shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong Tip Styles

TwinkleStar

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have a question on prong tip styles, and I'm not sure if there is a previously-created helpful thread on this detail specifically - If so, please point me there, and I won't bother you with a new thread. :bigsmile:

BF asked me to put together some details on my favorite setting and has begun the process of calling various vendors to secure quotes, etc. for when the time is right. Originally, I wrote down "thin, single eagle claw prongs" because I love the way it looks on the rings you all have posted here, but BF isn't the biggest fan and likes the Tiffany-style prongs, which are totally beautiful, too. He called LM on his list, and LM also thought the Tiffany-style prongs would look better, but when the quote came back, it said single claws! BF called Rachael and asked for the Tiffany-style ones, and she said those are square flat prongs and swapped this in the quote.

Maybe my eyes deceive me, but Tiffany prongs don't look square, they look like beads / rounded.

Questions for you:

- Are Tiffany-style prongs square flat prongs?
- If not, what are they? Maybe safest to say for LM that whatever prongs are on his r505 head?
- Should we get a general discussion on prong tip styles going for people curious about that level of detail?

BF is not worried - I think he feels that LM and him bonded over the phone :razz: and he trusts whatever if he decides to go the LM route - but of course, I totally am because that's not even what I asked for. Thanks for your help!

kauffee1

Rough_Rock
Tiffany has very few and poor pictures of their settings on their website. I found the best place to see real-life and close-up pictures of the Tiffany setting was on eBay. Do a search for "Tiffany engagement" and you'll find a number of rings with close-up pics.

I would think the benefit of going with LM is getting whatever you want. I'd find a picture of the prongs you want, send it to Leon, and say, "Make me this."

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking at photos of rings this morning and was noticing how the difference in prongs REALLY make a difference in the look of the ring. I did a search to see if there is a thread about this and--ironically---you just started this one!! I didnt realise that I even cared about the thickness of prongs until I found a few that were so...so....different!?! From the super thin LM claw prongs to some that are EXREMELY thick and square---what a variety. I am curious about this topic myself now.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here are a few that I saved before, but there are many others, if I find my pictures, I'll post more.
pront%20tips.jpg
prongtips1.jpg
prongtips2.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
D&T that was super helpful!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1300558684|2875281 said:
D&T that was super helpful!

sure thing, there are many others, but is incorporated by the head, like the tulip head or whiteflash's w-prong tips...

be right back for some more pictures :)

ETA:

here are a few others. I'm sure there is more of technical term for some of these, it would be great if a jeweler would chime in as well ::)

prongtips3.jpg

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Thank You D&T...You rock!!

TwinkleStar

Shiny_Rock
Wow, dt, this is all kinds of wonderful! Thank you! I'll also try to find more pics and post them.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Is it more difficult to tighten certain kinds of prongs? As much as I love the look of Leon prongs they also seem like they could snap quite easily. Are they too delicate or do these kinds of prongs stand up to daily wear? Just and inquiring mind not trying to bash Leon FYI

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly Blonde|1300565644|2875403 said:
Is it more difficult to tighten certain kinds of prongs? As much as I love the look of Leon prongs they also seem like they could snap quite easily. Are they too delicate or do these kinds of prongs stand up to daily wear? Just and inquiring mind not trying to bash Leon FYI

My convo w/ the head of WF's bench about super-clawed prongs:

Yssie|1296707520|2841575 said:
Another point of interest, and I think relevant to this thread - prongs.

I had a very interesting convo w/ Leon from WF (not Mege!) today regarding some small adjustments to my ring.

One of the things that came up was claw prongs. My prongs are pointy, but not velociraptor-y (to misuse Deco's terminology). I confess, I have always admired those velociraptor-y prongs, and asked if they could be shaved down... but Leon noted that the thinner they are the more likely they are to loosen slightly with time and wear, and the longer and pointier they are the more likely they are to catch on things as they loosen, and the thinner they are the more likely they are to bend when they catch on things.

Seems obvious, in hindsight, but it wasn't something that I thought of when I admired those needle-thin claw prongs :sick: I have to say - those few sentences totally cured me of my practical desire for velociraptory-y prongs. He's going to make them just a tad pointier for me.

From this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results