shape
carat
color
clarity

Prongs and Diamonds

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
I recently had a diamond set. The first setting job was great. I decided to have the diamond put in a different and more expensive setting. Being that the first setting was wonderful, I assumed I didn't have anything to worry about. When I got the ring back from the second setting I noticed a gap between the prong and the diamond. The only part of the prong touching the diamond was the tip top of the prong on the table, nothing around the girdle. I sent the ring to the vendor and the vendor fixed that. When I received my ring back a week ago, I took my loupe out and found another gap on another prong. Again, the same type of gap although this one is not quite as obvious as the first one. The first one I was actually able to take a picture of with my cell phone. This other gap I haven't been able to get a picture of. I took the ring to a couple of local jewelry stores to have them look at it. They said the diamond is tight, and to not worry about the gap. I've been reading on the internet what I can find about prongs. What I've read makes me concerned about the gaps on my ring. Basically what I've read says I should be concerned about gaps. What is the purpose of a prong if it only touches the diamond on the table? Is the prong doing anything? Or is my six prong ring more like a four prong? Does anyone know? Sometimes I wish I didn't have a loupe. I'm wondering if I should just purchase a new setting and try again. I'm upset that I decided to change settings and spent even more on the second one.

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
If this particular vendor feels the gaps are of no issue why would they agree to "fix" it the first time if there was no issue with it? Sounds like someone is complacent after getting your money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results