shape
carat
color
clarity

Prongs on setting.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

My ER setting was an exact remake of setting that held a cushion. The prongs of the setting accentuated the cushion quite a bit now that I look back at it, and I never realized that when recreating it, it would make my round look a little square too.

Now that I've had my ER for almost 2 weeks, I'm feeling I'd like to change the prongs to a little more softer look to allow the roundness of the stone to show through more. I'm thinking when I have my eternity band made, I'll send in my ER, but I wonder how easy/complicated it would be to change?

The setting is in platinum, do you think they need to redo the whole setting? If not, would it be compromised in structure at all? Or do you think this style can even have smaller prongs? When looking at it, the prongs come up quite thick right from the bottom of the setting, I don't know how they'd adjust them smaller. ::) I'll attach the photos in the post below.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Prongs

img_2945.png

img_3070.png

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
After analyzing, maybe it's the protrusion of the prong tip that's causing the square-ish look. Notice when I cover one of them with the black cloth, it shows more roundness than the others. Do you think this change is achievable? Do you think the tip should also be changed to a claw ?

img_12765.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
breanne|1474694516|4080199 said:
After analyzing, maybe it's the protrusion of the prong tip that's causing the square-ish look. Notice when I cover one of them with the black cloth, it shows more roundness than the others. Do you think this change is achievable? Do you think the tip should also be changed to a claw ?

Even if you change it to a claw, it will still protrude outside of the round, because the metal will still wrap around the stone to hold it in place and you really can't get rid of too much of that without compromising the integrity of the prongs.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if bringing it down slightly will aid in reducing the appearance of squareness. I see others with their rounds, and their prong tips aren't all quite as far out as mine. Of course the cloth is covering more than what I could realistically reduce, but I think it may be part of the solution. I just don't know how to visualize it with my actual ring. I did a quick photoshop, although i altered the diamond significantly, you can sort of get the feel of what it would look like. See what I mean?

img_3074.png

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi breanne!
I think your ring is beautiful as is and the prongs are balanced for the overall design of the ring...
I am not sure if you can shave down the prongs more, but if you can I think that could change the way the head looks and it may look wonky.
If you are not happy with the square look you could change the prongs to single claw, split claws or why not even a six prong setting? All of these changes would require a new head though.
As I said I would keep as is.... but it is your ring.
:wavey:

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree that it is balanced for the setting; but I'm just not sure if it's as complimentary to my round, the setting was a remake from a cushion. I put two comparisons, my settings prongs against what I believe I'd like, I wonder how much a head replacement would be. I'd like to keep everything much the same, just maybe a smaller prong tip... not sure how they could do that.

img_12766.jpg

img_12767.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you need to chat with the maker to find out if they can make these prongs thinner and more delicate. Being platinum makes changes no harder than in gold. But, keep in mind that you need to balance your aesthetic with function. The less metal in the prong in contact with the diamond, the less strength it has to remain intact from life and damage. With only 4-prongs, which is quite beautiful, damage to a single prong is very risky. With that said, I agree with PP to consider seeing if they can re-tip these with claw-prongs, double claw prongs, or a 6-prongs if you want them delicate---but that will have to be done carefully to keep the balance of the setting. Even if they can make the prongs more delicate, 4-prongs will always make a round look more square or cushion-ish as they provide corners. So, from arm's distance, the eye sees the 4-dots and says "corner".

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I love the setting. It looks very classy and tasteful - I must admit I prefer four claws rather than 6. I would live with it a bit longer and see how you like it when you also have a wedding band.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'm just not sure that they could even shave them down that far. You can ask. Personally it would make me paranoid about my ring because I know how often I hit it on the prongs (I've actually had my center stone pop out before when I hit it). I mean, we talk on here about claw prongs but that still affects the end of the prong covering the diamond, not the outside bit.

The example that you showed is a Leon Mege ring, so you're talking about hand-forged by a master craftsman who is leagues above the skill of most jewelers, and the hand-forging means the metal is more dense and can be more slender for the prongs without compromising structural integrity. Assuming your ring is cast by a jeweler local to you (I don't think I've seen who the jeweler is on any of your posts?) there's just no comparison. If that's what you want, you are unlikely to get it from an ordinary jeweler. You have a very standard prong; your example image prongs, though common on Pricescope, are extremely hard to find out in the wider world. I'm just worried that you'll have the jeweler work on your prongs and still be disappointed because you came into it with unrealistic expectations.

I also think the shape and size of your prongs is well-suited to the style of ring - the thickness of the band, the shape of the head, etc.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a Tiffany style setting (6 prong)? It accentuates roundness in a way that a 4 prong does not.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Breanne,

If you are unhappy with the prongs, it doesn't hurt to ask the jeweler/designer to see if it is possible to have the tips reworked more simiar to that of the image of Leon's. I would bring in an enlarged image of the ring with the prongs you prefer and see if it is possible to have them shaved down. Be sure to ask too about the stability of the prongs to hold your diamond if they are reworked. I would also check the other rings in the case at the store and see if they are capable of doing what you want. I would encourage you to do this sooner than wait too long as you have the ring 2weeks already. I think if you are questioning the prongs at this point, you are already bothered by the appearance and you should be pleased with your ER ring every time you look at it! If there is a small fee to take out the diamond and then have the prongs reworked, I personally would do it. My understanding that since your rings is platinum, the prongs should be able to be worked on, maybe not easily, but at least you should not have to have new prongs/head.

Let us know what your jeweler says! I hope this helps!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I don't assume Leon would help? I assume someone of that high reputation would only work on his own pieces?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I've never really overly loved a 6 prong, but I appreciate the suggestion!! :)

I've contacted Leon, I've explained my visual preference in having a claw tip prong. I discussed the desire to keep my setting the same, but I'd love to change the prongs to his claw prongs, and wondered if that was aesthetically or structurally possible. At least I'll get some professional advice, especially on something so important. We shall see, I'm still not sure if they'd touch something that's not theirs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results