shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut diamond worries!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kemp707

Rough_Rock
Like most of the message posts I have been reading..... Im getting ready to propose to my girlfriend! Ive never been more nervous in my life.

Im usually somone who makes decisions pretty easily but for some reason I find myself scrutinizing and questioning every little thing with buying this diamond.

I have been saving up cash for this very event for the past few years. But I just recently started reading up on actually making the purchase. I know my minimum standards and I know what type of stone (princess) and what setting she wants (Tiffany - Lucidia) but I have 2 issues I just cant get past to make my decision.....

1) ...... can there be a ring too big?

I know it sounds funny but im paranoid about this! Ive seen some ladies walking around with excessively LARGE rings that I thought looked horrible and gaudy. I want the ring I get for her to look beautiful.... not some aweful eye sore.

My friends joke with me and say that girls would never say a diamond is too big..... bigger the better. But my girlfriend is not like that at all. I know she would love anything I get for her even if it were super small.

I have seen different sized rings on coworkers and friends but none have been princess cuts. The largest I have been able to see was a 1.25 regular cut and it looked HUGE!!

Anyone have suggestions or comments on what is too big? Or if there can be a too big?

2) I''ve been gauging prices but most of what I am seeing out there are cuts other than princess styles so not sure how to identify a "good deal" in pricing the ring.

Im working through a broker that comes highly recommended within several messages on this board and a few other forums as well. He has a 1.51 princess cut stone but Im extremely paranoid that it is going to be WAY too big on her hand. Her finger size is 6.5

Here are the specs....
GIA certified
dimensions - 6.59x6.40x4.52
carrats - 1.51
depth - 70.6%
table - 72%
girdle - thin to slightly thick
cutlet - none
poilish - very good
symetry - very good
clarity - VS2
color - G
flourescence - none

total charge $10,800
If this size is not too big... would this be a good price?

Anyone able to provide a very nervous shopper with some advice?
face7.gif

Thanks!!!!
mk~

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a 1.5 princess on a 6.5 finger size is pretty proportional

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

I think that size Princess would look great, large enough to look right on her hand. I think you could even go up to 2 plus carats and it would still look good, really large to me is 3.5 carats plus, 1.5 is a classic size IMO.

Check out this thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/exited-and-engaged-pics-of-my-e-ring.36224/

The poster has a 2 carat Princess on a 4.75 size finger, this will give you an idea of size relative to the one you are considering.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2006 1:45:45 PM
Author:kemp707

1) ...... can there be a ring too big?

possibly, but most people can''t afford it!

I know it sounds funny but im paranoid about this! Ive seen some ladies walking around with excessively LARGE rings that I thought looked horrible and gaudy. I want the ring I get for her to look beautiful.... not some aweful eye sore.

make sure it is well cut and you will have a beauty!
2.gif

My friends joke with me and say that girls would never say a diamond is too big..... bigger the better. But my girlfriend is not like that at all. I know she would love anything I get for her even if it were super small.

I have seen different sized rings on coworkers and friends but none have been princess cuts. The largest I have been able to see was a 1.25 regular cut and it looked HUGE!!

Anyone have suggestions or comments on what is too big? Or if there can be a too big?

a 1.5 princess will be about the same diameter as a 1.25 round (7mm). it''s a nice size.
2.gif

i don''t think it is too big but if you think she would be uncomfortable with that size, then go smaller. as long as you get the very best cut, it doesn''t matter what size you end up with.

2) I''ve been gauging prices but most of what I am seeing out there are cuts other than princess styles so not sure how to identify a ''good deal'' in pricing the ring.

you can use the ''pricescope your diamond'' search at the top of this page to get an idea on pricing. make sure you are comparing like stones in your search.

Im working through a broker that comes highly recommended within several messages on this board and a few other forums as well. He has a 1.51 princess cut stone but Im extremely paranoid that it is going to be WAY too big on her hand. Her finger size is 6.5

Here are the specs....

GIA certified
carrats - 1.51
depth - 70.6%
table - 72%
girdle - thin to slightly thick
cutlet - none
poilish - very good
symetry - very good
clarity - VS2
color - G
flourescence - none

total charge $10,800

If this size is not too big... would this be a good price?

Anyone able to provide a very nervous shopper with some advice?
face7.gif

Thanks!!!!
mk~
not too big.
2.gif
do a search and see what you come up with. you can also search ''in house'' or by ''cut quality'' to narrow it down to stones that are not in virtual inventory.

kemp707

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the comments everyone!

