shape
carat
color
clarity

Prioritizing Selection Factors for e-ring diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phinsup

Rough_Rock
I have been reading here for a month or two now and have learned so much! So, first, thanks to all who contribute here. This is a great resource and I now know more than I ever dreamed about diamonds.

I am in the market for a diamond for an e-ring. I know for certain that I want an AGS ideal cut -- probably an ACA from WF or similar. But after scrutinizing cut and light return, I'm having some difficulty prioritizing the other C's and would like some input.

I think I'm leaning towards clarity being the next most important factor and will probably only consider down to VS2, but am not completely set on that, so long as it is eye-clean.

But between carat and color, I have some trouble prioritizing.

For example, for about the same price, I could get a (A) 1 ct. VVS1 H or a (B) 1.25 ct. VS1 I or, at a different pricepoint, a (A) 1 ct. VS2 F or a (B) 1.5 ct. VS2 J. I guess this is subjective and perhaps I have not seen enough diamonds in person, knowing their AGS color rating to know how much I can see a difference between a G and an I or an H and a J -- or a D and an I, for that matter.

The setting will be a simple Tiffany style 6-prong knife-edge white gold.

I'd be interested in learning what factors -- after cut -- are most important to you and why -- and what you consider optimum range, such that it would be best to go down in carat to avoid getting anything below a certain color or clarity.

Thanks in advance!

Forgot to mention: Round Brilliant

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, it is all in the eye of the beholder. Do you know if your GF is a size girl? Or a purity type girl? Those things can help narrow it down for you...

For ME, I'm cut first, then carat, then color, then clarity. But at the same time I want it to be eyeclean, and I'm only comfortable down to a certain range of colors (which depend on the size of the stone and the shape of the stone).

For color, I suggest you try to find somewhere local that carries AGS0 stones and compare them in person. Then you'll know what your personal threshold is.

phinsup

Rough_Rock
She is not a "size girl" per se -- she doesn't want anything too gaudy/flashy -- but I'm sure she wouldn't mind a 1.5 ct. instead of a 1 ct. She would prefer quality to size, though. But, unless I go for a IF D (which I do not intend to do), there will naturally be some compromise in some of the qualities to gain a respectable size. It's a lot to weigh and hard to figure what should be most important when comparing certain diamonds. But, like I said, I also don't know how easy it is to see a difference, once set, between certain color grades. If it makes a visible difference, that would be a concern. If it does not, then that factor weighs less into the equation for me. Vague enough?
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 3:15:39 PM
Author: phinsup
She is not a 'size girl' per se -- she doesn't want anything too gaudy/flashy -- but I'm sure she wouldn't mind a 1.5 ct. instead of a 1 ct. She would prefer quality to size, though. But, unless I go for a IF D (which I do not intend to do), there will naturally be some compromise in some of the qualities to gain a respectable size. It's a lot to weigh and hard to figure what should be most important when comparing certain diamonds. But, like I said, I also don't know how easy it is to see a difference, once set, between certain color grades. If it makes a visible difference, that would be a concern. If it does not, then that factor weighs less into the equation for me. Vague enough?
33.gif
Welcome!

A good range to choose from ( assuming the cut is great) could be GIA or AGS graded G or H colour and VS1 or VS2 clarity if you are unsure. Some here have found this to be a good ' sweetspot' to get a high quality diamond which also if well cut, will be very white and clean to the eye.

phinsup

Rough_Rock
Thanks.

In my examples above, for the same price, assuming AGS ideal cut w/ great idealscope images,

(1) would you rather have

(A) 1 ct. VVS1 H
or
(B) 1.25 ct. VS1 I?

(2) and would you rather have

(A) 1 ct. VS2 F
or
(B) 1.5 ct. VS2 J?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 3:26:32 PM
Thanks.

In my examples above, for the same price, assuming AGS ideal cut w/ great idealscope images,

(A) 1 ct. VVS1 H

or

(B) 1.25 ct. VS1 I?

(A) 1 ct. VS2 F

or

(B) 1.5 ct. VS2 J?

Those are pretty diverse options...I''d probably rather have something in the middle like a G VS2 or an H SI1 or some combo like that...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks.

(A) 1 ct. VVS1 H
or
(B) 1.25 ct. VS1 I?

(A) 1 ct. VS2 F
or
(B) 1.5 ct. VS2 J?
Well I love size so assuming all were equally well cut, I would pick the 1.5 J, but as Neat says if you are unsure of your Gf''s preferences, see if you can find some contenders which are in the G or H VS SI range.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I would go for a G or H color SI clarity grading, and get a little bit of a bigger stone.

phinsup

Rough_Rock
OK, so I am gathering that H is about the bottom threshhold for those who have responded so far?

So, for example, given 2 AGS0''s with great idealscope images for the same price, you''d prefer a 1.2 H VS1 to a 1.5 J VS1?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks.

(A) 1 ct. VVS1 H

or

(B) 1.25 ct. VS1 I?

(A) 1 ct. VS2 F

or

(B) 1.5 ct. VS2 J?

