color
clarity

Pricescope Presidential Poll

Who will you vote for in the 2004 Presidential Election

• Ralph Nader (Independent)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Senator John F. Kerry

• Third Party (Libertarian, Green, Constitution, etc)

• I don''t plan on voting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Isn't Jim Lehrer related to Tom Lehrer, acerbic liberal folksinger from the 60's?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/26/2004 4:28:49 PM rodentman wrote:

Isn't Jim Lehrer related to Tom Lehrer, acerbic liberal olksinger from the 60's?----------------

I wouldn't know anything about that. Before my time. But, I did learn the correct spelling of J.L.'s name.
21.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Jen,

I read the linked article looking for facts supporting your view that we trained the "attack dog". It had opinion and implied cause but gave no supporting facts (classified?). Clearly you are still confusing coincidence and cause.

Coincidence: the fact or condition of happening at the same time or place or being identical

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Cause: something that or somebody who makes something happen or exist or is responsible for a certain result

It was coincidence that Bin Laden was fighting for the Mujahdeen when the US was supporting their effort.

We did not cause him to be there.

He would have been there regardless of US involvment.

He would have learned the same fighting skills regardless of US involvement

We did not support him or his camps under the Taliban

We did not train him how to attack the WTC or Navy boat with bombs

We did not train him how hijack planes with box cutters

I respect people voting for Kerry based on abortion, gay rights, etc. but not when they must create false conspiracy or rewrite history (propoganda). You don't need to bend the facts to justify your vote for Kerry when there are so many differences on real issues.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/26/2004 4:26:53 PM fire&ice wrote:

----------------
On 10/26/2004 2:29:32 PM jenwill wrote:

And what in the world does liking the candidates wives have to do with their ability to run the country?

----------------

Someone's choice of mates & the way such mate handles themselves in public shows quite a bit. Hiring executives always involves meeting their spouse. And, is *very* telling to the issue of enabling & support of the *ability* for a man to do their job. First ladies are powerful ambassadors of this country. One doesn't have to go past Jackie O to know that. And, from all interviews, sources, etc., I find T.H. to be crass and out of touch. I'm not talking sound bites or phrases taken out of context. All of these ladies have been way more available to the press than in the past. My opinion comes from lots of exposure. When I'm on the fence about something, I tend to look at the whole & not just the individual or one individual thing. I know when making decisions in my husband career; I am *always* consulted & things are bounced off of me. Same with my friends. One only has to read the Pres. biographies to know it translates to the oval office. So, I hope I answered your rather dismissive 'what in the world liking their spouses have anything to do....'

People make judgements everyday based on people's perfomance, demeanor & candor.

The media always has a spin. Everyone always has an agenda. You quoted PBS as *the* word. It's not. It's just one source. Not *the* source. And, some I trust more than others. Quite frankly, I form most of my opinions at balance round table discussions, such as on Jim Lehr's show.

Edited to add: BTW, I said *respect* not like. Completely different sentiments. ----------------

Oh for goodness sakes.

I work for a very large multi-national conglomerate, and hiring of executives does not *always include meeting their spouses*. Some do, some don't.

Yes, a spouse can shed some light onto some aspects of their partner, but not all business decisions are run by the spouse at the end of the day. I agree- if my FH was going to quit his job, make a position change, or is having trouble with a co-worker I would hear about it. But, if he was deciding which bonds to invest in for his bank, or dealing with posting results for their listing on the stock exchange- he is not going to come to me with those. I know nothing about them, would be of no help- he could bounce those things right off of my head, wouldn't make a hill of beans difference.

I do know that the spouses are *ambassadors* of a sort. But I also believe that T. Heinz, as much as you dislike her, has as much ability to be a good ambasssador as the others. She is a board member of a large corporation and charitable fund- an dhas dealt with high level political figures in both her public and private lives. She was raised internationally and speaks several languages, and has seemed to hold her own through marriage to 2 powerful public officials, and raised well adjusted children.

I am sorry you thought I was dismissive with my remark, but perhaps that was in reaction to your seeming dismissiveness of someone you have never met, only seen through the media machine that you openly state shows us not the whole picture, as *common, with very little class*. That was dismissive. And not based on a balanced round table discussion interview.

