shape
carat
color
clarity

Announcement PriceScope GTG 2019 in Carlsbad, CA

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Donna it was so nice to meet you too!!!! You are local in So-Cal right? I need to get all the so-cal ladies contact info together so we can maybe do a coffee and bling in the future :) Can you email me at [email protected] so I can get your contact info? Anyone else in So-Cal who wants to meet up for coffee and bling sometime in the future pls feel free to send me an email :)

@goldenfire It was wonderful meeting you as well. Yes, I am in Orange County. A So-Cal GTG would be great. Perhaps coffee and an adventure to a jewelry store(s) in the area. I will email you separately.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A few ideas about questions to ask of the presenters:

For Al Gilbertson:
  • What is the status of a cut grade system for fancy shapes at GIA? When might we expect it to be made available to the public?
  • Regarding ASET, which you were heavily involved with during the development of the AGS light performance grading system, what can you tell us about interpreting ASET signatures to assess light performance for fancy shapes.
  • When looking specifically at 'crushed ice' style fancies, there is often a lot of leakage (white in backlit ASET). How should that be interpreted?

Hi Bryan ,
Did you receive answers ?

Reactions: AV_

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@goldenfire It was wonderful meeting you as well. Yes, I am in Orange County. A So-Cal GTG would be great. Perhaps coffee and an adventure to a jewelry store(s) in the area. I will email you separately.
That would be so fun!!!We need to get @nala on the list for when we do a So-Cal coffee/bling/jewelry shopping meet up lol. @nala if you see this can you email me your info? And then we have @PintoBean and @SandyinAnaheim who can be reached via PS? Is that right? I think @mrs-b is sometimes in So-Cal, so we can keep her posted as well if she would like. I wonder if there are any others?

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
That would be so fun!!!We need to get @nala on the list for when we do a So-Cal coffee/bling/jewelry shopping meet up lol. @nala if you see this can you email me your info? And then we have @PintoBean and @SandyinAnaheim who can be reached via PS? Is that right? I think @mrs-b is sometimes in So-Cal, so we can keep her posted as well if she would like. I wonder if there are any others?
I would love to be included in a So Cal PS gathering, depending on location. The Carlsbad event was just a bit too far for me.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would love to be included in a So Cal PS gathering, depending on location. The Carlsbad event was just a bit too far for me.
Yes for sure!!! Can you email me? I'll add you to the list :)

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Ohhhhh what a great idea! I'm in SoCal too (north of LA) and had to miss the Carlsbad event, grrrrr. It's hard for me to get away but if there were an event north of LA I'd be there for sure! I just emailed you @goldenfire, thanks!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Of particular note is @donnabrsd who prefers to lurk (please post more Donna!!)
I will try. Especially if I get something new from Whiteflash to share (it is already in my cart). Plus, so much easier to chat with people that I have now met in person. @SandyinAnaheim Glad we were able to chat at the Saturday lunch.

Last edited:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
folks PLEASE do not put personal contact information on this thread for everyone's safety!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I just sent you an email. I know the lovely Stonewell with Magnificent Jewels is in SoCal too, not far from me, but she's been MIA for the past few months.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Bryan ,
Did you receive answers ?
Hello @Serg,
Al Gilbertson did a great job of explaining the extraordinary difficulty in developing a parametric grading system for fancy cuts. They are still involved in research to development such a system, but he did not give us any indication that GIA would be rolling out cut grading on any fancy cut any time soon.

To me, this further validates a light performance based approach to cut grading of fancies.

I also specifically inquired about what guidance could be given regarding translating ASET signatures into concrete interpretations of performance of fancies, but that line of questioning did not seem to get traction. Presumably because that is not GIA's approach.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wanted to take a minute to thank all the prosumers for their participation. Everyone was so engaged, enthusiastic, inquisitive, fun loving, and genuinely likable. I was also impressed by the 'significant others' that attended, and for the very same reasons.

Both GIA presenters made similar comments to me about our group. You guys represented the pricesope community extremely well.

You guys Rock!

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello @Serg,
Al Gilbertson did a great job of explaining the extraordinary difficulty in developing a parametric grading system for fancy cuts. They are still involved in research to development such a system, but he did not give us any indication that GIA would be rolling out cut grading on any fancy cut any time soon.

