shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommies - What do you wish you''d had with you in the Delivery Room?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
As usual, I am way slow, so you have probably received all the answers you might need...
will you be going to ante-natal classes with her? If so, and if she is interested in an active birth, you may be able to be more hands-on with the nitty gritty of natural labour. However, she may find she prefers her husband to help her with the more phycail aspects of labour positioning, personally I found it extremely comforting to be able to 'hang' off my husband (around his neck) and kind of lean into the contractons.

When it comes to emergency kits, the first thing I would pack would be a little emergency food kit - herbal teas perhaps, usual tea and coffee I guess, and a couple of packets of dried crackery things and perhaps chocolate. Some people like to suck on lolly pops. And, this one's really important for a long labour - and it was lifesaver for me in my first labour, as it went on and on for so long, complete with projectile vomiting (sounds awful doesn't it, it's not so bad) : frozen fruit juice or icy pole sticks.

Depending upon how organised she is, you could consider keeping a copy of her birth plan, a list of all the telephone numbers of all the people you need to call when she does go into labour.

No doubt she will have her own hospital bag in her car or ready to go, but I guess you could consider a spare little toiletry bag for her, complete with one pair undies, bra and a comforting pjs set or similar and warm robe or topper for her to wear. Oh, and thongs for those hospital showers if she's fussy.

And don't forget change for magazine and other items to settle her in!

I was keen for music in the first birth, but honestly I think it would have been too distracting IRL.
Turn your phone off. Don't take a photo without asking permission (probably after all the gory details are done!) she might not be able to talk much throughout the whole thing, I think I scarcely uttered a sound for 40 hours, my family were a little shocked.

The best thing my sister did for me was to shower me in the middle of the night at the hospital when everyone else had given up and passed out in the labour room.

Just being there, and perhaps playing tag with her man, is the best thing you can do for her. Stay calm. And if you've never been involved in labour before, read up a little bit so you can feel comfortable with what is happening!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 5:29:33 AM
Author: LaraOnline
As usual, I am way slow, so you have probably received all the answers you might need...
will you be going to ante-natal classes with her? If so, and if she is interested in an active birth, you may be able to be more hands-on with the nitty gritty of natural labour. However, she may find she prefers her husband to help her with the more phycail aspects of labour positioning, personally I found it extremely comforting to be able to ''hang'' off my husband (around his neck) and kind of lean into the contractons.

When it comes to emergency kits, the first thing I would pack would be a little emergency food kit - herbal teas perhaps, usual tea and coffee I guess, and a couple of packets of dried crackery things and perhaps chocolate. Some people like to suck on lolly pops. And, this one''s really important for a long labour - and it was lifesaver for me in my first labour, as it went on and on for so long, complete with projectile vomiting (sounds awful doesn''t it, it''s not so bad) : frozen fruit juice or icy pole sticks.

Depending upon how organised she is, you could consider keeping a copy of her birth plan, a list of all the telephone numbers of all the people you need to call when she does go into labour.

No doubt she will have her own hospital bag in her car or ready to go, but I guess you could consider a spare little toiletry bag for her, complete with one pair undies, bra and a comforting pjs set or similar and warm robe or topper for her to wear. Oh, and thongs for those hospital showers if she''s fussy.

And don''t forget change for magazine and other items to settle her in!

I was keen for music in the first birth, but honestly I think it would have been too distracting IRL.
Turn your phone off. Don''t take a photo without asking permission (probably after all the gory details are done!) she might not be able to talk much throughout the whole thing, I think I scarcely uttered a sound for 40 hours, my family were a little shocked.

The best thing my sister did for me was to shower me in the middle of the night at the hospital when everyone else had given up and passed out in the labour room.

Just being there, and perhaps playing tag with her man, is the best thing you can do for her. Stay calm. And if you''ve never been involved in labour before, read up a little bit so you can feel comfortable with what is happening!
Wonderful suggestions, and good things to remember!

I unfortunately can not attend the classes with her, as she is far away.
7.gif
But she will be sending me all of the materials so I can read up. Her husband will be the more hands on one, I''m there mostly for moral support.
1.gif

There will be no pictures until, as you put it, all the gory details are done, LOL!

Very sweet of your sister to help with the shower - I hope I''ll be able to do something similarly helpful for my sis.
1.gif

I am definitely going to read everything I can get my hands on, so I have a better idea of what is happening!

Thank you for the suggestions - I''ve got months to go folks, so keep ''em coming!
9.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lip chap is a great idea, didn''t think of that. While you are in labor they don''t let you have anything but juices and jellos, so by the time you are done, you are ravenous. I ate every bit of my hospital food up and looked forward to the next meal. Plus if she is planning to breastfeed good to have plenty of liquids around. Myself though I normally love reading, at the hospital was not in the mood to read for some reason, either preferred a little tv or simply rest and relax (and of course look at the newborn). Definitely let the mom "clean up" before snapping photos! One of the few photos I have of my second born in my arms right at the delivery came this close to full frontal exposure, which I really didn''t want to memoralize.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 4:13:02 PM
Author: part gypsy
The lip chap is a great idea, didn''t think of that. While you are in labor they don''t let you have anything but juices and jellos, so by the time you are done, you are ravenous. I ate every bit of my hospital food up and looked forward to the next meal. Plus if she is planning to breastfeed good to have plenty of liquids around. Myself though I normally love reading, at the hospital was not in the mood to read for some reason, either preferred a little tv or simply rest and relax (and of course look at the newborn). Definitely let the mom ''clean up'' before snapping photos! One of the few photos I have of my second born in my arms right at the delivery came this close to full frontal exposure, which I really didn''t want to memoralize.
My mother actually took photos of me on the surgery bed in stirrups, with the surgery light on my nether regions, with the doctor at the business end with forceps! I guess she was excited!? I can''t believe she did that!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Other than chapstick, there''s not much else I needed when I was in labor. I would say the most important thing is to just be there for your sister. Every woman is different so talk to her about what kind of support and encouragement she would like.

Congrats to your sister! That''s very exciting!

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
I haven't read all of the responses but wanted to offer that I ended up having an emergency c-section and in the rush to get me to the OR, my husband didn't bring the camera. Of course the most important thing is that our little girl was born happy and healthy but it would have been nice to have those pictures. So I do suggest that the labor partner wear the camera so there's no way to forget it when the time comes!!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
I'm having a baby in 8 weeks!!! Here is what I'm planning to pack with me:

BAG FOR HOSPITAL

Camera
Rubber Flip Flips 
Onesies (2)
1 newborn outfit 
pacifier
Slippers
miracle blanket/swaddle blanket
Nursing tank 
2 night gowns
Robe
Snacks/gum/mints
Nursing bras (2)
Nursing tank top
1 pair of loose sweatpants 
Lip balm
toothbrushes (mine & his) 
Toothpaste 
Shampoo 
Tolietries
Soap 
Hair clips/scrunchy
Sweater
Socks
underwear  
$1 bills for vending machines/change 
Cell phone charger 
Computer & charger 
Baby Book for stamped footprints
Magazines
ear plugs
boppy

GOOD LUCK!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Great List Miss Fortune!

And thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results