shape
carat
color
clarity

Presenting my new Pear Diamond Ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Val~ i'm not understanding what you mean by carving at the sides and bridging the gap?
33.gif

the ring is extremely heavy and thick, as well as wide. It's also not tension... i think more like a half bezel?

Date: 3/10/2006 2:14:44 AM
Author: valeria101

Anyway, I like the setting allot. It ain't e-ring-ish to me. And I wonder if one could carve at it a bit without compromising the integrity of the ring. If it is not a tension setting, maybe making the band lighter and bridging the gap between the two sides would help. At least this is what I would ask a jeweler first thing.

My 2c.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Wow...great deal and beautiful Pear. I also like your marquise...I own one too and they are fab in their own rite! You''ve got two beauties there...lucky girl
1.gif

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
FK, I think the idea of dipping it is good. It would really showcase how white the stone is better than the YG, I think. In the pic you posted with the comment about there being an "X" - I see it! It''s there and after studying my pear and pictures I have saved in my folders, I do think it''s rare! I can''t seem to find any other stones that exhibit this X. All the more proof that you''ve got a great rare find at a great GREAT price. Lucky gal!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
FK the pear looks just stunning, I love all the shots that capture the sparkle!! It really does look like a unique cut but it seems like it sparkles more than most pears I''ve seen!

I vote for a pendant or something, that ring is just not doing it for me...but it''s definitely an eye-catcher.

Great deal, congrats!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2006 2:18:20 AM
Author: ForteKitty

Val~ I''m not understanding what you mean by carving at the sides and bridging the gap?
the ring is extremely heavy and thick, as well as wide. It''s also not tension... i think more like a half bezel?

Oh... I wanted to say that metal could be ''shaved'' off the sides of the band - reducing the width and creating a slight knife edge profile, especially towards the front part of the ring near the stone. The setting looks so heavy that there should be plenty of room for this. The back of the ring could be left heavier to allow the setting to keep being secure and not spin. I am quite convinced that this should have been done on the vax - only wasn''t.

This about ''carving the sides''.

Obviously, if this not a tension setting, there is no gap to bridge. Looking at the bulk of metal I thought that the ring might have been made this heavy to be sort of a tension ring - but if not, all for the better.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2006 2:10:54 AM

Anyone have any suggestion as far as ring designs? I don''t want halos, and i don''t want a regular solitaire. That doesn''t leave me with very many options, huh?
No... only about 98% of all possible ring shapes involving a pear diamond!
11.gif

Would you want to reset it?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 2:58:18 AM

Would you want to reset it?
i dont mind resetting if i find something i like, but i do have some limitations since the stone was so cheap.

< $1000

No: halo, solitaire, w/ pear sidestones (design reserved for marquise reset), w/ emerald, princess, trillion sidestones, sapphire or ruby sidestones (already have), orange/purple/yellow/cognac sidestones, yellow gold/ platinum (don''t like patina, luckily jeweler''s stuff never yellows), nothing with too much pave... and i think that''s it for now. Not too much limitations, right?
20.gif
31.gif

Actually, now that i thought about it, maybe green or pink sidestones would be nice. but that would leave me with a collection of 3-stone gemstone rings, which can get boring after a while because they all start to look the same-- just different colors.

got any ideas/pictures?
9.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 2:56:59 AM

Oh... I wanted to say that metal could be ''shaved'' off the sides of the band - reducing the width and creating a slight knife edge profile, especially towards the front part of the ring near the stone. The setting looks so heavy that there should be plenty of room for this. The back of the ring could be left heavier to allow the setting to keep being secure and not spin. I am quite convinced that this should have been done on the vax - only wasn''t.

This about ''carving the sides''.

Obviously, if this not a tension setting, there is no gap to bridge. Looking at the bulk of metal I thought that the ring might have been made this heavy to be sort of a tension ring - but if not, all for the better.
I get it now. For a while there was this mental image of a man chipping away at the ring w/ a chisel and another polishing an axe.
33.gif

They can probablyy do that, but i might as well get a new setting, since it''ll probably cost quite a bit to fix someone else''s ring? Anyway, i''m going back to the jeweler tomorrow to look at his stuff. Hopefully i can find something i like! If not, i''ll just wait until my jeweler comes back from Hong Kong... maybe he''ll have some new designs for me.
5.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2006 3:52:49 AM

got any ideas/pictures?
IMO, modifying this setting would be allot less expensive and involved than making anything new. It doesn''t look bad - in concept, only so darn heavy. (picture may show better what I mean).

