shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommies Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
butterfly, my hubby was in the *you''re crazy* camp too for a while. it really wasn''t until just last feb. that he said he''d be up for trying for one more (of course a few glasses of wine during the conversation sure didn''t hurt
31.gif
). seriously though, I really did not think he''d ever change his mind, b/c I wanted a 3rd a lot earlier than he did, but now that our youngest is almost 4 I guess the timing is ok. I can say though, most definitely this one will be our last. If you really do want another one, I hope he''ll change his mind for you.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well most of you know baby Tessa will be a week tomorrow. I just had my first proud mommy moment at her first doc''s appointment. She is 3 ozs shy of her birth weight!
36.gif
And to think I was worried. She lost a lot of weight in the hospital. Last night was a little rough for us. She just cried and cried and we had no idea how we could soothe her. She seems to have one 4 hour sleep stretch a night. My doc said it was okay to let her sleep but after 4 hours wake her for a feeding. Otherwise she eats about every 2 hours. Luckily she is pretty fast (15 mins). I still haven''t gotten the hang of the burping thing. And her poop was green today
33.gif
Maybe something I ate? It was pretty gross but I am sure that will only get worse!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
hey tacori...i bf too and my sons poop was green for a while. the dr. said it was very normal in bf babies and that i''d probably see a rainbow of colors before he was 1...lol....hang in there it gets easier, but it takes some time...meanwhile sleep and relax when she sleeps... and drink TONS of water. you''ll feel so much better.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Ok - I want to play!!
9.gif

As some of you know, I am the proud momma to my daughter Ashlyn. She is just shy of her 6 month birthday - I can''t believe she''s already half a year old!! It goes soooooo fast! We had a rough start because of reflux and constipation issues, but she has almost completely overcome those issues. But now she''s teething!
20.gif
It''s always something! But Ash is a fiesty, no-nonsense little girl already - just like her mommy! She loves attention, loves strangers and smiling and flirting, but she will also let you know (very loudly, might I add) if she''s unhappy with something and believe me, you better fix it fast or she will go crazy!

Tacori, congrats again! It''s the most amazing feeling, isn''t it??
30.gif

To all the other mommies - hello!!
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Irish, it is amazing but I am still slightly freaked out by it all. She is a sweetie. I feel very lucky.
16.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 5:53:38 PM
Author: shelly1170
Thanks girls! I change from day to day. sometimes I think it''s great to have them close together as all they will grow up together etc but other days I wonder how I''ll cope!

As for putting baby in their own room... Penny went straight into a snuggle bed (do you have those in the States?) in her cot in her own room the day she came home from hospital. Her room is next to ours. I didn''t even have a baby monitor! Penny loves going to bed, day or night. She physically relaxes as soon as she is put in her cot.

Everyone family is different though. Do what you feel is right.
shelly,
what is a snuggle bed?

re how will you cope?? the days will be so different. It is amazing bc when you have only one you think, I can''t imagine having enough time, energy for 2 or 3, etc. But when #2 comes around it is like it is built in to change from mothering 1 to 2. Your older child will have to sometimes wait for you to get to them (which is not bad) and they will learn how to love and share with a sib.
My boys sleep together in two toddler beds pushed together. It warms my heart when I go in at night to cover them while they are asleep and see them snuggled up together.
The only thing I would change would be to add 1 more
31.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I asked Andrey to open this. Mommies unite!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Great thread!!!!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Us barely preggos can lurk here to partake of your wisdom!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So here is a question for the experienced mommies, is it normal for her to cut back on her formula intake now that she is eating baby food? I worry she isn''t hydrated enough and try to give her a sippy cup of water (which she hasn''t figured out yet). Any tips?

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh yay, I''m glad to have this thread back!! Thanks for having Andrey reopen it, Tacori!

Now, regarding your feeding question, I would say that Lily definitely reduced her formula intake when she started solids. She always liked a bottle in the morning and one at night but during the day, she barely drank anything at daycare. I started giving smaller amounts so I didn''t waste all that formula and was lucky if she had 4-6 oz. during the day. I definitely think you should keep offering her the sippy of water. She''ll eventually figure it out and think she''s really cool once she can use it! And as long as she has wet diapers, you probably don''t have to worry about dehydration. I''m sure others will chime in with more advice but I think it''s totally normal...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
tacori, I only did formula with my first but if I remember correctly, she did cut down on her drinking once she stared eating more solids. I do think it's normal. Just like when you nurse and add food, it cuts down on the nursing sessions.

tgal- you mentioned in the preggo thread about wanting to print it out to keep. I was thinking the same thing. that is the only place I even wrote Jake's birth story so i really do need to print it for his scrapbook. Plus, all the great advice and words of encouragement along the way really is priceless. Let me know if you figure out an easy and quick way to print.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Tacori~Thanks for the info on the other thread about the thing for the shopping cart/highchair. I stopped by Target last night to get one and they didn''t have it. I''m going to try a different Target today.
9.gif
2.gif
Also, so glad you asked about the solids/formula question, as I''ve been wondering the same thing. Part of the reason our doc wanted us to try to do solids (expecially 2X a day) is because T has issues eating formula so I didn''t know if her lack of desire for a bottle during the day was reflux/intollerance related or normal since she''s eating so well on solids.

