shape
carat
color
clarity

Priscilla Chan Zuckerberg - ruby e-ring!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I read a ridiculous article about it earlier today. Here are the bits I found really off. The CEO of the Natural Sapphire Company, who gave this interview, comes off looking like a giant asshat. Maybe he's angry Mark didn't buy a stone from him?? :lol:

"A Burmese ruby, which this definitely looks like, can cost upwards of $100,000." Yes, it definitely looks Burmese, from that one photo you were shown, snapped with a massive zoom from hundreds of feet away. :rolleyes:

An estimated 90 percent of the world's rubies originate in Myanmar (formerly Burma) and are known in the trade as "blood rubies." They've been embargoed in the U.S. since 2008. Arnstein points out that if Chan's ring is a Burmese ruby, the stone would have to have been in the country before the embargo. "I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that this is a Burmese ruby and it's from a small jeweler and [the jeweler] broke the law," says Arnstein. "[Zuckerberg] potentially didn't know, but this is probably a smuggled stone. He'd need proper documentation which I'm pretty darn sure he's not going to have."

You. are. kidding. me. He thinks that just because this guy slouches around in jeans and hoodies that he's going to simply stroll into some no-name mom and pop jewelry shop, who happens to be smuggling embargoed jewels, and spend up to ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS (by his own estimates) on an uncertified, undocumented stone. I understand that Joe Average does it all the time, on purchases of $2000, $5000, $10,000. But a billionaire choosing NOT to go to a known, reputable jeweler for a purchase this large? I can't imagine it happens often...and certainly not often enough to bet dollars to donuts! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: I wonder how many donuts Mark will offer to bet. :devil:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That accusation is preposterous. While I am sure that there have been plenty of stones smuggled in, there is also plenty of pre embargo stones. Unless he has some solid evidence, he shouldn't be making such accusations based on what seems to be some very flimsy logic.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1337866314|3202513 said:
I love a good ruby!

She's a pediatrician, isn't she? All day washing hands and dealing with things stuck up kids' noses :D , this is very practical.

But I do kind of hope it's a red diamond; I think Zuckerberg is a big jerk, and if it all goes south, diamonds are still a girl's best friend.

I have been looking for an awesome ruby for a long time, because the Victorian tradition was to wear the husband's birthstone as an engagement ring (is that right?) and DH was born in a ruby month.

I do LOVE rubies . . . but . . . I'm not gonna lie . . . if I had opened the box, I would have said "are there diamond earrings somewhere that come with this, Mr Billionaire?" :D

I might get flamed for this (if I do protect me, iLander! :cheeky: ) but seriously the keystone and side stones register to my eye as being just slightly but definitely too small. I don't think an engagement ring keystone has to be big but THIS one I don't like, it probably has something to do with the setting. I'm not sure but it all comes off as wrong to me.

Yes, if he and she like it, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm just saying what I think of it from these limited pictures. As usual, it would help if we could see better pictures.

I learned in another thread that Silicon Valley culture frowns on PUBLIC displays of wealth. So all you newly minted FB millionaires out there, be sure to get a modest ring and don't post pictures of your private plane. Ok? Thx. Bai. :shock:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1337962660|3203599 said:
HI:

What did her facebook page say about it? :tongue:

cheers--Sharon

And here is what I read in Facebook. Not about the ring, but very funny given the topic of this post.

Zuckerberg is red-and-green color blind! He admitted it himself in an interview. Hence Facebook is blue and white because blue color looks very vibrant to him.

I suspect she chose the ruby herself, otherwise it would be a sapphire... :lol:

http://colormetrix.com/blog/color-blindness-and-the-color-blue/

and here is where it originally came from (you have to read through half of the article to find it, though)

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/09/20/100920fa_fact_vargas?currentPage=all#ixzz0zOynJpFE

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkteia,
That's really interesting!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice sleuthwork there, Ark! That is funny that he's red/green colorblind!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear that it is quite common in males. It runs in my family as well.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Arkteia said:
Zuckerberg is red-and-green color blind! He admitted it himself in an interview. Hence Facebook is blue and white because blue color looks very vibrant to him.

I suspect she chose the ruby herself, otherwise it would be a sapphire... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
My husband has that problem with red and green. The other day he was wearing a purple shirt that he thought was grey. So I guess he has some issues with other colors as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results