shape
carat
color
clarity

Price of resetting eternity band

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Anyone who has experience resetting an eternity band could you give me an idea on Price?

I think some of the pickiness I have over my band would be resolvedwith setting in a different style, low profile basket setting.

I will contact my original jeweler but he didn’t answer my last email about possibility of upgrading size of stones at a later date (so I think that’s a no) but I’m sure it would be fine going forward to work on a reset.

Not sure I have it in the budget to do it right now but curious if anyone has reset an eternity band what it cost.

Thanks!

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I sent my eternity ring to a seller I deal with on Etsy called JewelryyoulovebyAby and she reset my diamonds for $400 plus $75 for an extra diamond. It‘s a 1ct diamond eternity ring so the diamonds are small (5 points each), however she did a great job. Very low set similar to the Blue Nile riviera. Hope that helps. =)2

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Resetting to a new design in AUD will largely depend on the weight of gold used. Current project I am working on is estimated at about AUD $1800 but will know more when the amount of gold is used.

However, I would advise strongly against resetting it. Why? In your case, you have always thought of size of stones are not big enough. So ploughing (more) money into a reset may yield the same feel/look of “the diamonds are not big enough or, as big as what I saw in THAT store and therefore wanted THAT stone size and not this size”

Everyone travels a different road, including the original vendor. They are coming up to the silly and festive season. They may or may not want to do the reset.

I do hope you get an answer from them soon and more direction in which you are going.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Resetting to a new design in AUD will largely depend on the weight of gold used. Current project I am working on is estimated at about AUD $1800 but will know more when the amount of gold is used.

However, I would advise strongly against resetting it. Why? In your case, you have always thought of size of stones are not big enough. So ploughing (more) money into a reset may yield the same feel/look of “the diamonds are not big enough or, as big as what I saw in THAT store and therefore wanted THAT stone size and not this size”

Everyone travels a different road, including the original vendor. They are coming up to the silly and festive season. They may or may not want to do the reset.

I do hope you get an answer from them soon and more direction in which you are going.

I think I'm getting the feeling that the jeweler would not be open to trade in for larger stones, I also don't want much larger so maybe it wouldn't be much of a profitable situation? idk. I also did reach out to a few jewelers that are mentioned here to see if I can trade in for bigger stones and they were all very nice but they did in the end say I should go back to original jeweler.

As far as doing a reset I maybe wanted to just touch base with him and get a price. I don't have to do it now.

I could sell but I would worry I wouldn't really get as much as i wanted.

Anyways, onto why I thought the reset could help. One, is the reset style is lower. part of what bothers me with mine now is its a bit more protruding looking. plus I think with a reset we could place prongs different in a way that might help the stones look slightly bigger and can help my crazy pickiness.

the jeweler does a very good basically exact version of the tiffany embrace. so that's what I'd be looking at for full eternity set very low with my .20 point stones.

maybe that way when I wear it I could stop obsessing over it!

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I sent my eternity ring to a seller I deal with on Etsy called JewelryyoulovebyAby and she reset my diamonds for $400 plus $75 for an extra diamond. It‘s a 1ct diamond eternity ring so the diamonds are small (5 points each), however she did a great job. Very low set similar to the Blue Nile riviera. Hope that helps. =)2

thank you! that's a good price!

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
yeah not a bad idea but I guess my concern is not being able to get a good price. my ring finger is pretty small also so not the most common size.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
This would be the idea. I will show mine and the setting change I'd be thinking of changing to. first 2 pics are mine. Then 2nd two are another fellow PS'er with the low basket setting I'd be looking for. I think resetting would give me a nicer lower profile and could make the stones look ever so slightly bigger if I have the prongs set so the ring looks a bit less scalloped than mine. any thoughts?

and im also even feeling a little timid to reach out to the jeweler again to be honest. in the end he seemed frustrated with the sizing issues. but I gave him my size and we had some back and forth on it until we ended up working it out with some sizing beads. I think this is just something that can happen working on projects remotely.

Attachments

• IMG_9263.jpg
    IMG_9263.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_9260.jpg
    IMG_9260.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9242.PNG
    IMG_9242.PNG
    856.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9230.PNG
    IMG_9230.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I am doubtful that any jeweler will do a trade with you in the stone/ ring for you to upgrade/ make a bigger stone & ring.

Based on what you are wanted to do with the change of settings:::

Lower setting is just that- it sits closer to the finger.

Basket setting has more metal than the scalloped. More metal- more cost for the setting.