Ella~I tried prunes today! I put them in her cereal and she LOVED it! I''ll let you know what happens regarding the "aftermath" of prunes!
21.gif
Regarding how you said you wonder if the arching is just Gabe, I often wonder if T''s personallity doesn''t have something to do with her lack of desire to take a bottle some times. I just think she''s just too busy to take the time to drink a bottle. Seriously, this girl takes EVERYTHING in. I''m so relieved to hear that you do think that he is growing out of it...for his sake, for your sake and for me to hope it''ll happen soon for us!
2.gif

Curly and MrsS~Thanks to your responses to Tacoris question-as I said earlier, I was wondering the same thing!

Well, we were going to head to the pool this afternoon but Tayva is the anti-napper today....only 30 minute nap since she woke up. So, I''m not in the mood to risk a breakdown in public
3.gif
so we''re just going to hang out at home. BBL

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Curly and MrsS. I mean it makes sense why she would not be as hungry/thirsty with the added food. Her poop has gotten harder that is why I was a little worried. But she seems to have lots of wet diapers. Maybe it is just yet another change in their digestive system. Curly I hope you are right about the sippy cup! I am sure with time she''ll "get it". She did drink from my water glass a week or so ago. Maybe she''ll skip the sippy cup all together.

Burk, T loves prunes. I guess b/c they are sweet. It did loosen things up but not too bad. More like what her poop used to be before solids. I would get a shopping cart cover with toys (if possible). Anything to keep my monster entertained.
37.gif

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Tacori~I''ll be looking for one with toys (they are attched, right? So she can''t throw them?) My T''s poop has been much harder too. I''m glad to hear that''s fairly normal. Tayva LOVES the nubby sippy cup with the soft nipple like top. She sees that thing and starts reaching for it and once she has it will not let go. I think partially because she likes to "chew" on it to relieve her teeth but she tries to drink from it. She still hasn''t figured out you have to tip it to get something out, so I have to help with that. I don''t know how much water to let her drink though? Thoughts on that anyone? I don''t let her drink juice, just water....but how much water is okay? She''s probably only drinking a couple ounces a day now.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 2:46:14 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Thanks Curly and MrsS. I mean it makes sense why she would not be as hungry/thirsty with the added food. Her poop has gotten harder that is why I was a little worried.

girl, just wait. the baby poop once they are on solids will get harder. just wait until she's on regular food..

Burk, I'm not sure about the water. I didn't give it to my girls at all until they were 6 months and even then not a lot.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Burk, yes they are attached and seemed to hold her attention! I have tried nuby (since they are BPA free) and Avent''s new BPA free sippy. Maybe she just isn''t ready. Do you use bottled or tap water? I have no idea how much is okay...hopefully someone will comment on that.

MrsS, it smells so bad now too!
14.gif
I hate it. Oh, BTW I need help!!! How can I force her still while changing her diaper? It is getting so hard. I try giving her a toy to distract her but she just rolls and tries to crawl away. Not cute!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
If you find a way to get her to get her still while changing you better share! My T is either trying to roll over or eating her feet. There is no "still" any more. I''m going to call my pedi and see what he says about the water. I''ll let ya know. I don''t give her hardly any now but she does like it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friend told me to change her on the floor with a foot on each of her arms (to keep her from rolling) but I must be doing it wrong b/c she wiggles and gets free.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I have a question or request for the mommies (from a visitor from the preggo thread
2.gif
):

List the top 3 registry items you received (or gifts) that you can''t live without.

Similarly, list the top 3 that were total wastes. I''m especially interested in items you thought would be great, but once baby was here--realized were useless and a marketing scam!

Thanks!!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
janine, great question! You know I won''t abandon you on the other thread either, I''m straddling the fence since I''m in both camps!!

OK, greatest registry gifts:
1. Boppy
2. Pack n Play
3. Bumbo seat

Totally useless (at least for me):
1. Wipes warmer (I didn''t actually register for this but someone bought it for me and it''s still in the box!)
2. Humidifier (I''m not sure why they make you feel like you HAVE to have one--ours is still in the box, maybe some day...)
3. Fancy burp cloths (your mileage may vary on this one but my kid didn''t spit up so we have tons of these cloths and cloth diapers that have NEVER been used, but I guess they are good to have just in case)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
tacori, I don''t have a secret to prevent the diaper changing wiggles. changing her on the floor is a good idea so at least so can''t wiggle off of something and hurt herself.

greatest gifts:

1. pack n play
2. portable swing
3. miracle blanket (although I bought my own, I would recommend it to anyone to add to a registry)

useless:

1. diaper pail/genie
2. wipes warmer (i just didn''t want my kids to get used to the warm wipes b/c half the time i''d be changing them someplace where I didn''t have the warmer.
3. changing table- I did use mine with my first but found that most of the time I ended up changing her on the couch or floor. I sold it. I usually change jake in pack n play.

curly- the humidifier''s come in handy if your little one ever has a cold or is stuffy. we bought the Vick''s version and you can add liquid vicks and it really helped my girls to sleep. hopefully you won''t every need yours though
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey mommies!

