shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposing next month. Please help a newbie with purchase!

rashie81

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am totally new to this whole diamond fiasco, and planning to propose to my long time girlfriend. I've been lurking around on this forum and learnt that the cut is the most important, following carat, color and clarity. Originally I was looking at E-F stones and within the VS1 - VS2 range in clarity, but most users have since convinced me that there is little to no difference between an E to a G, and a VS1 to an SI1 to the naked eye. So I decided to look around a bit more on a local wholesaler's site. Here are the 2 I narrowed down to. What I don't understand is why the one with more fluorescence costs a bit more. Shouldn't the less there is, the better the diamond? Maybe there are other factors I'm unaware of. Also, do you guys think they are priced reasonably? Please shine some light onto this rookie here. No PUN intended! =)

Specs of the 2 diamonds.

Item number: #1000257
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.06ct.
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Reports: GIA
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 56.0%
Girdle: Medium
Culet: N
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Medium
1.06 ct. Round Diamond G-SI1 GIA
Price: $5563.08

Item number: #1000256
Carat weight: 1.06ct.
Depth: 60.9%
Table: 60.0%
Fluorescence: None
1.06 ct. Round Diamond G-SI1 GIA
Price: $5557.33

I also forgot to mention. I went to this wholesaler today, and the owner told me that they also sold diamonds certified by EGL. I asked him if it was EGL USA, and he said that it was EGL UK. He also said that both were on the same level of grading, but I'm not too convinced. Should I be trusting him?

rashie81

Rough_Rock
Re: Proposing next month. Please help a newbie with purchase

I also found this one as well. Do you guys think it is worth the extra $500 or so for the slightly bigger size? Would you even be able to tell the difference in person?

Item number: #1000337
Carat weight: 1.09ct.
Depth: 62.1%
Table: 56.0%
Fluorescence: None
1.09 ct. Round Diamond G-SI1 GIA
Price: $6040.61

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Post the GIA report number.

Gibson486

Rough_Rock

well....SI1 can be comparable to VS1 if it is really eye clean....and you have to look at it to find out. That $5500 SI1...with that price, I doubt it's eye clean.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You havent given enough information. Post the cert numbers so we can have a look.

rashie81

Rough_Rock

You guys are right. I called back the diamond wholesaler today and he said to not even bother with the GIA diamonds I listed. He said that they were not eye clean. So can anyone tell me how reputable EGL UK is?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

rashie81|1304809516|2915104 said:
You guys are right. I called back the diamond wholesaler today and he said to not even bother with the GIA diamonds I listed. He said that they were not eye clean. So can anyone tell me how reputable EGL UK is?

I would stick to GIA or AGS graded stones.

How does he know they are not eye clean? Are these in house diamonds?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

3 GIA SI1s of that size aren't eyeclean?

Either his specifications for the term eyeclean are stricter than most vendors', he has eagle eyes, or he stocks the crap of the crop. Without a lot more info we have no idea which of those is true.

1. Decide what "eyeclean" means to YOU. Clean from 6" face-up in most lighting w/ 20/20 vision? From 12" face-up? From the sides as well? Then ask vendors to vet stones by your requirements, as they may not match that vendor's standard in-house definition.

2. Plan to have the stone shipped out to you to inspect in-person before having it set. It'll cost you a couple hundred - well worth it to ensure you like what you see, esp. if the vendor can't provide any photos/images of the stone.

3. EGL-International (they have a UK lab) is considered less reliable than EGL USA - which is again not considered up to par with AGS/GIA. Ditto Dreamer - are they in-house stones?

rashie81

Rough_Rock

Ok, here's an update guys. I've decided to not go with the original dimaond broker and go with bluenile. Can you guys give me an opinion on the following 3 diamonds? My budget is around $7500 for the diamond alone. I can stretch the budget a little more, but would like to stay as close as possible. Which one of the 3 would be the best bang for the buck?

