shape
carat
color
clarity

princess cut dimensions/advice

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by kugino, Nov 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. kugino
    Rough_Rock

by kugino » Nov 15, 2001
    hi...i'm choosing between two princess cuts but am a little unsure about table, depth, etc. standards for the princess cut. here are the two stones...both are GIA certified:

1.22 F/VS1
    6.43x5.72x3.89
    depth 68%
    table 68%
    girdle medium to thick
    culet none
    polish and symmetry good
    no flourescence

1.23 D/VS2 (this one is also laser inscribed and has recently been graded)
    6.09x5.98x4.31
    depth 72.3%
    table 77%
    girdle thin to slightly thick
    culet none
    polish excellent, symmetry very good
    faint flourescence

I can get these diamonds for the same price. While the D/VS2 is better all around, it does have a rather spread table and deep depth. I like the depth and table on the F/VS2, but its "squareness" is askew.

What are acceptable depth and table percentages for princess cuts? I know what they are for rounds, but it's hard to find info for princess cuts. I've already seen the F/VS1 and it is pretty...i'm going to see the D/VS2 tomorrow. HELLLPPP!!!!

thanks...

2. pricescope
    Ideal_Rock

by pricescope » Nov 15, 2001
    Hi Kugino,

?

Based on depth and table only the first stone looks better but I'm not sure about "squareness". You have to check it with an expert like David.[/u]

3. oldminer
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by oldminer » Nov 16, 2001
    If the opposite sides are parallel, then it is only up to you to decide if you prefer a rectangle or a square shape. There is no difference in "quality" becasue of length to width ratio. That is a subjective decision on your part.

If by "askew" you mean the stone is not a true rectangle, then I'd just skip it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.