shape
carat
color
clarity

Preggo stuff, Baby Stuff, Toddler Stuff...post your best finds here!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Tacori- Trust me, yours is one of the first lists I consulted! Thank you so much for writing it- it has been (and will continue to be, I'm sure!) a huge help.

rainy- Awesome reviews, thank you! So you found the pack n' play to be the winner?

T, rainy, qti, and neatfreak: I'll definitely take your advice and put the breast pump on the "for after baby" list. It makes sense to wait and see how BFing goes before spending $300, especially when we need other stuff, and lots of it!

In other stuff news, I was talking to DH last night about which stroller we were going to choose. We test drove some a month or so ago, and both really liked the UppaBaby Vista, but the cost had me a bit frazzled. Tonight, after bringing it up again, DH told me to cross it off the list, so apparently, we're the proud parents of a Vista! He won't tell me where it is or who it's from, but I'm glad it's ours (and one less thing to worry about)!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:43:06 PM
Author: mela lu
Buying a bunch of burp cloths on ETSY right now for $3 a pop. Can''t beat it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is one example:

Thanks Lindsay for turning me on to ETSY. I''m hooked!
I have to say, the thing I used most for burp cloths were the non fancy cloth diapers (the ones you would have to fold). My kid had massive spit up from about 3 to 7 months every day and I needed a lot of cloths! Cloth diapers can be pretty cheap for the basic ones.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 11:14:47 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Buying a bunch of burp cloths on ETSY right now for $3 a pop. Can't beat it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is one example:

Thanks Lindsay for turning me on to ETSY. I'm hooked!

I have to say, the thing I used most for burp cloths were the non fancy cloth diapers (the ones you would have to fold). My kid had massive spit up from about 3 to 7 months every day and I needed a lot of cloths! Cloth diapers can be pretty cheap for the basic ones.

Haha! I thought the same thing TGal but didn't want to be a buzz kill. What I used most (and T had MAJOR spit), were flannel receiving blankets (come in a 3 pack, also good for a swaddle) and they are pretty cheap too. See, narrow is NOT better when it comes to spit. The more coverage you have, the more protected you are.

EBree, I second out pack 'n play. We have the Combi DX and it has a removable bassinet which is GREAT. It was like a two in one b/c we set up the p'np downstairs and had the bassinet (comes with a separate stand) on out bedroom. We still use the p'np part for when her friends come over and need to nap or we go on trips.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:09:17 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Date: 3/10/2009 11:14:47 PM

Buying a bunch of burp cloths on ETSY right now for $3 a pop. Can't beat it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is one example:

Thanks Lindsay for turning me on to ETSY. I'm hooked!

Haha! I thought the same thing TGal but didn't want to be a buzz kill. What I used most (and T had MAJOR spit), were flannel receiving blankets (come in a 3 pack, also good for a swaddle) and they are pretty cheap too. See, narrow is NOT better when it comes to spit. The more coverage you have, the more protected you are.

Hehe. Let me thritto that. Or do I get to quadritto since I have two babies?

Anyway, I have some of those adorable ones from Etsy. Couldn't be cuter. BUT the ones I reach for most (and especially when I am wearing real clothes i.e., in public) are the flat fold diapers and flannel ones I was given as shower gifts! They may be ugly but they are the only things that really protect your clothes from spit up.

Those Etsy ones are adorable but just aren't big enough to really protect IMO. Especially when you get the projectile spit up.
3.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
HAHAHA.

NOTED!

In the meantime, I''m going to wrap myself in the delusion that my baby will only have "cute" spit up...cute little burps, requiring cute little cloths.
11.gif

a girl can dream, non?

25.gif
27.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 7:48:20 PM
Author: qtiekiki
Pandora - is it on the ebay london site? When I was searching, they only came up as full price on the US site. That's awesome you got it for half price. I would've gotten it at half price.
I only ever use the UK ebay site - I have to really want something to be bothered with customs and import duties etc

Secondhand is a really big thing in the UK so it's pretty easy to find things. I was amazed when I lived in Italy that there were no such things as Oxfam or charity shops and everything was always bought new. I was told they did exist but only for very poor people
23.gif
- my mother is always meeting my father's colleagues' wives at jumble sales!

