shape
carat
color
clarity

Post-wedding weight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 8:05:54 PM
Author: kittybean
Okay, so I''m totally, ridiculously, absurdly swamped at work, but I had to respond to this--I have definitely gained 5-7 pounds since the wedding =(. It''s really odd, because not much has changed. DH and I lived together for a year before the wedding, and we kind of had the meal thing figured out, and I wasn''t gaining or losing weight.

Now, suddenly, my clothes are a little tighter. It''s strange, because when I look in the mirror, I don''t see anything ''extra,'' but it''s definitely there (unless my clothes all conspired to shrink in the dryer one day). Maybe my metabolism has slowed?

I''m not really one for working out, but maybe I''ll have to start once I get over this bout of bronchitis I''ve had recently. [Sigh.]

Anyway, Pils, you''re definitely not alone! It''s awesome that you''re thinking about this already--clearly I should have six months ago. Awareness is probably a big part of the equation.
This is my biggest fear about turning 30 in a few years. I just have this feeling that my metabolism is going to go downhill fast
38.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 8:08:02 PM
Author: elrohwen

Maybe my metabolism has slowed?
This is my biggest fear about turning 30 in a few years. I just have this feeling that my metabolism is going to go downhill fast
38.gif
Ugh. I just turned 26. I should be too young for this, right?

Why, why, why do cookies (and candy and cake and ice cream) have to be so delicious?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I wasn''t worried, in fact didn''t even know that was common, but here I am three months post wedding feeling like a cow and avoiding the scale like the plague.

I started working out and eating clean this week and it''s helping me feel better. We''ll see next week if it''s paying off when I step on the scale.
9.gif

chibride10

Rough_Rock
I totally agree----I''ve been avoiding the scale like crazy! And there were all these restaurants/foods I''d been avoiding before the wedding that I just HAD to have after. It''s definitely time to get it back together

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
well, I haven''t gained any weight (I''ve been married for only 4 months), but I did purchase a treadmill in Feb to get in shape for my wedding in Sep. I have to say it really helped! though I didn''t see my weight really go down, I got rid of some of my fat rolls and looked slimmer. so I am still on the treadmill every week day morning. but you guys are absolutely right that when you work out you tend to be more hungry and it''s hard to stick to healthy choices. damn, I think I''m craving MacDonald''s right now!

but the moral of the story is... really try and get some exercise if you already don''t. though you might not see much difference on the scale, it will be much healthier for you, good for your heart, helps your blood flow (which is good if you are someone who is often cold), helps regulate bowel movements, and is probably one of the best decisions if you are TTC.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Speeeaking of metabolism...

um, yes. Ever since around 24-25, I have almost entirely lost my ability to easily lose weight--anyone else experience that? It used to be that I''d eat lightly for a couple of days and I''d spring back to where I was...but no more! Now it takes serious calorie/carb-counting for months to see a difference!

I think my biggest hurdle with all this is that I was always around the same (heavier) weight...for many, many years...and then for my wedding I lost a bunch, and I REALLY want to stay around what I was at my wedding. It was an outlier few months for me weightwise, but I want it to be my base point now...does that make sense?

BIG HUGS for all of you--I''m so glad we have this resource to support one another and see that we''re not alone in this!
1.gif

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 2:35:43 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Yes. No one told me that with marriage comes 10-15 lbs! I''m really struggling to lose it now. I know it''s not a lot, but I''m up at least one size, 2 in some lines. It''s so depressing and I''m not sure why I''ve gained. My habits haven''t changed at all really. If anything I''m working out more (and no it''s not muscle), but I''ve not seen any progress in how my clothes fit or on the scale. **le sigh**
I am in HH''s boat. I am totally frustrated right now! I usually work out at least 2-3 times a week, but if I don''t (even though I am really observent of my food choices) I blow up! I find myself having to work out 4-5 times per week just to keep my current weight.

Since we have been married in June of 2009, my weight has been all over the place. Right after the wedding and honeymoon, I of course gained a few pouns b/c of the all-inclusive week of fabulousness. Then, my husband was deployed the first week of July. From then until he came back the end of Oct/Nov, I lost a few pounds, but more importantly toned up. I felt great about it until he showed up and had lost about 30 pounds. He was too skinny for him, so he was happy to pack on a few pounds during the holidays. Meanwhile, I gained back the measly 5 lbs I lost while he was gone plus another 5, UGH!
29.gif

Anyway, vent over now...Going forward, I am going to continue to work out and eat right, but I agree with other posters that having a goal is good too. My DH and I are training for another half marathon at the end of Feb, and then will keep the momentum going with another race in April. So hopefully, that will keep my to a very strigent training schedule and these bothersome pounds will hit the road!
20.gif

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Wow so much of this strikes a cord. My DH is 6''6" and maybe, MAYBE 180lbs. Skinny minny if you''ve seen our wedding pics.... however he can EAT. My whole family jokes that he has a hollow leg because we have no idea where he puts the food! I mean second and thirds.... I''ve probably gained 30lbs since meeting him (13 years), while some of that was getting out of my teens and not being 100lbs soaking wet, but most of it is because he eats, so I eat too.... urg.

