shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong Styles Contest

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2006 3:49:11 PM
Author: Princess V
Wow Ana! I really am loving the second one!! It's so different how is the diamond held? I'd be interested in the side view..is that a real ring?

It is a real ring... I don't have a side view, but the profile shows in the 'shadow' - it is a simple six prong basket pegged on top of the diamond-set loop... which I find a bit awkward for the loop design, IMO at least I'd definitely love it better with a marquise.. or some other relatively 'flat' stone that could sit well on the finger and truly held in place by the loop.
5.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2006 3:55:06 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 2/19/2006 3:49:11 PM
Wow Ana! I really am loving the second one!! It''s so different how is the diamond held? I''d be interested in the side view..is that a real ring?

It is a real ring... I don''t have a side view, but the profile shows in the ''shadow'' - it is a simple six prong basket pegged on top of the diamond-set loop... which I find a bit awkward for the loop design, IMO at least I''d definitely love it better with a marquise.. or some other relatively ''flat'' stone that could sit well on the finger and truly held in place by the loop.
5.gif
Yes I see the 6 prong basket now...that is a bit awkward. You''re right a pretty marquise or a pear (thanks to PS I''m partial to both those shapes now haha) would be fab! Beautiful and unique design I have to say
30.gif
even with the slightly awkward round!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2006 4:25:28 PM

... a pretty marquise or a pear (thanks to PS I'm partial to both those shapes now haha) would be fab!
One with pear(s) is already on some shop shelf (HERE)... no marquise in sight, although the shape seems to be the best fit for such exploits, IMO.
10.gif

LoopOnHandmq.JPG

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
That Tiffany ring is really close to what I was describing. I guess that cancels out my design.
7.gif
Oh well, maybe I''ll try to think of something else later. Thanks Ana.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I found a profile shot of the Tiffany Ribbon ring, and its almost exactly what I was descrbing.
7.gif

The only difference is that the "ribbons" on mine were spaced a bit farther apart at the band. I wish I would''ve found that before I wasted time in Paint.
20.gif
Back to the drawing board...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2006 9:37:08 AM

Author: mrssalvo

... a Lily charm. I would make the center colored stone and use pink gold for the leaves. The stone would be bezel set with scalloped prongs circling the top. On each prong would be a tiny diamond.

What if there were almost no metal involved - the prongs (thinking of tube-set diamonds) embedded in the stone carving?

I'be been hunting for a certain 'lily cut' only to find the website of the gem carver down and out. This one is somewhat more remotely a lily and definitely nothing like Arthur Anderson's 'Iris flower cut' stones I had in mind.

Original picture of the citrine carving to the left - photoshop twisted on the side...

FloatingCitrineFlower.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks ana
1.gif
. I really wish i had photoshop right now. i have been doing a little reaseach myself on how to bring Irina''s photoshop of the Lily to life. I''ll keep you guys posted on the progess. I love the Lily shape of the stone with the leaves coming out behind it but really have no idea if it''s even possible
28.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I have another (bad) idea, and I''m not sure if this is even original. Anyway, my idea is for a puzzle ring with three (or more or less) parts. I''ve seen puzzle rings that have diamonds in the center, but none where the stones are set in the "puzzle pieces." Like where the piece is cut put for it to fit with the other band, a stone would be held there in a sort of tension/bezel setting. Then when the two or three bands are put together, it looks like the stone is set in both bands. Here''s a bad paint drawing to give you an idea of what I mean.

Normal puzzle ring
8a43ad02.jpg

My idea

14d45815.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool idea xchick...

something like this from Georg Jensen

09G13.jpg

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
My second idea is for a cathedral setting that looks like a cross between a 6 prong and a tension. At first, I was thinking of using braided metals in the band, but then I saw Mat''s idea. So, how about if the band was normal, maybe set with pave or chanel stones, then at the center, there are little swirls and loops that hold the stone above the band. There would be 6 different pieces that hold the diamond up, but there wouldn''t be any prongs, so it would be a tension setting.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 11:05:39 AM
Cool idea xchick...

something like this from Georg Jensen

09G13.jpg

Thanks MrsS. :) It would be very similar to that except that the stones would be set where the little pieces join, instead of being in the center of the band, so it would look like the stone was set between the two bands. I guess it''s kind of hard to explain.
5.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
more like this??