I did not say that PBS was *the word*, I merely said that I was not bending any statements- that those had come directly from another source. I did not say THE source.

Thank you for showing me that because I hold a different viewpoint than you, formed from different exposures, that I am a misinformed, misguided, and my views are incorrect.

I will quit posting them now, so as not to rock the boat,

Instead I think I will try to do something constructive and get out to 'rock the vote'

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
OK yuou posted while i was posting, so this really, truly wil be my last post. Figured I had to answer since it was addressed to me.

Thank you for giving me the definitions of those words. Very helpful.

It was coincidence that Bin Laden was fighting for the Mujahdeen when the US was supporting their effort.

- never said it wasn't.

We did not cause him to be there.

Never said we did.

He would have been there regardless of US involvment.

Yep, again, never said he wouldn't.

He would have learned the same fighting skills regardless of US involvement

I disagree- but in any case- not an example of coincidence or cause. Learning skills = effect, not cause. The effect of the US involvement with the ISI (Pakistani Intelligence ) was that whoever was there (coincidentally) learned skills and methods that were proferred by the CIA to help get the Soviets out of Afghanistan. It was coincidental that bin Laden was there, but one of the effects of our involvement was that he was exposed to knowledge of warfare that we gave them.

We did not support him or his camps under the Taliban

Never said we did- said we helped rebel fighters get started- NEVER said we continued to support them .

We did not train him how to attack the WTC or Navy boat with bombs

Nope, but again one of the effects of training someone how to vanquish a large and powerful enemy is to open them to the view that they can vanquish another one.

We did not train him how hijack planes with box cutters

Nope, again, never said we bought them box cutters, or gave them specific box cutter instructions- said that we trained basically unorganized fighting groups in ways of warfare that previously they had not been exposed to.

Have never said the US government caused them to attack us, said simply that our involvement during the formation of these powerful rebel groups may have lead to their ability to form a more cohesive enemy, with a willingness to employ strategies out of the norm- because we showed them what that could accomplish.

By the way, I do oppose Bush's stance on abortion rights, gay marriage, stem cell research, budget deficit, and many many other topics.

But I am just a wacky left coast liberal tree hugger.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/26/2004 4:03:40 PM Nicrez wrote:

As for the Saudi discussions of their way-ward culture, I am not Saudi, nor do I know many Saudis, but I have to say that this post wreaked of intolerance and disrespect. I have no patience for people (of any religion or culture) who wish to harm anyone or have an intolerant attitude toward anyone else.

I respect a person's culture, whether I agree with it or not....

That would be I to whom you are referring. I am sorry that you feel I am intolerant, but I think I am just more honest than many people. As Camus had one of his characters say in "L'étranger", "Tout le monde juge" (everyone judges).

I do not respect all other cultures. If one reads "The Mountain People" and "The Forest People" by Colin Turnbull, one sees enormous cruelty in the former and enormous generosity in the latter culture. Of course anthropologists approach the subject matter dispassionately but you-in your impassioned plea for tolerance-show how subjective are your OWN values! You can be tolerant of fundamentalist Muslims (who judge everybody) but not of Americans (like me) who judge fundamentalist Muslims!

Anthropologists have it right: ethnocentrism is the UNIVERSAL belief that one's own way of life is the right and natural way. You are just as ethnocentric as I am.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ethnoconcentric people can run circles around themselves.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/26/2004 5:35:59 PM jenwill wrote:

----------------

Instead I think I will try to do something constructive and get out to 'rock the vote'
----------------

jenwill,

I hope you can do the vote by day and the thread by night because I would miss your voice here if you really left. I believe that discussion, if at least somewhat rational, can be enlightening. I had not even heard the accusations that John Kerry had left the navy in an unusual manner until I participated in this thread. (I later investigated it on my own and find the reasoning behind it specious, but at least I learned about it by reading the comments of others here.)

Deb

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/27/2004 6:55:50 AM AGBF wrote:

----------------
On 10/26/2004 5:35:59 PM jenwill wrote:

----------------

----------------

jenwill,

I hope you can do the vote by day and the thread by night because I would miss your voice here if you really left. I believe that discussion, if at least somewhat rational, can be enlightening. ----------------

It's not rocking the boat. I haven't heard anything but the party line.

