shape
carat
color
clarity

Post-wedding weight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I really fear that either DH, I or both of us will tack on extra pounds after the wedding... and it will become a slippery, downward slope. Unfortunately, I''ve already started to gain
15.gif
(And I think he has, too.. but shhh)

Anyone in the same boat? Worried about weight gain? Is anyone willing to share if they''ve gained a little already?

I''m up four pounds. Not huge, of course, but enough to make me wish my pants were one size larger... and I refuse to buy new pants! I''m blaming the honeymoon, alcohol consumption, and lack of exercise over the past month. Too bad it takes a lot longer for pounds to come off than it does for pounds to tack on. I refuse to let this become a trend: I want our little family to be healthy and active for as long as we possibly can!

My short-term solution to avoid gaining even more is walking the pup & cooking at home.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Oh FOR SURE!!
We are trying to eat healthier now and are gonna start doing more exercise, including getting some mtn bikes in the spring to check out all the trails
1.gif

For him it''s more about wanting to get in better shape and like how he looks, for me, it''s about being able to conceive better when that time comes
1.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
p.s. welcome to the newlyweds section pilsn!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
ohhhh, yes. We both have put on a few pounds since the wedding--but we had both lost upwards of 20 lbs before the wedding. We''re both starting back on track this week, and I''m confident we can both lose it and more as we go...but it is much harder to lose when I don''t have an EVENT in mind in the future for which I want to look great...maybe another of my friends will get married?
2.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. No one told me that with marriage comes 10-15 lbs! I''m really struggling to lose it now. I know it''s not a lot, but I''m up at least one size, 2 in some lines. It''s so depressing and I''m not sure why I''ve gained. My habits haven''t changed at all really. If anything I''m working out more (and no it''s not muscle), but I''ve not seen any progress in how my clothes fit or on the scale. **le sigh**

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I haven't gained a pound since the wedding, but that's because I did my gaining when we moved in together two years ago
2.gif

We're both very healthy eaters, but my problem is that I just eat too much food. I have to make a big dinner for DH (he has a ridiculous metabolism) and I end up eating too much of it (because I'm such a good cook
3.gif
). When I lived alone, I was ok with just having a small tuna sandwich or cereal for dinner occasionally, but that's not much of an option now with the bottomless pit eating here
20.gif

I gained about 5-7lbs that I still haven't lost (kind of bummed I didn't lose it before the wedding). I'm just bad at losing weight! No will power. My current goal is to drink less, because we got into the habit of having a beer every night and those calories are probably preventing me from losing the weight. At least I'm not gaining anymore - as soon as I realize I'm gaining, I'm able to keep it from getting worse.

ETA: DH is now convinced that he's getting fat
20.gif
and it totally ticks me off. He's so scrawny! Lol. Plus he's been playing less intramural sports since the winter hit - I'm sure the second he's playing 3 times a week again the whole 1/2 lb he gained will fall away. Can you tell I'm jealous
3.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 2:35:43 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Yes. No one told me that with marriage comes 10-15 lbs! I''m really struggling to lose it now. I know it''s not a lot, but I''m up at least one size, 2 in some lines. It''s so depressing and I''m not sure why I''ve gained. My habits haven''t changed at all really. If anything I''m working out more (and no it''s not muscle), but I''ve not seen any progress in how my clothes fit or on the scale. **le sigh**
I just read a great article about how exercising more can actually make you gain, because you end up eating more calories (even if it''s slight). Burning 100-200 calories in a workout and then consuming 400 makes you go the opposite way. Just throwing that out there
2.gif
Clearly you should be a couch potato.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Yep.

It took a couple months after the wedding to break my good eating habits, but once I went back to school and DH started a new job (and got really busy at that job), we stopped cooking and started ordering takeout every night. And eating dessert.
18.gif

We''ve begun cooking again, but it''s tough because DH has been coming home at 9pm, and I get hungry earlier. So I''ll have a snack, and then eat again later. And he''s so ravenous when he gets home that he eats twice as much as usual.

