shape
carat
color
clarity

Price range for a used diamond?

alphabet752

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am looking to sell an emerald cut diamond I have. It’s GIA certified from Botswana DTC. VS1, 2.01 carat, G color, 1.37 ratio. The cut isn’t the best … rated as “very good” by the DTC. It’s a lively stone but a few flaws in the hall of mirrors effects.

Just curious what price range something like this might go for. Even a big range would be helpful for me as a starting point. I’d really appreciate any feedback!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try to find stones of the same size/clarity/color/approx cut quality, and then take about 60% of that.

alphabet752

Rough_Rock
Try to find stones of the same size/clarity/color/approx cut quality, and then take about 60% of that.

Got it. So if the diamond search on price scope is ranging $17k - 19k then I could expect $10,500 in a sale? Does the Botswana source cert add anything?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Got it. So if the diamond search on price scope is ranging $17k - 19k then I could expect $10,500 in a sale? Does the Botswana source cert add anything?

Not necessarily...today, most diamonds sold are considered ethically sourced (Kimberley or CanadaMark), so the exact COA may have little bearing. The exception would be if a diamond was from a specific mine that has unique characteristics only to that mine and highly sought after. Red diamonds from Argyle, as an example.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also really depends on who you can get to buy it. Pawn shops or jewelers probably arent going to offer that much. Your best
bet is to find a private buyer vs selling to a jeweler. Consignment also usually pays more but can take a lot longer to sell.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selling preloved stones can be very difficult.

Like anything being sold, you have to reach potential buyers. Most average Joe/Jane’s don’t have or know a large source of people wanting to buy diamonds.

To add more complexity, the size of the purchase, trust level and often required financing or ability to at least take a credit card are all factors that make it difficult to navigate a private sale. Also many vendors offer some sort of a trade up program which is something a private seller cannot do. Also there is the “new vs used” thing.

And because many buyers are not educated about diamonds they may limit their stone search to GIA excellent as they believe that helps ensure they get the best stone available.

I don’t say these things to discourage you but rather so you recognize it can be difficult and may take a little time to complete the sale. That said I think an expectation of 50-60% is reasonable. It could float up/down a bit but it’s a fair number.

Also I would clarify that is based on TODAY dollars for a stone of near identical size, color, clarity and cut. We don’t know what you actually paid but whatever the number was could have been higher or lower than todays market price so be sure to evaluate the value on todays market price and not your purchase price.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does the Botswana source cert add anything?

If you're selling in the US, that'll subtract, not add. People here aren't very familiar with DTC papers. If you're selling to a dealer, I would let them deal with it. If you're selling to a consumer, you might consider sending it in to GIA for grading. It's a big enough stone that it might be worth the cost depending on your selling skills.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, it doesnt really have GIA paperwork? Or does it? Does DTC provide GIA documentation?

"It’s GIA certified from Botswana DTC." from original post.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results