shape
carat
color
clarity

Precision Gem Ruby - Time for Setting

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A while back - I managed to snap up a gorgeous ruby when Gene posted it online. Details here:

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/gene-s-newest-stones-precision-gem-t215428-60.html

A natural ruby, cut by Gene. I am extremely happy and just a touch smug that I managed to snag it before anyone else.

I had the stone sent to Erica at Love Affair Diamonds to do the setting.

I hummed and hawed about how I wanted it set - which was a bit tricky because I hadn't seen it in real life.

Finally, I had Erica send it to me in Dubai so I could check it out for myself.

And it's lovely. Really, really lovely. Gorgeous colour - more red in real life than it showed on my monitor and the inclusions are incredibly well hidden, as per Gene's description. My daughter said it looks like "lightning" when the light catches the centre of the stone.

Still no closer to knowing what setting I wanted but definitely in love with the stone, it was sent by Fedex back to Erica from Dubai - which was such a drama, it deserves a thread all of its own. I certainly shan't be sending any more jewellery from here, although receiving it is not a problem. Weird.

Now it is back in Erica's capable hands and so begins the setting journey. We are thinking a halo with a combination of French Cuts and rounds or maybe Baguettes and rounds. Platinum? Maybe a bit of yellow gold? It has to bling but still ensure the ruby is the star of the show.

It's all very exciting. I will keep you posted.

_38075.jpg

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
It's so beautiful I'm not sure how you can stand sending it back. However , the prospect of having it beautifully set must help! Look forward to the adventure!

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
What I do when I want to design something is create a collection of pictures of things I kind of like. I then analyze what I like and don't like about a design, even if it doesn't result in a design, a designer can look at my notes and understand my thinking. Often times a customer and designer have trouble conveying ideas, shown in pictures, the communications process is simplified.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
blingobsession I'm excited to follow this. I also got one of gene's unheated winza's ( a smaller 5.2 mm round) I am glad you got to see it in person and appreciate the color and glow. Enjoy the design process and keep us informed along the way!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wordie - it was hard to send it back but I've had lots of bad luck setting rubies - including a gorgeous Roger Dery one that the setter badly chipped - twice - so I wanted to make sure someone I trusted set this one. There's not much chance I'll be getting a third ruby if this goes wrong.

NSMike - you are right - inspiration pics are great way to whittle down the vast array of ideas I had. Here are some of my inspiration pics on which I'm just focusing on the halo:

I liked this idea - with the square and round stones in the halo...

Which is the same theme with this setting:

This is one Erica found for me - with French Cut Traps North/South/East/West and she suggested two rows of diamonds to follow the shape of my stone which I'm really rather taken with:

I do know that I want the basket to sit away from my finger so I can wear my bands with it. I want the halo for finger coverage but I don't want it to overshadow the ruby. I don't think I want it bezeled as I'm afraid it might darken the stone. I'd like diamonds down the band, I think but that's still up for debate. Metal colour - still haven't decided whether it will be all platinum or a mix of yellow gold and platinum.

Erica is now working on some design options based on the things I like.

I'll come back with updates.

ruby_setting_idea_3.jpg

ruby_setting_idea_0.jpg

ruby_setting_idea_2.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a huge fan of Radiant cut, however the OP's Ruby is a beautiful stone, thanks for sharing! :love:

How about a 3-stone ring with two trillions?

I purchased a modified EC cut blue green Tourmaline from Gene and this is the setting I have in mind for it:

emerald-cut-engagement-rings-vintage.jpg

I may modify the design by having an air line/gap halo with the 4 larger RB diamond hugging/touching the centre stone, if you know what I mean.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results