color
clarity

Princess engagement ring

Grust

Rough_Rock
Well she definitely likes 3 things:
1 princess cut - done
2 comfort fit - which in her case means not a knife edge style - done
3 minimalistic setting - which is hard to understand but definitely assumes simple construction of the place where the stone is attached to the ring - without additional bars, complicated weaves of metals and other things (which I hardly can explain)

Classic 4 prong style from their picture seemed insufficiently refined to me with too bold brutal prongs.
And this legera setting seemed more refined but pictures were together with a round bigger stone(

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well she definitely likes 3 things:
1 princess cut - done
2 comfort fit - which in her case means not a knife edge style - done
3 minimalistic setting - which is hard to understand but definitely assumes simple construction of the place where the stone is attached to the ring - without additional bars, complicated weaves of metals and other things (which I hardly can explain)

Classic 4 prong style from their picture seemed insufficiently refined to me with too bold brutal prongs.
And this legera setting seemed more refined but pictures were together with a round bigger stone(

Okay, everything will look bigger/bulkier in photos. Why don’t you have the cs rep send you a hand photo of the finished ring? Maybe you will like it as is in real life.

Grust

Rough_Rock
It is already on the way to me.. (to my friend in US actually who will bring it to me)
I was very time sensitive and it turned out that not all settings could be completed in two weeks.
I was expecting something closer to this.
prong.jpg

Should have called this topic similar to a neighbouring one "exhausted and overwhelmed"

Attachments

• prong.jpg
    prong.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 15

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then, just love it and let it go. You did a great job finding exactly what she wanted. If she prefers different prongs, see with BGD can do for you.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ^^^ :)

You've done what you can and I'm sure she will love it!

Let her enjoy it and get used to it for a couple of weeks, and then you can mention to her that you hope she likes the ring but you are happy to make any changes if it's not quite perfect, because you want her to be happy :)

Grust

Rough_Rock

Not quite understоod the signs.

BGD tells that images are highly magnified. They made them as "thin as possible but still structurally safe for the diamond to be held". Encourage me to take receipt of the ring and see "just how dainty the prongs really are in life." Well, they better be dainty..

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ^^^ are supposed to be arrows pointing at the post above them :D lol

Grust

Rough_Rock
Hi guys.
Seems like my purchase is going to be a failure.
I understand that buying offline is not a popular option at this forum. And I used to agree totally.
You expect to get something of higher quality (better cut) from a more competitive segment of industry at lower prices, you get 360-degree videos and patient consultations – that`s all fine.
Why pay tiffany 3x price, receive a who-knows-how-cut-and-graded stone in a fashionable box?

Yeaah, to me it also seemed illogical. But now it doesn`t.
May be it works if you plan 3-6 months beforehand and preferably live in the same country with your online vendor.
But if you are planning to propose on vacation next month, have a friend who is (un)luckily on a trip to the country of your vendor and is ready to help – what can go wrong? – anything.

1/ For personal reasons my friend asked to change a pickup location (it`s in the same city, 5 miles from the first one). The vendor made changes instantly, sent me a confirmation letter with the updated address. It was not in transit at that time. The vendor sent it later that day.
But the parcel arrived on the previous wrong one address. My friend spent an hour waiting in a queue to be told that the parcel is in another pickup point. He tried to get there the next day but he was late (what`s the hell with traffic in central Chicago on Satuday).
So now he left to NY for 2 days but, from my experience there is nothing that can be done by FedEx on the next day without failure.

2/ You receive pictures of the ring (together with the confirmation that it`s sent – lovely) where setting seems hugely different from the online pictures.
1 – is my ring. I conducted some poll among my friends. May be it`s only me who considers the prongs too big and feels like a tiny stone is embraced by giant paws. And how come that it resembles double prongs merged together.
Guess what, 100% voted they are too big and seem strange.
2, 3 – pictures of that setting.
But then you are advised by your vendor to pickup the ring and see how dainty prongs are in real life (because they may seem different online under high magnification)
I`m sorry picture #4 is also magnified. Which do you prefer? May be you have one set of prongs for .5ct and for 2.0ct – but how about tell me before. Because according to my small poll nobody likes the kind of prongs on my ring.
Or you are expected to receive it, ask the vendor to remake it and be ready to resend it back and forwards (filling forms, paying import duties and waiting, when some day you will get it). May be for the next wedding.

