shape
carat
color
clarity

Prongs look yellow - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Please note: I haven''t talked to the vendor about this yet, I want to make sure I''m not crazy first!

Yesterday I received my newly upgraded diamond. It is set in a simple 18kt white gold solitaire with platinum prongs. When they put in the new diamond, they had to re-do the prongs so they would fit the new diamond, but the band was the same.

The diamond itself is gorgeous, but I noticed immediately the prongs looked... yellow? Definitely not what I remember them being. They almost looked burnished. It is subtle but definitely there. I tried to capture it by film but it didn''t come out very obvious (I''m definitely not the best photographer in the world).

So my questions are:

1) Am I crazy? Does anyone else see this?

2) Are the prongs platinum, and if so, does platinum get to be this color?

In the picture, on the left is my new ring, on the right is my engagement ring from Kay, also 18kt white gold band with platinum prongs. Can anyone else see the difference?

Thanks!

someyellowprongs4.jpg

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Another pic (sorry for the quality).

someyellowprongs3.jpg

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Another...

It doesn't seem like a reflection as I can see it from all angles. Plus, it seems to only be the very ends of the prongs. I wish I could capture this better!

someyellowprongs1.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi jsm,

Can you see it in all lights? I am not great with plat facts but it is possible it is some sort of residue from the setting process and might be worth trying to clean it or get a pro clean.

The ring is lovely!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
It's ever so slight, but I can see it too. I saw the title of the thread so when I opened it I looked at the pictures before I read your post. Based on the images alone, I knew you must be speaking of the ring on the left.

Maybe we're super color sensitive? I know I am that way with diamonds, so perhaps I'd notice it more here as well. I'm not a platinum expert either, but as Lorelei said maybe it just needs a good cleaning?

Nonetheless, it's very pretty!
1.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lorelei!

Yes, I can see it in natural light, in the car, bathroom... I picked it up from FedEx yesterday and ripped it open in the car. Haha, I was so excited! The ''yellow'' immediately struck me though. I know it wasn''t a reflection from the car as the interior is black.

But I haven''t tried cleaning it yet, I will definitely do so. It just might be residue. Thanks for the advice.
1.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 12:09:59 PM
Author: girlie-girl
It''s ever so slight, but I can see it too. I saw the title of the thread so when I opened it I looked at the picture before I read your post. Based on the image alone, I knew you must be speaking of the ring on the left.

Maybe we''re super color sensitive? I know I am that way with diamonds, so perhaps I''d notice it more here as well. I''m not a platinum expert either, but as Lorelei said maybe it just needs a good cleaning?

Nonetheless, it''s very pretty!
1.gif

Thanks for the reply, girlie-girl. Good to know I''m not crazy.
37.gif

Thanks for the compliment, the diamond is just beautiful! And as soon as I get home this evening it''s going to be cleaned!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 12:10:00 PM
Author: jsm
Hi Lorelei!

Yes, I can see it in natural light, in the car, bathroom... I picked it up from FedEx yesterday and ripped it open in the car. Haha, I was so excited! The 'yellow' immediately struck me though. I know it wasn't a reflection from the car as the interior is black.

But I haven't tried cleaning it yet, I will definitely do so. It just might be residue. Thanks for the advice.
1.gif
Most welcome, you know the first thing I would do is contact the vendor on reflection.

If you want to try to clean it yourself, give it a good soak then a scrub and rinse, then you could try drying it with one of those jewellery cloths in case it is some touch of tarnish ( don't know if it is but possible I suppose). If that doesn't work then get a pro to look at it, they might be able to sort that out quickly.

Good to see you GG!
35.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 12:12:59 PM
Author: Lorelei

Most welcome, you know the first thing I would do is contact the vendor on reflection.

If you want to try to clean it yourself, give it a good soak then a scrub and rinse, then you could try drying it with one of those jewellery cloths in case it is some touch of tarnish ( don't know if it is but possible I suppose). If that doesn't work then get a pro to look at it, they might be able to sort that out quickly.

Sound advice as always, I will certainly do this. Thanks so much!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 12:15:26 PM
Author: jsm

If you want to try to clean it yourself, give it a good soak then a scrub and rinse, then you could try drying it with one of those jewellery cloths in case it is some touch of tarnish ( don''t know if it is but possible I suppose). If that doesn''t work then get a pro to look at it, they might be able to sort that out quickly.

Sound advice as always, I will certainly do this. Thanks so much!
You are most welcome - keep us posted on what happens!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock

Good to see you GG!
35.gif

35.gif
Hello Lorelei, it's good to see you as well.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
The yellow cast is definitely there - it looks like unplated white gold to me, though it could be a little bit of tarnish or residual from the torch. Is it possible that by a remote chance the jeweller has re-tipped the prongs in white gold?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 12:42:45 PM

If you want to try to clean it yourself, give it a good soak then a scrub and rinse, then you could try drying it with one of those jewellery cloths in case it is some touch of tarnish ( don''t know if it is but possible I suppose). If that doesn''t work then get a pro to look at it, they might be able to sort that out quickly.

Good to see you GG!
35.gif

35.gif
Hello Lorelei, it''s good to see you as well.
I missed you!!
35.gif

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 1:04:11 PM

I missed you!!
35.gif
biggyhug.gif

You''re such a sweetheart.
1094232nk7m1yvh5r.gif
I took a little break, but hope to be around PS more regularly again.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 12:58:06 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
The yellow cast is definitely there - it looks like unplated white gold to me, though it could be a little bit of tarnish or residual from the torch. Is it possible that by a remote chance the jeweller has re-tipped the prongs in white gold?

I hope not, though I''m sure if it did happen it was an honest mistake. I did contact the vendor and I''m sure everything will be taken care of.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 1:24:45 PM

Date: 3/26/2009 1:04:11 PM

I missed you!!
35.gif
biggyhug.gif

You''re such a sweetheart.
1094232nk7m1yvh5r.gif
I took a little break, but hope to be around PS more regularly again.
Awww....Hugs to you too!!! I really missed you and hoped you would be back!!! BOOTIFUL flowers, thank you!!!
face23.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I''ve run into a goodly number of estate platinum rings repaired/worked on with white gold before; I''m not sure if it is as common for current jewelers to do that, but it sure was over the years past. Definitely check with the bench who did the work. It isn''t as secure as using platinum solder, according to the bench guy who''s repaired some rings for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results