And, I wonder if the disconnect lies in the fact that many have not "been through this experience/discussion before" (insert discussion). Our foreign policy (regardless what party was in office) has always been "the enemy of our enemy is our friend." I'm not advocating it - just pointing it out as to why we aligned w/ the Afghan rebels. It's no big new scandal. Especially when the Soviet Union was involved. It's come back to bite us on the butt more times than this. But, the creation of Al Q. is much more complicated than giving them some guns. Much of which we have no blame except *someone* should have been more on top of it. Goes to issue of Intelligence (gathering, reading, comprehending & reporting). But, I would venture a guess that we have more Russian translators than Arabic translators.

To issue of T.Heinz's experience: both of us are on the board of trustee's of separate charitible organization/insitition. Our experience has shown us that many people are on the board in name only. So, just because they list your name & you speak about it once in a while, doesn't translate to active participant. Believe me, there's a lot of praise and glory for the non participants, especially when said "name only" carry's some weight. And, positions can be bought. It's the nature of the beast. In all fairness, I don't have any direct experience w/ her (T.H.) involvement. But, I can form an opinion based on several appearances/interviews. And, maintain my opinion about T. Heinz.

To issue of my sentiment about the wives being a factor in my decision: Correct - "always" was too strong a statement about meeting the wives before hiring. But, it is a standard practice when it can be arranged. And, it can be very telling. While my hubby doesn't discuss daily operations with me, he does discuss direction of his company. He discusses the hiring of individuals. He discusses the finances of the company. He discusses some ethical issues. He discuses challenging situations. None of which directly affect our lives. I don't think we are in the minority of couples.

Something important to point out for those of you that pull a straight ticket. 9 states have a separate lever for voting for President. So, don't overlook that. Not that I'm a straight ticket voter. But, I know several very informed very intelligent people who do. It's a voting pattern I could never understand. And, maybe I'm slow; but, I just learned that N.C. is one such state. When we lived there, one could vote straight ticket.

It's amazing how polorized this country is.

Heck, I may write in Rudy G.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock

Subject: CREATION!!!/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Once upon a time, God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael, the /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]archangel/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img], found him, resting on the seventh day.

He inquired of God. "Where have you been?"/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction, and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look, Michael. Look what I've made." Archangel Michael looked puzzled, and said, "What is it?"/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

"It's a planet," replied God, "and I've put Life on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance." "Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

God explained, pointing to different parts of earth. "For example, northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]southern europe/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img] is going to be poor. over there i've placed a continent of white people, and over there is a continent of black people. balance in all things," god continued pointing to different countries. "this one will be extremely hot, while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

The /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]archangel/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img], impressed by god's work, then pointed to a land area and said, "what's that one?"/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

"Ah," said God. Washington State/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img], the most glorious place on earth. there are beautiful mountains, rivers and streams, lakes, forests, hills, plains, and coulees. the people from /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img] State /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]are going to be handsome, modest, intelligent, and humorous, and they are going to be found traveling the world. they will be extremely sociable, hardworking, high achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats, and carriers of peace."/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then proclaimed, "What about balance, God? You said there would be balance."/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

God smiled, "There is another /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]washington/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]...wait until you see the idiots I put there."/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Funny Cowboy.

But, I may add there exists some balance even in DC. For the most part it's a beautiful city.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 10/21/2004 5:10:03 PM jenwill wrote:

Yep- gonna be close!----------------

The closer it gets, the more I think it won't be that close. I think Bush will take at least 310 EVs and have at least solid 3% margin in the popular vote.

Goldengirl: I'm still undecided. I'm in a bit of a pickle. I don't believe Kerry has what it takes to handle the situation in Iraq...BUT, on the moral values front, Kerry's got my vote. I'm anti-Bush on the abortion, stem cell AND gay marraige fronts.

