shape
carat
color
clarity

Potential Project...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think the cut is really interesting.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 4:04:33 PM
Author: oddoneout
I think the cut is really interesting.
I thought so too, this stone is growing on me more and more...

audball

Ideal_Rock
Chrono and other colored stone experts
21.gif

I was reading more about colored gems today and saw a lot of things questioned in another thread and wonder if they''re things I need at address with this stone. Since I don''t really know what I''m looking at/for, I thought maybe you guys could help!

Extra pictures were recommended in a side view to see if the culet is off center and also to help spot color zoning and other inclusions not vieweable from the table....is this a concern for this stone? The profile picture makes it seem like the culet is centered and with VVS clarity, I didn''t think I needed to worry much about visible inclusions...

What is extinction? Someone mentioned asking about how much extinction the stone has and not being willing to accept a stone with more that 20% extinction, but preferably less. Any concerns on this stone with extinction?

Windows is something people keep talking about as well. I think it means being able to see the skin/hand/setting through the stone? The top view picture seems like I can''t see through the stone, but I don''t really know what I''m looking for. Are there windows I need to be concerned about? Do I need to ask the vendor this question directly?

Color and undertones, I''ve read that gray and brown are bad and that it needs to be clarified. When I asked about color before he''d said it is yellow in almost all lighting conditions except that it picks up a VERY slight green undertone in incandescent light. I actually liked the sound of that, is it something to be concerned with? He mentioned nothing about gray or brown...

Any concerns about integrity of this stone with VVS clarity? Someone mentioned ensuring good clarity in order to be safe to set and wear.

Any other concerns or things I need to ask/look for? I didn''t realize there was so much to consider...

HELP!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you haven''t, read THIS article, and (as always when it comes to gems) observe, observe and observe some more. Look at photos or youtube videos to try to spot things that are not right (or that are super right), compare gems for shades of color, levels of brilliance, explore different cutting styles to see which you like and why you like them. If you do all that, soon you''ll be much more secure about your choices and hopefully know exactly what you''re after.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too have been looking at Chrysoberyl lately and Sapphire. Both are very hard and very suitable for wearing as a ring.

I think that you will be pleased by the cutting on the stone you have reserved. I would expect there to be no window and no structural problems with that clarity of stone.

Sorry about your origional ring. Good Luck in your search!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2009 10:18:01 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
I too have been looking at Chrysoberyl lately and Sapphire. Both are very hard and very suitable for wearing as a ring.

I think that you will be pleased by the cutting on the stone you have reserved. I would expect there to be no window and no structural problems with that clarity of stone.

Sorry about your origional ring. Good Luck in your search!!
Thanks!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2009 2:43:34 AM
Author: ma re
If you haven''t, read THIS article, and (as always when it comes to gems) observe, observe and observe some more. Look at photos or youtube videos to try to spot things that are not right (or that are super right), compare gems for shades of color, levels of brilliance, explore different cutting styles to see which you like and why you like them. If you do all that, soon you''ll be much more secure about your choices and hopefully know exactly what you''re after.
Thanks!

audball

Ideal_Rock
New photos from Jeff in different lighting conditions. Opinions? Concerns?

First up, natural/outdoor light.

chryso outside.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Fluorescent light

chryso fluorescent jw.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Incandescent light

chryso incandescent.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Comments about the photos from Jeff:

"Here are "hand shots" of the stone in natural light, incandescent, and fluoresent. My white balance isn''t perfect in each of these, but they should give you some idea. The only one that isn''t very representative is the incandescent shot, which seems to imply some kind of weird tan color, which isn''t there at all. The natural light shot and the fluoresent shot are pretty close. The fluorescent shot is probably closest of all, and the yellow shown there is pretty close to what you''ll see in most lights. Hope this helps! This is a very bright, flashy stone, so even in a dimly-lit room, it should still put on a show ;-)"

Any concerns about anything?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great! I was going to mention the brown in the incandescent shot but he addressed that in his comments.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no concerns about a Jeff stone HOWEVER, you are used to Emeralds. Chrysoberyl is a very different gemstone and nearly always has hints (or even more) of yellow. It''s a more "acid" looking gemstones - poor description - whereas Emeralds are a warmer, silky rich colour. That''s not to say that all Chrysoberyls are like that but the one from Jeff is on the yellow spectrum.

Chrysoberyl''s sister, Alexandrite, is much much much more like an Emerald BUT if you''re looking for a decent size, clarity and colour change (it colour changes from Emerald green in daylight to an Amethyst purple in the evenings) it will cost you mega $$$$$.

Chrysoberyl is very durable BUT even the hardest of gemstones i.e. diamonds, sapphires etc., will crack, break, chip if hit in the wrong direction or worn every day without care.

In terms of Emeralds - are you aware that hot water can crack an Emerald? If you''ve worn your ring for 4 years without taking it off and only have 4 chips you''re very lucky indeed.