Haven''t read the thread yet but came over here to say hello!
35.gif

Will read and catch up and am excited to see this thread start to take off again. Hopefully it will be well trafficked and Andrey will make it a sticky.
1.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Re getting babies to stay still during nappy changes, I wish I knew. My daughter is notorious for refusing to stay still in any situation and the older and stronger she gets the harder it gets to change her. I''ve tried all sorts of tricks and often find myself having to sing silly little songs to her to try and distract her.

Any other toddler mummies contemplating toilet-training? My daughter is two and I''m not sure when to start with her. With her older brother (now 3.5) I had a hard time convincing him to wear underwear, but once he got the hang of it he never looked back so I know it is best to wait until she seems ready. Again I think the problem will be getting her to sit still long enough! The one time she did manage to go on the potty she got so excited she stood up to have a look and got it everywhere.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
softly- I didn''t potty train my girls until close to 3 and both were interested and ready. I think if you push them too soon they relapse and are prone to more accidents. neither of my girls had one accident once they were in panties. we did do the princess pull-ups for a while which they liked too. some kids get it early but I''d just let your daughter take the lead.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure you are right MrsSalvo. My son was 3 before we broached the subject with him and it did end up going really smoothly once we convinced him to wear his undies, although that was a battle in itself, but he also has never had an accident. It''s funny, I see so many other mums fretting about this (myself included), not to mention a few who like to ask why my daughter is still in nappies, when really who remembers in later life how long a child took learn to use the toilet?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom said both my bro and I were potty trained at about a year and 8 months. I think she has a hazy memory...that seems so darn young. But I was in cloth diapers, so maybe that is why? Hm...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t use the humidifier either...the ped said we don''t need it unless the kid is sick.

I also posted on the gear thread about the peapod...I really like that for a napping bed over a pack and play for travel.

OK, top four things that really came in handy for me...keep in mind baby is only three months old so I haven''t tried the bumbo, etc.

1) My strollers: Snap and Go and BOB .
30.gif

2) Miracle blanket (bought for myself)
3) Papasan/Swing
4) cheapo cloth diapers to use as burp/drool/spit up cloths. I need to get more!!!!

(honorable mention goes to the Sony Baby monitor because I am deaf in my left ear and need it to hear my daughter at night even though she is in the next room and another mention goes to the ERGO baby carrier which I think I am going to get a LOT of use out of.)

Useless stuff..(I didn''t actually get this stuff because I didn''t register for it because I heard it was useless)

1) Wipes Warmer
2) Diaper Pail
3) Breastpump (because I had no booby milk, otherwise this would have been on my most useful list). In fact, I might recommend renting for the first month to see how things go...high end consumer breastpumps are PRICEY and I know more than one person who didn''t end up using theirs.

Oh, and let me tell you...if you have a girl, DO NOT BUY dresses between 3-6 months. That''s what EVERYONE gets you! Amelia is going to be naked after she passes 6 months!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
^^ My husband's family swears they started potty traning at one & were totally toilet trained shortly there after. They said in Europe they start/started earlier?
33.gif

My daughter is pretty much potty trained now & she decided to do mostly on her own. I used to put the toilet down & sit her on it every now & then but she would stand on it to get to higher things so I would say forget it & put it up. Well, one day I just got sick of her taking her diapers off or putting her hands in it & putting poop around the house so... I took it out & said from now on you poop & pee in here...Well a few hours after telling her that I looked over to see her using it. She has been diaper free day & night & doing great since. I know I got really, really lucky. She turned 2 in Feb.

One thing I know for sure is forgetting about forcing them I think it backfires. I think people asking if your kid is potty trained & then saying negative things when they arent causes people to start rushing their kids. Unless you were buying my daughters diapers it was/is none of you business if she is potty trained, working on it or not, you know? My husbands family drove me crazy
32.gif

As for gifts I loved & not so much. I know for sure I didnt like getting mostly 0-3 month stuff. Not one article of clothing was on my registry. I never really used my Diaper Champ. it was much easier to put diapers in bags & then into the garage trash can.
Things I loved: the bumbo, space saver highchair, Graco Tot Block

Wanted to say that I did appreciate everything I got since I know no one had to buy anything. I sent a lot of the stuff I used & didnt to the Philippines

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
But when is it too old for a kid not to be fully potty trained? I am just curious because my nephew is turning 4 in a couple of weeks and he still has accidents and wears pull-ups to sleep. I thought that a 4 y.o. should be fully potty trained, but am I too harsh? Most of the time he has accidents is because he plays and ignore the urge to go pee til it''s too late to get to the toilet on time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results