shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing for Tiffany Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mls21

Rough_Rock
I''ve seen a lot of talk about them, and I know they''re much more expensive than similar diamonds from other vendors. But I love the etoile setting, and even similar ones (like on whiteflash.com) aren''t the same for me. Plus, the name is a big draw for me (as is the confidence of getting a good stone from them). And for a purchase like this I''d have to do it in person.

Anywho, I haven''t been able to find what I can afford in terms of diamond (size, clarity levels, etc). I''m looking at around an $8-9K budget (could go a little higher), and I know the setting will run about $1500 or so. Any ideas on what kind of diamond I can get for this amount from Tiffany.

Thanks!!

bfready

Rough_Rock
You can call Tiffany and ask pricing over the phone.

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
Have you checked out the Tiffany items at signedpieces.com? That would give you a feel for *some* of the price points ... like this one:

http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=5626

I love the Tiffany name as well, their pieces are classic and gorgeous. That said, my personal opinion is that you can do just as well with an ideal cut diamond through someone like Whiteflash, Quest or James Allen. The above ring is $15000 for a preowned 1.53 carat diamond with a nice setting. It was originally $22,000. If nothing but Tiffany will work for the setting, maybe you could get the diamond through Whiteflash and then the setting preowned or estate (I have seen several Tiffany mountings being resold on Ebay).

As for buying in person, we had the same thoughts. Between the no obligation viewing/exchange period & having the stone independently appraised by Martin Fuller ... our concerns were put to rest. Having someone like Martin Fuller tell you that your diamond is one of the best he has seen really puts your fears to rest! We bought our stone from Quest (and would do it again), but Whiteflash also has an extremely good name, not just on Pricescope. Do a little Google search on them and see what you come up with. Here is Martin Fuller''s website http://www.martinfullerassociates.com/pages/545241/index.htm

Anyhow, it''s a very personal decision. Our choices led us to spend 50% less and purchase through one of the very well respected vendors here on Pricescope. I get compliments every day on my ring, but especially on the diamond ... which has been described by others as "amazing, firey, brilliant, sparkly, never seen a diamond like that one", etc. I hope you find just what you are looking for
35.gif

mls21

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. And I appreciate the input and have done some research. But I still am iffy about buying online. Not necessarily about getting screwed on a deal or something. But I would like to see and hold the ring before spending that much on something.

And add to that, I haven''t see an etoile-style ring that comes close (in my opinion) of the Tiffany original. Plus, it''s worth extra for me to get that name.

Also, with the etoile design, any ideas on the clarity, color, etc that I should be looking for? I know with certain settings imperfections are more noticable.

Thanks!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany only sells colour D - I and clarity FL - VS2. A VS2 diamond would have no imperfections visible to the naked eye in normal viewing conditions.

mls21

Rough_Rock
Bump.

Just seeing if there was any more input. Just looking for a few ideas on what a diamond would cost, and what I could expect to get on that budget.

Thanks!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 12:53:57 PM
Author: mls21
Bump.

Just seeing if there was any more input. Just looking for a few ideas on what a diamond would cost, and what I could expect to get on that budget.

Thanks!

I really think you should just go into a Tiffany store, or call them on the phone, and say you want to know what the biggest F/G VS2 stone you could afford for your budget. They will be able to help you much more

Personally, I don''t think $7000 will get you too far at Tiffany''s, but size might not be that much of an issue for you.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 1:27:09 PM
Author: boston_jeff
Date: 4/27/2007 12:53:57 PM

Author: mls21

Bump.

Thanks!

I really think you should just go into a Tiffany store, or call them on the phone, and say you want to know what the biggest F/G VS2 stone you could afford for your budget. They will be able to help you much more

Personally, I don't think $7000 will get you too far at Tiffany's, but size might not be that much of an issue for you.

If the etoile diamonds and settings are like any of the other things in their store you will get maaaaybe a 1/2 carat with that amount of $ depending on the specs. But I believe their 1 carats are generally starting around $12,000?

ETA: Yes, just call them. They will be happy to give you a price range over the phone.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiffany prices are very expensive and in my opinion diamonds from top vendors here such as Whiteflash, jamesallen, goodoldgold, etc. out perform them. I have first hand experience with this bringing in my wedding band from whiteflash and comparing it to tiffany''s bands.

Also, the etoile setting really is simple enough to have a really nice reproduction made from a trusted vendor.

