shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Jas, I can''t believe he peed in your backyard, and then told you about it!! Maybe being 4 hours away from all family isn''t a bad thing...

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
NEAT- what do u think of the Mountain Buggy or Bumbleride double strollers???

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 1:35:06 PM
Author: nycbkgirl
butting in...
5.gif
...I''m thinking of the Bumbleride too!. It will be my one "splurge"
9.gif

It gets gerat reviews but I do know it may be a litle bulky when folded. That seems to be the main problem with it...but if that''s not a problem for you (it isn''t for me) then I think it''s a great option!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks M- its one of the really tough decisions to make...I am soooo confused!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
It''s definitely a tough decision. I walk a lot with my dog and the twins would come along...I also want to take them for light jogging, which is why I like the Bumbleride (it''s not for super long runs, but ok for light jogging).

I also read that side by side worked better once they are older because otherwise the one in the back may be kicking the one in the front (plus they start fighting about who goes on the front!).

I live in FL in the suburbs, so space is not an issue as far as parking, grocery shopping, malls, etc. I know my friend that lives in NYC didn''t want to get a side by side because she was worried about it fitting through tight places.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 2:53:17 PM
Author: Mandarine
It''s definitely a tough decision. I walk a lot with my dog and the twins would come along...I also want to take them for light jogging, which is why I like the Bumbleride (it''s not for super long runs, but ok for light jogging).

I also read that side by side worked better once they are older because otherwise the one in the back may be kicking the one in the front (plus they start fighting about who goes on the front!).

I live in FL in the suburbs, so space is not an issue as far as parking, grocery shopping, malls, etc. I know my friend that lives in NYC didn''t want to get a side by side because she was worried about it fitting through tight places.

thats exactly what im worried about...i live in nyc
33.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
My friend got the Jane Powertwin for her girls and so far she loves it!

She also got a couple of single strollers, for when her DH comes along because sometimes it''s easier to push two separate ones....or sometimes she only takes one of the girls, etc.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

Bumblerides are HUGE and don't get good reviews (from what I have read-seems like Mandarine has read different stuff!). But they are cute. They steer ok-nothing great IMO.

We have a Mountain Buggy jogger and it's fabulous-BUT it is HUUUUUGE. So it's not something you can get in and out of a car easily. It's a true jogging stroller not an everyday in and out of stores stroller.

The Baby Jogger City Mini Double gets good reviews and we liked that one. Check it out.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 3:34:54 PM
Author: neatfreak

Bumblerides are HUGE and don't get good reviews (from what I have read-seems like Mandarine has read different stuff!). But they are cute. They steer ok-nothing great IMO.

We have a Mountain Buggy jogger and it's fabulous-BUT it is HUUUUUGE. So it's not something you can get in and out of a car easily. It's a true jogging stroller not an everyday in and out of stores stroller.

The Baby Jogger City Mini Double gets good reviews and we liked that one. Check it out.

8.gif
i read they folded huge, not that they were huge in general. I was going my recommendations on the bump and on different blogs...nothing too scientific! hehe
3.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 3:43:40 PM
Date: 5/28/2009 3:34:54 PM

Author: neatfreak

8.gif
i reda they folded huge, not that they were huge in general. I was going my recommendations on the bump and on different blogs...nothing too scientific! hehe
3.gif

I went back and read my notes on it when I tried it at the store and they were:

1. Horrible fold. It's huge and hard to do.

2. Steers ok but not great.

3. When it does fold it's huge and wouldn't fit in most trunks.

So that was what I was basing it on. The reviews I read of people hating it are mostly from people who are getting it in and out of cars it seems...so it might work for NYC?

Mandarine I would really consider a BOB. Not nearly as cute but MUCH more functional IMO and a real jogger to boot.

I should also say that NOTHING is a substitute for trying it yourself. Strollers are such a personal thing that other people's reviews can only go so far. But DON'T order a stroller without trying it first IMO.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Neat!
9.gif

I thought the BOB also folded huge and maybe wasn''t as "comfy". Not that I would know since I haven''t seen either one!
I have to get down to a store to try different ones...although for now I''ll have the snap and go which should work fine for the first few months.
How about the Easy walker or something like that?. I saw something about those yesterday and looked like another good option.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 3:53:11 PM
Thanks Neat!
9.gif

I thought the BOB also folded huge and maybe wasn't as 'comfy'. Not that I would know since I haven't seen either one!

I have to get down to a store to try different ones...although for now I'll have the snap and go which should work fine for the first few months.

How about the Easy walker or something like that?. I saw something about those yesterday and looked like another good option.

