shape
carat
color
clarity

PS members....what is the sq footage of your home?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Our Manhattan co-op is about 2,000 square feet with a fire place, 6 rooms, 3 baths and is now worth many times what we paid for it. I cannot believe the prices of Manhattan real estate. Every time we think the bubble will burst, prices go up and up.
Our apartment is now worth close to 3 million. It is a very nice apartment in a great neighborhood but by no means top luxury.
When the building went co-op about 23 years ago, we were paying $500 a month rent.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 11:03:50 AM
Author: AmandaPanda
We live in Manhattan but we don''t own, just rent. It''s a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom with a dining room. I think it''s around 1200 square feet. If it were possible to buy it (which it isn''t), it would probably be between $1.5 - 2 million. Prices are so crazy here!
Right on the money! We bought ours for $1.25m and with renovations the valuer said it will sell for $1.6m. I am so glad that we got our debts out of the way two years ago. Not only do you need 20% downpayment but most co-ops demand to see over £100k in assets in your bank account (though this can be manipulated, of course
2.gif
).

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
My house is 3600 sf, 4 BR, 4 BA. We sold our 6200 sf. 5/5 house (it really was TOO big) 3 years ago to buy this one, which is in a gated community, with all houses on a lake. (I''m in central California.) The value has gone up 50% since we bought it!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
"My God! 20 acres in Northern Virginia!!! Wow. Nice Parents! Whereabouts? "

30min south of DC. Land prices are crazy and keep going up, so my parents are amazing!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our house is about 3200 Sq FT, 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths . We bought it 10 years ago for $450k and the houses on our street now go for over a million. We love this house and will never sell it, it''s home.
2.gif

Jenjen

Rough_Rock
I lived in Raleigh for 9 years while I was in college and grad school, and during that time it really exploded! There are lots of transplants from other parts of the country because it''s cheaper (for now) and the job/school situation is pretty good. I was always a renter---boy, my parents wish they would have bought a rental property when I started school, they could have made a bundle.

I just moved to DC for a post-doc position, so I''m renting up here, too. Prices for housing here are just insane! It sucks to throw money away on rent, but with my salary, it just isn''t possible to buy. I''d like to move back to Raleigh in a few years and be able to buy a house----I hope it''s still possible!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
5600 sq ft.

5 bedrooms, 4.5 baths, gameroom, 2 attics

2 fireplaces

exercise room

2 staircases

pool and spa

1 acre

sub. to Houston

7 years old

would go on market for around 800,000

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Our house is a 3BR, 1.5 batch colonial with a fireplace.....just bought 14 months ago.

1815 sq. ft on the main 2 floors; another potential 600-700 sq ft. in the full walk-up attic if we finish one side (the other side will always be storage because we need it.) Basement is unfinished - garage on one side, water heater, workbench on the other.

We could have bought a lot more, but we didn''t want more. It''s just the two of us; no children to follow, and we wanted a house that we wouldn''t have to be slaves to. We wanted a manageable house payment and a manageable "upkeep" load.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Our house is +/- 3400 sq ft. We built it 5 years ago. (We're in the So Ca desert.) I see all these BIG beautiful homes around here, and am always tempted. (I love houses.....) Then I remember the upkeep on a big home and realize that what we have is just perfect for us.

We have a little place in the mountains that is a 1400 sq feet, 2 bd, 2 bth, 1 car garage townhouse. It has skyrocketed in price since we bought it 3.5 years ago due to the run up in the housing market in general. I think that is just nuts, especially for a ski town.

It's interesting to see the big variations in housing costs. I always knew they were there, but recently with everything going up everywhere, I didn't know if it had leveled the prices at all. And, boy am I glad to be out of the Bay Area market. It sounds just nuts, considering the age and size of so many of the places like Willow Glen!

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
well... i rent, but this is home to me!

after climbing your way up 4 flights of old wooden stairs you will arrive at the front door of my VAST and SPACIOUS 360 sf stuido apartment
2.gif

i have 10'' ceilings, 3 windows with wonderful northern exposure overlooking a tree lined street, hardwood floors, enough room for a bed AND a couch w/ space to walk around. the "cooks kitchen" comes complete with an apartment sized refrigerator and range and still has ample counter space to accomodate a drying rack for dishes (about 1 foot)

35.gif

** for all of you new yorkers, that is carpetable SF and not rentable**

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 8:58:39 PM
Author: Mara
It''s so tempting thinking about moving to a place like NC where $350k or similar buys you a 3000 sq ft home. We could pay cash for it. Oh well CA has great weather.
2.gif
Our townhouse is 1850 sq ft, 3/3 and 1 fireplace...hehehee.
You could pay cash for a $350k home?!? No wonder you''re getting a new upgrade every six months!