The Bloom Fresco's I see around 6 or 7 a week and they tend to sell for around the £170 GBP mark - retail price is around £245. It took me about 8 weeks to get one for just over £100 (just after xmas is often good as most people have no money left so bargains can be snapped up. Lots of people know this though so don't list at that time. I scored because the couple HAD to leave the country at short notice.)

We don't have enough space in our flat for a highchair and a stroller and a swing and a bouncy chair and a pack n' play, so a lot of my research has been based on finding things that are multi-functional . Hence the high-chair is great for us as we can hopefully use it as a crib/bouncy chair/swing substitute for the first 6 months. If you have a big enough house that you will have space for other equipment I can see that the recline to lie-flat feature is probably fairly redundant.

I have no idea what to do on the breast pump side of things at all. Since it now seems likely I may be in hospital for 5+ days after the birth I'll probably talk to them about it. The midwife was saying something to the psych team about getting me onto a good electrical one early - I think they may even hire them.

Just seems a lot of money when you have no idea how that part of you works, if it will work or if it will suit you or the baby....

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora Hi I just wanted to chime in and say that in the u.s. they provide electric pumps at the hospital at your bedside, and give you the little kit that plugs in to the machine. that is yours to keep. then if you need to pump at home, there are many "stores" attatched to hospitals that rent the hospital grade pumps for your home(here it was like 30 bucks a week or maybe less I forget now...)At the beginning according to the experts you need the "strength" of a hospital grade pump especially if baby cannot/does not get on the breast. We just returned ours this week because Tyler is finally feeding on the breast. we researched a bit to get a home pump that was as strong as a hospital grade as I thought I may be pumping forever without breast feeding. No home pump is listed as appropriate for "permanent" pumping but I was told that some women had good luck just using those pumps vs. hospital grade pumps. Medela actually has a website with very informational forums and I found many women in similar situations who were pumping permanently.
My point is I would not buy a pump until you see how things go (like you already said) and what you actually are in need of. I have seen pumps for sale used on ebay but this is not recommended as they cannot be sterilized like the hospital grade ones can, although when you look at the pump, it doesn''t seem like it would be a problem.
We ended up buying the medela freestlye because it can run on rechargable batteries, very light etc and can go hands free(although I found the "hands free attaachment" parts kind of unwieldy and I think I preferred just using a sports bra with little holes cut in it for the pump parts.
hope that was helpful and not too much blabbing. Let me know if I can help in anyway as I just have been through this part...

E B

Ideal_Rock

EBree, I second out pack ''n play. We have the Combi DX and it has a removable bassinet which is GREAT. It was like a two in one b/c we set up the p''np downstairs and had the bassinet (comes with a separate stand) on out bedroom. We still use the p''np part for when her friends come over and need to nap or we go on trips.

Thanks Tacori! Is this the one you have? Combi Travel Solutions Play Yard DX

It looks great- the only thing about it that gives me pause is that apparently, the bassinet only holds up to 15 lbs, and I''d like him next to us a bit longer than that. I feel like if we have a big child, that''ll only cover a couple of weeks to a few months, right? Same with the Graco Pack n'' Play.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I'm starting to research travel cribs (for wkend trips to the beach during the summer). Combo Playards seem a little cumbersome to me if they're primarily used for travel (no need for bassinet,etc). I love the baby bjorn travel crib lite..but $$$$! Any other suggestions?

http://www.babyearth.com/baby-bjorn-travel-crib-light.html

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Janine, why not just get a pack ''n play? We use ours when we travel.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone jog with their kids? The reason I ask is because I jog with Nate (well he runs, I jog) some mornings, but I would like to start taking the twins with us or I would like to jog with them and I wanted recs on a good jogging stroller for twins.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:19:36 PM
Author: pennquaker09
Does anyone jog with their kids? The reason I ask is because I jog with Nate (well he runs, I jog) some mornings, but I would like to start taking the twins with us or I would like to jog with them and I wanted recs on a good jogging stroller for twins.
Two words: Bob Revolution. Do you run pretty hardcore? Then possibly Bob Ironman (which I believe comes in a Duallie too). I would recommend the Revolution since it does have a swivel wheel that locks and is a very versatile stroller. I would only recommend the Ironman (or the other one with the thicker wheels, depending on terrain) if you are a hard core runner and don''t want the front wheel to play in any way.

