shape
carat
color
clarity

Precision Gem Lab Sapphire

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Pricescopers!

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure if it's allowed in colored stones.

Do any of you have lab sapphires from Precision Gem? If so, do you think that the color is too dark to be set in a bezel?
Also, do you have any suggestions for lab sapphires that are mid blue to lighter blue?

Thanks!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello Pricescopers!

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure if it's allowed in colored stones.

Do any of you have lab sapphires from Precision Gem? If so, do you think that the color is too dark to be set in a bezel?
Also, do you have any suggestions for lab sapphires that are mid blue to lighter blue?

Thanks!

I don’t have one from Precision Gems..I do have a beautiful blue lab sapphire from Stag & Finch..I had them round out the points from one of their sapphires because I just loved the color. I’m wearing it now. The photo doesn’t do it justice..I love it..
0E50BF88-BFD4-4B47-856E-14960723B0D9.jpeg

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have one from Precision Gem yet. Hopefully someday! But I also have one from Stag and Finch since you asked for suggestions! It was supposed to be the lightest Arctic blue they had but the rough decided it wanted to be a lighter version of their mid colour blue periwinkle instead and I was not interested in trying again so I took it anyway. Have tried to attach a file but not sure if it will show up? So ive gone in and attached an old picture just in case. 816232

It tends to spend a lot of time looking like that colour lol.

Ol-Blue

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have one from Precision Gems..I do have a beautiful blue lab sapphire from Stag & Finch..I had them round out the points from one of their sapphires because I just loved the color. I’m wearing it now. The photo doesn’t do it justice..I love it..
0E50BF88-BFD4-4B47-856E-14960723B0D9.jpeg

Oh wow! I love this!
What is this color called??

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Hi @BoulderGal ! Unfortunately I don't have a blue lab sapphire myself so no pics from me, but just wanted to put a good word in for :

1. Gene (Precision Gem) - His cutting is stunning and I've found his site photos to be very close to real-life colours. He has a lab blue sapphire on his Instagram. I purchased an oval lab Padparadscha sapphire from him, but exchanged it (as I realised I wasn't an orangey-Pada girl after all) for an oval lab hot pink sapphire instead. Both were cut outrageously well, brilliant on top of brilliant... Would love to get another gem from him soon!

2. Andrew (AndrewsEnchantedGems) - Andrew is an absolute dream to work with. He cut an oval lab blush pink sapphire for me and it is gorgeous—I will say, however, that I think I prefer Gene's oval design a bit more, but that's just design, not the skill. Both are top-notch cutters. Andrew recently cut a lab blue sapphire and the post is up on his Instagram page if you want to have a look @andrewsenchantedgems. He uses "real life" videos and photos so it's very much "what you see is what you get."

Best of luck!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! I love this!
What is this color called??

Thank you! It’s Blue Grey YAG.. That’s the only name I know. It’s in the Sirius cut but I asked for it to be perfectly round instead of having the points. It’s more beautiful in person than I can capture in a photo.

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
Ok..This one is more realistic. I take horrible photos!
AE032319-B6A3-4C0E-AFCF-29A23FEE16C1.jpeg

This is gorgeous! YAG is a lab created type of garnet, though, and not a sapphire. It makes a lovely gem and I've got several of them waiting to be set.

@BoulderGal I have several of Gene's sapphires and they are fantastic, but I don't have a blue one (yet.) This page shows a lot of pictures of blue gems that Gene has sold, including several lab created spinels and sapphires. This one shows a couple of blue sapphire rings using Gene's lab sapphires. Whether the gem would be 'too dark' in a bezel or not depends very much on how dark you like your sapphires.

Gene is super knowledgeable and accessible and I'd recommend emailing him to ask.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is gorgeous! YAG is a lab created type of garnet, though, and not a sapphire. It makes a lovely gem and I've got several of them waiting to be set.

@BoulderGal I have several of Gene's sapphires and they are fantastic, but I don't have a blue one (yet.) This page shows a lot of pictures of blue gems that Gene has sold, including several lab created spinels and sapphires. This one shows a couple of blue sapphire rings using Gene's lab sapphires. Whether the gem would be 'too dark' in a bezel or not depends very much on how dark you like your sapphires.

Gene is super knowledgeable and accessible and I'd recommend emailing him to ask.

@rosethorn I got so confused when you said a YAG is a garnet that I thought I confused it with a garnet that I also bought from him at a different time. Then I realized that was definitely a natural garnet...He’s based in Canada..I don’t know if they call it a YAG but it has a different meaning? I looked back at my emails..I referred to it many times as a sapphire..He never corrected me. Now I don’t know what it is..lol

*Edited to say that I purchased a lab garnet..YAG..I went back to look at the website…I wonder why he never corrected me. Oh well..It’s pretty! :lol:

Last edited:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Very very fine cutting. I have a lab pink sapphire from Gene. You don’t find natural gems with such level of cut everyday.

If you are looking for more predictable colour with decent size. Lab stone is definitely a choice. Enjoy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results