So I know how you all feel! I''m there too!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 11:07:02 AM
Author: alli_esq

um, yes. Ever since around 24-25, I have almost entirely lost my ability to easily lose weight--anyone else experience that? It used to be that I''d eat lightly for a couple of days and I''d spring back to where I was...but no more! Now it takes serious calorie/carb-counting for months to see a difference!

I think my biggest hurdle with all this is that I was always around the same (heavier) weight...for many, many years...and then for my wedding I lost a bunch, and I REALLY want to stay around what I was at my wedding. It was an outlier few months for me weightwise, but I want it to be my base point now...does that make sense?

BIG HUGS for all of you--I''m so glad we have this resource to support one another and see that we''re not alone in this!
1.gif

What you''re saying makes complete sense. I was a size 12 for so long and my body really loves being a size 12. It''s very easy for me to go from a 6 to a 12 in no time.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 8:19:41 PM

38.gif

Why, why, why do cookies (and candy and cake and ice cream) have to be so delicious?
I am just about to turn 28, and I would probably add myself to the list of slower metabolism chics. I had always struggled with keeping slim, but taking 4 months to loose 4 pounds and gaining 10 in one month is ridiculous!

Don''t we all want to be men who can eat whatever the want...ahhh...nice dreams...
39.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
This metabolism-slowing business is so foreign to me. I''ve always been really tiny (and still am, just not quite as tiny as I was), but I''ve also always eaten whatever I want, as in cake for breakfast and ice cream for dinner if I really felt like it. I realize that''s unhealthy in a number of ways, but it''s never had any weight-related consequences with me.

It''s nice to be able to talk about it, because whenever I mention something IRL, the person listening just rolls their eyes and laughs and assures me I''ll never have to worry about my weight.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 11:07:02 AM
Author: alli_esq

1.gif
I''ve heard that you need to maintain your new weight for at least a year for that to become your new baseline (it might even be longer than that). Your body definitely likes to stay at a certain weight and that''s why so many people gain it all back. It''s tough to lose weight and then force your body to stay at that same weight for a long time!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 4:22:20 PM
This metabolism-slowing business is so foreign to me. I''ve always been really tiny (and still am, just not quite as tiny as I was), but I''ve also always eaten whatever I want, as in cake for breakfast and ice cream for dinner if I really felt like it. I realize that''s unhealthy in a number of ways, but it''s never had any weight-related consequences with me.

It''s nice to be able to talk about it, because whenever I mention something IRL, the person listening just rolls their eyes and laughs and assures me I''ll never have to worry about my weight.

Having met you IRL, I can totally see this happening to you! But whether someone usually ways 90lbs, 150lbs, or 250lbs, unexpected weight gain is still unexpected weight gain. We all want to be our best selves, and no woman wants to buy a brand new wardrobe because she packed on an extra 10lbs. It''s not so much about being overweight/underweight as being heavier than the our own personal averages. As an average-sized woman I don''t really get the rolling-eyes/laughing response, but I feel bad for small-boned women who do. Of course you''re not going to gain 300 pounds overnight... or EVER, for that matter... but you''re allowed to wish, hope & strive to maintain your current size for as long as humanly possible!

Though DH & I don''t have plans to TTC for years & years, I know that I want to be in the best shape possible pre-baby. Otherwise, after my first pregnancy, it will be 10x harder to be in primo shape. So that''s a long, long-term goal, I guess. In the short term? Hmmm... vacations? I don''t know. Bathing suits don''t motivate me all that much
3.gif
Plus, I do NOT want to diet. At all. I just want to live healthfully and let the post-wedding poundage melt off at a slow pace. I''m in no rush. I just want to stop the gaining.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 4:22:20 PM
This metabolism-slowing business is so foreign to me. I've always been really tiny (and still am, just not quite as tiny as I was), but I've also always eaten whatever I want, as in cake for breakfast and ice cream for dinner if I really felt like it. I realize that's unhealthy in a number of ways, but it's never had any weight-related consequences with me.