Failures happen, who is responsible? Of course, that`s me.
Going to buy something better and cheaper and hassle-free? No it just means you can`t afford to pay tiffany. Yes, they are greedy bastards, grade their products by themselves (lovely) and charge 3x price. But you can see immediately what you pay for, your gf is happy, most probably she never knows what`s the difference between angles, what`s an asset, and why ags is more informative than gia.
She gets a diamond ring in a stylish box – in 99% it`s more than enough.
And you sleep well. And it`s worth the price.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 13

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi guys.
Seems like my purchase is going to be a failure.
I understand that buying offline is not a popular option at this forum. And I used to agree totally.
You expect to get something of higher quality (better cut) from a more competitive segment of industry at lower prices, you get 360-degree videos and patient consultations – that`s all fine.
Why pay tiffany 3x price, receive a who-knows-how-cut-and-graded stone in a fashionable box?

Yeaah, to me it also seemed illogical. But now it doesn`t.
May be it works if you plan 3-6 months beforehand and preferably live in the same country with your online vendor.
But if you are planning to propose on vacation next month, have a friend who is (un)luckily on a trip to the country of your vendor and is ready to help – what can go wrong? – anything.

1/ For personal reasons my friend asked to change a pickup location (it`s in the same city, 5 miles from the first one). The vendor made changes instantly, sent me a confirmation letter with the updated address. It was not in transit at that time. The vendor sent it later that day.
But the parcel arrived on the previous wrong one address. My friend spent an hour waiting in a queue to be told that the parcel is in another pickup point. He tried to get there the next day but he was late (what`s the hell with traffic in central Chicago on Satuday).
So now he left to NY for 2 days but, from my experience there is nothing that can be done by FedEx on the next day without failure.

2/ You receive pictures of the ring (together with the confirmation that it`s sent – lovely) where setting seems hugely different from the online pictures.
1 – is my ring. I conducted some poll among my friends. May be it`s only me who considers the prongs too big and feels like a tiny stone is embraced by giant paws. And how come that it resembles double prongs merged together.
Guess what, 100% voted they are too big and seem strange.
2, 3 – pictures of that setting.
But then you are advised by your vendor to pickup the ring and see how dainty prongs are in real life (because they may seem different online under high magnification)
I`m sorry picture #4 is also magnified. Which do you prefer? May be you have one set of prongs for .5ct and for 2.0ct – but how about tell me before. Because according to my small poll nobody likes the kind of prongs on my ring.
Or you are expected to receive it, ask the vendor to remake it and be ready to resend it back and forwards (filling forms, paying import duties and waiting, when some day you will get it). May be for the next wedding.

Failures happen, who is responsible? Of course, that`s me.
Going to buy something better and cheaper and hassle-free? No it just means you can`t afford to pay tiffany. Yes, they are greedy bastards, grade their products by themselves (lovely) and charge 3x price. But you can see immediately what you pay for, your gf is happy, most probably she never knows what`s the difference between angles, what`s an asset, and why ags is more informative than gia.
She gets a diamond ring in a stylish box – in 99% it`s more than enough.
And you sleep well. And it`s worth the price.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

I’m sorry this happened to you..This is fixable..I know it’s a terrible inconvenience but since they do custom work they can make the prongs smaller. They should never have used those prongs on that stone..I would be frustrated too but you will get it fixed,..your girlfriend will be happy because I’m sure the diamond is beautiful..and this blip will be in the past. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry, but those prongs are awful. I can’t believe they though those looked alright. I’m sorry this didn’t work out for you.

Grust

Rough_Rock
But guys, how do you go with this returning, remaking, resending?
Say, you live in Britain, Aussie, Asia. You take delivery, pay taxes, open the box - send it back. A month later you receive it remade. Explain to your customs that you already paid duties (no idea how this is done in your countries). Btw in my country (Russia) 50% it will be stolen, 50% - broken. It's insured - fine. But it will take ages. I just have no idea now how this system may work.
If I buy clothes or trainers online - hell with it. If it's small, my brother will destroy it, if it's big - my father has new shoes. No fuss. But spending thousands...