I think the number one job of a president is national security. It's the number one job of any government and when you think about it, it's the main reason to have a government at all. The other things like social laws are really secondary. I don't think the status quo on some social issues will change too much in the next 4 years. Gays wouldn't be married or their won't be an amendment against it, no matter who is elected. Abortion will still be legal. I've even heard pro-lifers say that even if the candidates had reversed stances on abortion, they'd still vote for Bush.

Update: I also think that people and the press will be left wondering why polling data seemed to make it so close but it turned out to be wider than expected. I think Bush will get 51% of the popular vote. Kerry will have about 47.5%, Ralphie will get 1% and the other 3rd party will total about 0.5% I think less people will be inclined to vote 3rd party in this election. I think the best thing Kerry has going for him is that he is "not George Bush" but I think that will only carry Kerry so far.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/27/2004 4:46:10 PM chris-uk04 wrote:

----------------
On 10/21/2004 5:10:03 PM jenwill wrote:

Yep- gonna be close!----------------

The closer it gets, the more I think it won't be that close. I think Bush will take at least 310 EVs and have at least solid 2% margin in the popular vote.

----------------

You know. I tend to agree with you. Goldengirl's voice is very quiet, but it sure does resonate w/ many voters. In a time of challenge globablly, people's nature isn't to change leadership.

But, I think the wild card is going to be the new registered voters. My guess is that many of them are young. Youth tends to vote more liberal than conservative. So, I'm still betting that all bets are off.

Twice, they have tried to make partial birth abortions illegal in my State. Although past as State law, it has been overturned rather poste haste by the Supreme Court. I do like to align myself w/ someone who does believe in women's reproductive rights. But, I'm not concerned about Roe v Wade's overturn.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/26/2004 7:18:54 PM AGBF wrote:

----------------
On 10/26/2004 4:03:40 PM Nicrez wrote:

As for the Saudi discussions of their way-ward culture, I am not Saudi, nor do I know many Saudis, but I have to say that this post wreaked of intolerance and disrespect. I have no patience for people (of any religion or culture) who wish to harm anyone or have an intolerant attitude toward anyone else.

I respect a person's culture, whether I agree with it or not....

That would be I to whom you are referring. I am sorry that you feel I am intolerant, but I think I am just more honest than many people. As Camus had one of his characters say in 'L'étranger', 'Tout le monde juge' (everyone judges).

I do not respect all other cultures. If one reads 'The Mountain People' and 'The Forest People' by Colin Turnbull, one sees enormous cruelty in the former and enormous generosity in the latter culture. Of course anthropologists approach the subject matter dispassionately but you-in your impassioned plea for tolerance-show how subjective are your OWN values! You can be tolerant of fundamentalist Muslims (who judge everybody) but not of Americans (like me) who judge fundamentalist Muslims!

Anthropologists have it right: ethnocentrism is the UNIVERSAL belief that one's own way of life is the right and natural way. You are just as ethnocentric as I am.

----------------

1) Honesty implies truth, I see no truth in your statements. Truth can not come from your statements as you know nothing of the Saudi culture compared to your own, unless you have lived within that society for a lengthy amount of time.

2) You can quote Camus, Kierkegaard and Buber all day long, but existentialism and reading a lot of sociology makes you no more of an expert in culture and societies than a libararian is a doctor.

3) I made no mention of Fundamentalists, I don't comment on them, as I have nothing nice to say. I feel no love nor hate toward a person I have never met or seen with my own eyes. If there is one that judges me, let that be upon him, and I will sleep just fine. I believe that kharma balances out.

4) You missed an important part of the word "ethnocentrism"..."ethno". Which obviously links a person's belief that their ethnicity is above others.

eth·no·cen·trism (thn-sntrzm)
n.

The tendency to evaluate other groups according to the values and standards of one's own ethnic group, especially with the conviction that one's own ethnic group is superior to the other groups.​

Way of life is not an ethnicity, it may be part, but it is not the WHOLE of it. I think ethnocentric is your way of saying you believe your race to be superior to others, and frankly, that just makes you a biggot, albeit a well read one.

5) As a matter of fact we all have opinions, (just like we all have mouths), but the difference between many people who express their opinion and those who IMPRESS their opinion is the strength at which they do so, and the ability they may (or may not) have for tolerance and understanding of any other view point.

