shape
carat
color
clarity

Pros/Cons to LM PINK Halo Engagement Ring

bearrific

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

This question stems from an earlier thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-choosing-halo-engagement-ring.162914/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-choosing-halo-engagement-ring.162914/[/URL]

I've 99% made up my mind on the LM Pink Halo (http://artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1153&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1 ;
I have a 1.5ct diamond already), but I want to have other peoples input. I've never seen a ring like this which is why I am so intrigued. I've been looking for Halo's for a while that are distinct and unique, and the pink is just outstanding.

However, I am afraid it will affect performance (although some say it won't), and I'm also afraid it will look more like a decorative ring than an engagement ring. Any input, whether good or bad is greatly appreciated. I would love y'alls opinion!

Cliff notes: If your Significant Other surprised you (you had no clue) with the LM Pink Halo E-ring, how would you feel?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you contacted LM? He could most likely answer man of your conerns.

Would I love it??. Absolutely!!!!! But I have been hanging out here since February drooling over the rings. I have a halo (see avatar) so I am biased!

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
I would absolutely love love love it! Did I mention I would love it?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One con is supporting someone who treats some of his customers like crap.
I cannot believe some of the things he's said to customers over the years.

GIving him business is like saying what he has done is acceptable.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i wouldn't be happy... because i dont like pink halos! (this is a personal preference tho.. they look like Saturn to me)

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally, I probably would prefer a white diamond halo, but if I was surprised with a pink one, I'd still find it special and different. I would not go looking to change it.

Good questions will be does your GF link pink generally? Does she like to be a little different? Or is she more into classic and traditional?

I also note that IMO, colored halos don't give the same 'enlargening' effect to the center stone that white diamond halos do (to my eyes).

I also understand why Kenny said what he did. I am going custom for my e-ring upgrade. I love LM's work, but some of what I've heard about his attitude completely put me off. So instead I chose Victor Canera, he's been stellar so far. No attitude, great craftsmanship, great response and turnaround times. Although I notice these days LM's website seems to be more consumer-friendly. Maybe times are changing.

But I understand the pull of LM. There is something special.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Anne

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
ForteKitty|1310054381|2963805 said:
i wouldn't be happy... because i dont like pink halos! (this is a personal preference tho.. they look like Saturn to me)

I feel the same way as ForteKitty.. I am not able to appreciate colored halo's.. (run and hide)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love a good halo, but I personally wouldn't like a pink halo as an engagement ring. As a right hand ring, I'd be ALL for it!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I've read that your g/f likes pink, and you and I posted a bit last night, so I think that she would appreciate the fact that you incorporated something about her personality into the ring. I also understand what some of the other posters are saying about the halo not having the enlarging effect that it would if it was done in white diamonds, but you have a 1.5 ct now which is a very nice size stone so I don't think you need to be concerned about enlarging it's appearance.

I also don't think that this ring will look like a RHR, I think that there would be no doubt that this was her engagement ring.

You seen to have a very strong pull toward this setting, so obviously in your heart you feel that this is the ring for her, I think that perhaps you are second guessing yourself because it is just outside of traditional. Just ask yourself, is your g/f a bit on the outside of traditional? Does she want a ring that is a little different than the ones that all her friends and family have? If so then this could be the ring for her!

As to Leons ettiquete....I do hear that he is hard to work with, others haven't had a problem with him at all. I'd be sure to read his 'rules of engagement' and follow them. I've also heard that he does better over the phone than he does via email, so you may want to reach out that way after the inital contact. Do you live in the NYC area?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not put a pink diamond halo on an engagement ring. Just because someone has a favorite color does not mean they would want the color incorporated in their engagement ring. I love colored stones for right hand rings, however.

Unless the girl has specifically requested a pink diamond halo, then I wouldn't even consider it. I would either have it set in a white diamond halo or present her the diamond in a solitaire setting and allow her the fun of picking out her permanent setting design.

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1310057299|2963855 said:
I would not put a pink diamond halo on an engagement ring. Just because someone has a favorite color does not mean they would want the color incorporated in their engagement ring. I love colored stones for right hand rings, however.

