shape
carat
color
clarity

Proof that reality is setting into LGD prices

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I knew this was coming- as did many of us.
There's interesting logic behind natural diamond prices.
It's always struck me that a D/IF, and an eye clean F/SI1 are indistinguishable when viewed naked eye. Arguably they could have the same value. Yet the D/IF costs exponentially more.
It's not a question of rarity. That's how it is, and we all agree that's how it "should" be. And it has been that way forever.
But LGD's are presenting new economic realities.
As growing techniques improve, there are fewer and fewer "off color" stones.
So now, shoppers of 1ct J color LGD's are having to pay, on average, more than D color stones.
In this case, rarity does play a part. There are so many fewer J color stones being "born" that the ones that exist go for a premium.
Now, once we get above about 3cts or so.....well, the reality is taking longer to set in.

But it will

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing! I'm actually always on the lookout for well-cut, warm, lab stones and they're few and far between! Now that you explain that it makes sense why

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that makes me super thrilled with my 3ct J from you @Rockdiamond ! I just don’t see color, I guess, I love it so much!

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I truly thought D/F or IF stones were much more rare than F/SI1 and that would be the rationale so why they cost more. That’s really not the case?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
With mmd crystal quality makes more sense as a pricing factor than traditional clarity grading.

ratchetmomclub

Rough_Rock
With mmd crystal quality makes more sense as a pricing factor than traditional clarity grading.

Would you mind expanding on how one can determine crystal quality? Im new to all of this and am totally on board with MMD. But I would love to educate myself more … for example
I read that the amount of boron present in the growth process and actually cause a MMD to read as a moissanite on some tests.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results