I don't know anything about the easy walker-sorry! But I do know that I personally liked the bob a LOT better when I tried them both out side by side. My eyes liked the bumbleride of course...but now that I have kids I hate to say it but function over style really does rule!

Bob does also fold large-but for me it was going to be a jogging stroller-not an everyday stroller.

For an everyday I really recommend the Maclaren. You won't want anything huge and bulky-which is why I shied away from the Bumble b/c it was huge, hard to fit in the car, the steering wasn't amazing, and also the fold wasn't super easy. The Maclaren fold really is one hand-I can do it with one baby in my arm and it doesn't take up my entire trunk.

But that is just my opinion of course...

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Your opinion is always so welcomed
4.gif

I guess I want it all in one stroller...(shopping, light jogging, park, grocery shopping, etc)....but that seems to be the problem!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 4:09:55 PM
Your opinion is always so welcomed
4.gif

I guess I want it all in one stroller...(shopping, light jogging, park, grocery shopping, etc)....but that seems to be the problem!

Yeah...I did too and ended up with three! Lol. I guess my issue was that none of the "all in ones" did anything really well ya know?

So instead of spending $500 on one stroller I bought the SnG, the Maclaren, and then found a Mountain Buggy double jogger on clearance. More storage space certainly but each stroller does it''s job **really** well. And the Maclaren is pretty cute too.
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

Well I guess I've now 'graduated' from the preggo thread...rather daunting venturing over here, but again then so is having a real live baby! Still can't really believe that she's A) here B) ours and C) that I'm a Mummy. DH has taken to fatherhood like a duck to water and is being fantastic - cooks meals, does laundry, gets up at night if necessary - I'm very lucky and will miss him when he goes back to work...
15.gif

Things are so much better now that I have escaped from hospital. I've only nearly cried once today so that is progress, rather than all the time like last week! I'm horribly anxious all the time though and keep having nightmares about dropping her etc - yesterday we were on the third floor of a building and had to walk along a balcony which stretches the length of the building and is open on one side. I was practically hyper-ventilating by the time we got back down. It was the same feeling I get with vertigo. Very odd and I'm finding it rather disturbing as rationally I know that I'm just being stressy.

On the BF front things are also more positive - milk finally came in, hooray! How I envy all those women who have copious amounts from day 3... I'm still super-anxious over her consumption and prefer to express at the moment so I can see how much she is getting at each feed. The midwife came round and weighed her today and she's put on a fair bit since we left hospital - but still a good way down on her birth-weight.

I do breast-feed her at the end of every 'awake' session for 20 minutes or so as it helps her drop off to sleep - I find it rather soporific as well and half the time we both end up asleep - the My Brest Friend cushion has made a huge difference to my back compared with the pillopws I was using in hospital.

Still having a few issues getting her latched on properly - she hates being held at the back of the neck still - a midwife was really brutal with her trying to get her latched on and the poor little thing had mega bruises from the forceps and is a bit wary about being touched there now. Also she will keep sticking her hands in her mouth - favourite is to grap nipple with fist (obviously squeezing hard) and shove hand in mouth - which doesn't exactly work. I need to become an octopus in order to hold boob, her head, and both hands in a good position...
20.gif

Otherwise, she really is good as gold. Only really cries when I take her clothes off, or for a few minutes when she first wakes up. most of the time she's just very cuddly. If she does get going on the crying thing, she has a real temper and complete melt-downs till you pick her up.

I'm finding that my two best buys so far are the Tummy Tub bath, which she adores - although again I could do with having octo-arms as she's tiny in it and very slippery. It's very handy for dirty nappies - I just stick the changing mat in one end of our bath and the Tummy Tub at the other and plonk her in - we have had a lot of baths today!

The other one is the Bloom highchair which she sleeps in all day - the shape also means that she has to sleep on her back. She will not stay on her back in a cot but rolls straight onto her side. I spoke to the neonatologist about it as I was worried she'd keep going onto her front, but she reckoned with the mini co-sleeper being so narrow that she would find it more difficult to go all the way over and so just to let her side-sleep if that was her preference.

Courtney - those photos are just gorgeous, what a beautiful baby she is!
30.gif

Wow on the DTD discussions
23.gif
. I can't see me opting for that for a good long while yet - brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it! Luckily DH is more into hugs and cuddles so no pressure at all.
1.gif

Here's a pic of Daisy Bear in her podule...

daisy8.jpg

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Pandora - Awww, Daisy looks so sweet.
30.gif
George sleeps on his side without rolling onto his tummy quite oten, but if you're concerned, positioning their bottom arm out in front of them is supposed to do the trick - it's much harder for them to roll that way.

