shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre-owned Gelin Abaci tension setting

MidwifeB

Rough_Rock
I have wanted this GA setting for years for a really fabulous oval sapphire that I have. Gelin Abaci is out of business, but I found a pre-owned version for sale online. If I buy it, how likely is it I'll be able to find someone, preferably local, to set it? And if I wanted to size it up by like 1/4 of a size (no more), is it possible? There is a jeweler in town who is a Steven Kretchmer dealer...I'm waiting to hear back from them. No idea if they'd set a stone into a setting by "the competition" even if that competition is now defunct. I'd appreciate hearing any insight or similar experiences anyone has. Thank you!
gelin-abaci-engagement-ring-tr167.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have wanted this GA setting for years for a really fabulous oval sapphire that I have. Gelin Abaci is out of business, but I found a pre-owned version for sale online. If I buy it, how likely is it I'll be able to find someone, preferably local, to set it? And if I wanted to size it up by like 1/4 of a size (no more), is it possible?
gelin-abaci-engagement-ring-tr167.jpg
No, all tension settings are custom made for that particular stone. You can't resize a tension setting.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boone Rings may or may not be happy to set a stone in a tension setting if you can't find anywhere local - you'd have to drop him a line to check.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boone Rings may or may not be happy to set a stone in a tension setting if you can't find anywhere local - you'd have to drop him a line to check.
Last I checked he still sets customer stones and he's a super nice guy!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last I checked he still sets customer stones and he's a super nice guy!
He setted my CBI stone. I purchased the setting from Boone. Let me repeat again....you can't resize a tension setting. IOW, a pre-owned tension setting is useless, and AFAIK there are only a handful of jewelers who can set a stone into a tension setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results