I don't condone or condemn anyone's actions, I am not the final judge, I have no weight in such matters. Many would say that those who look down upon others are merely looking to build themselves up higher. But if you feel the need, do so, it's a free country.

I am just sort of saddened that people can be well read, ignorant of other cultures and still have such strong opinions about them....

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
I'm with AGBF on this one. In no way what so ever do I respect all cultures.

Respect: a feeling or attitude of admiration and deference toward somebody or something

I've visited approx 19 countries with diverse cultures and feel in most cases I grew to understand their cultures. However, the difference between understanding and respecting is sometimes very wide.

A good analogy would be how we react on a personal basis. Some people act in ways we consider rude (see the "is that ring CZ?" posts). I may grow to understand why someone is rude in my opinion (bad parenting or just a different culture) but I will not respect it.

I understand why the Japanese & Germans invaded their neighbors during WW2 but I'm glad we didn't condone or respect their actions.

I understand why the Saudis have a Monarchy and a male dominated society with limited eqality for women, but I don't respect it. At my core, I believe in and respect the ideal of equality.

Edited to add: Bringing this back to US Politics, the real issue is tolerance, not respect. Most people in the International community did not respect the Iraqi govt under Sadam. After 9/11 the US Govt (Bush) felt we should no longer tolerate our differences with Iraq and we invaded them. Kerry on the other hand has a higher tolerance of countries he does not respect and would not have invaded unless more allies (France & Germany) also agreed to no longer tolerate Sadam.

Tolerance is a good thing, usually. The difficult challenge is deciding when to switch from tolerance to objection/action and what level of action.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with your definition of respect, respect has to be earned and there's obviously some cultures who don't know what it means.

I know there have been lots of new registered voters, but, the truth is history shows that not all of them will vote. When you have to go find people to register it tells me they weren't that interested in the first place to not have done it on their own.

I also know several soldiers who are either in Iraq or Afganistan or have been. The reality is they say we're doing a good job, and not to believe everything you see on the news. Remember the media is looking for sensational stories. The military overwhelmingly supports President Bush.

To the person who said President Bush isn't very bright obviously doesn't know much about him. You don't get into or very far at Yale, even if you "know someone", by being dumb, nor do you get very far in politics. Quite a few people from wealthy families, who were legacies, who don't have the grades, don't get into Yale. You're buying off on the propaganda put out to make you think that way.

And, I've about had it with people who say Bush never served. He did his time in the National Guard. Flying those planes takes a lot of skill and intelligence as the training is very intense to weed out the not up to par pilots. That is serving your country. He could have been called to active duty as a lot of reservists were. It's the reserves and a lot of people serve their country that way. I know how the reserves work since my husband is one and a commanding officer at that. Dick Cheney didnt' serve for the same reason most of the population didn't get drafted, with a deferral (which Kerry applied for but didn't get because he didn't fit the requirements). Men got deferrals due to college enrollment or if they were married and had small children. Deferrals were not handed out randomly, but given out to those that fit the profile. John Kerry didn't, so he made his own in his 4 months in Vietnam.

I happen to support President Bush for a lot of reasons and I definitely respect his values. And yes, I'm pro-life. The only litmus test for a Supreme Court should be, do they follow the Constitution? Their job is not to make or change laws.

And Laura Bush is the most gracious, sweet first lady we've had in a long time. Teresa Heinz Kerry does not represent what a first lady should be. Starting with the title, lady.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/27/2004 6:25:53 PM Nicrez wrote:

----------------

1) Honesty implies truth, I see no truth in your statements. Truth can not come from your statements as you know nothing of the Saudi culture compared to your own, unless you have lived within that society for a lengthy amount of time.

What do you mean when you say, "I see no truth in your statements"? Could you tell me which statements you "see no truth" in. Are they my opinons? Things I have stated as fact? That phrase is too sweeping for me to rebut. I mean I have made a lot of statements in my lifetime and a great many in my 1,000 plus postings here on Pricescope.

What do you mean by "Truth can not come from your statements as you know nothing of the Saudi culture...."?

