shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut AGS Ideal 0 Dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hhhockey

Rough_Rock
I''ve spent some time looking at the specific dimensions of diamonds that meet the AGS Ideal 0 qualifications. I ended up buying a diamond from whiteflash.com which is a certified AGS Ideal 0 for ~$5100. Some specs on this: 68.9% table, 5.47 X 5.40 X 4.05, G VS2, 1.017 carats. I brought this diamond to a local jeweler to have set and naturally, he tried to sell me a diamond that is comparable. His diamond is a D VS2 1.01 carats with a 62% table. The big advantages to his diamond are that it is a D color and is definitely a stronger VS2 (the one that I bought from whiteflash should probably be a SI1 because under 10X, it has an easily noticeable carbon spot right in the heart of the diamond). The two disadvantages to the diamond from the local jeweler are that first, he wants $750 more for it. Second, if you look at the attached picture (or go to http://diamonds.pricescope.com/agsideal.asp and look at the picture at the end) the pavilion 1 is much much smaller in his diamond, and therefore probably doesn''t qualify for an AGS Ideal 0 cut. My question is whether or not anyone thinks this has much of an effect on light performance. When I put the two diamonds side by side, I couldn''t notice that much of a difference other than the D color was obviously cleaner and possibly let light through slightly better (meaning that the G color tended to dull the light a little bit). Also, he was really pushing that the 62% table was just exceptional. What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance,

Adam

crown_pavilion_defs.jpg

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''d consider overnighting yourself an ASET viewer, to make a more informed comparison.

Generally, unless your local guy''s option is also AGS0, despite your own comparisons, I''d just ignore his. But, with an ASET in hand, it would allow you to make a more studied comparison.

Another option...if you''re local to a savvy indy appraiser (don''t waste your time if they don''t know from aset) you could get their help for analysis. Maybe I''m too much a pushover for not trusting yourself in the constrained conditions you''ll be making your comparisons in...but I can live with that.

If his is also AGS0, too, never mind, and compare away Call me superstitious.

Just my 2 cents.

hhhockey

Rough_Rock
Thanks a bunch for the reply Ira, definitely appreciate the help. I''m leaning towards what you said about unless his is an AGS0 (which it isn''t because it has a GIA cert and even if he did submit it to AGS, I don''t think it would be an AGS0 because that pavilion 1 is so small) I should just stick with what I have. I didn''t know that you could overnight an ASET viewer. How much does that cost? Is it essentially just a rental? I''ve attached the ASET from the AGS0 diamond that I have because whiteflash did provide me with this. From what I''ve read so far, it does seem like this ASET looks pretty good, but I''d definitely appreciate a second opinion.

So you''re saying that it''s kind of hard to make a call on the pavilion 1''s impact on light performance as well as a 62% table vs. a 69% table?

Also, sorry for being a newbie, but I''m not too familiar with what you mean by "savvy indy appraiser".

Thanks a bunch for your info. It definitely helps!!

Adam

ASET_548723.jpg

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a nice ASET picture, I believe.

See here for picking up an aset, yourself.

Or, call Dave Atlas in Phily (a better idea for speed...you''re on the clock for returning your WF option, right?)

Find info on reaching Dave here...also upper right under Resources...at appraisers.

And...re Ind(ependant) appraisers...depending on where you are, look at the list there, to see who''s near you, and read up on what cut grading resources they employ for their work.

BTW...unless you''re an expert...I wouldn''t try to second guess how to get an AGS0 grade, regardless of what you''re being told.

See here for example...

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results