shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricescopers I need your assistance finding a great emerald.

Discussion in 'Colored Gemstones' started by Ceilimom, Aug 13, 2019 at 4:15 PM.

1. Ceilimom
    Rough_Rock

by Ceilimom » Aug 13, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    Our grand daughter was born at the end of May. I would like to create an Emerald pendant, something she'll have as she grows up. I don't want to go above .35 carat in weight for the Emerald. I have no idea who/where to buy this type of gemstone from or what to look for and what to avoid in Emeralds. I am not opposed to a vintage piece.A suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so very much.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 4:45 PM

2. Ceilimom
    Rough_Rock

by Ceilimom » Aug 13, 2019 at 4:22 PM

3. StephanieLynn
    Ideal_Rock

by StephanieLynn » Aug 13, 2019 at 4:27 PM
    I reported this post to have it moved to colored stones, you'll get more eyes on it over there and they can help you find a wonderful emerald for your project =)2

4. Ceilimom
    Rough_Rock

by Ceilimom » Aug 13, 2019 at 4:47 PM
    Stephanie thank you:love:

StephanieLynn likes this.

5. cokitty
    Brilliant_Rock

by cokitty » Aug 13, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    @Cellimom what size do you want for the stone. As with diamonds the shape can impact the size big time, do you have a budget?
    I did a quick look around at my usual vendors and didn't see anything under .5cts.

6. Ceilimom
    Rough_Rock

by Ceilimom » Aug 13, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    My first choice would be a square/ cushion
    ( hope that's an actual shape). I was looking at .35 carat. If you could give me the dimension of a .50 carat ( cut) it would help me visualize the stone. Thank you for reaching out to me cokitty.
    As for a budget, I need to see what I am looking at and what is a reasonable price range for specific hue,colors, grade.

7. distracts
    Ideal_Rock

by distracts » Aug 13, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    Emeralds are less dense for their weight than diamonds so .35 ct will be larger than it would be in a similar diamond cut. With colored stones, cut proportions/face-up size vary a LOT more than for diamonds. So we can’t really give you a range a stone that size is likely to be because it’s so nonstandard.

Yvonne Raley (Cecile Raley Designs on Etsy) recently got back from Columbia with a bunch of great emeralds, including multiple smaller ones that would be suitable. I’d message her. Emeralds are very hard to photograph so I’d rely more on the vendor’s description than the pictures. Mastercut Gems has a number of emeralds, and I think Emerald Embassy (Embassy Emeralds? Something like that?) is another PSers have gotten emeralds from.

voce likes this.
  8. whitewave
    Ideal_Rock

by whitewave » Aug 13, 2019 at 5:54 PM
    I would email Inken and see if she has anything or has a contact.

[email protected]

She was able to get me an emerald at the past gem
    show.

Also look at wildfish gems.

voce likes this.
  9. whitewave
    Ideal_Rock

voce likes this.
  10. T L
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by T L » Aug 14, 2019 at 10:16 AM
    It depends on your budget, and how much treatment you’re willing to tolerate. You want a “great” emerald, but does that mean eye clean, top color, no treatment? If so, you may want to go with a dealer that specializes in just emerald, otherwise some of the other vendors mentioned here might be able to help.

The nice thing is that an emerald doesn’t have to be top color to be beautiful, but I would concentrate on a cleaner stone with minimal treatment. It will last longer and not lose its clean appearance over time. At least you’re looking for a sub half carat stone, where a cleaner gem might be more readily available.

DauphineMucha and Ceilimom like this.

11. Ceilimom
    Rough_Rock

by Ceilimom » Aug 14, 2019 at 10:48 PM
    TL you ask some very good questions and make some helpful points. I think I need to do more studying on Emeralds, characteristics, treatments etc.
    I would like a bright green stone with blue tones not terribly included. I would consider a cabochon stone too. I haven't seen anything so far that I really like, but I've just started looking. As far as price I don't know where prices fall for an Emerald like you described. This is why I reached out to this community for suggestions,help and contacts, which I greatly appreciate.
    Riley will be 12 weeks old on Saturday, I am hoping I'll be able to get this gift pulled together before she is 6 months old. Fingers crossed.

T L likes this.