Trust me - you will love BOB.
1.gif

Janine, I LOVE the little pop up tent that I use. It''s not as good as a crib in the sense they are enclosed, but Amelia has been sleeping in them since she was a wee thing and since is mellow and doesn''t stand up in it or trash around, it''s great. So lightweight and easy to travel with. I linked to it somewhere on this thread. It''s called the Kidco Peapod. The smallest one is only 4 pounds packed up. I bought the bigger one too and have started to use it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

Either BOB or Mountain Buggy. We have a Mountain Buggy I got on sale and it''s awesome, but the BOB I test drove seemed fabulous as well.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:45:14 PM
Author: neatfreak

Either BOB or Mountain Buggy. We have a Mountain Buggy I got on sale and it''s awesome, but the BOB I test drove seemed fabulous as well.
MB is an excellently rated stroller. BOB goes on sale at 20% off at REI from time to time. I am not sure if MB is heavier than BOB, but you can''t go wrong with either, I think.

NF, is the canopy great on the MB? That is a big reason I love BOB.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:47:48 PM

MB is an excellently rated stroller. BOB goes on sale at 20% off at REI from time to time. I am not sure if MB is heavier than BOB, but you can''t go wrong with either, I think.

I think it''s pretty big and nice! I liked both strollers a lot but the choice was made for me because I found the MB for $200 as a return (just had a small ding on the frame.)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 1:06:32 PM

I think it''s pretty big and nice! I liked both strollers a lot but the choice was made for me because I found the MB for $200 as a return (just had a small ding on the frame.)
A MB double for 200 bucks? Girl, that is a SERIOUS deal!!!
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Re: reclining baby chairs...

I found it helpful. We started rice cereal at 5 months. I tried in the bumbo at first. Bad idea. While she could hold her head, she was moving everywhere and it is not easy to get the spoon in the mouth when it''s a moving target! Especially when you are new at it. It was probably not working because she didn''t have head support.

I used the bouncy chair to feed her for a couple of weeks until I got the fisher price space saver. It was so much easier for me to feed her when she was reclined. She stay much more still and her head wasn''t bobbling as much.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:57:04 AM
Author: pavelover
Pandora Hi I just wanted to chime in and say that in the u.s. they provide electric pumps at the hospital at your bedside, and give you the little kit that plugs in to the machine. that is yours to keep. then if you need to pump at home, there are many ''stores'' attatched to hospitals that rent the hospital grade pumps for your home(here it was like 30 bucks a week or maybe less I forget now...)At the beginning according to the experts you need the ''strength'' of a hospital grade pump especially if baby cannot/does not get on the breast. We just returned ours this week because Tyler is finally feeding on the breast. we researched a bit to get a home pump that was as strong as a hospital grade as I thought I may be pumping forever without breast feeding. No home pump is listed as appropriate for ''permanent'' pumping but I was told that some women had good luck just using those pumps vs. hospital grade pumps. Medela actually has a website with very informational forums and I found many women in similar situations who were pumping permanently.
My point is I would not buy a pump until you see how things go (like you already said) and what you actually are in need of. I have seen pumps for sale used on ebay but this is not recommended as they cannot be sterilized like the hospital grade ones can, although when you look at the pump, it doesn''t seem like it would be a problem.
We ended up buying the medela freestlye because it can run on rechargable batteries, very light etc and can go hands free(although I found the ''hands free attaachment'' parts kind of unwieldy and I think I preferred just using a sports bra with little holes cut in it for the pump parts.
hope that was helpful and not too much blabbing. Let me know if I can help in anyway as I just have been through this part...
Thanks pave, that was really helpful!

There''s a bit of an argument going on - due to my having bipolar disorder and therefore having a very high risk of PPD and a 50% chance of PPP, I have a huge care team who will all take it in turns to visit everyday for the first 3 months and maybe longer. Everything has to be decided and organised in advance and a plan drawn up in case I land up very ill at home or in hospital (with the hope that because it''s all been so organised in advance I actually don''t need any of it).

Anyway, we had the major case-conference on Monday morning with all the different departments there and the arguments are because I won''t agree with them on everything. (One of the reasons I have to get as much as possible bought in advance is in case poor DH is left holding the baby literally).

I am insisting on breast-feeding as I want to wean her off the opiates in a kind way and it should make night-feeding easier and less disruptive - maximising my sleep is a major priority as it''s a huge trigger. They advise against because of the meds, but the pain consultant agrees with me and we''ve both done loads of research on the risks and so they have given in.

