shape
carat
color
clarity

Pretty but inexpensive colored faceted gemstones to start?

Area57

Rough_Rock
What would be some good colored gemstones to start a collection? I would eventually like to have some of almost everything. I don't want anything rou, just faceted gems. No "rocks" either, like agate or jasper, how some people people polish them and make neckalaces or what have you. I would like only gemstones.

So without spending too much, what do you recommend?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Pretty but inexpensive colored faceted gemstones to star

People seem to be loving on electronic blue topaz lately
Chrysoberyl i will always suggest because its still inexpensive and lovely

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Read this first:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

Any gemstone is a good start. Before even spending a cent, I would start by learning as much about each gem type as possible, then viewing them in person, either at your local store or gem shows. This will give you some idea where your preference and tolerance lies for colour, cutting, size, treatment, and etcetera balanced with that pesky thing called budget.

Do you like sparkly stones? If so, then perhaps a garnet might be a better choice than a tourmaline or beryl.
Do you want only ring stones? If so, then perhaps spinels might be a better choice than a zircon or tanzanite.
Are you the type to want one WOW stone or several nice looking smaller stones?

I know it isn't exciting to do a lot of research first but doing it this way will save you a lot of money down the road, instead of leaving you with 20 stones that you will never set.

S

SparkliesLuver

When you say inexpensive, what does that mean? Less than $500? Less than $200? Less than $1,000? And what colors interest you? Will you be wearing the gems in rings or how will they be worn, if they'll be worn at all?

I think tourmaline is a really great material because it comes in a bunch of different colors. Plus it's fairly easy to find smaller, more affordable pieces with amazing color, such as those shown below.

Topaz is another material I'd suggest, just like Niel.

Montana sapphires, in smaller sizes, are usually pretty affordable. And those come in various colors but usually have some gray (as long as you're okay with that) and can often have a touch of silk too.

rtr0.jpg

atr0.jpg

12063581_816152745168263_5821524322021574684_n.jpg

2658916_orig.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would start with the quartzes (amethyst, citrine) and garnets (there are a whole bunch of different kinds of garnets, very pretty stones). Tourmalines also come in many colors. If you wanted to get some of each "type" get a gemology book and it will break it down into the main varieties such as quartz, garnet, beryl (aquamarine, emerald, goshenite) corundum (sapphire, ruby) and more.
There are more and less expensive stones in each of the categories, depending on type, color, size, and saturation.

Have fun!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

part gypsy|1446041926|3942985 said:
I would start with the quartzes (amethyst, citrine) and garnets (there are a whole bunch of different kinds of garnets, very pretty stones). Tourmalines also come in many colors. If you wanted to get some of each "type" get a gemology book and it will break it down into the main varieties such as quartz, garnet, beryl (aquamarine, emerald, goshenite) corundum (sapphire, ruby) and more.
There are more and less expensive stones in each of the categories, depending on type, color, size, and saturation.

Have fun!

Part gypsy gives great advice. Since you say "I would eventually like to have some of almost everything" keep an eye on stones that are going up in price, for example spinels. You might be able to snag a pre-loved one with good color and cut that may be much more expensive in the future. Also keep an eye out for "new" stones. Our members are great about posting their new stones, so watch and see what they are buying. For example, back in the day when Mahenge spinels and Paraiba tourmalines hit the market, they were relatively affordable for nice stones. They are extremely expensive now. I remember reading an old post (not sure in this forum or the GIA forum)in which a poster claimed the rising cost of paraiba tourmaline was just a trend, and he was waiting for the prices to go down before he bought any. Lastly- trust your eyes. If you do not love a stone that you have purchased then return it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What's your favourite colour and one that you'd wear most?

Start with the colour and then we can match the stones for you.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh and please don't say "red" because red stones are the most difficult to find and sought after (and nearly always have a hefty price tag)!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have bought a few amethyst, aquamarine, topaz (from colourless to electric blue), zircon, spinel, and garnets.

I picked up quite a few bargains from Jeff Davies via his eBay auctions in the past 12 months.