We''ll figure it out eventually. Right?
3.gif
2.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i posted about this subject in the HLT thread- i''ve felt the gain! DH really hasn''t but i for sure have. i decided to grab control of it over the new year, so i''m on a pretty strict plan with myself :) and it helps to post over there just to keep things in check!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Sadly, I gained a few of my lbs back, I mean 7lbs probably is more than a few...
emotion-18.gif
Anyway, I''ve gained that over 4 months and this week I was down two so that really is only 5lbs back. That is what usually happens between Cmas and New Years and its not from food. It''s really just the extra glasses of wine and then not making it an extra day to the gym. Life happens, oh well. They will be off by summer and I''ll call them my winter lbs.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I lost an extra 3 right after the wedding, but it was all muscle lost and replaced by fat.
7.gif
Stopped working out because I was exhausted all the time and stopped eating right because it was too cold.
3.gif
Now I''m up to wedding weight again but no definition. You''d think the thought of being in a bathiing suit in 3 weeks would motivate me...I''m not easily motivated, apparently.
9.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gained around 8lbs
32.gif
I have terrible metabolism because of my PCOS, and the only way I can maintain (maintain, not lose!) my weight is by working out at least 4-5x/week. This including eating well. In October I got sick with the H1N1 and my asthma is only now beginning to get better - so I missed working out alllll this time. Along with all the christmas goodies I''ve been eating...ugghhh. I''m thinking of starting weights this week, move on to light cardio next week and slowly get into my previous work out mode. Blahhh.

And then there''s my husband. Like Elrohwen mentioned, a bottomless eating pit, the guy is scrawny like hell and wants to eat alllll the time. It''s hard to cook lots of yummy meals for him and eat plain jane chicken breast and veggies myself!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 4:34:09 PM
Author: kama_s
And then there''s my husband. Like Elrohwen mentioned, a bottomless eating pit, the guy is scrawny like hell and wants to eat alllll the time. It''s hard to cook lots of yummy meals for him and eat plain jane chicken breast and veggies myself!!
Yes, very difficult. I always say I''ll just have a little plate of whatever I make, but when he''s going up for seconds (with his huge plate) I can''t help getting a little more too. When I lived alone, I would just make a little bit of pasta, or whatever, and eat what I made. When there are no seconds, there''s nothing to tempt you!

Now that DH thinks he''s getting fat, he''s claiming to go down to only one serving per meal - this should help me out too because I''ll be less tempted if he''s not going back for more.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 4:48:40 PM
Author: elrohwen

Yes, very difficult. I always say I''ll just have a little plate of whatever I make, but when he''s going up for seconds (with his huge plate) I can''t help getting a little more too. When I lived alone, I would just make a little bit of pasta, or whatever, and eat what I made. When there are no seconds, there''s nothing to tempt you!

Now that DH thinks he''s getting fat, he''s claiming to go down to only one serving per meal - this should help me out too because I''ll be less tempted if he''s not going back for more.

I''m the exact opposite... My appetite is RIDICULOUS! I almost never, ever feel full. One of the only times was on Christmas while honeymooning- I nearly threw up after dinner because I ate so much. Disgusting. I just GORGE. DH is pretty thin & hardly eats throughout the day, yet he has no appetite. I can always out-eat him. I wish there was a way to not feel so hungry all of the time- drinking water doesn''t work that well, but I can''t think of any other "game plan." I''ve also started to boost my fiber intake, so hopefully that will make a difference?

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 3:14:51 PM
Author: TheBigT
Yep.

It took a couple months after the wedding to break my good eating habits, but once I went back to school and DH started a new job (and got really busy at that job), we stopped cooking and started ordering takeout every night. And eating dessert.
18.gif

We''ve begun cooking again, but it''s tough because DH has been coming home at 9pm, and I get hungry earlier. So I''ll have a snack, and then eat again later. And he''s so ravenous when he gets home that he eats twice as much as usual.

3.gif
2.gif

We at at 9:30, too! It''s so difficult, especially if you have an early morning. I have breakfast, lunch, and inevitable snack before our late dinner... and I''m still hungry & overeat when dinner rolls around. I really love having dinner with DH, so eating my meal before he comes home wouldn''t work.

I wonder if eating dinner at 6ish and then eating a snack at the table while he eats dinner would work? Ha. Probably not. I''d likely just pick food off of his plate and re-eat my dinner
14.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
To all:

Maybe it''s selfish, but I''m SO glad to not be facing this alone! I really appreciate you sharing personal stories. While I wish all of you perfect health and physiques you dream of, your struggles help me realize I''m not just a lazy worthless wife & that weight gain really DOES happen- even when we try to eat well and have good intentions. On the bright side, we all have lovely DHs who think we''re gorgeous and sexy, no matter what
3.gif
(Though sometimes this doesn''t help my quest to become a more fit version of myself!)

