shape
carat
color
clarity

Professional/Experienced Help Please!

lewood

Shiny_Rock
Hi all. I started a thread a few days ago regarding a shiny spot on my otherwise frosted diamond girdle. I took it to Kay's (*cringe*- closest jeweler) to have it inspected under a microscope. Two gals looked at it and deemed it perfectly fine. One girl said it could be a scratch that I see; whereas the other girl said it could be natural inclusion (but that is not stated on my GIA apprasial, so I'm inclined to think that is not it). Should I count them as reliable?????????

Needless to say, I am still concerned. I seriously don't notice a chip (at least I hope not). It feels incredibly smooth. The frosted girdle next to it is grainier, but as soon as my nail grazes that shiny spot, it's smooooooth sailing! Also, strangely, the smooth, shiny spot on the girdle is the entire length of a facet.

I want to know what ya'll think this is! I never noticed it before- I'm really kicking myself for not scrutinizing my diamond to a T (I probably have and am trying to convince myself that I just missed this and that it's nothing... :( ) I've had this diamond for 3 years now. It's not the largest or greatest cut diamond, but it is my beloved e-ring diamond that my DH gave me. I would take this little guy over any other ring in the world (yes, I am a sentimental sap!).

Here are some pictures to show you (hopefully) what I am talking about. What do you think it is?

Shiny spot apparent due to light reflection:
imported_photos_00161.jpg
imported_photos_00163.jpg

Shiny spot not so apparent because it's not being reflected in the light:
imported_photos_00159.jpg

I don't have a loupe; I'm not even sure I could use it properly if I had one!

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Does your lab report show an indented natural? That kind of resembles one.

lewood

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm.....since it is under a carat, there is no plotting shown on my GIA cert. There are no comments stating such either. For clarity characteristics, it states the diamond has: crystal, pinpoint finish......not sure what that means.

lewood

Shiny_Rock
Any other thoughts?

lewood

Shiny_Rock
Shameless bump....

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks like a shallow indentation in the girlde that was partially polished in an attempt to completely remove it, but the removal did not take 100% away from the stone. Instead you have a piece of girdle that is polished, faceted, and the rest of the girdle is not polished, bruted. This is not at all unusual. The small, shallow indention looks entirely within the width of the girdle, so it ought to be no problem for any reason.

lewood

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your reply Oldminer. You've put my jittery nerves at bay.

I'm so glad y'all don't think this is a chip!!!!!! I already baby my rings; now I'm going to baby them even more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results