If you are set on buying at tiffany''s...your budget will probably get you a .6 to .8 carat stone. I remember that a lower color/clarity 1 carat in the plain solitaire setting ran about 12k...so that''s my guess. Your budget would easily get you a 1.2 carat stone in a platinum reproduction from some of the trusted pricescope vendors to give you an idea of how much you would be over paying.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can email them and they''ll email you back the prices-thats what I did last month

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Question:

Anyone knows what Diamond Shape comands the largest premium at T&Co?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 6:10:36 PM
Author: DiaGem
Question:

That''s actually a great question. I would *guess* one of their branded cuts, but to be honest, I have never seen a breakdown of what the setting costs vs. what the diamond costs. They all just seem equally expensive to me!
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 6:10:36 PM
Question:

RB?

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Was in Tiffany''s today looking at the etoile- a .20 DVVS2 was $1876 and the .5 I was shown forget colour/clarity ran $8000 Lovely but still...
1.gif

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
FYI: I have a friend who works for Tiffany, and he told me they give a one-time, first time customer, 50% discount on engagement rings. If you ask about it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2007 4:20:36 PM
Author: waterlilly
FYI: I have a friend who works for Tiffany, and he told me they give a one-time, first time customer, 50% discount on engagement rings. If you ask about it.
Seriously???!!! Do you have any more details about this??

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2007 4:58:10 PM
Author: kcoursolle

?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don''t mean to call your friend a liar, waterlilly, but...I''m pretty sure this is 100% not true!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/29/2007 5:16:37 PM
Author: Pyramid

?
?x10

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2007 5:38:41 PM

Date: 4/29/2007 5:16:37 PM
Author: Pyramid

?
?x10
? x20, never heard of this.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

No offense, but unless this is a top secret need the password type thing only for royalty...It seems waaaaay too odd to be true.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

which tiffany does your friend work at b/c if he/she is giving 50% off on e-rings I''m so there.

seriously, I would be VERY surprised if this were true, I just can''t see Tiffany discounting that much and hurting the reputation that have tried so hard to earn and keep. But if they are I want to know..lol...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mls21- the best thing to do is just to go to tiffany''s and see what your $ can buy.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DiaGem,
What''s the anser to your question about the cut with the highest premium?!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the late reply! I swear this is what he told me, just last weekend! I was with a group of friends, and overheard him tell one of my girlfriends this, and I interrupted him and said "really?!" and he said yes, a one-time, first time purchase 50% discount, but you have to ask. However, since no one here has ever heard of it...I wonder if perhaps he could have been talking about himself as an employee, employees maybe can get this discount if the first item they buy is their engagement ring? He works at the Boston store. If you just call and ask, wonder if they'll tell?
I'll ask him and get back to you !

honolulu93

Rough_Rock
Boston as in Copley? Very interested in what he says!

FLY6584

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 7:53:51 PM
Sorry for the late reply! I swear this is what he told me, just last weekend! I was with a group of friends, and overheard him tell one of my girlfriends this, and I interrupted him and said ''really?!'' and he said yes, a one-time, first time purchase 50% discount, but you have to ask. However, since no one here has ever heard of it...I wonder if perhaps he could have been talking about himself as an employee, employees maybe can get this discount if the first item they buy is their engagement ring? He works at the Boston store. If you just call and ask, wonder if they''ll tell?
I''ll ask him and get back to you !
I am very interested to know more about this even though I know it''s a one in a million chance of being true. I am purchasing a Tiffany''s engagement ring tomorrow and 50% off would be VERY nice! I know I''m dreaming though.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whoops, my bad. wrong OP.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 11:50:32 PM
Author: FLY6584

Sorry for the late reply! I swear this is what he told me, just last weekend! I was with a group of friends, and overheard him tell one of my girlfriends this, and I interrupted him and said ''really?!'' and he said yes, a one-time, first time purchase 50% discount, but you have to ask. However, since no one here has ever heard of it...I wonder if perhaps he could have been talking about himself as an employee, employees maybe can get this discount if the first item they buy is their engagement ring? He works at the Boston store. If you just call and ask, wonder if they''ll tell?

I am very interested to know more about this even though I know it''s a one in a million chance of being true. I am purchasing a Tiffany''s engagement ring tomorrow and 50% off would be VERY nice! I know I''m dreaming though.

Well according to waterlilly, all you have to do is ASK! So ask for us tomorrow and see what they say! Full report expected and best of luck with your purchase!

FLY6584

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 11:52:00 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 4/30/2007 11:50:32 PM
Author: FLY6584

Well according to waterlilly, all you have to do is ASK! So ask for us tomorrow and see what they say! Full report expected and best of luck with your purchase!
I definitely plan on asking, but I have a feeling they are going to laugh at me. I already tried negotiating the price because they didn''t have the exact stone I was looking for in a .95-.99, but they did have it in a 1.00 ($2500 increase for being a full carat). I asked them if they could work a little on the price because of the circumstances and I was told Tiffanys hasn''t negotiated a price in 169 years and they aren''t going to start now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results