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Grust I absolutely understand your frustration and I am sorry that you are going through that. Ideally, about remaking, you should have not requested that the ring be sent without fixing the prongs first.
However, it’s all still doable. BGD can recall the ring, or just dont have your friend pick it up and the ring will go back to BGD. Explain that the prongs really bother you. You didn’t specify earlier to them, but what you really wanted were delicate v prongs. You can’t be comparing prongs on rounds and princess, but v prongs look lovely on princess cuts.

A question for you:
1. When is your friend traveling to Russia?

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh boy..I’m not familiar with overseas customs, etc..That really stinks @Grust..If it were me I would contact BG and tell them you had reservations about the prongs.They wanted you to accept it to see it in person..The prongs are just too big..and ask if they could at least pay for a portion of the customs..by giving you a discount on what you paid for the ring. I would be very pleasant but show how upset you are. Hopefully they will give you a good discount AND fix your ring. Good luck!

Grust

Rough_Rock
Not sure, that you are interested in details.
I was choosing the stone and the setting in BGD list for a week or so. I liked their online support and also they have reputation of top quality cut and they were responsive. They even had positive experience with shipping to Russia. But then this thing with my friend going to the US happened. And I decided to use this opportunity. On August 3 I paid. On August 15 it was shipped. Quick for some extra fee. August 17 it arrived in the wrong place and next day was the last day in the University for my friend, he really tried to get to FedEx in the second part of the day but was late. Now he is in NY and leaving on 22 August to Russia.
And September 8 I am leaving to Santorini. I am kind of in the mood to make it a special vacation and not postponing the proposal date. Some hotels are booked and other arrangements are made for day D.
And given BGD have perfect reviews here, I was not expecting to return, resend. Now I just don`t have time to.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure, that you are interested in details.
I was choosing the stone and the setting in BGD list for a week or so. I liked their online support and also they have reputation of top quality cut and they were responsive. They even had positive experience with shipping to Russia. But then this thing with my friend going to the US happened. And I decided to use this opportunity. On August 3 I paid. On August 15 it was shipped. Quick for some extra fee. August 17 it arrived in the wrong place and next day was the last day in the University for my friend, he really tried to get to FedEx in the second part of the day but was late. Now he is in NY and leaving on 22 August to Russia.
And September 8 I am leaving to Santorini. I am kind of in the mood to make it a special vacation and not postponing the proposal date. Some hotels are booked and other arrangements are made for day D.
And given BGD have perfect reviews here, I was not expecting to return, resend. Now I just don`t have time to.

Ok, just have BGD ship it to NYC so your friend can pick it up. FedEx has overnight delivery, this is not impossible. You were working on extremely tight timeline that did not allow any room for error and unfortunately there was an error. You can still get the ring in time. Where is your friend located in nyc? What is the closest FedEx with pick up options?

Grust

Rough_Rock
Ok, just have BGD ship it to NYC so your grind can pick it up. FedEx has overnight delivery, this is not impossible. You were working on extremely tight timeline that did not allow any room for error and unfortunately there was an error. You can still get the ring in time. Where is your friend located in nyc? What is the closest FedEx with pick up options?
He is a tourist there, opted for Times Square :shifty:
But still, ain`t the prongs look strange?
What`s the sense then?
Everybody here posted, that it looked strange. Replies are in the range from "you will get used to it" to "awful".

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is a tourist there, opted for Times Square :shifty:
But still, ain`t the prongs look strange?
What`s the sense then?
Everybody here posted, that it looked strange. Replies are in the range from "you will get used to it" to "awful".

I do think that they probably look much better in person than they do on the photo. I also think that at this point you can still get the ring, see it and propose. The option to return is always there. I have a friend whose ring has six huge and uneven prongs (which yours are not). My friend doesn’t even see them, she just sees her diamond and loves her ring as is. We are a very, very picky group here. After having personal issues with very delicate prongs, I almost prefer slightly larger prongs for diamond protection which is something that princess cuts especially need.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry, I probably should have used different wording.

You could also take the ring to a local (to you) jeweler to have the prongs shaved.