In 1, I''d like the 1.25, VS1, I. I personally don''t see the point in WWS1 stones, I''d rather have the size. In 2, the choices are too different for me to know, especially since I''ve never seen a J in real life.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I do a Pricescope search for finely cut ROUND diamonds which I''d be sure to like I limit the depth to 61.5% and the table width to 59%. I look at both GIA and AGS graded diamonds and get any further details of cut quality run through DiamCalc to know how it the stones found seem to compare with one another. I do this for market research purposes, but it is the same as what I''d recommend to a consumer.

Color for most consumers is pretty much the same from D to H in ROUND Diamonds, so G is a great and very safe compromise color.
Clarity of IF to SI1 is pretty much the same visually for ROUND diamonds so VS2 is a great compromise.

Do the search with a broad range of carat weight and you will find where your budget leads you.

With this data, you''ll find many choice diamonds and have very little risk of making a mess of it. It isn''t difficult.

phinsup

Rough_Rock
Thanks Addy, but is "I" too low to consider? Others seem to suggest "H" as the place to draw the line...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 3:55:48 PM
Thanks Addy, but is 'I' too low to consider? Others seem to suggest 'H' as the place to draw the line...
Just chiming in here, an I is not too low at all, however some may see a little touch of warmth from the side in an I colour, but some buyers won't and an I or J can be a perfectly acceptable choice, we have lots of happy I and J owners here. What I would suggest, see if you can view some diamonds of these colour grades in person, that way you will know exactly which is the best choice for you. If you have a Jareds nearby, they carry AGS0 cut grade diamonds, have a look at those so you are comparing diamonds of known cut quality. Also you could look at Hearts on Fire if you have a dealer nearby. Basically we are recommending G or H colour as you seem unsure of what to buy and experience here from us consumers who have seen others with the same dilemma, and expert David who has an incredible amount of knowledge and experience with diamonds, means that G or H colour can be a ' safe' choice if you don't know which colour grade to go for.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Addy, but is ''I'' too low to consider? Others seem to suggest ''H'' as the place to draw the line...

It''s really a personal preference. For most people an I will still be gorgeous, but some might see a bit of warmth from the side, which will bother some people and not others.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Addy, but is ''I'' too low to consider? Others seem to suggest ''H'' as the place to draw the line...

I isn''t too low for me, I''ve seen a couple of well cut I stones in real life. It''s all down to not only what you can see, but what you like.

phinsup

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the replies so far! I guess what I need to do is go to a B&M dealer and check out some AGS0''s side by side to see what I see or don''t see. Among the candidates (as you can tell, I still have a number of those), I guess I have no way of knowing whether the over $2.1k difference between a 1.2 VS1 H and a 1.2 VS2 I is worth it, without somehow looking at something in person.

summertime

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 3:55:05 PM
Author: oldminer
When I do a Pricescope search for finely cut ROUND diamonds which I''d be sure to like I limit the depth to 61.5% and the table width to 59%. I look at both GIA and AGS graded diamonds and get any further details of cut quality run through DiamCalc to know how it the stones found seem to compare with one another. I do this for market research purposes, but it is the same as what I''d recommend to a consumer.

Color for most consumers is pretty much the same from D to H in ROUND Diamonds, so G is a great and very safe compromise color.
Clarity of IF to SI1 is pretty much the same visually for ROUND diamonds so VS2 is a great compromise.

Do the search with a broad range of carat weight and you will find where your budget leads you.

With this data, you''ll find many choice diamonds and have very little risk of making a mess of it. It isn''t difficult.
Can color be noticed more easily with fancy shapes?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If one had a tight budget limit I''d hunt down to J color and down to SI2 clarity along with very good to excellent cutting to make the entire package less costly, but still very nice and highly attractive. When I limit cutting on bedget deals, I allow up to a 61% table and up to 63% depth. I don''t go for any girlde described beyond "thick" and also avoid girdles less than "thin". No crown angles over 35.5% or less than 32.5% gives a fairly broad set of choices without going near any danger zones. These are much more budget oriented parameters than I gave before, and not for ultimate quality, but decent compromises on all fronts. There are many ways to shop with varying degree of constraint.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This is completely personal but

A 1.1 H SI1 will make me
emsmile.gif

A 1.3 G VS2 will make me
emotion-15.gif

A 1.5 F VS1 will make me
emteeth.gif

My future hubby spending more than he can afford will make me
emotion-39.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think checking out stones in stores is a good idea. Keep in mind, it''s not just about what you see, but about what you like. Between a D and I I saw recently I could see the difference. I colour didn''t bother me though. It looked white, but not blinding clear like the D, which I didn''t prefer as much.

You may well be able to tell a hint of colour of warmth in a J, or even an G, but just because you can tell it''s there doesn''t mean it''s bad.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 5:07:06 PM
Author: summertime
Date: 12/10/2008 3:55:05 PM

Author: oldminer

Can color be noticed more easily with fancy shapes?

Yes. Fancy shapes show color more easily than rounds. And step cuts show color more than brilliant cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results