Unless the girl has specifically requested a pink diamond halo, then I wouldn't even consider it. I would either have it set in a white diamond halo or present her the diamond in a solitaire setting and allow her the fun of picking out her permanent setting design.
+1.

bearrific

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1310056495|2963838 said:
I've read that your g/f likes pink, and you and I posted a bit last night, so I think that she would appreciate the fact that you incorporated something about her personality into the ring. I also understand what some of the other posters are saying about the halo not having the enlarging effect that it would if it was done in white diamonds, but you have a 1.5 ct now which is a very nice size stone so I don't think you need to be concerned about enlarging it's appearance.

I also don't think that this ring will look like a RHR, I think that there would be no doubt that this was her engagement ring.

You seen to have a very strong pull toward this setting, so obviously in your heart you feel that this is the ring for her, I think that perhaps you are second guessing yourself because it is just outside of traditional. Just ask yourself, is your g/f a bit on the outside of traditional? Does she want a ring that is a little different than the ones that all her friends and family have? If so then this could be the ring for her!

As to Leons ettiquete....I do hear that he is hard to work with, others haven't had a problem with him at all. I'd be sure to read his 'rules of engagement' and follow them. I've also heard that he does better over the phone than he does via email, so you may want to reach out that way after the inital contact. Do you live in the NYC area?

Thanks for the input! I'm not worried about enlargening the diamond, more affecting the sparkle and brilliance.

Yes, I do have a strong pull towards it. I definitely want to get something for her in a traditional sense (halo setting) but with a twist (make it pink!). She is in the fashion industry and dresses very colorful, so I think she would like the fact that it is unique but nothing too gaudy.

I do not live in the NYC area -- I live in Houston but I read his website and I have dealt with Vatche and a different ring who is also in NYC.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
rubyprincess|1310057924|2963865 said:
diamondseeker2006|1310057299|2963855 said:

+1.

I agree. You don't want her to not like it, especially if you are getting a LM custom ring done. I would give her the ring on an inexpensive temporary solitaire, and tell her to pick a LM ring she likes- show her the pink halo and say that is what you had in mind but you want to be sure she loves it before taking the plunge. It's pretty, but I love pink and I wouldn't choose a pink halo for my e-ring personally.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I think she will love it.

As you can see in my avatar my ring is pink and white (though not a halo) my center stone is a 2 carat G and the pinks don't affect the color or performance at all. I LOVE the uniqueness of my ring and the two tones. If she is a fashion girl I think she will be happy to have something classic with a twist. While I love a halo i think right now there are alot of them out there and i would want something a little more unique.

good luck
:bigsmile:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Acebruin's wife's pink halo LM asscher is just about the prettiest thing I've ever seen. I would be bowled over to get such a ring. However rounds in halos are not my favorite but pink diamonds are. Simon G also has some styles with pink diamonds you might explore. Kenny is right, LM seems to have terrible customer service. I wanted to work with him but he dropped me like I was hot. He is definitely taking his business for granted and I've been really happy to see customers branch out to get handmade settings of equal (better?) quality elsewhere. He simply is not the only game in town for pave and refined prongs.

bearrific

Rough_Rock
kelpie said:
Acebruin's wife's pink halo LM asscher is just about the prettiest thing I've ever seen. I would be bowled over to get such a ring. However rounds in halos are not my favorite but pink diamonds are. Simon G also has some styles with pink diamonds you might explore. Kenny is right, LM seems to have terrible customer service. I wanted to work with him but he dropped me like I was hot. He is definitely taking his business for granted and I've been really happy to see customers branch out to get handmade settings of equal (better?) quality elsewhere. He simply is not the only game in town for pave and refined prongs.
lovemybling|1310059723|2963895 said:
I think she will love it.

As you can see in my avatar my ring is pink and white (though not a halo) my center stone is a 2 carat G and the pinks don't affect the color or performance at all. I LOVE the uniqueness of my ring and the two tones. If she is a fashion girl I think she will be happy to have something classic with a twist. While I love a halo i think right now there are alot of them out there and i would want something a little more unique.

good luck
:bigsmile:

Thanks for the input!!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
bearrific|1310058317|2963871 said:
Christina...|1310056495|2963838 said:

Thanks for the input! I'm not worried about enlargening the diamond, more affecting the sparkle and brilliance.

Yes, I do have a strong pull towards it. I definitely want to get something for her in a traditional sense (halo setting) but with a twist (make it pink!). She is in the fashion industry and dresses very colorful, so I think she would like the fact that it is unique but nothing too gaudy.

I do not live in the NYC area -- I live in Houston but I read his website and I have dealt with Vatche and a different ring who is also in NYC.