The document from GIA states at the top:

Shaping and cutting style............"Square Modified Brilliant Cut"

Is that the cut you are refering to, Belle?

kemp707

Rough_Rock
bleh.. double posts!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
In regards to size, there''s no such thing as a diamond that''s too big. BUT, your girlfriend MAY want a stone that''s on the smaller side for everyday wear. I personally love my 3+ct princess (my finger size is 4.5) and would not go bigger for a stone I wear daily. I do, however, plan on getting a larger stone for special events (probably around 5-8 cts depending on the style). With your girl, she may prefer a higher color and smaller carat stone. But, considering the stone size you''re looking at and her finger size, I doubt she''ll have a problem with a 1.5ct stone.

In terms of this particular stone, DO NOT buy it before you check out the crown and pavilion angles/percents and the ideal scope image. While there are no red flags with those specs, it''s possible the stone will have a low crown (around 8%).

Good luck in your search!

salmon

Shiny_Rock
Kemp707,

Let me give you a male perspective, if I may. You''re in a similar situation as myself. I''m looking at exactly the same stones (princess and other square cuts) and settings (Lucida). My GF has the same finger size as your GF. My GF feels like your GF (happy with what ever I get her). I agree with you about the huge size and a stone being too big. Listen to your GF, if she''s happy with what ever you get her, go for a higher quality cut and smaller carat size (1carat). I think a 1 carat, beautiful, square cut stone (Princess,Radiant,Lucere, Square H&A and etc.) would be more than enough. Get the best cut and highest color you can afford in a 1 carat Square cut diamond. Why spend the extra cash on a bigger stone, if she''s happy with whatever you give her. Take the rest of the cash and go on Holiday! My only other suggestion would be to go for a custom setting, if you can afford it. That would also enhance the look of your beautiful diamond. In the end, you may spend the same money, but at least the ring won''t be gaudy and you would have provided your lady with the highest quality diamond and setting you could afford. Go for the mind clean setting and stone. Some may think buying a smaller size stone is being cheap, I don''t. ESPECIALLY, if you go for a custom setting, and a very High Quality stone. In fact, as I said before you could spend the same amount of money on a 1 carat stone as you would on a 1.5 stone, depending on cut, color, and clarity grades. That''s what I think. If anyone doesn''t agree with me, please no flaming, I''m just giving him my advice based on my situation, which is almost identical to his own. Kemp707, you know your GF better than anyone on this board. And IMHO, there is a such thing as a stone that is too big. Particularly if your GF is very active (hiking, rock climbing and etc.) like mine. Good luck, and let us see those pics when you''re done.

Honeyfly

Rough_Rock
I am looking at princess diamonds too, and my finger size is M, which I think equates to a size 6. I have tried all different sizes on, and a 1.5 carat would be a perfect size in my opinion!! Currently I am looking around the 1 carat mark, but if I could go to a 1.5 carat I would!

I definitely do not think that she would be saddened by a decent sized diamond!! Go for it!

salmon

Shiny_Rock
Honeyfly,

Curious, what is a decent sized diamond? Is it a half size over a 1 carat diamond?

Kemp707, listen to your girlfriend and to me ;-) Go for a high quality diamond and a custom setting. Especially if your GF isn''t very materialistic. BIGGER DOES NOT EQUATE TO BETTER! OR I LOVE HER MORE! Ghee Whiz!! I''ll never understand that!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that I agree that most girls will like whatever you get them. The ring is a symbol, a promise to love her for eternity. I would have loved any stone/ring my hubby got for me, and I know many who feel the same. But, most girls do have a vision of what their ring will look like, what size etc.. Much of this is determined by their mom''s rings, as well as those of their friends. Do the people around your girlfriend wear larger rings? If so, she may think a 1.5ct is just right. Also, remember that she will experience diamond shrinkage!
9.gif

On a final note, I do find it offensive that people think a big ring equals a materialistic girl, or a poor quality diamond. My stone is very well cut (one of the best if I do say so myself--and I do) and I''m not materialistic, especially considering my SES (I could have gone bigger if I''d wanted). And, with my friends, my stone is not considered all that big. It''s just the right size for me
16.gif

salmon

Shiny_Rock
Kemp707,

This is my last response KEMP. Listen, if the diamond isn''t big enough for her: RUN!! She not worth the recent increases in platinum prices! She doesn''t sound like that type to me.