But... they want DH to do ALL the night feeds - which I totally disagree with as he has to go to work and I think it''s better if only one of us is completely zonked, and I doubt I''d sleep through it anyway. Also if he''s exhausted too it won''t help him look after me. There was quite a row over it - and a lot of them exchanging looks along the ''we will win this battle'' lines...
20.gif
The latest agreement is that we will all see what happens, but they want me to start expressing as early as possible - hence why they are going to make me stay in hospital for so long and hence my hope that the hospital has the human equivalent of a milking machine as I really don''t have a clue otherwise!

It''s really useful to know that most hospitals do and that there really is a difference between ''hospital grade'' and ''home grade'' (will have to check if they do in the UK - you have to bring all your own nappies/wipes/cotton wool/ maternity pads etc here as they don''t give you anything at all after the birth).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:57:04 AM
Author: pavelover
Pandora Hi I just wanted to chime in and say that in the u.s. they provide electric pumps at the hospital at your bedside, and give you the little kit that plugs in to the machine. that is yours to keep. then if you need to pump at home, there are many ''stores'' attatched to hospitals that rent the hospital grade pumps for your home(here it was like 30 bucks a week or maybe less I forget now...)At the beginning according to the experts you need the ''strength'' of a hospital grade pump especially if baby cannot/does not get on the breast. We just returned ours this week because Tyler is finally feeding on the breast. we researched a bit to get a home pump that was as strong as a hospital grade as I thought I may be pumping forever without breast feeding. No home pump is listed as appropriate for ''permanent'' pumping but I was told that some women had good luck just using those pumps vs. hospital grade pumps. Medela actually has a website with very informational forums and I found many women in similar situations who were pumping permanently.
We ended up buying the medela freestlye because it can run on rechargable batteries, very light etc and can go hands free(although I found the ''hands free attaachment'' parts kind of unwieldy and I think I preferred just using a sports bra with little holes cut in it for the pump parts.
Ditto, we rented ours from the hospital for the 3 days I needed it to help get my supply up that first week. I likely won''t buy a pump until much later on.

This is a brilliant idea! I found the double pump annoying because I couldn''t figure out how to hole both pumps, but this would work well I bet!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:39:27 PM

Two words: Bob Revolution. Do you run pretty hardcore? Then possibly Bob Ironman (which I believe comes in a Duallie too). I would recommend the Revolution since it does have a swivel wheel that locks and is a very versatile stroller. I would only recommend the Ironman (or the other one with the thicker wheels, depending on terrain) if you are a hard core runner and don''t want the front wheel to play in any way.

Trust me - you will love BOB.
1.gif
Ditto, our friends who are regular/daily runners have the BOB revolution double one and love it for their two kids. It steers like a dream for a larger stroller and is very lightweight

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:14:11 AM
Author: EBree

EBree, I second out pack ''n play. We have the Combi DX and it has a removable bassinet which is GREAT. It was like a two in one b/c we set up the p''np downstairs and had the bassinet (comes with a separate stand) on out bedroom. We still use the p''np part for when her friends come over and need to nap or we go on trips.

Thanks Tacori! Is this the one you have? Combi Travel Solutions Play Yard DX

It looks great- the only thing about it that gives me pause is that apparently, the bassinet only holds up to 15 lbs, and I''d like him next to us a bit longer than that. I feel like if we have a big child, that''ll only cover a couple of weeks to a few months, right? Same with the Graco Pack n'' Play.
EBree this is why I ended up getting the Arm''s Reach Convertable Mini Co-Sleeper (say that three times fast
3.gif
). It is a co-sleeper, a free-standing bassinet, and a playard, and the basinet holds up to 30 lbs. It also has wheels on one side for easy moving it around As Pandora mentioned, it is very very easy to unfold and fold (perhaps different than the full size that NF has?) and comes in different colours. We got this one and so far I am very happy with it! We also purchased a couple of the bamboo sheets and they are very nice too. We did not get a special/different mattress for it, but we did put an organic cotton change pad that has extra padding and waterproofing underneath the sheet. It is almost a perfect fit.

In the end we did not attach it to our bed but just have it sitting beside the bed. I find it easier this way because I can push the wheeled side away from the bed to get out of bed more easily, a must in the first weeks after having the baby when your stomach muscled are crap! Also easier for BFing since I like to sit on the side of the bed to do this right now.

