shape
carat
color
clarity

Post wedding cakes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reena

Ideal_Rock
hmmmm.

am i the only person here who hates wedding cakes? i am completely crazy about all things wedding, but i really, really am just not into the cakes. i think most of them are horribly tacky (not the ones you guys posted or anything, but just in general) and i just do not want one! i''m 90% decided on having a fun cookie or cupcake buffet (also very MS weddings) or some other sort of sweets table instead (that''s an italian thing, anyway, so i guess it fits my "heritage").

i do love the ribbon cupcakes that rockchick posted though!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I dunno. .... I think that wedding cakes are like art. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the cake Erin posted. I want to get married again just to have that cake :) But I like the cupcakes too...my girlfriend had a formal wedding and had a cripsy creme cake YUM

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Reena, one of my best friends is Portugese, and her DH is Italian (as am I) and they had the sweets buffet table as well as a wedding cake...can I just tell you....the wedding cake was GROSS but the dessert table...with the chocolate covered strawberries, cannoli, cheesecake, petit fours...OMG it was SO freaking GOOD.

I just LOVE the look of fondant wedding cakes but hear they taste like absolute crap...so I stuck with a simpler design in buttercream. But if you don''t want to go with a cake...do the dessert table!!!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
We did both cake and sweets for 2 receptions we had. Just a small wedding cake, extra sheet cake in back, then lots of little desserts. In the first reception our desserts were the centerpieces (posted on the first page in this thread), and in the second reception we had a huge table of sweets. It was great!!! The cost ends up being the same as paying for one big fancy wedding cake that is just going to get cut up anyway!! If money was no object though, I would go for the big fancy cake and sweets
9.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2005 8:59:29 PM
Author: reena
hmmmm.

am i the only person here who hates wedding cakes? i am completely crazy about all things wedding, but i really, really am just not into the cakes. i think most of them are horribly tacky (not the ones you guys posted or anything, but just in general) and i just do not want one! i''m 90% decided on having a fun cookie or cupcake buffet (also very MS weddings) or some other sort of sweets table instead (that''s an italian thing, anyway, so i guess it fits my ''heritage'').

i do love the ribbon cupcakes that rockchick posted though!

You''re not alone...

I think the outsides decorations can be very beautiful, but the insides never live up to the expectations. My preference, even before it was a trend, was cupcakes (I think it is the cake to frosting ratio I enjoy). For my money I''d go with an extravagent sweets table, people still talk about the one my parents had way back when. My family is Italian too and its just part of the tradition besides having the bakery goods to have the aunts bake some of the couple''s favorite desserts.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i literally remember the old italian ladies (including my darling gramma) wrapping up cookies from the sweets table in napkins and smuggling them home in their purses! lol

the best part is, not only did they do this at weddings -- they also did it at funerals!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2005 1:06:47 AM
Author: reena
i literally remember the old italian ladies (including my darling gramma) wrapping up cookies from the sweets table in napkins and smuggling them home in their purses! lol

the best part is, not only did they do this at weddings -- they also did it at funerals!
I don''t remember it from the funerals, but definitely at the weddings. Back before it was popular to even leave little take out containers or bags for guests to take some at the end of the party, there were my great aunts and grandma digging their own little ziplocs out of their purse and stocking up.

To anyone else that probably sounds so tacky, but I guess that''s just the way it is! Glad my family wasn''t the only one doing that.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
COOL double happiness cake!
30.gif
Looks good enough to eat!!!
3.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Us cutting our cake. The photog took beautiful pictures of the cake, but I can't post them until we get our cd in a month. It was pound cake with french vanilla icing topped with fresh uncut berries. We're still eating leftovers, and its delish!!

21682918_a35ff03068.jpg

ETA: Just posted this in my wedding synopsis thread. Detail of our cake, taken by my sister. Isn't it fun? The picture we copied the cake from was a basketweave, but we told them to just have fun with it and it's so pretty!
Picture189.small.JPG

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
very cute
30.gif

bloom_mbmdsp03_08zoom.jpg

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2005 6:32:12 PM
Author: Rockchick
very cute
30.gif

Oooh! That is SO cute! I wonder what the whole cake looks like now....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2005 6:25:13 PM
Author: JCJD
Us cutting our cake. The photog took beautiful pictures of the cake, but I can''t post them until we get our cd in a month. It was pound cake with french vanilla icing topped with fresh uncut berries. We''re still eating leftovers, and its delish!!

Uh oh. Never mind the cake. I could eat you up, JCJD! Once again I see you in your gown and veil. You look yummy!!!

Deb

PS-I had one of the "tacky" cakes, but I absolutely loved it. It was made by an Italian family bakery. It was so good that we took the remains in the trunk of our car on our honeymoon. I remember giving some to the people who ran the motel on Cape Cod where we stayed! Yup...I was serving cake out of a car trunk!!!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2005 6:39:45 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 7/15/2005 6:25:13 PM

Us cutting our cake. The photog took beautiful pictures of the cake, but I can''t post them until we get our cd in a month. It was pound cake with french vanilla icing topped with fresh uncut berries. We''re still eating leftovers, and its delish!!