Prongs are set between the stones. Based on the pics that you have included, the basket setting has a look of squarer stones v the u shaped / scalloped setting, which keeps the shape of the round stone. So, possibly the square shape would make the stone appear bigger. The only true way to make a call on what appears bigger is to have the exact same stone size in both settings in front of you to see for yourself what looks better.

Then there is the question of which setting would feel better to wear. Would one setting be More comfortable than the other? I wonder if you search on PS to see if any other members have made this comparison?

Or google images of the same size stones in the settings you are considering. This would only give you the idea if the setting will make the stone appear bigger than what they already are. The fit/ comfort can only be made in person. Is there a store near by that May have similar styles for you to try?

Otherwise, you have to make that change and assess it yourself. And be prepared that it may not be what you think it’s going to feel/ look like. OR- it could work in your favour and it resolves your issue.

At any rate- the $ spent would be considered a learning experience into what you like about diamonds and settings.

For what it is worth- I prefer the u prong / scalloped setting as it shows more of the stone than the basket setting.

As mentioned before, the size of stone is something that has bugged you from the beginning, despite deciding on the smaller stone. It is a hard realisation that the decision that was made has yielded the result that it does. Yes, trying to make amends is possible and money has to be spent... it just depends on how much you are willing to spend. And, also understand that it is all a learning experience. Yes, a costly one... but, it is a very valuable one to learn.

My guidance is still the same... sell this ring to recoup some of the costs that guy have incurred. Make a new ring to exactly what you initially saw.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I am doubtful that any jeweler will do a trade with you in the stone/ ring for you to upgrade/ make a bigger stone & ring.

Based on what you are wanted to do with the change of settings:::

Lower setting is just that- it sits closer to the finger.

Basket setting has more metal than the scalloped. More metal- more cost for the setting.

Prongs are set between the stones. Based on the pics that you have included, the basket setting has a look of squarer stones v the u shaped / scalloped setting, which keeps the shape of the round stone. So, possibly the square shape would make the stone appear bigger. The only true way to make a call on what appears bigger is to have the exact same stone size in both settings in front of you to see for yourself what looks better.

Then there is the question of which setting would feel better to wear. Would one setting be More comfortable than the other? I wonder if you search on PS to see if any other members have made this comparison?

Or google images of the same size stones in the settings you are considering. This would only give you the idea if the setting will make the stone appear bigger than what they already are. The fit/ comfort can only be made in person. Is there a store near by that May have similar styles for you to try?

Otherwise, you have to make that change and assess it yourself. And be prepared that it may not be what you think it’s going to feel/ look like. OR- it could work in your favour and it resolves your issue.

At any rate- the $ spent would be considered a learning experience into what you like about diamonds and settings.

For what it is worth- I prefer the u prong / scalloped setting as it shows more of the stone than the basket setting.

As mentioned before, the size of stone is something that has bugged you from the beginning, despite deciding on the smaller stone. It is a hard realisation that the decision that was made has yielded the result that it does. Yes, trying to make amends is possible and money has to be spent... it just depends on how much you are willing to spend. And, also understand that it is all a learning experience. Yes, a costly one... but, it is a very valuable one to learn.

My guidance is still the same... sell this ring to recoup some of the costs that guy have incurred. Make a new ring to exactly what you initially saw.

Yes, I think I like the lower setting look and the more square look, and the square look will potentially make it look slightly bigger. what I regret is not doing the .25 stones. that's what I had wanted before. I don't know where or why I made the adjustment to the size. I think its cause I actually wanted .30 to start and that didn't actually look great - BUT why did I choose .20 over .25?

I feel like when the pressure is on my decision making process gets "OFF" and I start flip flopping on what I think I want.

but really I only had the budget to do this once at this point as we just have too many other priorities with family stuff that might come before my jewelry needs lol. I mean is there any idea or estimate of what you think i could sell it for?

I feel like if the setting change can perhaps help resolve my issues it might be an easier fix than selling it at a probably decent loss and then probably having to put a few more thousand on it.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Selling it on LT or diamond bistro or here, could get you around 80%. Bargaining as ppl would and, how much you are willing to let it go for are completely different to the listing price you want. How long it’s been selling for and how quick you want to sell it.

As with costs- yes, priorities need to be set and measured.

Reset if this will help with the feeling of- at least I tried that path. It MAY or may not work... if it worked out- bingo...

Sometimes it nice to talk to like minded ppl and have things written down to see what can be done.

Good luck.