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I just posted in Healthier Lifestyle about this earlier! Since the wedding last year, I''ve gained around 6 or 7 pounds, but I think I also lost muscle so it all looks worse than just a couple pounds. After weeks of feeling really crappy about myself, I finally started crying about it after looking in the mirror this past weekend and DH decided it''s time for us both to join a gym. This way I''ll have him to motivate me to go to the gym and keep me going when I don''t want to go, and it''s something we can do *together*. I don''t think either of us NEEDS to lose weight, but we both gained a couple pounds since the wedding and just to feel better about ourselves we want to get in better shape. Tonight we''re going to sign up at the gym near our apartment and we plan on going 3 times a week together! I''m actually really excited because I HATE going to the gym alone, but now we can do this together and keep each other motivated!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
One thing I discovered when I used to wake up at 4:00 am was that I needed to eat based on hours in the day I was awake, not by morning, noon and night. I needed two breakfasts because I''d eat around 4:30 am and then be starving by 9:30. But that''s like a normal person who eats breakfast at 7 am eating lunch at noon. So my schedule (I definitely did small meals or grazed on healthy stuff throughout the day) was: 4:30 5:00 light breakfast, gym, another small breakfast around 8:30-9:00, work, lunch around 1:00, sometimes 2, work, snack around 4:30, dinner around 7, bed around 8:30-9:00.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 5:11:14 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
To all:

Maybe it''s selfish, but I''m SO glad to not be facing this alone! I really appreciate you sharing personal stories. While I wish all of you perfect health and physiques you dream of, your struggles help me realize I''m not just a lazy worthless wife & that weight gain really DOES happen- even when we try to eat well and have good intentions. On the bright side, we all have lovely DHs who think we''re gorgeous and sexy, no matter what
3.gif
(Though sometimes this doesn''t help my quest to become a more fit version of myself!)

Awww big hug, you''re so cute!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 5:11:14 PM
To all:

3.gif

You''re DEFINITELY not alone! I also feel so lazy and worthless sometimes... I know I could spend more time working out but sometimes I''m just so tired from school and work so I don''t work out, but then I look in the mirror and hate how I look and feel lazy and worthless again, and it''s an endless cycle. I don''t even eat badly or such unhealthy things - but somehow I''ve managed to gain this weight the last couple months and add that the loss of muscle and I look like I gained even more than I did... And DH tells me all the time he doesn''t notice the weight gain and loves me the way I am and I''m just as beautiful and sexy as I always have been, which makes me feel like I don''t need to work out and I''m fine the way I am... until I look in the mirror again next time and remember how bad I feel and how out of shape I feel!

Anyway my point was... you''re definitely not alone.
2.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 5:04:12 PM

Date: 1/5/2010 4:48:40 PM

I''m the exact opposite... My appetite is RIDICULOUS! I almost never, ever feel full. One of the only times was on Christmas while honeymooning- I nearly threw up after dinner because I ate so much. Disgusting. I just GORGE. DH is pretty thin & hardly eats throughout the day, yet he has no appetite. I can always out-eat him. I wish there was a way to not feel so hungry all of the time- drinking water doesn''t work that well, but I can''t think of any other ''game plan.'' I''ve also started to boost my fiber intake, so hopefully that will make a difference?
I had the same problem with hunger for years. SERIOUSLY! However, I cut back my portions religiously (well, not too much) for about three weeks and it really helps! And believe me I can totally out eat my 6''3'''' husband any day of the week if I wanted to. I work out a lot too. The first few weeks I was a little hungry I''d eat low calorie veggies till I felt satisfied. It''s really easier said than done but I told myself that I was going to do it for three weeks and at the end of it I didn''t feel I could eat as much nor was as hungry.

I also take a fiber supplement and a probiotic. I find those help with unsightly sugar and carb cravings. I also find that if I''m not eating proper balanced meals I''m not as hungry.

