shape
carat
color
clarity

Post-Purchase Analysis (or Monday Morning Quarterbacks?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TheRock

Rough_Rock
First of all, thanks to PriceScope and the Rocky Talkies for invaluable advice -- I tuned in all the time to the posts here, using the info to get a ring that wowed my now-fiancee. So kudos to you all!

That said, while she's smiling ear-to-ear about her new bling and has vowed never to take if off her finger again, the Type-A guy in me wants to make sure I've invested wisely. To wit:

1.57ct Square Emerald Cut (Asscher)
6.66 x 6.62 x 4.11 mm
Depth: 62%
Table 61 %
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: IF
Color: G
Flu: None
Price: ~$10,400
(Sadly, I forgot to ask for Sarin numbers until the stone had already been set, and the vendor informed me that it was too late to run a report.)

Good deal? You tell me....

Next steps, an independent appraisal and then insurance here in New York City. I've lined up people to do these things already, but a couple issues linger:

1) Will an appraiser be able to accurately judge the stone since I already had it set?
2) Is it wise (and polite) to ask the appraiser to give me both a spoken estimation of the diamond's value as well as an official written appraisal at an agreed-upon price for insurance purposes?
3) The ring needs to be resized slightly (made maybe half a size larger). What can I expect to pay for this service?

Once again, many thanks, you guys. Once I'm finished tying up these loose ends, I'll post a testimonial and wrap-up.

Best, TheRock

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Good deal? You tell me....
-----------

Yes, good deal.

-----------
Next steps, an independent appraisal and then insurance here in New York City. I've lined up people to do these things already, but a couple issues linger:
1) Will an appraiser be able to accurately judge the stone since I already had it set?
-----------

It is tougher to grade mounted stones rather than loose. The appraiser will not have the advantage of seeing the entire stone umimpeded and handle it next to master color grading stones as easily. And an IF stone is quite a laborious task in clarity grading. I am reluctant to assign an IF grade to a mounted stone, because of the fact that you're not entirely sure if you're missing something under the prongs.

I would tell the appraiser that you have a cert on the stone, but you would like his opinion of the quality before discussing the cert with him. You'll get an idea quick enough if the two gradings correlate. Don't be surprised if the appraiser is hesitant to assign an IF grade without seeing the report first.

-----------
2) Is it wise (and polite) to ask the appraiser to give me both a spoken estimation of the diamond's value
-----------

Sure, no problem.

-----------
as well as an official written appraisal at an agreed-upon price for insurance purposes?
-----------

I'm not quite certain what you mean by "an agreed upon price". The appraiser is going to call it as he sees it. I don't think he's going to look for agreement from you. If you're saying that you want the appraisal at a conservative replacement value so you won't have to pay unnecessary premiums, then I think you won't have any problem. Just tell him that, and he will appraise it as low as he feels comfortable with, while making sure that you are still covered in the event of a loss.

-----------
3) The ring needs to be resized slightly (made maybe half a size larger). What can I expect to pay for this service?
-----------

The dealer who sold you the ring might do this for free. If getting it back to him is logistically a problem, then you will probably pay $15-$30 to have it sized, unless it's platinum. A platinum sizing job will cost you more.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

TheRock

Rough_Rock
Rich:

Indeed, I'm hoping to have the appraiser give me a conservative estimate just to keep my premiums kinda low. But I'll discuss that with him first and then just let him do his job as he sees fit. And I'll definitely take your advice about getting his opinion on color and clarity before I share the cert with him.

Again, many thanks!

TheRock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results