It's nice to be able to talk about it, because whenever I mention something IRL, the person listening just rolls their eyes and laughs and assures me I'll never have to worry about my weight.
Ugh, I get this too. I'm quite tall, so even though my weight is a relatively high number, people often tell me how skinny I am (also only gain in my stomach, so my arms always look scrawny
3.gif
). They even think I'm a size 4 when I'm bulging out of my 8s right now. At work, if there was bday cake and I would refuse to have any, people would say "Oh, you don't need to lose weight! Eat cake!" Blech, I don't like grocery store birthday cake and I don't really need all of the extra calories. Thanks though
20.gif

It definitely bugs me when people put down others for wanting to lose weight. Maybe if I just told them what I actually weighed they would be more sympathetic (people assume I'm 15-20lbs less than I am; which isn't a bad thing I guess).

Everyone has a weight that they feel most comfortable at - I've been that weight, but right now I'm 10lbs over that weight. Me wanting to lose 10lbs doesn't mean I have body image issues. And staying on top of a slowing metabolism is definitely the right thing to do! It's the people who don't recognize it and stay on top of it that balloon up 100lbs in their 30s and 40s.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 2:38:10 PM
Author: dcgator
Date: 1/5/2010 8:19:41 PM

38.gif

I am just about to turn 28, and I would probably add myself to the list of slower metabolism chics. I had always struggled with keeping slim, but taking 4 months to loose 4 pounds and gaining 10 in one month is ridiculous!

Don''t we all want to be men who can eat whatever the want...ahhh...nice dreams...
39.gif

Another post wedding gainer here. I had been blaming the wedding, the vacation, and the holidays. But, now I will blame that I waited until I was 32 to get married. (Because I cannot blame myself and my overeating, duh). I started Weight Watchers on Monday. No loss yet, just a lot of hanger, but I am hopeful.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Katamari - Good luck with weight watchers. Not to plug ''em, but I lost 25 pounds with them. It''s a great program and if you stick with it, you will see results. And don''t be frustrated by the first few weeks. It took me almost a month to loose a couple pounds. That being said, WW is more about setting up healthy living/eating so don''t expect the typical "lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks" diet spiel. Just focus on the long term benefits
2.gif

Jena17

Shiny_Rock
I hear you girls! I got married in October and have gained 15 pounds since then, and I think a majority of it was this last month. I haven''t really changed that much to have gained that much weight in 3 months either! I went off of BC Pills in October and I was on those for 10 years. I really think it has a lot to do with my hormones, but I really need to get it under control cause my pants are getting tight and I can''t have that! My DH thinks I am crazy and I shouldn''t worry about it cause he loves me and thinks I am beautiful no matter what and it is hard to explain it to him how I feel. I am not a Big woman at all but I am short and 15 pounds makes a huge difference and I feel "fat". Anyone have that problem with going off of BC pills??? I am now getting back onto a better workout schedule and really watching what I eat to see if it helps!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Jena, I got married in Oct. too
3.gif
I started measuring my portions last week and I''m already starting to feel better, we''ll see if I stick to it and if I lose weight. I haven''t stepped on the scale yet, but I''ve lost almost a half inch from my waist (probabyl just bloat, but I''ll take it
9.gif

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Hi there, not a NW yet but I wanted to chime in on the "turning 30 and your metabolism" topic. I''m 32 and it''s so true, it slows WAY down! I weigh myself DAILY to keep myself on track because weight tacks on SOOOO fast and it''s harder than ever to lose. I used to be able to lose 5 pounds in a week in my 20''s. I''ve gained about 7 pounds since FI and I started shacking up and now I''m busting my rear to lose it for the wedding!

AND I can relate to the other gals w/ thin men! Doesn''t it suck? They can eat cold pizza, 4 beers and a bag of m&m''s at midnight and don''t gain an ounce and we look at the pizza and gain 5 pounds! Grrrrrr! I swear I''m going to find a way to get men''s metabolism in pill form and I will be a millionaire!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Winelover: If you invent that, you will be a millionnaire! And if you invent it, don''t forget your friends here too
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We both gained on the honeymoon. Three weeks in a foreign country, no access to the food we were used to - not that we would want to eat the same old on a trip like that! We both came home probably 2-4 pounds heavier. Thanksgiving was just a couple of weeks later, then the holidays with family... that was a tough 3 months to recover from!

It's totally normal.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
I have gained 10 lbs since my wedding but I wish that I had been a little heavier back then...I was about 110 lbs (and I am almost 5''7)on my wedding day. The wedding stress killed my appetite and had me a bundle of nerves. I was happy to get back to my normal weight.