Usually when I gain weight I noticed that over time my portion size has increased as well as my hunger. I''m not sure for me why they go hand and hand but maybe that will help you.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
yea there''s definitely something to be said for stomach shrinkage...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 5:04:12 PM
I'm the exact opposite... My appetite is RIDICULOUS! I almost never, ever feel full. One of the only times was on Christmas while honeymooning- I nearly threw up after dinner because I ate so much. Disgusting. I just GORGE. DH is pretty thin & hardly eats throughout the day, yet he has no appetite. I can always out-eat him. I wish there was a way to not feel so hungry all of the time- drinking water doesn't work that well, but I can't think of any other 'game plan.' I've also started to boost my fiber intake, so hopefully that will make a difference?
Well, I have the appetite, I just don't have the metabolism that he has
2.gif
And that's why it's so difficult for me to eat small portions, because I just love to it. Luckily I do have a decent metabolism, better than many women I know so I shouldn't complain, I just find it so hard to cut back my portion size when I still feel hungry. It's really helped that I've been home all day lately and can have dinner on the table before 7 most nights (assuming DH is home by then, which is usually is). When I was working we didn't eat until 8:30 some nights and I would be starving by then. I would try to eat a snack, but I would still eat a large dinner, so the snacking wasn't really helping me cut back either.

ETA: I wouldn't say that I out-eat DH, he's a big eater, but I find that I am tempted to "keep up" with him, if that makes sense. If he ate little tiny meals, I would do the same. But when he eats huge portions, it seems to give me permission to do the same. My friends in college didn't help this mentality ... they always told me to eat more like the guys did
2.gif
I remember wanting to order 1/2 lb of wings (the typical serving size) and they made me order the 1lb because that's what guys eat
20.gif
Uhh, thanks for making me fat! Haha.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 5:29:27 PM
Agreed! I never understood those people who would eat a huge dinner and then say "Oh, I probably won''t eat at all tomorrow. I''ll be stuffed!"

I would eat a big meal (usually while traveling for work) and be *starving* the next day. Finally someone pointed out that I had expanded my stomach, so the next morning it felt even more empty than usual. Made so much sense! I definitely find the less I eat, the less I want to or even feel comfortable eating. It''s tough to get to that point, but it makes things so much easier because you no longer feel that you''re starving after having a normal sized plate of food.

Something else that helps me is limiting variety. You know how all of those commercials say that their product will help you lose weight because they have such a variety of foods that you''ll never get bored? Well, doesn''t work for me! I lost about 10lbs in college by eating the same things just about every day. I made sure I had good balanced meals, but I didn''t waiver (of course I picked things I liked, and I''m the kind of person who can eat the same thing every day and take a long time to get bored with it). I find that if I get in the groove of having the same things, I don''t crave more. It''s like I know I''ll be able to eat it again soon, so why stuff myself? I find if I have a variety of things all the time, I''m more likely to over eat because I really like it and never get to have it. Just my personal observation
1.gif
At home we''ve gotten into the groove of having the same 5 meals over and over every week with maybe one or two oddball nights thrown in. Gradually I''m cutting back what I eat because, while I still love the food, I know I can have it again in a week, so no need to go overboard.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 5:39:06 PM

Date: 1/5/2010 5:29:27 PM
Agreed! I never understood those people who would eat a huge dinner and then say ''Oh, I probably won''t eat at all tomorrow. I''ll be stuffed!''

I would eat a big meal (usually while traveling for work) and be *starving* the next day. Finally someone pointed out that I had expanded my stomach, so the next morning it felt even more empty than usual. Made so much sense! I definitely find the less I eat, the less I want to or even feel comfortable eating. It''s tough to get to that point, but it makes things so much easier because you no longer feel that you''re starving after having a normal sized plate of food.

Something else that helps me is limiting variety. You know how all of those commercials say that their product will help you lose weight because they have such a variety of foods that you''ll never get bored? Well, doesn''t work for me! I lost about 10lbs in college by eating the same things just about every day. I made sure I had good balanced meals, but I didn''t waiver (of course I picked things I liked, and I''m the kind of person who can eat the same thing every day and take a long time to get bored with it). I find that if I get in the groove of having the same things, I don''t crave more. It''s like I know I''ll be able to eat it again soon, so why stuff myself? I find if I have a variety of things all the time, I''m more likely to over eat because I really like it and never get to have it. Just my personal observation
1.gif
At home we''ve gotten into the groove of having the same 5 meals over and over every week with maybe one or two oddball nights thrown in. Gradually I''m cutting back what I eat because, while I still love the food, I know I can have it again in a week, so no need to go overboard.
I''m totally the same way. I overeat all the time on stuff because it''s so good and I don''t know when I''ll have it again.
20.gif
Blarg. DH is another skinny mini with a crazy metabolism, so he''s no help. He''s always eating, and I can never refuse food he''s making!
38.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are so not alone!