Uh oh. Never mind the cake. I could eat you up, JCJD! Once again I see you in your gown and veil. You look yummy!!!

Deb

PS-I had one of the ''tacky'' cakes, but I absolutely loved it. It was made by an Italian family bakery. It was so good that we took the remains in the trunk of our car on our honeymoon. I remember giving some to the people who ran the motel on Cape Cod where we stayed! Yup...I was serving cake out of a car trunk!!!

LOL! Well, just so long as you''re eating me up in the sense of Jennifer5973 eating Portia''s nose up, then thanks!

That''s so funny about the cake in the car trunk! It must have been good!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2005 6:49:20 PM
LOL! Well, just so long as you''re eating me up in the sense of Jennifer5973 eating Portia''s nose up, then thanks!

Portia''s nose!!!!???? Now that is sick! I thought it was her paw pads!!!!

Deb

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG. I''m getting hungry!!!!!!!!!! RockC- that first cake...with the thin chocolate detail. OMGOMGOMG. Where were you when I needed a cake 3 1/2 years ago? LOL.

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
I love that one too..

probably gonna be our cake, dunno yet..

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
this is the cake I ordered, but ivory icining and champagne ribon. But I am using my parents cake topper and realized it will like stupid on top of a "presents cake"...so I am just going to do a square cake w/a ribbon band around each layer, and my mom and dads bride and groom on top. The cake is white chocolate and chocolate mousee, each layer alternates.

th_50m.jpg

soontobemarried

Rough_Rock
I too am looking for cake ideas. I want to include a fountain within the design, because ive always loved that idea, but I dont want to do the traditional fountain look cake.

Any ideas would be appreciated

eks6426

Ideal_Rock

Reena

I noticed your post under the SHOW ME YOUR WEDDING cake thread that I started long ago. I too am not a huge fan of wedding cake and although everyone gave me some great ideas for pretty cakes my husband and I chose not to do one. Instead we had our family make our favorite desserts from our childhood. My mom made cupcakes--I had sugar flowers custom made to match my bouquet to put on top of each cupcake. His mom made apple pies. His sister also made a family cookie recipe. On the dessert table we had a 8X10 frame with a note explaining the desserts and giving credit to our families. Below is the first part of the note. Then we each shared a memory from our childhood on why this was our favorite dessert. Everyone loved it and said not only was it truly different, but actually tasted yummy. Just an idea for you. I am posting this to the thread, but since you posted while I was on my honeymoon I didn''t know if you would go back to a thread from awhile ago....Anyway, here''s the first part of our note on the dessert table...

Have you ever been ready to order dessert at a nice restaurant, but were disappointed to find that they didn’t offer wedding cake as an option? Neither have we!

When we were making all of the decisions that go along with a wedding, we just couldn’t get excited about wedding cake. Then it hit us. What would we really like to have?

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Just resurrecting this thread because I''m slowly receiving photos from some of my friends and I wanted to share them with you! This was my cake. Four tiers, vanilla cake with buttercream frosting and buttercream filling with raspberries. The calla lilies look so real but they''re actually sugar or gum paste? I heard it was good since I didn''t eat any of it but we do have the top tier in the freezer! We also had a dessert which I hope someone got a picture of. It was a little cup made of chocolate filled with mocha mousse with a tuille spoon. And they also had plates of petits fours, lace cookies and chocolate covered strawberries for each table. Dessert is very important in my family!!

the cake!.jpg

bravesfan

Shiny_Rock
I think this is the one we are doing... it says "They lived Happily Ever After" all of the way around it. I think I want to add something around the base of each layer though like frosting beads or something.

cake456487.JPG

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
RockChick , you''re an Ideal Rock now!! Wow that was a quick jump
1.gif
. And RockChick I love your pics of the tiered desert trays! Cool
3.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
hehe... Oops! didn''t realize I was responding to such an old thread
41.gif
But still, everyone''s cakes are making me hungry
18.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Since this thread has been resurrected, I figured I might as well post a photo of my cake. I designed it myself
1.gif
The flowers and shells are all edible--the flowers were made of sugar or gum paste, and the shells were solid chocolate
18.gif
The flavors we had were rich chocolate cake with raspberry mousse and chocolate ganache and bridal white cake with vanilla bean bavarian cream and fresh raspberries soaked in Grand Manier.

slh_cake.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a closeup of the details....

BTW, it was made by Topo at Topozios
1.gif

Cake_Details.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Wow Researcher , your cake is amazing!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Sunkist! I wanted to keep with our beach theme, but also wanted a classy looking cake. The cascading flowers and shells was the best of both worlds. I was just so happy that Topo was able to turn my drawing into a work of art
1.gif

Here''s yet another photo....

Dark_Cake2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results