Last edited:

EE3

Rough_Rock
Just a thought...would you consider getting a 5-stone or 7-stone with .25s to mimic the look of an eternity? It may not cost much more than resetting/upgrading to .25s. Below are .2, .25, and .3s on my right hand size 4 ring finger. I get full top finger coverage with .2 but I prefer.3s.

095846E2-F8A1-4FDE-BCDC-3EA80690012D.jpeg

Here are pictures of .2 and .25s sent to me by a jeweler. FWIW, I don’t think there’s a huge difference between the two sizes. You have a lovely ring and I hope you wear it in happiness and good health. Best of luck!
79E7A936-36E8-4C52-9964-E0F8B02D6AB8.jpeg

Last edited:

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for posting this! it's actually quite helpful to see, because I'm just under a size 4 too. wow though I do wish I got the .25, its not that its so much bigger but it just looks better to me and was the look I was going for (something about the width of it on the finger looks better than .20 in my humble opinion lol. now im trying to figure out how I can fix that. the 5-7 stone ring idea is not a bad option.

I guess in all honesty I was partly deterred by price as the .25 rings were nearly $2k more, though not a huge difference in carat weight from .20 ring.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone who has experience resetting an eternity band could you give me an idea on Price?

I think some of the pickiness I have over my band would be resolvedwith setting in a different style, low profile basket setting.

I will contact my original jeweler but he didn’t answer my last email about possibility of upgrading size of stones at a later date (so I think that’s a no) but I’m sure it would be fine going forward to work on a reset.

Not sure I have it in the budget to do it right now but curious if anyone has reset an eternity band what it cost.

Thanks!
Have you tried David Klass? His prices seem to be very reasonable.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think I like the lower setting look and the more square look, and the square look will potentially make it look slightly bigger. what I regret is not doing the .25 stones. that's what I had wanted before. I don't know where or why I made the adjustment to the size. I think its cause I actually wanted .30 to start and that didn't actually look great - BUT why did I choose .20 over .25?

I feel like when the pressure is on my decision making process gets "OFF" and I start flip flopping on what I think I want.

but really I only had the budget to do this once at this point as we just have too many other priorities with family stuff that might come before my jewelry needs lol. I mean is there any idea or estimate of what you think i could sell it for?

I feel like if the setting change can perhaps help resolve my issues it might be an easier fix than selling it at a probably decent loss and then probably having to put a few more thousand on it.
I just read this post. I have the square look and it is 4 mm wide I think. Definitely gives my eternity a chunkier look than a scalloped one. Idk if that’s a good thing, lol, Bc sometimes I covet a more defined look. But the setting really sold me on it. I got it preloved and it did the trick. Lol. It led me to believe that I was buying a bigger eternity. So maybe a square look might help.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
@Weecam could you link her store? My google-fu is weak

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I just read this post. I have the square look and it is 4 mm wide I think. Definitely gives my eternity a chunkier look than a scalloped one. Idk if that’s a good thing, lol, Bc sometimes I covet a more defined look. But the setting really sold me on it. I got it preloved and it did the trick. Lol. It led me to believe that I was buying a bigger eternity. So maybe a square look might help.

Yes I agree that’s what I was thinking it might help! Would love to see yours :) and 4 mm wide sounds perfect. It’s weird how such a small mm can make a difference to our eyes.

I will perhaps call the jeweler about resetting. Though I have mentioned before we had 3 back n forth mailings of this ring on sizing and lots of communication. So I hope he won’t be frustrated hearing from me on wanting a change of course I would be paying though

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. Here it is. For perspective it is pictured with my 9 stone. The center stone is 1 carat. Side stones are graduated anywhere from .40 to .15 I think. I suspect my eternity stones are .13 max .15 each.

Attachments

• 372A19CB-E8BE-4694-95C9-19A77973FD15.jpeg
    372A19CB-E8BE-4694-95C9-19A77973FD15.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 48

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Ok. Here it is. For perspective it is pictured with my 9 stone. The center stone is 1 carat. Side stones are graduated anywhere from .40 to .15 I think. I suspect my eternity stones are .13 max .15 each.

Pretty set! :) I think though the square look does somewhat make the stones look bigger than having a more scalloped look.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Looks like you have had some great perspectives on a re set!

Can’t wait to see what you decide and the result of the new ring!

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Weecam could you link her store? My google-fu is weak

I hope I‘m allowed to post a link? Here you go:

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I hope I‘m allowed to post a link? Here you go:

Thank you for linking me to this!! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results