If you know you''re going to wear your ring every day all day, I suggest that you pick a setting that protects whichever gemstone you buy the best. So, for example, if you bezel set a stone, it is less likely to suffer chips to the girdle etc.

Have you looked at Chrome Diopside? It''s about the same durability as an Emerald but much more affordable.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2009 7:54:35 AM
Author: Kismet
I think it looks great! I was going to mention the brown in the incandescent shot but he addressed that in his comments.
Thanks!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2009 8:13:30 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I have no concerns about a Jeff stone HOWEVER, you are used to Emeralds. Chrysoberyl is a very different gemstone and nearly always has hints (or even more) of yellow. It''s a more ''acid'' looking gemstones - poor description - whereas Emeralds are a warmer, silky rich colour. That''s not to say that all Chrysoberyls are like that but the one from Jeff is on the yellow spectrum.

Chrysoberyl''s sister, Alexandrite, is much much much more like an Emerald BUT if you''re looking for a decent size, clarity and colour change (it colour changes from Emerald green in daylight to an Amethyst purple in the evenings) it will cost you mega $$$$$.

Chrysoberyl is very durable BUT even the hardest of gemstones i.e. diamonds, sapphires etc., will crack, break, chip if hit in the wrong direction or worn every day without care.

In terms of Emeralds - are you aware that hot water can crack an Emerald? If you''ve worn your ring for 4 years without taking it off and only have 4 chips you''re very lucky indeed.

If you know you''re going to wear your ring every day all day, I suggest that you pick a setting that protects whichever gemstone you buy the best. So, for example, if you bezel set a stone, it is less likely to suffer chips to the girdle etc.

Have you looked at Chrome Diopside? It''s about the same durability as an Emerald but much more affordable.
True, I am used to emeralds, but I''m pretty new to gemstones in general (emerald is all I''ve ever owned) and am totally open to something different. This particular chrysoberyl is very yellow and Jeff said that it really has no hints of green whatsoever (other than VERY VERY slight undertones in incandescent light, but that would go unnoticed by most). I have read about Alexandrite and think that it''s very pretty, but you''re right, to match this size and clarity we''re talking $$ and I don''t know that we''re prepared to spend that much on this project. This ring is not for an engagement ring and is more or less an ''upgrade'' on our commitment ring/promise ring/whatever you''d like to call it. Chrysoberyl intrigued me due to it''s durability and affordability in the size we were looking at, and of course, I know I still have to be careful. We are looking to get a bezel setting this time and set much lower than my current ring (4 prongs, 9.5mm off the finger...) so both will help. I also know A LOT more about the care of jewelry now that I did when I received my current ring and plan on taking more care to taking it off for sleeping, showering, and dishes. I was not aware that hot water could crack an emerald, so that''s good to know...I take very hot showers. I have worn this ring for 3 solid years (received it for our 1 year anniversary) and have 2 chips, one on the north side and one on the south side. The facets are pretty worn down as well. I have looked at chrome diopside, chrome tourmaline, peridot, and every stone I''ve found that comes in green, but they''re either as soft or softer than emeralds or pricey (green sapphires). So we''re looking at yellow or pink as a replacement stone that will compliment the green I wear elsewhere. Probably yellow chrysoberyl or pink spinel, this one just popped up on our search first.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Jeff White cut stone will have NO window and the culet will be well centered. From the picture attached, I do not see much extinction. The scintallation balance is good. All in all, a superbly cut stone. Based on the 2 pictures, I see a yellow stone with hints of green. All in all, I expect the picture to be reasonably accurate with regards to what one might expect to see in person.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 5:17:10 PM
Author: Chrono
A Jeff White cut stone will have NO window and the culet will be well centered. From the picture attached, I do not see much extinction. The scintallation balance is good. All in all, a superbly cut stone. Based on the 2 pictures, I see a yellow stone with hints of green. All in all, I expect the picture to be reasonably accurate with regards to what one might expect to see in person.
Thanks Chrono! I really appreciate your input. We''ve decided to bring it in to have a look, but it won''t be until after next week as we''ll be out of town for Thanksgiving and we want to take full advantage of the one week inspection period and see how S and I really feel about this stone.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and opinions! I will keep you all posted on the progress of this project. You all rock
2.gif
36.gif

audball

Ideal_Rock
Stone was ordered/paid for this morning. Hopefully he can get it sent out today or tomorrow so I can have a ton of pics for you all sometime next week!

SOOOO EXCITED!!!
31.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good! I look forward to hearing your opinion on the stone. I haven''t seen Chrysoberyl IRL and am attracted to it for it''s durability and sparkle and color.

Don''t be shy post alot of photos and tell us what you think!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Stone Hunter! I will definitely post a ton of pictures! Jeff said it would be shipped out first thing Monday morning and that I should receive it Wednesday or Thursday. My last final is Wednesday night so that would be a super exciting end of the semester present!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results