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
You can count me in as a member of the club. I gained about 10 lbs during our cruise to Alaska for our honeymoon. For some reason when ever I go on a cruise I gain 10 lbs (I eat waaaay to much). I ususally lose it right away. But instead of getting back on track when returned this time I just kinda keep eatting instead
7.gif
I need to start eatting better and going to the gym more.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I have definitely gained some weight. I know exactly how I gained as well- I''ve definitely been eating more than I ws before the wedding. I''ve kept up my exercise routine as I adore going to the gym but I need to cut down on calories.

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 3:22:07 PM
Author: winelover23
Hi there, not a NW yet but I wanted to chime in on the ''turning 30 and your metabolism'' topic. I''m 32 and it''s so true, it slows WAY down! I weigh myself DAILY to keep myself on track because weight tacks on SOOOO fast and it''s harder than ever to lose. I used to be able to lose 5 pounds in a week in my 20''s. I''ve gained about 7 pounds since FI and I started shacking up and now I''m busting my rear to lose it for the wedding!

AND I can relate to the other gals w/ thin men! Doesn''t it suck? They can eat cold pizza, 4 beers and a bag of m&m''s at midnight and don''t gain an ounce and we look at the pizza and gain 5 pounds! Grrrrrr! I swear I''m going to find a way to get men''s metabolism in pill form and I will be a millionaire!
Oh Boy I hate to depreass you but wait until you turn 40.
WTF
Its like 100 times harder to lose 1 pound.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 3:09:51 PM
Date: 1/5/2010 2:35:43 PM

Author: Hudson_Hawk

Yes. No one told me that with marriage comes 10-15 lbs! I''m really struggling to lose it now. I know it''s not a lot, but I''m up at least one size, 2 in some lines. It''s so depressing and I''m not sure why I''ve gained. My habits haven''t changed at all really. If anything I''m working out more (and no it''s not muscle), but I''ve not seen any progress in how my clothes fit or on the scale. **le sigh**

I just read a great article about how exercising more can actually make you gain, because you end up eating more calories (even if it''s slight). Burning 100-200 calories in a workout and then consuming 400 makes you go the opposite way. Just throwing that out there
2.gif
Clearly you should be a couch potato.

OMG I swear this is true! In college I used to work out like a mad crazy person and eat really healthy, but I ate a lot because I was always hungry. I was 20 lbs heavier than I am now. I was fit and athletic then, and now I live a much less healthy lifestyle but weigh less than I did in hs! So weird. Working at a desk job made me lazy, and since I knew I wasn''t getting exercise, I cut my calories. It''s been a much more effective weight loss strategy, but not a very healthy one considering my meals generally go like this: black coffee for breakfast, soup for lunch, and a glass of wine and some potato chips for dinner
23.gif
Just thought I''d share my experience. This year I''m working on getting some balance back: keeping the weight where it is, but living a more healthy lifestyle.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been married for almost four years now, so not really a newlywed, but definitely not in the other stages yet.
2.gif

My husband and I have been getting fat and happy together. At my lightest, I weighed low 120s and everyone thought I looked a bit underweight, but I thought I looked great - I was a legitimate size 2, and for my height, 5'4", everything looked really toned and strong. At my last weigh-in in September, I had gained 25 lbs. over the past 8 years, and I just realized enough was enough. I had let any of my muscle turn to fat and had no definition left. My husband has sort of relaxed a lot, as well.

W and I started a weight program together in October of last year. Just added cardio into the mix this month, and I can already feel a bit of difference in my clothes. The scale has moved a tiny bit (about 7-10 lbs.), but I can see muscle definition, I feel stronger, and my waist is starting to taper back in a bit. I'm not in smaller clothes yet, but I think that should happen within the next 2 months or so. I'm 34 now (turning 35 this year), so this is taking much more work than it would have 10 years ago. Somewhat frustrating, but at least I have a partner going through all of the same things I am. My goal is 125, lowering my BF by 7% and the ability to bench 150, squat 250 (I'm getting so close!) before we start TTC later this year.

I've been gradually altering my eating habits by portion control and making wise choices during lunch at the office. I admit, that should have probably happened first, but I love my food, and I have so much trouble with this aspect as my parents were always proponents of the clean plate club when I was growing up.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Go Lauren, those are awesome goals (and can''t wait for you to join the pricescope TTC club:)

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 10:20:01 AM
Author: dcgator
Katamari - Good luck with weight watchers. Not to plug ''em, but I lost 25 pounds with them. It''s a great program and if you stick with it, you will see results. And don''t be frustrated by the first few weeks. It took me almost a month to loose a couple pounds. That being said, WW is more about setting up healthy living/eating so don''t expect the typical ''lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks'' diet spiel. Just focus on the long term benefits
2.gif

So far so good, dcgator. It seems like a really good, strong program and I totally find that I am losing so far so long as I follow the rules and keep track of what I eat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results