I cannot see truth unless I live in Saudi Arabia? About anything? Do I have to live in Chile under Pinochet to have an opinion on the disappeared? In Sudan to have an opinion on the massacres there? Must I be a horse to judge a horse race?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------

2) You can quote Camus, Kierkegaard and Buber all day long,

Thank you. You are too kind!

but existentialism and reading a lot of sociology makes you no more of an expert in culture and societies than a libararian is a doctor.

I do not happen to be an existentialist. My field was not sociology. I did not say I was an expert in culture or societies. Oh...and a librarian CAN, also, be a doctor. It isn't like an elephant can't be a chimpanzee or an orange can't be an avocado.

You know nothing whatsoever of my education. Why the need to get so personal?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------

3) I made no mention of Fundamentalists, I don't comment on them, as I have nothing nice to say. I feel no love nor hate toward a person I have never met or seen with my own eyes. If there is one that judges me, let that be upon him, and I will sleep just fine. I believe that kharma balances out.

You have a right to your point of view. I, however, do sometimes comment on people about whom I have nothing nice to say. It is MY point of view that people must do that to avoid tyranny in a democracy.

I am not a big hater, but I can muster up some hatred for people who torture and kill others. Even if we haven't been formally introduced. I am NOT saying that fundamentalist Muslims fall into that class, however.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------

4) You missed an important part of the word 'ethnocentrism'...'ethno'. Which obviously links a person's belief that their ethnicity is above others.

eth·no·cen·trism (thn-sntrzm)

n.

The tendency to evaluate other groups according to the values and standards of one's own ethnic group, especially with the conviction that one's own ethnic group is superior to the other groups.​

Way of life is not an ethnicity, it may be part, but it is not the WHOLE of it. I think ethnocentric is your way of saying you believe your race to be superior to others, and frankly, that just makes you a biggot, albeit a well read one.

It is you who are confused here, not I. I did not miss the idea that ethnocentrism is the belief that one's own ethnic group is superior to others.

An ethnic group is a group of people who live in the same way, share the same culture. It has nothing to do with race.

Again: you have NO idea what I think about race and why the need to get so personal as to call me a "bigot" is beyond me!

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/27/2004 7:42:31 PM Momoftwo wrote:

And Laura Bush is the most gracious, sweet first lady we've had in a long time. Teresa Heinz Kerry does not represent what a first lady should be. Starting with the title, lady.----------------

confused.gif

That was rude. And not very ladylike. I am not saying you are not a lady, just that that statement wasn't very ladylike.

Whether you agree with her or not, I truly do not think that any of us know any of the candidates wives well enough to form a 'true' opinion of them.

It struck home to me how far we still have to go in acceptance of strong women in our society, when I saw and A&E bio on John McCain. His wife is a practicing MD who did not want to abandon her patients and her practice to be with her husband 100% of the time on the campaign trail- and she and he got raked over the coals for it. The wives that stood nicely smiling in back of their husbands were held up as the epitome of the 'good candidate wife'- gracious and sweet.

Reminded me of the howls of rage with Hilary being 'too involved', which makes no sense to me if the wives are supposed to be the sounding board as has been stated here. Again, not a sweet, gracious lady, but intelligent, successful, and continues to be successful. And it didn't seem as if Hilary's strength was a detractor internationally.

I personally would like to have a president whose wife worked full time, providing a service to people. It would show me that perhaps that couple might be a little more grounded in the reality of a country were 2 full time workers in a family is no longer 'novel'.

Perhaps in the future the wives of poiliticians won't have to give up their lives to stand on a stage and smile, or go to a foreign country and smile, give gifts and get gifts, decorate the White House for christmas and so on.

But perhaps we should refrain from denigrating people we don't really know- and who themselves are not running for office.

