shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal in SanFran ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tcc23

Rough_Rock
I know there have been several postings for proposing in San Francisco, but I thought I would start another posting and get some feedback on 2 potential ideas I have.

1. Proposing on the mountain overlooking the GGB around late afternoon, then taking her to a romantic dinner with a great view (still deciding on dinner, but maybe somewhere over in Tiburon)

2. Taking her out to a winery or even Korbel and packing a picnic and proposing on the grounds.

SO ...which would you prefer? If there are any other ideas you have please let me know as well. Many thanks in advance!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, TCC: I've made these recommendations before, but I'll happily share them again.

1) If you're going to propose before the end of October, I would emphatically suggest a sunset cruise on the Hawaiian Chieftain, a tall ship docked in Sausalito. From April through October, they have public sails that are unbeatable. They dock on Marinship Way in Sausalito and cruise on SF Bay on Wed, Thurs & Fri nights. (I think the cruise at this time of year runs 5-8 p.m.). It's a 103-ft Tall Ship, extremely romantic and fairly intimate as it only holds about 45 passengers at full capacity--the several times I've gone it was more like 30 people. They serve complimentary beer, wine, mimosas, coffee, soda, & tea, and they also put out a snack spread (salsa/chips, salami & cheese, fresh fruit, crackers, etc.) All of this for just $35 per person....you positively cannot go wrong. When they sail, they sail around the outcropping of Sausalito and go under the GG Bridge; then turn around and sail back under the bridge into SF Bay. You'll watch the sunset over the GG Bridge and watch the lights of the city come up and reflect in the water. They even provide blankets/jackets ....snag one at the onset of the trip when they are first offered! Finally, about 1/2 hour before they dock, they serve hot-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies! They have a website at www.hawaiianchieftain.com.

(If you do this, you may want to plan on a late lunch before the sail....the snack food is good, but it's not dinner.)

This is my number one pick by leaps and bounds.....I positively cannot think of a more romantic place to propose.....while sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge, and then enjoy your first breathtaking sunset as an engaged couple! In case you're concerned, this is a very easy ride.....if you can handle the motion of the ferry to Alcatraz, you can more than handle this ride.

2) For the non-water folks, I've highly recommended proposing on the grounds of Korbel Champagne Cellars winery in Guerneville. Their property is breathtakingly beautiful with a gorgeous onsite garden, and they have an extensive deli/snack shop on site. They have in their wine shop chilled bottles of champagne just large enough for 2, and you could suggest to your girl getting one of these bottles and having a small picnic at the tables on the grounds. Surprise her with a proposal during your picnic, and you'll have the bottle of champagne ready to celebrate on hand!

The top of the Marin Headlands overlooking the GG Bridge could be nice, but one drawback is a lack of privacy. With so many people milling around, it tends to lack intimacy.

If you don't do the cruise and you want a dinner recommendation in Tiburon, I'd suggest the Caprice. VERY intimate, windows on three sides so nearly every table has a view of the GG Bridge! Link here so you can check out the menu: http://www.thecaprice.com/. (NOTE: click on the menu link....the picture is that of the view you'll have!)

Good luck, and do let us know what you decide on. (I hate not hearing what people picked and why! LOL)

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The problem with #1 is that you can easily have a cold, foggy, blustery day, and no matter how lovely the Marin Headlands is (are?) you're not going to enjoy it as much with your teeth chattering and, as ALJDewey said, tourists and photographers milling about. With the winery idea you increase the odds of having a nice day, and, even if you don't, you'll still have a relaxing and romantic environment.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely do the winery...I don't like SF though.
1.gif
It's always too cold there...about 30 degree difference from where we are..ridiculous! You have to bring pants to be in the city when its 90 down in Santa Clara area. Anyhow I digress..Napa is really cute, downtown Napa..and they have the wine train or tons of wineries and lots to do. We just visited about 2 months ago and I really loved it. Definite suggestion.

Or what about Calistoga for their hot springs and spas/hotels? That seems like so much fun, it's definitely on our list to do. Or if you are looking for something kind of off the beaten path, try staying in Mendocino for a weekend. It's quiet and small and they have some beautiful inns and hotels around there, old style. There is one that I found that is on the bluffs over the ocean and just looks amazing, something like 20 acres of gardens, my type of thing.

Anyhow..my two cents. Lots of ideas!!
1.gif
What do you think you both would like best?

(wow this new forum format is so cool and easy to use!!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results