singer

Brilliant_Rock
This is not directed to anyone in particular, but does anyone here feel like we are focusing our energy on all the wrong things? I mean, what is life really all about? How big our diamond is (or will be in the future)? How much our homes are worth? How BIG our homes are? How many fireplaces we have (which most people probably don't even use)? How much we make a year? If only we spent as much time with our spouses, kids, and other loved ones as we do worrying about these things, maybe we would begin to undertand what is REALLY important in life. I am surprised how much time I have been spending on this site, just chatting about jewelry, but this thread tops them all (I mean, it does seem like some people are just bragging about their income and huge, expensive homes). I am not saying that I don't think about these things from time to time. This is something I need to work on (within myself)but I think, in time, I will find that none of these things really matter. However, it is difficult to adopt this mindset in a materialistic world such as the one we all live in today. Just curious if anyone agrees with me here (probably not
40.gif
) or what your thoughts on this are. I guess I should have started a new thread for this.
20.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My house is 2,600 square feet. Three bedrooms, two and a half baths. It''s big, but I think it''d be better with one additional bedroom & a few more square feet! ;-)

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2006 1:11:29 AM
Author: singer
This is not directed to anyone in particular, but does anyone here feel like we are focusing our energy on all the wrong things? I mean, what is life really all about? How big our diamond is (or will be in the future)? How much our homes are worth? How BIG our homes are? How many fireplaces we have (which most people probably don''t even use)? How much we make a year? If only we spent as much time with our spouses, kids, and other loved ones as we do worrying about these things, maybe we would begin to undertand what is REALLY important in life. I am surprised how much time I have been spending on this site, just chatting about jewelry, but this thread tops them all (I mean, it does seem like some people are just bragging about their income and huge, expensive homes). I am not saying that I don''t think about these things from time to time. This is something I need to work on (within myself)but I think, in time, I will find that none of these things really matter. However, it is difficult to adopt this mindset in a materialistic world such as the one we all live in today. Just curious if anyone agrees with me here (probably not
40.gif
) or what your thoughts on this are. I guess I should have started a new thread for this.
20.gif

Hadn''t thought of it like that. I just saw this thread as a cross between friendly, idle gossip and casual complaining about the housing market. I like hearing about what the market is like in other areas. It''s so horribly over-priced here, but it''s nice to see that pretty much everyone thinks their local market is over-priced. It''s a bit like that show on HGTV about what $XXX will get you across the country. Except none of the houses I look at are ever that spiffy.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well since you brought it up, it's an upgrade a YEAR...not every 6 months. i mean what do you think i am, spoiled?
9.gif

in general i don't feel like anyone is bragging, people are answering the question! who cares if someone has a bigger house or smaller house or whatever. DF starts all types of these threads, sometimes it's fun to answer, sometimes it isn't...big deal.

i don't think anyone on here is saying that their houses or diamonds or anything is more important than the people in their lives that they love and i would not hesitate to say that i think 99% of the people here would immediately give all of the material goods up if it would save someone they loved or if they could guarantee health or similar for loved ones.

your question about material stuff was kind of ironic because this IS a diamond forum...where people buy and look at diamonds and jewelry, baubles that are superfluous and unnecessary to life. there are tons of gals here with serious jewelry collections and when they post a new bauble, do they seem like they are bragging? i personally don't think anyone should be ashamed of what they have or not talk about it. within my friends and circle we all know what each other makes, we know what the houses look like, can they afford that car etc. big deal.

i tend to think that when you have alot of material items, in general they seem unimportant to you and it's not a big deal to talk about it. greg and i talk often about how we live a fairly charmed life, but it doesn't mean a thing other than we can do much of what we want.

oh and for the record, not like i have to justify it but on the 'we could pay cash' comment, it's not like we have 350k laying around, we'd have to sell our house FIRST to pay cash for anything. it was more a comment meant to convey how ridiculously expensive it is to live here where we are, where our house has appreciated basically that much in 2 years.
20.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2006 1:55:17 AM
Author: Mara
well since you brought it up, it''s an upgrade a YEAR...not every 6 months. i mean what do you think i am, spoiled?
9.gif

YES,and so is your dog.
31.gif

in general i don''t feel like anyone is bragging, people are answering the question! who cares if someone has a bigger house or smaller house or whatever. DF starts all types of these threads, sometimes it''s fun to answer, sometimes it isn''t...big deal.

wish i didn''t start this thread,now i feel so poor.
39.gif
39.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not directed to anyone in particular, but does anyone here feel like we are focusing our energy on all the wrong things? I mean, what is life really all about? How big our diamond is (or will be in the future)? How much our homes are worth? How BIG our homes are? How many fireplaces we have (which most people probably don''t even use)? How much we make a year?