Grust

Rough_Rock
I do think that they probably look much better in person than they do on the photo. I also think that at this point you can still get the ring, see it and propose. The option to return is always there. I have a friend whose ring has six huge and uneven prongs (which yours are not). My friend doesn’t even see them, she just sees her diamond and loves her ring as is. We are a very, very picky group here. After having personal issues with very delicate prongs, I almost prefer slightly larger prongs for diamond protection which is something that princess cuts especially need.

I see, thx. You have a sound point.
I just don`t find usefull advices that only cheer up like "try to get used to" and "it`s better than nothing"
I am a kind of patient that would choose to hear the true diagnosis.
But yours has a point.
I am also a kind of picky.

Grust

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry, I probably should have used different wording.

You could also take the ring to a local (to you) jeweler to have the prongs shaved.

It`s just right. I find true natural honest review much more helpful!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see, thx. You have a sound point.
I just don`t find usefull advices that only cheer up like "try to get used to" and "it`s better than nothing"
I am a kind of patient that would choose to hear the true diagnosis.
But yours has a point.
I am also a kind of picky.

Btw Tacori for example has multiple princess cut designs with exaggerated prongs that many people like. Again from a protection perspective, I would much prefer slightly larger prongs than small ones that could potentially leave the ring exposed. Princess cuts or other shapes and different ring designs might not be liked equally by the wide audience, that doesn’t mean that a ring is “ugly”. I think we sometimes forget to leave or personal preferences aside. In your case, a proposal in Santorini is the ultimate goal. I bet that your gf will be much more excited about that than any prong rework.

I would ask BGD to direct the ring to the closest FedEx location in NYC near Times Square and make sure that your friend picks up the ring. The pick up literally takes 5mins tops. It’s easy to see the operating hours online for each fedex location.

Grust

Rough_Rock
The pick up literally takes 5mins tops.
Thx. According to my friends words, he spent an hour in queue in FedEx near Chicago University)
But I`ve not been to the US postal industry, do not have my own experience.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who has the ring right now? FedEx or BGD?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thx. According to my friends words, he spent an hour in queue in FedEx near Chicago University)
But I`ve not been to the US postal industry, do not have my own experience.
It completely depends on how busy FedEx is at the time you try to pick up. Unfortunately, I imagine bigger cities have busier FedEx locations.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It completely depends on how busy FedEx is at the time you try to pick up. Unfortunately, I imagine bigger cities have busier FedEx locations.

True, it depends on the location, but I highly doubt that to be the the case. Without trying to question his integrity, I am not fully convinced that OPs friend is being honest with him. In my opinion, he didn’t try really hard to pick up the ring. I live in a large city and I guarantee you that if fedex had 1hr wait lines, they will not be in business. Not to mention that once you are at the location, they will never send you out without your package. Operating hours is when the doors close, but once you are in, you are in. Maybe he traveled an hr trying to get to the location and didn’t make it in time? That I can believe.

Regardless, if the ring is rerouted to NYC now, will he pick it up or will he only “try to pick it up”? I have personally picked up rings for friends more times than I can count. Once, it was even in a blizzard and most roads were closed. When you take a responsibility for someone else’s engagement ring, you have to follow through. @Grust you sure he can do that?

Grust

Rough_Rock
I am staying on the assumtion that he is trustworthy.
He was waiting in the post office, but the parcel arrived in a different one by mistake as I mentioned well above.
He studied there actually from early morning till late and went to the postal office at his lunchtime. Now he is a tourist in NY. I am 100% sure in him.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am staying on the assumtion that he is trustworthy.
He was waiting in the post office, but the parcel arrived in a different one by mistake as I mentioned well above.
He studied there actually from early morning till late and went to the postal office at his lunchtime. Now he is a tourist in NY. I am 100% sure in him.

Ok. My advice is to do the following:
1. Contact BGD ASAP and ask them to reroute the ring to the closest fedex location near Times Sq in NYC.
2. Give your friend the tracking number to that he can see where the package gets delivered.
3. Make sure that he picks it up on time.

Grust

Rough_Rock
It arrived..
And it`s hard to understand but in reality all these prongs look so tiny...
It seems like a rather non-photogenic but very-very cute in realiy.
I really like it more than traditional v-shaped prongs..
Ok, BGD, I`m rather satisfied)
IMG_1208-27-08-18-16-52.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results