To me, this further validates a light performance based approach to cut grading of fancies.

I also specifically inquired about what guidance could be given regarding translating ASET signatures into concrete interpretations of performance of fancies, but that line of questioning did not seem to get traction. Presumably because that is not GIA's approach.

The trade and the retail will have o lot of troubles with any good cut grading system for fancy cuts.
Any good performance based cut grading system will significantly reduce liquidity and price of 70-90% current stock. Most diamond factories do not happy to publish additional information about them diamonds because they afraid to loss clients.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The trade and the retail will have o lot of troubles with any good cut grading system for fancy cuts.
Any good performance based cut grading system will significantly reduce liquidity and price of 70-90% current stock. Most diamond factories do not happy to publish additional information about them diamonds because they afraid to loss clients.
I agree that economic/operational/training considerations present a significant impediment to rolling out a new cut grade system. I believe this is a primary reason that GIA was 10 years behind AGS in doing so, and why the system GIA finally released was far less stringent and only covered rounds.

Even though it was an adjustment for the trade, the nature of the system allowed plenty of latitude for manufacturers and retailers. It was probably the right call for GIA considering their huge worldwide constituency. And it DID have the effect of significantly improving the overall quality of rounds in the market.

The market for fancies needs a similar quality boost and it seems GIA is the only entity that can make a big difference. Unfortunately, it looks like we are in for a long wait for that to happen.

This of course gives other players the chance to fill the void. But getting traction in the market is a huge challenge for anyone not named "GIA".

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree that economic/operational/training considerations present a significant impediment to rolling out a new cut grade system. I believe this is a primary reason that GIA was 10 years behind AGS in doing so, and why the system GIA finally released was far less stringent and only covered rounds.

Even though it was an adjustment for the trade, the nature of the system allowed plenty of latitude for manufacturers and retailers. It was probably the right call for GIA considering their huge worldwide constituency. And it DID have the effect of significantly improving the overall quality of rounds in the market.

The market for fancies needs a similar quality boost and it seems GIA is the only entity that can make a big difference. Unfortunately, it looks like we are in for a long wait for that to happen.

This of course gives other players the chance to fill the void. But getting traction in the market is a huge challenge for anyone not named "GIA".

Hi @Texas Leaguer ,

I agree that the GIA grading system improved the overall quality of RBC diamonds. I am agree that it was very positive result for consumers.
in same the GIA grading system :
1) Reduced number professionals who had skills to compare optical performance in RBC diamonds and to show to consumer a real difference in beauty .
2) replaced a communication about diamond beauty to the communication about grades( the trade does not sell RBC by beauty more, it sells by GIA grading paper)
3) Reduced price difference between best RBC diamonds and just VG. a difference in rapnet discount between GIA EX and GIA VG is just 5-12%. many cutters prefer cut 1.65ct VG( even 1.59ct) instead 1.51 ct EX. Expenses and risk to cut 1.65ct VG is less than to cut 1.51ct EX, but a price is higher.

Finally manufactures , the retail and may be even consumers lost more that received .

I do not like to see same results for Fancy cuts diamond market. We need an other approach for fancy cuts grading system. We need fancy cut grading system which will develop the market instead a systems which are drying it now. We need a system which will motivate a creation better and better fancy cuts. It has to be score system ( without any limit for highest score) instead penalty systems as
EX, VG, GOOD
or
0, 1, 2,,10.
Such grading system has to open door for new cuts which could be much better than any available now cut. New cut system has do not use any reference diamonds ( and reference ideal diamond).

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Emerald cut variables.JPG
This is really simplistic, but it shows the magnitude of the problem.

When Al Gilbertson did his presentation, he stated that parameterization on fancy grading alone is not the answer as it becomes an issue of magnitude as each fancy can have a magnitude of patterns. He did not state exactly what the final plan is but that they are working on it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to this thread. But better late than never. Hubby and I had a great time! Loved our accommodations! Ty!!! Loved meeting you all!!! Loved GIA presentations! And looking forward to the so cal meet-up’s!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results