Yes, I frequently feel this way. I love the threads in which people share recipes for their crockpots (or for a holiday or any other occasion). I love the way people rally to try to support someone dealing with a serious illness. I really enjoy going off-topic with people in this community. Sometimes I feel that I am discussing too many non-jewelry matters that focus solely on the material, however. :)

Deb
34.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I like DF's random threads
1.gif
I figure we're among friends here. I like hearing about people's homes etc., I think many of us get excited over any members new home purchase BIG or SMALL, because I got a lot of great advice when we finally decided to buy, for s first time home owner, it was scary, trying to figure out the process, etc., what to buy, what we can afford. Some of the members of PS convinced me that I could afford much more then I "thought" I could afford, and they helped me make the best decision ever.

I think the people on PS are (on average) more wealthy. We like big, beautiful homes, a beautiful diamonds, but I don't necessary think it means that because you like nice things, you don't know what matters in life.

In any case, that's one of my pet peeves, the assumption that if you like beautiful thing, it automatically catagorizes you as materialistic or shallow. I mean seriously, if I have a fancy ring, does that mean I'm less likely sacrifice my home, my car, my belongings to save my family? Is there a monoply on caring, compassion and love reserved only for people that can't afford a fancy ring, or fancy car?

We're just tossing things around, and having a good time. Idle fun, conversation.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2006 8:23:16 AM
Author: allycat0303
I think the people on PS are (on average) more wealthy. We like big, beautiful homes, a beautiful diamonds, but I don''t necessary think it means that because you like nice things, you don''t know what matters in life.

We''re just tossing things around, and having a good time. Idle fun, conversation.
I certainly agree on the second count.
As for being more wealthy on average... Just from reading the posts devoted to e-rings and such, it seems that PSers clump on both ends of the spectrum with a sizable minority in the middle. We have the more mature and wealthier upgraders (and some second marriages) on one end, the very young and financially challenged college/grad school graduates (or soon to be) buying their first engagement ring on the other end. With a good smattering of moderate means and 30''s-? people in a variety of situations smack the middle. Not to mention us ringers who defy categorization
9.gif

Given that this thread was inspired by a thread on people with 1+ carat diamonds and is aimed at home owners, it''s bound to get more people on wealthier end.
2.gif

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
not offended at all by DF'' post. I think its really interesting to find out all the different housing prices from around the U.S. I didnt feel that anyone was bragging, just answering the questions.

if a person was offended by it, perhaps they could choose not to read the thread, or not to answer it, right?

I agree with Allycat, we all love pretty things.....I dont think that means we are shallow, or that we dont think our loved ones are more important.

we are just enjoying some conversation.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
On the one hand, this thread makes me feel blessed. On the other hand, I feel really bad that we live in areas with such relatively affordable housing. Sure, some brag - but for the most part it''s rather enlightening. It''s interesting what Pearcrazy has to say about the Wake County market as that is what I have been really noticing whenever I visited my parents or sister. Just solidifies my need to NOT move back to my hometown. And, CA real estate is just plain nutso. Is the growth so controled - I mean you have GInormous land reserve.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think this thread is so interesting!!!

I''ve lived in the wine country north of San Francisco for the last thirty years... RE prices here are truly truly INSANE!!!

widget

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think anyone is bragging - just sharing stories. I think what has come across to me is that PS'ers are very tuned in to "value", life quality and money balance issues - not just bigger or more expensive.

I know for me and my new wife, we have been discussing getting a larger home. My 1400 SF home was nice when I was single with no kids, but it is a little cramped now. It is funny, but if we were to move just 10 miles outside or our location (we live the North Shore of Chicago area) we could get around twice the size home AND newer construction. But we love the location, near Lake Michigan, the schools, and I can walk to the train station to get to work downtown. My family, in Michigan, has no clue how much my little ranch actually is worth in my area, they would be shocked. We have looked at additions too - but the contractors in our area charge an arm and a leg for remodeling - if you can get them to talk to you. No slowdown in this area.