16G13.jpg

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
That''s closer but still not exactly it. The diamond (or other stone) would take up the whole area where the two bands join. So, the only thing you''d see is the stone. Basically, it would look like two normal bands with diamonds and wouldn''t look like puzzle rings until they were seperated. Is this making sense yet? I''m not very good at being descriptive.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I like that a lot and its pretty close to what I was describing. You''re really talented with Photoshop, you''d make one heck of a designer or digital artist! Thanks!
9.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 12:28:52 PM
Author: XChick03
Yeah, I like that a lot and its pretty close to what I was describing.
Thank you for the compliments everybody, it''s a "monkey see monkey do" business between Adobe and myself, i am just very persistent monkey
16.gif

This would be XChick03''s entry (just made clearer picture) and a last one for the contest.

Thank you all, i will make a new thread for convenient voting later today.

Good luck
35.gif

XChick03Entry.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 11:16:54 AM
The diamond (or other stone) would take up the whole area where the two bands join. So, the only thing you''d see is the stone. Basically, it would look like two normal bands with diamonds and wouldn''t look like puzzle rings until they were seperated. Is this making sense yet? I''m not very good at being descriptive.
Puzzle bands are all out there, have seen many of them, but i guess you can have the second entry with this one, XChick03
35.gif

XChick03Band.jpg

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, thats what I had in mind! There may already be something like that though. I looked and didn't see anything similar, but its possible. You are the best!!! Thank you so much!
9.gif

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 3:56:56 AM

Date: 2/16/2006 9:37:08 AM

... a Lily charm. I would make the center colored stone and use pink gold for the leaves. The stone would be bezel set with scalloped prongs circling the top. On each prong would be a tiny diamond.

What if there were almost no metal involved - the prongs (thinking of tube-set diamonds) embedded in the stone carving?

I'be been hunting for a certain 'lily cut' only to find the website of the gem carver down and out. This one is somewhat more remotely a lily and definitely nothing like Arthur Anderson's 'Iris flower cut' stones I had in mind.

Original picture of the citrine carving to the left - photoshop twisted on the side...
Do you mean the Calla Lily cut? It's at callacut.com, by Nelson.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2006 8:08:13 PM
Author: Rebemdee

Do you mean the Calla Lily cut? It's at callacut.com, by Nelson.
No... there is something else - a hexagon shape with three 'petals' creates by optical effects. The beauty of these 'water lilies' is that the petals turn on and of inside alternating positions as the stone is moved. And sure enough, there's no way to photograph that. I think i was this effect that made their name 'water Lilly' - since those flower too have two layers of alternating 'petals'.

Here's a very bad picture below (set in a bezel). The stone should be an old example, because lately the author changed the style somewhat to make smaller stones in darker colors.

Arthur Lee Anderson's page at GANA is alive and well (LINK), but not his website.

AAL1.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2006 10:50:42 AM

a puzzle ring with three (or more or less) parts. I''ve seen puzzle rings that have diamonds in the center, but none where the stones are set in the ''puzzle pieces.''

Neither did I. Not sure if exposed girdles would stand the battle, but that shouldn''t be a problem ever since the ''tube setting'' (the ''Bubble'' rings have the stones tube-set). Would this work?

38.gif
The round stones would need to be held till the diameter in the mid-band, so that a simple sliding action can separate the rings and they do not get ''hooked'' together ...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
bad art..
x shank with trillant sapphire with a bezel set oval sapphire.

xshanksapphire.jpg

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 9:31:32 PM
Date: 2/20/2006 10:50:42 AM

a puzzle ring with three (or more or less) parts. I''ve seen puzzle rings that have diamonds in the center, but none where the stones are set in the ''puzzle pieces.''

Neither did I. Not sure if exposed girdles would stand the battle, but that shouldn''t be a problem ever since the ''tube setting'' (the ''Bubble'' rings have the stones tube-set). Would this work?

38.gif
The round stones would need to be held till the diameter in the mid-band, so that a simple sliding action can separate the rings and they do not get ''hooked'' together ...

I like the tube setting, but I''m not sure I am crazy about how they "pop" out of the band, it may be too much for a puzzle ring. Maybe just a bezel setting to protect them from chipping?
33.gif
They wouldn''t have to be round stones, I think trillions (like the one above) or pear shapes would look good, too. Thanks again for all your help Ana. You really are great to help everyone so much.
1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Great storm but it''s the last one as i already have everything together for tomorrow''s voting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results