Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut pavilion depth concern

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

muncan

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a princess cut engagement ring that is an H, SI clarity 1.01 carats. I am purchasing this from a private party and have looked at the diamond in sunlight (as filtered through a window). While the color and clarity of the diamond seems correct, I have a concern over the depth of the diamond.

When held up to the light and looked at directly from the top, there is an X that shows from the cutlet of the diamond and radiates up (not a lot but enough to be noticed).

I had a round diamond to compare the brilliance to and realize that a round stone is going to give me much more sparkle than this princess cut. What do the shadows mean? What would I sacrifice if I were to get this diamond?

FYI - I plan on having a diamond appraiser meet me to give me a full appraisal of the diamond once I decide to purchase it, but before I spend the money to have him come out, I want to inquire about these shadows.

I appreciate your input.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Muncan, welcome to the forum.

Do you know the proportions (table, depth, measurements and mabe crown & pavilion)?

Dark X is probably caused by the head obstruction - similar to dark arrows visible in round diamonds (see e.g. Arrows - Obscuration and contrast).

Most of princess diamonds are cut to retain weight and it is not a surprise that you found a round diamond more brilliant. Unfortunately, table and depth numbers are not enough to evaluate princess or any other fancy shape cut quality. (See e.g. The matter of depth in a princess-cut ).

There are other methods to evaluate cut quality of the fancy shapes. One of them is using IdealScope or ASET

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.