shape
carat
color
clarity

Pretty Graphs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dingy

Rough_Rock

Hey there! I''ve been lurking for a few months now, and as I''m going to be pulling the trigger soon I thought now would be a great time to finally create an account. I''m a recently graduated electrical engineer and have been searching for a beautiful stone for my fiancé-to-be (also an engineer). While I''m still exploring options, I thought that perhaps some of the tools I''ve been using might be useful/interesting/mildly entertaining to others.

The first of which is a simple data parser/presenter which can parse copy/pastes of diamond search listings from sources like Pricescope''s search, James Allen, Good Old Gold and Whiteflash. Because it isn''t really feasible for a person to look at the many thousands of diamonds one by one and retain memory of each, I built this tool to do two things:
1) Show general trends of price with regards to carat, color and clarity (cut is a no brainer). This is to give me an idea of what combinations I can afford and where to make trade offs for maximum effect.
2) Highlight outliers to this trend (IE diamonds that might be priced lower than their neighbors).

I had it doing a bunch of complex statistics on this huge amount of data, but it ended up not being all that useful so I haven''t included it here. Why wouldn''t more detailed computations on each stone be useful? For the same reason you wouldn''t simply buy the best dot on the below graph you could afford. There are too many unquantifiable (and infuriating) characteristics of diamonds that have to be evaluated on a case by case basis. This is just a half decent tool to direct your attention to the right stones.

I hope someone finds these useful or at least interesting and worth the read

1.gif

Data Collected from a Pricescope search with parameters:
Carat: 0.55 - 2.00
Color: D - J
Clarity: IF - SI2
Cut: AGS0/H&A
In House Only

rock graph 12-7  1.jpg

dingy

Rough_Rock
VVS1

rock graph 12-7 2.jpg

dingy

Rough_Rock
VVS2

rock graph 12-7 3.jpg

dingy

Rough_Rock
VS1

rock graph 12-7 4.jpg

dingy

Rough_Rock
VS2

rock graph 12-7 5.jpg

dingy

Rough_Rock
SI1

rock graph 12-7 6.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Interesting graphs. Ends up being rather what you expect. Larger diamonds cost more. Better colors (Ds, Es) hang out on the bottom side of the diagonal and I''s and J''s on the upper side (i.e., you get a bigger diamond for the money when you drop in color). I do remember seeing an outlier on Blue Nile, and upon looking closely I saw it had yellow fluorescence. When I see a great value in the SI range, I always wonder how visible those inclusions are.
35.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 3:50:30 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Interesting graphs. Ends up being rather what you expect. Larger diamonds cost more. Better colors (Ds, Es) hang out on the bottom side of the diagonal and I''s and J''s on the upper side (i.e., you get a bigger diamond for the money when you drop in color). I do remember seeing an outlier on Blue Nile, and upon looking closely I saw it had yellow fluorescence. When I see a great value in the SI range, I always wonder how visible those inclusions are.
35.gif

Ditto...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results