Jas - lol. It's so good to have you back.

George is usually fairly happy if someone's holding him, but can only stand to be put down for like 10 min at a time, and that only a few times a day. Even if we set him down dead asleep, he's up and wailing for us within 10 min. He's ok at night as long as I'm right next to him, facing him. If I roll away from him or get up to go to the bathroom, he'll start to sob. Hubby and I were trying to have DH scoot into my position when I get up to go to work, to fool George into thinking I'm still there, but he caught onto the game within two days and wasn't happy about it. I asked Hubby last weekend if George is the type of baby that people talk about when they talk about high needs babies and hubby got upset because George is not "high needs", he's just George. I don't think he's big on labelling people. But I'm still a bit jealous of the "easy" babies.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
She''s so cute! I''m happy isn''t going well for you.

And welcome to the mommy thread!
36.gif

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
pandora, welcome to the mommy thread! Glad you''re here and that your milk came in! Daisy is precious. Sorry you''re feeling so anxious. I think that''s pretty normal at first. I used to wake up (and still do sometimes) thinking that I had been holding her in my sleep but she wasn''t in my arms so I must have dropped her! scary! You''ll relax more as you get used to being a mom.

twin mamas and moms to be, sorry the stroller search can be so hard! when me and my twin were tiny my mom used to put two baby carriers on and have one of us in front and one in back! I''m not sure they even made double strollers back then!

jas, Sorry J was up so much last night! At least L is SSTN! That''s a blessing! I can''t believe you''re moving to be closer to your in laws since I remember some of your funny family drama from your pregnancy! Too funny about your FIL peeing in your yard! Tell him to get it out of his system now since that wont be allowed once you move in!

Mgal,
36.gif
for sleeping through the night un-swaddled and for your mom coming camping with you! I hope you have a great time this weekend! And congrats on starting to fit into pre-pregnancy clothes!

DD, glad to hear you''re feeling more fit. Don''t worry - the pounds will soon come off! That''s exciting that you''re getting a baby present. Don''t feel bad about researching it so much! You deserve the perfect present!

neat, that''s exciting that the boys are on the verge of siting by themselves and that Dex has 2 teeth!! That''s great that you''ll have a bigger place when you move! I can''t wait to be out of an apartment...

Kay, A is beautiful! What a doll! I''m in Orange County but travel down to SD for work all the time. When I was in SD for a friend''s wedding shower a few months ago we went to that famous pancake house for breakfast and all I can say is thank goodness I don''t live near there! YUM! I''d be a house! Thanks for your thoughts on day care - I think you''re right that the supervision of the care providers decreases the risks in many ways. Thanks also for the bottle recommendation - I''ll check them out!

Courtney, sorry you''ve had a rough couple of days. Do whatever you need to (and eat whatever you need to) to make things work! Caring for a newborn is NOT easy. My little girl can be very very fussy as well and I get frustrated too. Hang in there - it''ll get easier!

Q, how did your appointment go today?! Are you feeling relatively well? No morning sickness I hope! Did you get sick with M? Sorry to hear she is still not sleeping great yet. She''ll get there!

All''s well with me though S is still waking up more than I''d like her to at night. oh well. We went to the park today with a friend and her 11 month old and while there we met another mom who had this tiny (15 lbs) daughter who was only 9.5 months old but was walking! It was crazy. She was this adorable petite baby walking around. amazing!

My bro liked meeting S yesterday and it was great to see them together though she was really fussy most of the time he was visiting which was a bummer. I hope she''s less fussy this weekend when he''s staying with us.

Hope you''re all doing well!
Mrs

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 6:17:08 PM
Author: Blenheim

George is usually fairly happy if someone''s holding him, but can only stand to be put down for like 10 min at a time, and that only a few times a day. Even if we set him down dead asleep, he''s up and wailing for us within 10 min. He''s ok at night as long as I''m right next to him, facing him. If I roll away from him or get up to go to the bathroom, he''ll start to sob. Hubby and I were trying to have DH scoot into my position when I get up to go to work, to fool George into thinking I''m still there, but he caught onto the game within two days and wasn''t happy about it. I asked Hubby last weekend if George is the type of baby that people talk about when they talk about high needs babies and hubby got upset because George is not ''high needs'', he''s just George. I don''t think he''s big on labelling people. But I''m still a bit jealous of the ''easy'' babies.