DK :))

nojs

Shiny_Rock

Here is my "pretty but inexpensive" collection :) Nearly all stones have been below 100 USD :) I have bought them from local gem shows, eBay and fellow collectors at my local gem society. Some are tiny, but they are still nice to have. I like to look at them and study them. The other night I did this test:
http://facetingacademy.com/learn-faceting/learn-faceting-free/gem-identification/
with my red spinels, red garnets and my tiny ruby. It was fun :)

Most stones look a lot nicer in real life than in the group photo. I have: garnets, 4 dark red and a blue spinel, tourmalines (various colors), 2 tanzanites, sapphires (pink and yellow), beryls, blue topazes, amethysts, a kyanite, two tiny rubies, a tiny emerald, a tiny demantoid, a peridot, 2 sphenes, 2 chrosoberyls, crome diopside pair, an apatite, blue zircons and a golden zircon. In addition I have some quartz and some rough citrine and chrysophase.

I realize these stones are not up to PS standards, but they have been inexpensive and I have a better idea now what cuts and colors I like. And, inexpensive as they are, they still look a lot better than what is sold at local jewelry stores for $$$$.

kokoelma.jpg

_35145.jpg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

nojs|1446415108|3944585 said:
I realize these stones are not up to PS standards, but they have been inexpensive and I have a better idea now what cuts and colors I like. And, inexpensive as they are, they still look a lot better than what is sold at local jewelry stores for $$$$.

You are not alone :wavey:
I do exactly like you do, I collect inexpensive gems and I'm happy with it although my collection is nowhere near yours ( I probably have a dozen gems or so) I got some great deals so far and prices have gone up for some of the stones I bought, really glad I got them when I did.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please don't pooh-pooh your collection. I think they are lovely, bright and very colourful. :appl:

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock

For some really reasonable stones from a really nice dealer, take a look at what Dana has on offer at www.mastercutgems.com.. I have bought some lovely garnets from him.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1446727968|3945970 said:

Please don't pooh-pooh your collection. I think they are lovely, bright and very colourful. :appl:

Ditto :)

And I didn't know there was a PS "standard" LOL :) Everybody has different taste and has different things that are important to them. PS has helped me make really good decisions within my tastes and budget (not that I should be spending ANYTHING on gems, LOL). I think the only standard here is that people are happy and satisfied with what they get :)

To the OP, someone already mentioned mastercut, I'll just ditto that. They're SO great and so helpful, about to make a purchase there for my birthday *grin*

Area57

Rough_Rock

Great suggestions!

Area57

Rough_Rock

Oh, also, what websites or other method, can I use to compare prices? Say I am buying in person at a store or fair or whatever, even buying on a website online, I need to create some sort of reference I can go to that will tell me whether the gemstone I am looking at is priced fairly or not.

Say I find a really nice Spinel. But say it's .8 carats and priced at x dollars. Assuming the cut is good, clarity, what have you, how would I know if it is a good price or not?

Someone also asked what I considered inexpensive. I guess I am looking at stones under several hundred dollars, with a good amount under a hundred, some even $20-50 so that I have some stand out show pieces, and then some to not only round out the collection, but because even though they may not be expensive, that doesn't mean they aren't still beautiful and I want a very wide variety, even if it is only one of something. Like at some point I will need a ruby. Even if it is a small ruby, I think I would have to have one for a complete collection.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock

If you find something you like but are unsure of the something/price you should post it I have always found input here to be so helpful.

although be aware that by posting it you are also making it aware to others... so if it is good or someone else like it, they might snatch it up, so put it on hold if you are seriously interested, then check in

Area57

Rough_Rock

Hey NOJS, cool collection, thanks for sharing! What are those three new aquisitions?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Many Pricescopes like to buy from the vendors on this list due to their inventory, competitive pricing and good customer service. Some PSers might also prefer one vendor over another for various reasons so it is up to the consumer to do their due diligence.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/list-of-vendors-for-reference.208782/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/list-of-vendors-for-reference.208782/[/URL]

In order to know whether the price is fair or not, it is up to you to learn more about judging the quality. Pricing for CS is all over the place, not just due to the quality but also the vendor's overhead, how quickly the vendor wants to unload the stone and how cheaply/expensively the vendor procured it for. This is why I suggested visiting gem shows to get a feel for what you like and also to learn more about judging quality and pricing. The fine nuances of colour can make that spinel either $100 or $1000. In the CS world, colour is what sets the price.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

Stick around, do a lot of reading of the various posts and you'll soon get a good feel of what is hot and what is not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results