There are some pictures you might like... on a different computer. I''ll post them later today.
5.gif

TRRIF.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone looks very lively! You definitely got a good deal. I like the setting but I too am thinking too much metal. I like it in a ring - maybe just shaved down a bit!

Congrats!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know... I know... But can dream, no?
37.gif

I had a cute by-pass design with a diamond and a sapphire pear somewhere. No pave and a ring made in one piece. Wonder if a double-loop ring like this would look nice with a brushed finish - I'd bet it does.

RingWisePear.JPG

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
What a great deal!!! I actually like the ring the way it is, but I tend to like heavier settings in general.

I''d leave it in the setting for now, and you can reevaluate if you want another ring setting (or pendant setting) over time. Don''t rush into resetting it and then wish you had left it alone.

I totally agree, it would NOT bother me at all that the ring was someone else''s e-ring before you purchased it. People don''t think anything of it when the word "vintage" is slapped on the description. Then all of a sudeen a previously-owned e-ring becomes romantic.
20.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous ring! I don''t normally go crazy over pears but that is just stunning!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow ForteKitty!!!! That is some pear, soo yummy! I also think the setting is lovely the way it is! Oh to have 3 ¼ size fingers!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful pear FK, and it looks HUGE!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in with Matatora - like it as is.

These two happened to be some cute, unusual rings with pears lurking around on my HD.

Fresh on delivery
2.gif

handyII.JPG

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
very pretty FK

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 7:00:45 AM
I know... I know... But can dream, no?
37.gif

I had a cute by-pass design with a diamond and a sapphire pear somewhere. No pave and a ring made in one piece. Wonder if a double-loop ring like this would look nice with a brushed finish - I''d bet it does.
LOVE this design from Ana!!! Stunning.

umgoblue2003

Rough_Rock
i LOVE it!!!!!!
keep it as a ring:) it's gorgeous!!!

i might use that setting idea for myself:)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great deal!! It''s a lovely pear and I think the current setting looks great on your hand.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO You got the DEAL!!! I love the setting. Wouldn''t change a thing :)

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 7:54:06 AM
Author: DiamondLil

I totally agree, it would NOT bother me at all that the ring was someone else''s e-ring before you purchased it. People don''t think anything of it when the word ''vintage'' is slapped on the description. Then all of a sudeen a previously-owned e-ring becomes romantic.
20.gif

Yes, and anyway, who knows where all of our diamonds have been before we got them??? They may have been in someone else''s e-ring and they traded up, sold it due to divorce or finances, etc. There''s no telling anyway.

I also liked Valaria''s idea with the pave ring and how the pear comes off the end of the ring. Your pear would probably be the perfect size for that. But, I still like the setting it''s in. I misunderstood though, I thought it was yellow gold. I really like it -- very unique but not TOO unique.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I solved my problem.

My mom wears a size 4, and she loves the non-rhodium dipped tinted white gold look. Her eyes lit up when i showed her my new toy, so I asked her to try it on. it looked great, so I gave it to her!
5.gif

Oh, and i think the pictures make the setting look MUCH more substantial than it really is. It looks more like Val's slimmer rendition than the actual pics!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pear and what a great deal you got! I personally would have Mark Morrell or some other jeweler make me a ring similar to Pookarina's, I will find the pics and post for you!

They are a 1 carat K and .93 carat blue?

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is one, a K in rose gold...
30.gif

tessa-red-006.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is the other, a blue diamond in white gold!
30.gif
18.gif

tessa-white-002.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I love both and can't decide which one I like better, I'll take two of each please!

tessa-white-003.jpg

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Never liked a K until I saw that picture. It is very pretty with that setting. I Just love it.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture from the top!

tessa-red-004.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 8:56:48 PM
Author: butterfly 17
Beautiful pear and what a great deal you got! I personally would have Mark Morrell or some other jeweler make me a ring similar to Pookarina''s, I will find the pics and post for you!
i thought about getting a nice custom ring, but really could not get myself to pay so much for it since the stone was so cheap.

my mom wore it for about half a day and got bored with it, so she gave it back to me. she''s so NOT a jewelry person.
20.gif

now i have to figure out what to do with it again. maybe i''ll just resize it and wear it as is. i love the setting, and it''d be a shame to waste it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results