What might be interesting to ask, without getting into how much you make, or what your home is worth - is what % do you spend on housing and or other payments. The guideline used to be something like 28% for mortgage/insurance/taxes and 36% over all for all fixed obligations based on Gross (not net) monthly income. Here is a link to this point

someday

Rough_Rock
I think with this post, it goes back to your age and were you are in life. Because as some have pointed out they are alot older and have had time to invest in real esate, thus more expensive houses. I am just starting out I am only 23 and I just recently bought my condo here in no. VA, for a little more than 300,000. I decided to stay in the beltway and get a smaller house to be closer into work. So my place is only 950 aq. feet., but if I went out 30 miles or 30 mins. I could have gotten something around 1,500-2,000. sq. feet. But i didn''t want to sit in my car for hours.
Also it depends on the type of loan you get and if you do interest only. I think a better question is how many are in debt. Because i don''t care if you are living in a 50,000 sq. foot place home with 1,000 workers but you are bankrupt. That doesn''t mean you are rich rather really poor. To me I would rather own a 1,000 and not own anybody...that is somebody wealthy. I hope this makes sensse and the thread is a good one because it is interesting to seem what you can buy in another state. But remember everything is relative and people buy things that are a waste to other people but not to yourself. Like my husband and i are going on a 14 day hawaii cruise and his family thinks that is a waste of money and we think it is a waste of money for them to buy a boat and going boating every weekend. Some pepole want to spend a lot on there ring and others don''t

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2006 4:52:37 AM
Author: AGBF

This is not directed to anyone in particular, but does anyone here feel like we are focusing our energy on all the wrong things? I mean, what is life really all about? How big our diamond is (or will be in the future)? How much our homes are worth? How BIG our homes are? How many fireplaces we have (which most people probably don''t even use)? How much we make a year?

Yes, I frequently feel this way. I love the threads in which people share recipes for their crockpots (or for a holiday or any other occasion). I love the way people rally to try to support someone dealing with a serious illness. I really enjoy going off-topic with people in this community. Sometimes I feel that I am discussing too many non-jewelry matters that focus solely on the material, however. :)

Deb
34.gif
Deb
then they should closed the SMTR forum.

like your politic threads?

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a house or an apartment, just a upstaris bedroom at my mom''s.
20.gif

My FI on the other hand owns a 1400+ sqft home, he paid probably $150k for it brand new. We live in MI, suburb outside of Detroit.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Here in Northern NJ the prices are insane- we are about 40 mins west of Manhattan- 950 sq ft condo- 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, fp, deck- its cute, but I still cant believe something so small was so expensive! We paid mid $300''s for it....CRAZY!!!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
This is not directed to anyone in particular, but does anyone here feel like we are focusing our energy on all the wrong things? I mean, what is life really all about? How big our diamond is (or will be in the future)? How much our homes are worth? How BIG our homes are? How many fireplaces we have (which most people probably don''t even use)? How much we make a year? If only we spent as much time with our spouses, kids, and other loved ones as we do worrying about these things, maybe we would begin to undertand what is REALLY important in life. I am surprised how much time I have been spending on this site, just chatting about jewelry, but this thread tops them all (I mean, it does seem like some people are just bragging about their income and huge, expensive homes). I am not saying that I don''t think about these things from time to time. This is something I need to work on (within myself)but I think, in time, I will find that none of these things really matter. However, it is difficult to adopt this mindset in a materialistic world such as the one we all live in today. Just curious if anyone agrees with me here (probably not
40.gif
20.gif
. Just because we are on here chatting about jewelry, it doesn''t mean that we are not spending as much time with or that we care more about "materialistic" things than our families and loved ones. These are two different things. In everyday life, I think about our future and our families more than I think about jewelry and other "material" things. But on this website (afterall it''s a diamond forum), I can talk about jewelry and other things freely because that''s what it is intended for. I am not wealthy in any means, but I don''t feel like anyone else is bragging about their income or homes; they are just answering a question that is posted in a thread. I don''t really think we need to choose between "what''s really important" (i.e. families and loved ones) and "material" things (adopt to one mindset or the other). There just needs to be a balance, and from reading a lot of other threads on here, PSer do have a really good balance of the two things.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2006 4:52:37 AM
Author: AGBF

Deb
34.gif

And yet you participated in this thread.....more than once.
2.gif
It''s like tsk-tsking people for watching a train wreck, all the while angling for the best vantage point yourself.
2.gif

If threads like this are disturbing to you, why do it?

Singer: I really don''t think the purpose of this thread (or many others) is about celebrating materialism. I rather think the topic generates interest because there are so many variances, depending on where folks live, in what the dollar gets.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
We are renting a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment that has 800 sq ft and are hoping to buy a home in the next six months and get 3 bedrooms/3 bathroom home with 1600-2400 sq ft. Wish us luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results