shape
carat
color
clarity

possibly weird art deco setting idea.....help/opinions plz

thea_harper

Rough_Rock
Okie dokie. Super longtime lurker, never really dipped my toe into anything custom except for a simple gemstone solitaire which I lost over a year ago so that's a moot point, sadly.

My current concept is a bit more odd and I'm struggling with getting a balance to happen color wise.

I got this Grossular Garnet from Dana, It's 9.1x7.5 or 2.67ct.

It looks orange one minute and mildly red/orange the next depending on lighting. Super crappy rain here so I'm just posting a pic from Dana, sorry!
29058.jpg

Now, this is my setting inspiration:
8030-01_0.jpg

So, garnet center stone, probably claw prongs because I like how they look, diamond melee I happen to have in the form of an old ring so that's covered, but what the heck color to pick to go with orange/red as the "side" stones??!?!?!

Stick with round? Rose cut? Do square like in the picture? I'm so stumped!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: possibly weird art deco setting idea.....help/opinions

Welcome!
I love the setting. Are you looking for something g to contrast and POP, like a green maybe? Or blend in like a yellow?

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

Niel|1454015216|3983148 said:
Welcome!
I love the setting. Are you looking for something g to contrast and POP, like a green maybe? Or blend in like a yellow?

That's my problem, I really can't decide!! Green would be nifty, more minty green than like forest green maybe. But that also screams Christmas kinda.

Yellow might be nice too....

ahh! this is tough!

thanks for the welcome! :)

fel

Shiny_Rock

How about emeralds for the sides and light yellow diamonds instead of white diamonds. Or, if fancy light yellow is too expensive you can go with matched "champagne" (light brown) diamonds.

My avatar picture is an orangey brown diamond + a bright green emerald, so I obviously like the look.

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

fel|1454015980|3983155 said:
How about emeralds for the sides and light yellow diamonds instead of white diamonds. Or, if fancy light yellow is too expensive you can go with matched "champagne" (light brown) diamonds.

My avatar picture is an orangey brown diamond + a bright green emerald, so I obviously like the look.

I like the idea of emeralds but haven't found an already available pair as of yet and I'm not set on the color enough to ask anyone for a custom yet.

The idea of the glowy silk color'd emeralds is appealing for sure though.

Your ring is super nifty fel, thanks for the input. :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you want to contrast or complement? If you want to complement you can pick another variety of garnet in hues or red or orange, or brown or yellow sapphires. I think andradite garnets are really intriguing (both browns and greens).

For contrast you can try something with a blue-green, like a tsavorite or tourmaline or light blue sapphire.

I also like art deco ideas like pearls or moonstones for accents.

I was also thinking of purple, but might be too "Halloween" looking.

eta- yes! yellow diamonds would be fab!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock

How about blue. Here is a picture of an Orangy red Ruby and an orangy red sapphire with two apatites and an indicolite tourmaline.

Love the setting

_36244.jpg

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

part gypsy|1454019279|3983186 said:
Do you want to contrast or complement? If you want to complement you can pick another variety of garnet in hues or red or orange, or brown or yellow sapphires. I think andradite garnets are really intriguing (both browns and greens).

For contrast you can try something with a blue-green, like a tsavorite or tourmaline or light blue sapphire.

I also like art deco ideas like pearls or moonstones for accents.

I was also thinking of purple, but might be too "Halloween" looking.

eta- yes! yellow diamonds would be fab!

All of those sound awesome. There are just too many interesting ways to go, my brain is scrambled ha!

Right now I'm leaning towards complementing and am looking at citrines, garnets, and moonstones... :think:

thanks for the reply. :)

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

Sungura|1454019897|3983197 said:
How about blue. Here is a picture of an Orangy red Ruby and an orangy red sapphire with two apatites and an indicolite tourmaline.

Love the setting

that's super neat looking, I'm going to add blue to my list of colors to consider. thanks! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Black gets my vote.

picsart_01-28-06.jpg

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock

Wow Niel that looks so elegant.

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

Niel|1454022226|3983229 said:
Black gets my vote.

Holy smokes, that looks awesome Niel! :lickout: :appl:

So onyx? Any other black choices?????

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock

Black spinel

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

thea_harper|1454024478|3983238 said:
Black gets my vote.