Diamond Shrinkage ( I''m not materialistic)?? Give me a break "Researcher". Do you mean you don''t want to admit you''re materialistic. Or maybe your definition is different from Webster''s. Everyone who spends disposable income on anything outside of food, clothes, shelter, and charitable causes is:Materialistic, including MYSELF! The consumption of non essntial items is Materilaism. And it''s almost impossible to be anything other than materialistic in a consumer based society, unless you''re a Monk or a Priest. Enough of my ramblin. Good luck Kemp and do listen to your heart on this issue.

GOD forbid your GF has "Diamond Shrinkage", which sounds like a life threatening condition to me. Maybe you should just hand over your life savings and let her pick put her own diamond. Whatever you decide GOODLUCK BRO! She sounds like a decent woman to me.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
You say that you are uncomfortable with a larger size diamond but do you think that your GF feels the same way? I would get what she wants, as she has to wear it everyday.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Here are the specs....
I can''t help with pricing because I don''t shop princesses a lot, but I can assure you this won''t be too big on her hand.

My round diamond is 7mm on my 6.5 finger, and to me, that''s just right. Not too big, not too small.

By your dimensions about, this diamond will have the diameter presence equivalent to a 1 ct. well-cut round. VERY classy and "un-gaudy".
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 3:20:16 AM
Author: salmon
Kemp707,

Let me give you a male perspective, if I may. You''re in a similar situation as myself. I''m looking at exactly the same stones (princess and other square cuts) and settings (Lucida). My GF has the same finger size as your GF. My GF feels like your GF (happy with what ever I get her). I agree with you about the huge size and a stone being too big. Listen to your GF, if she''s happy with what ever you get her, go for a higher quality cut and smaller carat size (1carat). I think a 1 carat, beautiful, square cut stone (Princess,Radiant,Lucere, Square H&A and etc.) would be more than enough.

..........In fact, as I said before you could spend the same amount of money on a 1 carat stone as you would on a 1.5 stone, depending on cut, color, and clarity grades. That''s what I think. If anyone doesn''t agree with me, please no flaming, I''m just giving him my advice based on my situation,
No flaming at all....I just want to point out that you guys are looking at WEIGHT and thinking it translate to SIZE, and it doesn''t.

The 1.5 ct. princess stone Kemp listed above has dimensions of 6.52mm x 6.40mm. That''s the same diameter as a 1 ct. round stone. As such, if you go with a 1 ct. princess, it will be smaller - I think around 5.75mm or so.....smaller on the hand than a 1 ct. round. If you like that look, that''s fine, but I just want you to be aware of it.

As a woman with a 6.5 finger, I didn''t care what my hubby SPENT. I cared about how the ring "fit" my hand. I tried on a bunch of stones with NO consideration for the weight, but instead for the diameter (size) of the stone. I found that anything smaller than 6mm looked unremarkable; 6.5mm looked good, and 7mm looked fantastic.

I''ll also tell you that for most women, how the diamond looks on her hand is far more important that how much you spend. We don''t care; we don''t interpret how much you spend as a badge of honor, so there''s no reason to "spend as much" as a smaller stone. If you want a smaller stone, get a smaller stone of same properties and save.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2006 9:58:23 AM
Kemp707,

This is my last response KEMP. Listen, if the diamond isn't big enough for her: RUN!! She not worth the recent increases in platinum prices! She doesn't sound like that type to me.

Diamond Shrinkage ( I'm not materialistic)?? Give me a break 'Researcher'. Do you mean you don't want to admit you're materialistic. Or maybe your definition is different from Webster's. Everyone who spends disposable income on anything outside of food, clothes, shelter, and charitable causes is:Materialistic, including MYSELF! The consumption of non essntial items is Materilaism. And it's almost impossible to be anything other than materialistic in a consumer based society, unless you're a Monk or a Priest. Enough of my ramblin. Good luck Kemp and do listen to your heart on this issue.

GOD forbid your GF has 'Diamond Shrinkage', which sounds like a life threatening condition to me. Maybe you should just hand over your life savings and let her pick put her own diamond. Whatever you decide GOODLUCK BRO! She sounds like a decent woman to me.
Jeez Salmon, a little harsh there on Researcher? (and you're the one saying "don't flame me for sharing my opinion"!!!) Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome is just a tongue-in-cheek term used around here to refer to the practically physiological response of your eyes becoming adjusted to the size of your rock. It does NOT mean that the diamond has suddenly become too small to tolerate and so one must run out to drop coin on a bigger rock. This phenomenon amost happens to all of us, whether the stone is .02 carats or 5.5! Having DSS does not mean that the stone is no longer good enough for you and is definitely NOT a sign of materialism. It's just visual adjustment, that is all. Chill dude.

kemp707

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the different perspectives. I really value EVERYONES opinion on this. We each have a different perspective on things and that helps to work through potential problems or scenarios.