I'll agree not to call Bush dumb- since you say he has proven his intelligence, if you'll agree not to cast aspersions on the 'graciousness' of T. Heinz Kerry, as obviously at some point in her life she reached a level of 'ladylike-ness' to impress both a Republican Senator and a Democratic Senator enough to have them want to marry her.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I broke my rule of leaving this thread, but after being asked so nicely to stay, how could I refuse!
wavey.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock

----------------
On 10/27/2004 7:42:31 PM Momoftwo wrote:

Dick Cheney didnt' serve for the same reason most of the population didn't get drafted, with a deferral (which Kerry applied for but didn't get because he didn't fit the requirements). Men got deferrals due to college enrollment or if they were married and had small children. Deferrals were not handed out randomly, but given out to those that fit the profile. John Kerry didn't, so he made his own in his 4 months in Vietnam.
----------------

Momoftwo,
I had not heard Kerry applied for a deferral?

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Todd-

Yes, Kerry did apply for a one year deferral in 1966 after he graduated from Yale, to go study in France. After he was turned down, he volunteered in the Navy- as an active duty officer.

Edited to add: and this is something that pretty much every other college grad did. At least after he was turned down, he volunteered to active duty.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
"Senator John Kerry, the presumed Democratic presidential candidate who is trading on his Vietnam war record to campaign against President George W Bush, tried to defer his military service for a year, according to a newly rediscovered article in a Harvard University newspaper.

He wrote to his local recruitment board seeking permission to spend a further 12 months studying in Paris, after completing his degree course at Yale University in the mid-1960s.

The revelation appears to undercut Sen Kerry's carefully-cultivated image as a man who willingly served his country in a dangerous war - in supposed contrast to President Bush, who served in the Texas National Guard and thus avoided being sent to Vietnam."

Story link

edited to add: Quotes; I love Google; I also understand why both Kerry & Bush did what they did - heck my brother was pretty anxious about the draft back then.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
And since we seem to be big on the meanings of words:

Volunteer: 1 : a person who voluntarily undertakes or expresses a willingness to undertake a service: as a : one who enters into military service voluntarily

Reservist: a member of a military reserve

Reserve: 1 a : to hold in reserve : keep back b : to set aside (part of the consecrated elements) at the Eucharist for future use c : to retain or hold over to a future time or place : DEFER d : to make legal reservation of
2 : to set or have set aside or apart

So to say that John Kerry willingly went to war for this country is not a lie- once he was turned down for deferral- he volunteered, which according to the definition from Webster's means he showed a willingness.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Jen,
I agree. Kerry is not a coward. His service shows him as an intelligent and capable person with a natural and healthy sense of self preservation.

I only questioned the fact because I had not seen it before.

Edited to add:
I sometimes worry about his PR savy though. His response to the Swift Boat ads was horrible. I did not hear the fact his taped congressional testimony was a recount of what he had heard other vets state, not what he had seen.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif

See, that is why I couldn't stay away from this thread!!

Edited to add: changed 'you' to 'thread- sounded too stalkerish the other way!
naughty.gif

Also, I love Google too! Their headquarters building is 1/2 block away from my office- so I am surrounded by googlers. On the day they went public- the bars and restaurants around here were packed! I also have Yahoo-ligans (yahoo employees) as friends- their building is about 1 mile from my old apartment. I have stock option envy of those guys too!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry not to get all my comments on Nicrez' posting in one area, but my daughter needed me to test her on the countries and capitals of South and Central America :). So here we go with number 5!

----------------

----------------

5) As a matter of fact we all have opinions, (just like we all have mouths), but the difference between many people who express their opinion and those who IMPRESS their opinion is the strength at which they do so, and the ability they may (or may not) have for tolerance and understanding of any other view point.

I find what you wrote a bit convoluted. I believe, however, that you are saying that one may express an opinion and impress no one or impress others with his opinion?

If that is what you mean, I find it to be hardly a revolutionary idea! Of course that is true!

You go on to say, however, that what persuades is the orator's "tolerance and understanding of any other point of view". I don't think that is true. An orator who believes in his cause can be very powerful, indeed. I think of William Jennings Bryan and his "Cross of Gold" speech, for example. He was VERY intolerant and did not want evolution taught in the schools, but he mesmerized many of the poor and disenfranchised and energized them. He was a very powerful third party candidate, perhaps the strongest in the history of the US.

George Bush, another person with no tolerance of the point of view of others is also a powerful orator.

Somehow I think you wanted to throw this barb about intolerance at me, however. You seem quite attached to the notion that I am the "bigot" you labelled me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results