Black spinel is another jet black stone

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

Awesome, thanks so much y'all! I have a few choices to mull over! :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Black looks awesome

picante27

Shiny_Rock

Another vote for black spinel, which I never would've thought of if not for that picture. Nice job, Niel!

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

Finally, its like a 180 from yesterday's weather, here are some glamour shots :love:

It does kinda of half "black out" (is that a term?) in some angles but that's overided for me by a) all the other awesome stuff it does in light and b) the fact the I paid under $100 for it. I'm totally pleased and also really stoked because it has that sleepy art deco glow to it that you see in ruby and emerald pieces of that time, IMO of course.

Due to it's behavior now that there's light outside I'm leaning towards rose cut moonstones instead of diamonds, along with black spinel....its all still up in the air though... :think:

dsc_8980-shade.jpg

dsc_8984-_more_shade.jpg

dsc_8995-sun.jpg

dsc_8997-kinda_red-ish.jpg

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

last few :)

it's RI seems impressive, to me at least...my lost prior piece was a garnet and it didn't give off like this...dunno!

camera decided to flash/blow out white in this shot but it perfectly illustrates that awesome glow :love: :lickout:

dsc_8998-ri.jpg

dsc_9004-glowing_ember.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Half /half extinction is common in ovals, and I think you got a lovely stone for the price!

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

Niel|1454080465|3983541 said:
Half /half extinction is common in ovals, and I think you got a lovely stone for the price!

That's what I vaguely remembered so thank you for the conformation and correct terminology!

I'm very happy with it for sure. :)

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

In my excitement I missed this inclusion on the edge and now I'm a bit concerned about potential further damage.

I'm wondering now If I should thinly bezel it instead of prongs... :???:
(dang resizing!)

dsc_9011.jpg

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

thea_harper|1454024478|3983238 said:
Black gets my vote.

I'm not an expert, but black diamonds are always nice... :)

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock

that's such a pretty stone! Have you decided what to put with it yet? My first instinct with the pic from Dana was maybe something green but after seeing it in your hand... what about purple? set it up vertically with a couple of pear cut amethysts (or something similar) on the sides? hmmmm.... it'll be beautiful no matter what you do!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful stone & setting idea. :love:

One question - does it have to be another/third color? I tend to play it safe when it comes to color, so I might be inclined to just do square diamonds for faceting contrast from the rounds you already have, and let that gorgeous red/orange color be the star, if that makes sense.

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

JoCoJenn|1454496224|3986092 said:
Beautiful stone & setting idea. :love:

One question - does it have to be another/third color? I tend to play it safe when it comes to color, so I might be inclined to just do square diamonds for faceting contrast from the rounds you already have, and let that gorgeous red/orange color be the star, if that makes sense.

It really doesn't have to be another color!

Actually, to be honest, after sitting on this concept for the past week and talking it over with my husband I'm very close to putting this idea to bed and just doing a 3 stone with a pair of OEC's...but we shall see.

this is my brain: :twirl:

I really love the original plan so I'll just keep it in my file for later.

Either way it's getting set this year because I love it and I want to be able to wear it!

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

lmcriss|1454386032|3985467 said:
that's such a pretty stone! Have you decided what to put with it yet? My first instinct with the pic from Dana was maybe something green but after seeing it in your hand... what about purple? set it up vertically with a couple of pear cut amethysts (or something similar) on the sides? hmmmm.... it'll be beautiful no matter what you do!

thank you! like I said above, I'm still torn! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How about light/sky blue? I think the 2 colours will complement each other well. I'm concerned that black will further enhance the darkness of the spinel. I would also stay with prongs over bezel.

thea_harper

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1454512065|3986178 said:
How about light/sky blue? I think the 2 colours will complement each other well. I'm concerned that black will further enhance the darkness of the spinel. I would also stay with prongs over bezel.

I love the idea of blue but annoyingly a VERY popular sports team is based out of were I live and their colors are orange and blue.
:(sad

Would you go with prongs even with that inclusion it has, its ~right~ at the edge which is my concern.
You can kinda even see the dip in the side in Dana's pic (it's on the top side....)

here a semi decent picture I got of the spot...
close_up_2_paint_edit.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How about light yellow green? My concern with the bezel is the darkening of the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results