Lorelei - thanks for that link! Seeing that diamond on her hand helped a bit!

Researcher - thanks for the warning!!!! you''ve now made another question pop into my mind

Salmon - thanks for your perspective! however, im hesitant about going custom. i know what she would like. but ive been working incognito with a mutual friend of ours and she informed me of how they were trying on weddings rings (she just got married 2 weekends ago) and that she saw Pak''s (my girlfriend) face light up when she saw and tried on the Lucidia.

A few more questions......

1) "square modified brilliant cut" does that mean its not a princess cut?

2) What is a good crown/pavilion for a good quality princess diamond?

Thanks! Im so glad I found this message board!
35.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 11:17:47 AM
Author: kemp707

1) ''square modified brilliant cut'' does that mean its not a princess cut?
that is a princess cut.
2.gif

you won''t see ''princess cut'' on a grading report.

it depends on the depth/table.
2.gif

if you want the best of the best in princess cuts, you need to look at the ags graded ones. ags now grades princess cuts as ''ideal'' and gives a grade based on light performance.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope I''m not repeating what others have said, but this is my opinion on size. I think a 1-1.5 carat will look fantastic on a 6.5 figer. I have 4.5 and I would be very comfortable with a carat or slightly more. One thing I would suggest is to keep the diamond set lower. This will look more proportional, safer to wear, and less tacky in my opinion for a larger stone. I also think that larger stones look better without very very thick bands. Thick bands make the rings look too chunky and gaudy. The lucinda would be fine, lovely setting for a diamond this size.

Steve in Arizona

Rough_Rock
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A diamond engagement ring is a symbolic object and a object of artistic beauty. Only you and your girlfriend can determine what is the most important aspect of the symbolism of the ring and what will make it most beautiful as an object of art.

I see many lower quality large stones being worn and the few higher quality smaller stones are instantly recognized as being something special. I think it would be better for everyone if the entire diamond sellling and buying community suffered "diamond shinkage" , that is shinking away from producing and purchasing quantity instead of quality. I cannot even begin to tell you how happy my fiancee and I are that she has highest quality .81 round instead of an average 2.00 round. Her stone is a delightful combination of the subtle (size) and the spectacular (appearance). I don''t think you will ever regret making quality your first priority.

Steve

salmon

Shiny_Rock
KristyDarling,

Sorry if you were offended by my post. Maybe I was a little harsh. Researcher I extend my apologies to you as well. KristyDarling, I understand what DIAMOND SHRINKAGE is, I just happen to think it''s arbitrary and silly. I think it is nothing more than Greed and the need to want bigger and better. We suffer from all kinds of Shrinkage:

1. House Shrinkage: The Jone''s house is bigger we better get a bigger house.

2. SUV Shrinkage (Until gas prices shot the hell up!) We better get a hummer because John and his wife have one.

3. Wife Shrinkage: Oh, wow my wife is getting a little wrinkled I guess I better go for that young blonde around the corner.

4. Breast Shrinkage; My husband is looking at that blonde around the corner and I am a little wrinkled, I better get a boob job.

KristyDarling, I''m just sick and tired of all this Shrinkage! Sorry for being harsh, I could have stated my feelings with a little more Sensitivity. WHEN WILL WE EVER HAVE ENOUGH? Or at least share what we do have with others. Shrinkage is a sickness far bigger than diamond shrinkage. That was my point. Sorry if I offended anyone earlier. I truly value all of you guys on this board, I would be loss without you. KristyDarking, love your pics and you have responded to more than a few of my posts. Thank you.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Salmon. Your post was TOTALLY uncalled for. I am someone who LOVES my ring and would never trade it for another stone because I am too sentimental to do such a thing. As for being materialistic, yes, I guess following your definition I''m materialistic. What I meant by my comment is that I don''t put a big emphasis on material items. I am fortunate when it comes to the material things in my life, but they are not what''s important to me--not that I need to explain myself to you. But, I think there is a distinction between the people who "never have enough" and those who are satisfied with what they have in life. As for diamond shrinkage, KristyDarling summed it up perfectly
16.gif

It''s comments like yours that lead me to wonder why I bother to post on the forum. I''m entitled to my opinion just as you are to yours. Keep in mind that there are different strokes for different folks. My hubby did not break the bank buying my ring, and was not trying to prove something to anyone. In fact, my ring is understated in my circle of friends.