I really think that the pink diamonds will compliment the center stone. I know that you are concerned about the pink halo affecting the performance of the center stone, but I just don't see this as a concern. You should keep in mind that by going custom, the ring will be yours, whether you love it or hate it when its finished. There is a lot of stress involved when working on a custom piece. Leon (or whomever you choose) will have many questions and options for you and expect you to be able to make an informed decision of your own. I suspect that he will NOT be patient if you have specific questions that he feels aren't worthy of discussion. He's a masochist, but he's amazing at what he does. However as others have said he isn't the only amazing designer out there. I think that we talked about Steven Kirsch last night? Anyway, I'm rambling, if you are really leaning toward the pink halo have you considered going with one that doesn't have to be custom made for you? In the event that you are disappointed you will have the option of returning or exchanging the ring, this may be a better option for you if you are feeling unsure about your choice. Custom jobs are not for the faint hearted, they can be extremely stressful and many experienced PSers loose plenty of sleep waiting. Just an idea....

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered going with pink surprise diamonds? or going with a white diamond halo and a pink diamond wedder? You could also chose pink gold for the halo with white diamonds...so many choices! :naughty:

These are just some examples of what I mean, they probably aren't exactly what your looking for, but it gives you an idea of what is available to you....
http://simongjewelry.com/details.php?products_id=1407&categories_id=108&

it has a touch of the pink that you like and is a bit more versatyle because you can change the center band. You mentioned that she likes color so she appreciate something that she can change up a bit...

I.m not crazy about the split shank, but I like how the ring looks without it...
http://simongjewelry.com/details.php?products_id=2016&categories_id=108&

this one adds a touch of pink and gives the ring personality.....
http://simongjewelry.com/details.php?products_id=2170&categories_id=108&

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love it because I like pink and what could be better than pink diamonds? But...that is me. You could go with
all white and then do a pink diamond eternity wedding band if you're just not sure.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1310065152|2963994 said:
Have you considered going with pink surprise diamonds? or going with a white diamond halo and a pink diamond wedder?

I agree with this part. I love pink, but not in my ER face-up. If I really wanted pink, I'd go for a pink surprise stone, or a pink donut stone (I just made that word up, but it's the small accent diamond that goes on the side of the base of the head).

But if she's into fashion, and you have the money for a LM setting period, why not let her design the setting with him? It would be an extra meaningful gift that way -- you're enabling her artistic dreams!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very specific look and I'm not sure that having a pink halo is to everybody's taste. Bear in mind that this ring is one to be worn for a lifetime I wonder if it would date?

Please don't get me wrong because I love halos. I even have one with a pink diamond halo! However, as a right hand ring I would like it but not for an e-ring.

If you've got a strong pull towards it then maybe you need to go for it.

I like the ring. I like a lot of colors too, but would I want it as a forever engagement ring? prob not.
:|

hatsumomo

Rough_Rock
I have a white diamond halo and love it but I think that pink diamond halo is beautiful!!!! let us know what you decide!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I happen to love LM's work and found him pleasant and accommodating to work with. I think the pink halo would be lovely. In white diamond halos I feel the stone gets lost in too much sparkle but when the halo is set off by color it enhances the center stone. Just my opinion. Leon has also done some pink halos using ping gold which looked very nice.

thebunnybears

Rough_Rock
I think if you are already 99% sure about the fact that she'll love it, I say go for it! You say she likes pink and she's a colorful, fashionable person. I do not believe the pink halos would take away from the center stone, I personally think it would accentuate the the white center.

I personally* like pink. I was looking at that exact same setting for my diamond, but I also am not personally a fan of halos. So for my setting, we are incorporating pink diamonds into the prongs and/or parts of the band. But that is me.

Decide what's best for Her taste and preferences. Everyone has an opinion, but ultimately it's what she and you will be happy with. :D

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
bearrific|1310058317|2963871 said:

I just wanted to comment on this--I don't think of modern halos like this one as being traditional. I actually think they are very trendy. The ring could look quite dated just a few years from now, and if she's in the fashion industry this could bother her.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I've been seeing gorgeous halos on PS since 2006 and they are still looking good. I don't think they are going to look dated in a few years but every era has a style.

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I don't know why a pink halo ring couldn't be an engagement ring if your gf is into pink. I absolutely ADORE the cushion pink halo but that's just preference, i prefer the look of the cushion to the round. I agree it won't really make your diamond look bigger but if you're sure she'd like it then go for it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results