I definitely gained weight after the wedding. DH and I moved in together just one month before we were married, so that was our first time living together. Between spending two weeks in Greece right before the wedding, and then another ten nights in St. John on our honeymoon I think I gained a couple pounds right off the bat!

Once we were married my eating habits changed pretty dramatically. When I was on my own I never made a big deal about dinner, and I rarely cooked for myself. So, pre-marriage my dinner would be a sandwich, or a scoop of cottage cheese and some toast, or on very lazy nights, some popcorn. Since we''ve been married, though, I''ve been cooking every night. (Dinner was the only meal I ate at home when I was teaching high school, so my breakfasts and lunches stayed the same.)

We definitely indulged ourselves a bit when we were first married, too. I baked a lot, occasionally cooked with butter, brought home treats for DH from the market, that sort of thing. We typically live a healthy lifestyle, so all of that indulging didn''t last long. I realized that I had gained about 8 to 10 pounds during our first year of marriage, so that definitely had to stop. Of course, DH had gained only one pound, the man is a machine. He complained that his size 30 jeans weren''t loose anymore.
20.gif
I''m happy for his amazing metabolism, I really am.

I''m almost back to my original wedding weight now after eating really healthy at home and working out regularly since August. We also walk our pup several miles a day, even in this heinous Chicago weather, so she''s keeping us trim, too!

iloveny

Shiny_Rock
I definitely put on a few pounds over the holidays. I don''t have a scale, but I would guess it''s about 5 pounds. I''ve injured my hip, so I haven''t been able to go running, and I spent the weeks leading up to Christmas without exercising at all! But my new year''s resolution was to get back into it. I''m doing yoga and taking dance classes since I can''t run right now. Hopefully the lbs will come off soon! Good luck ladies!

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 5:07:06 PM
Date: 1/5/2010 3:14:51 PM

Author: TheBigT

Yep.

18.gif

3.gif
2.gif

We at at 9:30, too! It''s so difficult, especially if you have an early morning. I have breakfast, lunch, and inevitable snack before our late dinner... and I''m still hungry & overeat when dinner rolls around. I really love having dinner with DH, so eating my meal before he comes home wouldn''t work.

I wonder if eating dinner at 6ish and then eating a snack at the table while he eats dinner would work? Ha. Probably not. I''d likely just pick food off of his plate and re-eat my dinner

14.gif

Pils, that''s what happens to me! DH and I talk about our days over dinner, and I can''t seem to just watch him eat (although I do think there''s something intimate about breaking bread together, so it''s not totally bizarre). Must stop eating 2 dinners! Also, I agree, it does help to know that we''re all not alone in this.

Lilac, I cried also, last week. I just feel like my clothes don''t fit right (I''m 8 - 9 pounds heavier) and that makes me not want to go out and socialize because I feel gross. DH was really understanding (it helps that he gets it - he used to be considerably heavier before I met him) and told me even though I don''t feel like it, it''s okay to buy new clothes that fit me now, and then work on losing the weight. I''m not ready to do that, but it was totally the right thing to say to me. We also agreed that in the next apartment (when we hopefully have more space) we''re going to get an elliptical machine. Until then, we''re going to start working out together -- as soon as he isn''t working 14-hour days!

Good luck to all of you!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I''m totally, ridiculously, absurdly swamped at work, but I had to respond to this--I have definitely gained 5-7 pounds since the wedding =(. It''s really odd, because not much has changed. DH and I lived together for a year before the wedding, and we kind of had the meal thing figured out, and I wasn''t gaining or losing weight.

Now, suddenly, my clothes are a little tighter. It''s strange, because when I look in the mirror, I don''t see anything "extra," but it''s definitely there (unless my clothes all conspired to shrink in the dryer one day). Maybe my metabolism has slowed?

I''m not really one for working out, but maybe I''ll have to start once I get over this bout of bronchitis I''ve had recently. [Sigh.]

Anyway, Pils, you''re definitely not alone! It''s awesome that you''re thinking about this already--clearly I should have six months ago. Awareness is probably a big part of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results