I''m tired of defending myself though. No one has said the diamond won''t be big enough for kemp''s girl. All we''ve said is that he should get a stone that fits HER, as well as him. Enough said.

researcher

Ideal_Rock

A few more questions......

1) ''square modified brilliant cut'' does that mean its not a princess cut?

Thanks! Im so glad I found this message board!
35.gif

To answer your questions, a "square modified brilliant" is a princess cut. Confusing, I know, but they''re one and the same.
1.gif
As for the crown/pavilion, it''s actually the combination of these angles that determines the cut. That being said, you''re usually okay with a 10% or higher crown and a pavilion around 60.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it was nice of you to apologize and clarify salmon. i know you didn''t mean any harm. hopefully kemp will find exactly what he is looking for and posts it here to share with us!

kemp707

Rough_Rock
Not to side track this message string.... but i thought it amazing that they had a cartoon picture that pretty much is my twin... except I have blue eyes.
emteeth.gif

<----- points to the picture to the left

You bet I will share pictures and fireworks!!! As soon as I get it in my hands and even more sharing once its on her hand!

Researcher - thanks much for clarifying what to look for!! I hope you continue posting here as it is people like you that help the rest of us "newbs" when it comes to finding the right stone.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
How funny that your avatar looks like you, and you didn''t even have to create a Yahoo one
9.gif

Thanks for the compliment, BTW. I am always happy to help with princess cuts as the wonderful people on PS helped me with my stone.

Now, have you seen these stones?

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1756580.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-2371020.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-2412599.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-2400338.htm

Just thought I''d make the decision harder!
9.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Listen to Researcher- she knows her stuff!
I had the privilege of meeting her last weekend, and seeing her BEAUTIFUL stone in person. It's absolutely breathtaking! (and she's such a sweetie!)

salmon

Shiny_Rock
Belle,

Thank you.

To researcher again, I apologize and I''m sorry if I caused you any personal anguish. I hope you do continue to post. Where would this country be if we didn''t have good spirted debates! That''s the beauty of Freedom of Speech. No matter how silly or ridiculous you sound, you still get the chance to express your feelings on any particular subject. Sometimes feeling are hurt, sometimes we''re forced to confront things or issues we would prefer not to think about. For me the price is worth our freedom to express our diverse opinions. And Again, I''m sorry if I offended anyone. Researcher, when you get you 5 or 8 carat ring, please post some pics, I''m sure all of us would like to see it. Thank you.

Honeyfly

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 3:29:15 AM
Belle,

Thank you.

To researcher again, I apologize and I''m sorry if I caused you any personal anguish. I hope you do continue to post. Where would this country be if we didn''t have good spirted debates! That''s the beauty of Freedom of Speech. No matter how silly or ridiculous you sound, you still get the chance to express your feelings on any particular subject. Sometimes feeling are hurt, sometimes we''re forced to confront things or issues we would prefer not to think about. For me the price is worth our freedom to express our diverse opinions. And Again, I''m sorry if I offended anyone. Researcher, when you get you 5 or 8 carat ring, please post some pics, I''m sure all of us would like to see it. Thank you.
salmon,

you must have SOMEHOW missed this in Researchers post above:

Wow, Salmon. Your post was TOTALLY uncalled for. I am someone who LOVES my ring and would never trade it for another stone because I am too sentimental to do such a thing. As for being materialistic, yes, I guess following your definition I''m materialistic. What I meant by my comment is that I don''t put a big emphasis on material items. I am fortunate when it comes to the material things in my life, but they are not what''s important to me--not that I need to explain myself to you. But, I think there is a distinction between the people who "never have enough" and those who are satisfied with what they have in life. As for diamond shrinkage, KristyDarling summed it up perfectly

whoops
19.gif
19.gif

salmon

Shiny_Rock
Honeyfly,

Thank you for pointing that out. However, I was referring to researcher''s 1st post on the thread where she states "I will probably purchase another ring between 5 and 8 carats" or something similar to that.. Sorry if I confused you with my previous comment. I would like to extend you an apology as well. I probably over reacted to your post as too. Have good day.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results