blen, S is most certainly not an easy baby either and is upset a fair amount of the time... It''s not easy and I question my parenting skills on a regular basis since I wonder if I''m doing everything wrong which may be why she seems unhappy a lot. Just now, she woke up from a nap (without crying!!) and I was able to feed her and change her diaper and get her to play both on her back and stomach without her getting angry. WOOHOO!! Small victories are a blessing... Of course as I type this she has started to voice some discontent so I should run... I hope G has had a good day!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 8:23:38 PM
Author: Mrs

Date: 5/28/2009 6:17:08 PM
Author: Blenheim

George is usually fairly happy if someone''s holding him, but can only stand to be put down for like 10 min at a time, and that only a few times a day. Even if we set him down dead asleep, he''s up and wailing for us within 10 min. He''s ok at night as long as I''m right next to him, facing him. If I roll away from him or get up to go to the bathroom, he''ll start to sob. Hubby and I were trying to have DH scoot into my position when I get up to go to work, to fool George into thinking I''m still there, but he caught onto the game within two days and wasn''t happy about it. I asked Hubby last weekend if George is the type of baby that people talk about when they talk about high needs babies and hubby got upset because George is not ''high needs'', he''s just George. I don''t think he''s big on labelling people. But I''m still a bit jealous of the ''easy'' babies.

blen, S is most certainly not an easy baby either and is upset a fair amount of the time... It''s not easy and I question my parenting skills on a regular basis since I wonder if I''m doing everything wrong which may be why she seems unhappy a lot. Just now, she woke up from a nap (without crying!!) and I was able to feed her and change her diaper and get her to play both on her back and stomach without her getting angry. WOOHOO!! Small victories are a blessing... Of course as I type this she has started to voice some discontent so I should run... I hope G has had a good day!
I agree with your husband Blen that you don''t need to add a label to George... but it sounds like he is a baby who needs a lot of attention and understanding
9.gif
My friend''s second childm her son, sounds a lot like George, and maybe like Sage too. He cried a lot when he was young, constantly and inconsolably. It was so hard on my friend
39.gif
She eventually discovered that sometimes shw couldn''t console him and she shouldn''t be hard on herself. He also wanted to be held most of the time and slept with my friend for a long time. He is now 9 months old and is groing in his confidence daily. He still liked to be near mama and in her arms as much as he can, but he is also an explorer and very physical and a smily goofy baby. My point is that if you have a sensitive baby, it gets better and easier as your child gets older and develops new social skills and self-soothing skills. And how nice to have a baby that loves you so much
30.gif

Blen How is you hubby liking being at home? How are you doing back at work away from G?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 5:03:38 PM
Author: Pandora II
I do breast-feed her at the end of every ''awake'' session for 20 minutes or so as it helps her drop off to sleep - I find it rather soporific as well and half the time we both end up asleep - the My Brest Friend cushion has made a huge difference to my back compared with the pillopws I was using in hospital.

Still having a few issues getting her latched on properly - she hates being held at the back of the neck still - a midwife was really brutal with her trying to get her latched on and the poor little thing had mega bruises from the forceps and is a bit wary about being touched there now. Also she will keep sticking her hands in her mouth - favourite is to grap nipple with fist (obviously squeezing hard) and shove hand in mouth - which doesn''t exactly work. I need to become an octopus in order to hold boob, her head, and both hands in a good position...
20.gif
Welcome Pandora! Good to *see* you here!
2.gif
Daisy is so cute and I am glad she is being easy. I hope she keeps it up! I also feel more anxiety having a child, and I am not an anxious person at all. I am more nervous in the car, mostly, since it is such a common place for accidents, and since reading about Puffy spilling hot tea on her son I am so worried about that too!
32.gif
But it does get easier that''s for sure.

I had the same issues with Hunter at times. As you know, my milk also took a while to come in. As your milk gets more free flowing her feeding will get better. Seems that it takes about 3 weeks for boobs to get good at supplying milk and for the baby to get good at sucking, so no matter what you have to deal with an annoying first three weeks. Hunter also used to put his fist in front of his mouth when trying to eat
20.gif
All of this is why BFing a newborn is so annoying. Now I can feed hunter anywhere and laying in bed too, which is wonderful for all of us!

When my milk was taking a long time to come in I was told to BF for 10 minutes then feed Hunter 2 OZ. by bottle and then pump for 15 minuts. This worked great at getting my supply to come in! Eventually you will just need to trust the diapers - 6 heavy wet per day and 3 or mor poops for a baby over a week old means enough milk!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Courtney,

7487. So PRECIOUS!!

I love them all, but it''s so powerful to see the camera catch the bond between you and your daughter. Lovely. Made me tear up... aww! Congratulations again on such a wonderful accomplishment of becoming a mommy! She''s a cutie pie!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Pave,

Gosh, I just love his hair!!! It''s awesome! The smiley pic just way too cute!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
DD - I don't feel like we need to put a label on George, don't worry.
3.gif
We (usually) don't feel like he's that difficult because our style of parenting works very well with a baby who needs a lot of touch - we were already planning on wearing him a bit and sleeping near him (in the cosleeper, which he won't tolerate for more than 10 min), and we're just doing both of those a little closer and a little more than we had planned. I do wish for hubby's sake that we could convince G to sleep in the mornings after I get out of bed.

