shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong Orientation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
I remember reading somewhere on these boards that, although most 6-prong rings are oriented at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 o''clock, for some reason 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 is better for some reason. Does that ring a bell?
33.gif
Is that true?

Maybe I''m remembering incorrectly and that advice concerned a 4-prong orientation?

Finally, I''m having the stone I bought soon and am trying to decide whether I should go with 6-prong or 4. I understand 6 is more secure, but that doesn''t concern me that much. I think for me the balance is that the 4 prongs would show the color of the stone more (its a D) b/c of the greater side view; but I don''t want the 4 prongs to make the diamond look square (it''d be a traditional prong style).

Any advice?
28.gif

Thanks!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
some people think this makes the diamond look square and others disagree and think it shows more of the diamond:

@ @

@ @

some people think this makes the diamond look like a diamond - I think it's called starset - and others think it looks too different:

@

@ @

@

The most common 6 prong is this: some think it makes the stone look oval and some insist it makes it look more round.

@
@ @

@ @
@

And finally the least common of all probably is this one which I think makes a round look a bit fat and cushiony:

@ @

@ @

@ @

the most vulnerable places are at 9/3 so aranging the pongs to be in those spots can help protect the girdle, but most here find their rings and stones to be plenty stong enough regrdless and choose based on asthetics.
ETA incidentally the first and last configurations might be the easiest to design a band to sit flush with :)

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info - very helpful.
36.gif

Do you have any comment on 4 versus 6 prongs to show the D color of the stone?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Prongs set at 12 and 6 get a lot of wear compared to setting them at 11,1, 5 and 7. I think this is why 6 prongs may be better sometimes with the 1-3-5-7-9-11 orientation. However, some designs do not lend themselves to this so well. Stay flexible. It does not matter all that much.

A stone''s color, or lack of color, is more readily seen from the side when set in few prongs. I don''t think this is much of a factor in the decision, but it is a part of the mix.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, David!
35.gif

Edit: Thank you to both of you. With your help, I was able to decide and just talked to the person setting my stone, so everything's good. I appreciate it.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results