Anyways, highly recommend it!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 1:50:23 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

EBree this is why I ended up getting the Arm's Reach Convertable Mini Co-Sleeper (say that three times fast
3.gif
).

Perfect, dreamer, thank you! This is likely the route we'll go too. *Adds it to list*

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 1:11:33 PM

36.gif

I KNOW! You know I love a good deal. I thought this was a "too good to be true" thing until my CC had been charged for the correct amount and it showed up on my doorstep 2 days later!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 1:57:27 PM

Date: 3/11/2009 1:11:33 PM

36.gif

I KNOW! You know I love a good deal. I thought this was a ''too good to be true'' thing until my CC had been charged for the correct amount and it showed up on my doorstep 2 days later!
Girl, we''re moms. We ALL love a good deal!

But that is really excellent!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

In the end we did not attach it to our bed but just have it sitting beside the bed. I find it easier this way because I can push the wheeled side away from the bed to get out of bed more easily, a must in the first weeks after having the baby when your stomach muscled are crap! Also easier for BFing since I like to sit on the side of the bed to do this right now.

Oooh, I was wondering about this.

It seems a total faff trying to tie the wretched thing to the bed - and it doesn''t seem to move that much without a definite attempt to move it - it''s currently set up in the spare room and DH''s camera appears to have moved in
20.gif
which weighs about as much as a newborn.

We have minimal space in our bedroom and since I have a chest of drawers next to my bed anyway that we will need to get in and out of daily - it means it won''t be level with the headboard of our bed to start with and will mean shufffling down the bed to get out at the bottom.

Do you find it moves a lot if you are just putting Hunter in and out of it? Are you using it with one side lowered? And do you put the brakes on the wheels?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Used Breast pumps....GROSS!

melu, cute baby spit...oh you are so funny. Haha. It is amazing how large the bodily fluids are that come out of little, itty bitty babies.

Ebree, the bassinet feature is for 15 lbs but I don''t think T reached that until 8 months or so. We kept her in it for 4 months and then moved her in her crib (which was the best thing we could have done AND probably will do it sooner next go around). I think the P''np is for like 35lbs or something. She is about 23-24 (guessing) at 16 months. My neighbor''s 4 year old is 39 lbs and I CANNOT imagine a child that old using it. Haha. You could used the p''np part in your room if baby outgrows the bassinet and you still want to co-sleep. Plus I liked that it wasn''t cheesy looking. Neutral is always good.

Penn, my neighbor has the BOB double and even though I have never ran with it I do LOVE pushing it! Oh, that thing is such a great stroller.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 2:50:16 PM

melu, cute baby spit...oh you are so funny. Haha. It is amazing how large the bodily fluids are that come out of little, itty bitty babies.

So true Tacori. So true.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Tgal, Tacori, neatfreak you all are awesome (as you are everyday). I hope I didn''t miss anyone. I guess I need to look up a BOB.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
penn, I know she got it when REI had their 20% off (which I think is around now). It only comes in a few colors. She has the orange one. It pushes like a dream. SO much better than my crappy Chicco (single). If I had twins or kids close in age it would be mine!

ETA: a few of our friends are SERIOUS runners and they have the single BOB.

ETA 2: Luckily NONE of it seems quite so gross when it comes out of your own kid.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 2:35:06 PM
Author: Pandora II

Oooh, I was wondering about this.

It seems a total faff trying to tie the wretched thing to the bed - and it doesn''t seem to move that much without a definite attempt to move it - it''s currently set up in the spare room and DH''s camera appears to have moved in
20.gif
which weighs about as much as a newborn.

We have minimal space in our bedroom and since I have a chest of drawers next to my bed anyway that we will need to get in and out of daily - it means it won''t be level with the headboard of our bed to start with and will mean shufffling down the bed to get out at the bottom.

Do you find it moves a lot if you are just putting Hunter in and out of it? Are you using it with one side lowered? And do you put the brakes on the wheels?
It doesn''t move at all! And I haven''t locked the wheels (bad mommy!). I think when he is bigger we will need to be a little more safety conscious. And we have carpet, I think it would move more on wood. We have one side down and it isn''t level with the headboard, because I have a bedside table. What we do is have the immobile legs at the head end and they are pushed as far towards the bedside table as they can get. Then, to get in and out of bed and BF etc I just reach down and push the wheeled end away from the bed... reverse to get it back snug next to the bed. Works great so far!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results