I've been doing a lot better than I've expected. It's good to get back into the swing of things, and I get to see G a lot more than I thought I'd be able to on weekdays as he spends all night cuddled up to my chest. DH is holding up reasonably well for the most part, although I know that he really wants to find a job. He was doing quite a bit worse today than usual - he just crashed when I got home, for about an hour, then woke up and kept talking about how he doesn't know how SAHMs do it and just generally looked overwhelmed - so I tried to kick him out of the house for a while. He didn't want to leave, and I even found a movie that was going to start playing 20 min later to try to give him something to do, but no go. So I manufactured a grocery list of things that we "desperately needed" for dinner tonight and made him go get it, and he seems to be his usual chipper self now.

Mrs - it's so hard visiting people when they just want to fuss. I hope this weekend goes better. (Edited as this is to Mrs and not to Sage, haha). wow, that's so much to do with no fussing! George woke from a nap without immediately screaming on Monday - and in fact start waving his arms around and smiling at them - which was just weird for him.
3.gif
Hope she's doing better by now.

Ok fussy baby for me too now.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Kay~I can''t believe how big she''s getting! And her hair....so cute!!

Pandora~What a sweet girl!

Blen and Mrs~T was not an easy baby so I can totally relate! T had colic and it was because of her food intollerance and her reflux but it took us a LONG time to get it figured out and get her feeling better. She cried a lot and didn''t like to be put down. I was the only one that could calm her down so I rarely left the house. It was hard. By 5 months she was much better and by 7 months she was an "easy baby"
21.gif
All this to say it gets better!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow thread moved too fast for me lol....will get to everyone a little later...

M- I will check out the jane..don''t think I''ve seen that one

Neat- that''s why we love u :)....ur research is top notch!....I will probably end up going with the maclaren..bc I need lightweight..and I may end up getting a single stroller as well just in case. I will go see them in person saturday. I can''t wait to get this stroller situation over with!!

Pandora- soooo glad to see you here! Daisy is a gem. I remember the fears of dropping her etc...and I cried the first 3 wks at home! Just enjoy mommyhood..its really flying by for me..6wks already!

I had another twin mommy meltdown moment...my sis was taking a nap at home..so I was alone with the 2 lo''s (it was around 8pm) and they were both screaming at the same time and I was overwhelmed and had to wake sis to come and get jackie while I dealt with jon''s colic...he was fussy from 8 until I just put him down 1030!...I gave gripe water and maybe that helped?!.....just one of those times I get upset again that dh is unable to help me at night and that im incapable of raising my kids on my own
7.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can believe it, Hunter has a full on cold!
39.gif
Poor little guy can''t really breath and he is congested and sneezy and coughing. Serves us right for taking him on a place so young, I always get sick on the plane. And poor me because he wakes to nurse more often. But at leats he is still the same smily goofy guy, even sick. He is a lot like his daddy, I''ve never seen him in a bad mood either.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Jas, I didn''t know you had twins! They are so adorable! Ever since I found out I was pregnant with twins I''ve felt a little isolated from other pregnant women/moms because I feel like my parenting experience will be different. Whenever DH and I see twins we get SO excited and immediately ask their parents all kinds of questions, ha.
9.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I''m behind so won''t be able to post to everyone, so please forgive me!

Curly: hey girl!! I can''t believe Lily is crawling and starting to pull up! Any advice on how to get C to crawl forward? She''s crawling backwards but can''t figure out forwards! I put toys in front of her and she bounces as if trying to propel then gets annoyed and goes backwards and rolls! What preztel sticks are you giving Lily? I''m so nervous about choking that I give C littttttle pieces of fruit only. But she lovvvves puffs and water too! Lot of sucking on the sippy cup and no idea what is coming out, but she seems to be enjoying it!

Qtiekiki: CONGRATS!!!! So happy for you and can''t wait to heear what life is like with 2!! You''ll do fine :)

Kay/Pandora: great pics!!

Not much more new from me..like I said above, we''re at the "trying to crawl FORWARD" stage and picking up mooshed puffs from everywhere!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results