GIA report # 2135277186
Stock number: LD02057624
Price: C$7,551
Bank wire price:
C$7,438
Price per carat:
C$6,624
Carat weight:
Colour: G
Depth %:
61.7%
Table %:
57%
Polish:
Excellent
Symmetry:
Excellent
Girdle:
Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet:
None
Fluorescence:
None
Measurements: 6.68 x 6.74 x 4.14 mm

GIA report # 1112157859
Stock number: LD01762636
Price: C$6,913
Bank wire price:
C$6,810
Price per carat:
C$6,064
Carat weight:
Colour: G
Depth %:
61.7%
Table %:
56%
Polish:
Excellent
Symmetry:
Excellent
Girdle:
Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet:
None
Fluorescence:
Faint
Measurements: 6.67 x 6.75 x 4.14 mm

Don't know why, but no grading report included on BLUENILE for this diamond.

Stock number: LD02097764
Price: C$7,672
Bank wire price:
C$7,557
Price per carat:
C$6,912
Carat weight:
Colour: E
Depth %:
62.5%
Table %:
57%
Polish:
Excellent
Symmetry:
Very Good
Girdle:
Medium
Culet:
None
Fluorescence:
Medium Blue
Measurements: 6.61 x 6.64 x 4.14 mm

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

The problem with BN is that they don't offer images, and the ones that you picked are somewhat on the edge of being well cut.

Here are some from JA to consider and ask for IS images:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1355062.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1338416.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1377345.asp

If you don't mind blue fluorescence: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050213001

rashie81

Rough_Rock

Thanks thbmok! The first diamond seems to be a good deal. Can you give me a second opinion on it judging from the Virtual loupe picture? I am completely new to this, and not too sure if it's considered eye clean. Anyone else also want to give me an opinion as well? If it's good, I will pull the trigger. Also, the prices on James Allen are in US funds, correct?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1355062.asp

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks like a nice one :))

have your JA rep check that it's eyeclean to your specifications, whatever they are (clean in most lights? from 6" face-up, 12? from the sides?).

rashie81

Rough_Rock

That's good news to me! I have already emailed them inquiring about the diamond being eye clean or not. If it turns out positive, I can finally be able to sleep good again. =) Also, can anyone confirm with me that the site is in US funds? If so, I'm saving myself an extra few hundred dollars since I'm from Canada.

rashie81

Rough_Rock

Also, are the measurements alright for a 1.12c?

6.66x6.67x4.11

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rashie81|1305109619|2918323 said:
Also, are the measurements alright for a 1.12c?

6.66x6.67x4.11

is fine.

measurements that you've listed are the natural result of proportions - certain proportion combinations (thick or thin girdle, high or low crown, high or low pavilion depth, etc.) will result in a stone of certain dimensions. Since the proportions on your stone are fine, dimensions are also fine for the ct weight.

rashie81

Rough_Rock

Thanks a bunch Yssie!

rashie81

Rough_Rock

Here's an update! Just got off the phone with a JA rep. Eye clean from face up. I'm so happy! Anything else I should be aware of? I'm a step away from checking out on the site. =)

minmin001

Ideal_Rock

rashie81|1305127508|2918519 said:
Here's an update! Just got off the phone with a JA rep. Eye clean from face up. I'm so happy! Anything else I should be aware of? I'm a step away from checking out on the site. =)
you should probably put the diamond on hold so others can't buy it. it looks good. yes it is US fund and be sure to ask for pricescope discount

rashie81

Rough_Rock

I just finished placing my order. Got the pricescope discount and an additional discount for bank wire. I also picked the 18k White Gold Thin French-Cut Pave Set Diamond Engagement Ring to go with the diamond. I'm so excited! It's been a long stressful month of diamond shopping. Thank-you all for the help!! :D

One more thing, do you think the setting is too thin?? My gf told me she liked the Tiffany Novo design, and that was the closest setting in my price range, but now I found out that the Novo ring is 2 - 2.5 mm, while the one I picked is 1.6-1.7mm. Big difference?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results