shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricescopers I need your assistance finding a great emerald.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
All the Russian material I’ve seen looks like tourmaline to me, albeit very nice tourmaline!

Here’s a beautiful Ethiopian emerald for the OP to view. It could definitely pass for Chivor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4BWN3HfL_/?igshid=sq1mtbysleyn

Not all Muzo will have that metallic sheen, but here’s a typical fine Muzo stone. They’re darker and a very intense green, but less blue than other locales. Of course. Some people prefer lighter emeralds, but for me, this is my personal favorite location. Not all Muzo will be this clean and fine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0T1WjwD12J/?igshid=hrbw1lzes9yk

I cannot find any Afghan cut gem material to link to from instagram, but perhaps someone wants to. I think it’s probably helpful for the OP to see examples from various locations so that she can make up her mind.
This was exactly what I was looking for. It helps to actually see the different types of emerald from the different mines.

Reactions: T L

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Panjshir emerald in a small size. Its brilliance more than makes up for the lesser Muzo glow, and I'd say there is more metallic sheen than my Muzo clean emeralds of similar but smaller size. I couldn't mistake my Panjshir emerald for Chivor at all since it's very vibrant deep green. Russian material is probably more like Chivor but with less blue.

Likely there is a range of possibilities in Afghanistan emeralds, and we just haven't seen enough to know the finer specimens that are there. Muzo stones have been in museums for decades.
I would really appreciate it if you could send me some pictures. Thank you

voce

Ideal_Rock
I would really appreciate it if you could send me some pictures. Thank you
IMG_20190710_215030378.jpg
IMG_20190710_215056464.jpg
Emeralds are notoriously difficult to photograph. To my eyes irl, the color is more like the first picture, but the brilliance is much, much more than the second picture. I think with the second picture I was trying to capture the "sheen".

I don't have the stone with me (in a safe at another location), but maybe I can try with a digital camera instead of a zoomed in phone camera this weekend.

Enhoerning Jewelry/Inken Krause sourced me the emerald. She has good knowledge of emeralds and has my highest recommendation.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The best emerald I have seen in the last few years is Panjshir. I also own her. I saw she was not Colombian or African but even many dealers were thrown off and thought Colombian. Considering her age and inclusions I guessed Russian maybe and I was close since it is the region, the mine was owned by the Soviets at one point. The saturation of color, the fire and clarity are out of this world. Very rare to see something similar today even from Colombia. I love a great emerald!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was the best emerald I saw in a long time in person, and I was just at the Smithsonian to compare. I hate their weird lighting, so I liked this one better. It’s in a glass top box in a glass case, so photo isn’t the best. Photos don’t do these justice.

I don’t know the origin 7E7B5FCB-1B44-4E82-A255-F715B0927168.jpeg 7E7B5FCB-1B44-4E82-A255-F715B0927168.jpeg

Attachments

• 758EBAF9-4C11-4823-B8B7-21FBC68F306C.jpeg
    758EBAF9-4C11-4823-B8B7-21FBC68F306C.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 26

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They are absolutely horrible photo subjects. You can just never capture their beauty, color, glow ... @T L that one looks awesome and soooo clean!!! When you see one that looks this good on photo, you know it is to die for IRL. Also inclusions on photo look absolutely horrendous usually.

I don’t know what it is but every year around this time I get the emerald lust. It is sheer madness... the last thing I need is more projects. But then who needs bling? We just want it

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are absolutely horrible photo subjects. You can just never capture their beauty, color, glow ... @T L that one looks awesome and soooo clean!!! When you see one that looks this good on photo, you know it is to die for IRL. Also inclusions on photo look absolutely horrendous usually.

I don’t know what it is but every year around this time I get the emerald lust. It is sheer madness... the last thing I need is more projects. But then who needs bling? We just want it
The problem with photos is that you never see that velvety metallic sheen and glow with the finest emeralds. For example, I was at Tiffany & Co and they had this $30k + ring with a 1.5 carat emerald. It had no velvety glow. It was a clean and dark green emerald but it looked flat. It was very unattractive IMO, but you could barely see much difference in a photo between this stone and the one I posted above. 9426E877-2F5C-4395-9B3F-7ED2C388BEDF.png

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, that’s one thing. This morning I was able to get one or two of mine where you can actually see some of that lush deep glow but 99 % of the time it just comes out dead looking. Secondly, the color is never right on photo. Of course you cannot see the saturation of color on photo and the hues and tones are dead wrong too. I was shocked when I tried years ago, was sweating blood and nothing came out right or even close.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that’s one thing. This morning I was able to get one or two of mine where you can actually see some of that lush deep glow but 99 % of the time it just comes out dead looking. Secondly, the color is never right on photo. Of course you cannot see the saturation of color on photo and the hues and tones are dead wrong too. I was shocked when I tried years ago, was sweating blood and nothing came out right or even close.
Instagram videos are much better at capturing that extra dimensionality. You could check out dealers with Instagram accounts.

Here’s an example, but I’m sure it’s much nicer in person.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yeah thanks! That’s where I hang out all the time:))) IG is work and PS is fun for me. I was just talking about my no luck, videos are not any better for me usually. That is a nice stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results