Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible Upgrade From 2.66ct to 3.15ct

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 7, 2010
Messages
606
I'm considering trading in my 2.66ct for a stone that is around 3.15ct. The size difference between the two is .7mm - how noticeable will this be in real life? Will it be a subtle change or will it be obvious upon first glance?

Also, any opinions as to whether this upgrade would be worth twice the price? The 3.15ct is almost exactly twice what I paid for the 2.66ct a year ago, so I'm not so sure if I want to spend twice the amount for a size jump that wouldn't be extremely noticeable... There is a clarity difference, which I like, but I'm mostly looking to bump up the size.

Thanks! :wavey:
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,971
As you get up in weight a half carat increase is less and less noticeable but the price gets more and more noticeable, especially when you jump over a major price-milestones like 3 ct.

That's just the way it is and only you can say if that barely-noticeable appearance change is worth the VERY-noticeable price difference.

Also if you are trading in your 2.66 and bought it even only a few months ago you are losing a ton of money.
There have been huge price increases recently.
The vendor only gives you what you paid back when prices are much lower, but they are charging you TODAY's prices for the new one.

2.66 ct ain't small, but if you want to play with big rocks you gotta pay the price.
 

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 15, 2011
Messages
544
I do think you'll see a difference side by side. But not much otherwise. It's going from big to bigger....not big to huge, kwim? I don't think that's worth double what you paid originally, which wasn't anything to sneeze at. Especially now that prices have gone up so much recently. I would keep saving if you want and wait and see if prices come down in the next few years.... then maybe you can go to 4 carats and then you would certainly see a difference!
 
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
5,384
nfowife|1310666383|2968931 said:
I do think you'll see a difference side by side. But not much otherwise. It's going from big to bigger....not big to huge, kwim? I don't think that's worth double what you paid originally, which wasn't anything to sneeze at. Especially now that prices have gone up so much recently. I would keep saving if you want and wait and see if prices come down in the next few years.... then maybe you can go to 4 carats and then you would certainly see a difference!
agreed.

No way would I pay double for a stone that is not even a carat larger.
 

sarahharris

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 23, 2011
Messages
21
I can imagine the 2.66 carat diamond was expensive enough, so I don't see the point in paying double that again on another ring. You will see a slight difference, but not enough to justify that price.

Stick with the one you have. It's not worth paying double for all over again.
 

aquanaut

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
125
I would say explore your options on selling the stone yourself or trading it in for CURRENT prices, not what you paid a year ago.

Otherwise you are losing way to much because of all the price increases.

I remember your 2.66 is H&A. Is this 3.15 H&A as well?
 

pkanawha

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 22, 2011
Messages
49
You wouldn't see that much difference in size. Keep in mind that when we measure carats, it reflects the increased size in 3 dimensions, not just 2. By that I mean that you will increase the depth as much as the height and the width of the diamond (looking down on it from above). But this won't really increase the size of the "face" that much. I did a little calculation you can follow: 3.15 divided by 2.66 gives us an amount of 1.184. That means that the total volume (carat) of the diamond will be 18.4% greater than before. Since the diamond is in 3 dimensions, we have to obtain the cube root of 18.4. This gives us an amount of 2.64. (2.64 x 2.64 x 2.64 = 18.4.) So your diamond would only be 2.64% (a bit over 1/40th) higher, 2.64% wider (1/40th), and 2.64% deeper (1/40th) than before. Doesn't sound like very much to me! Yes, you'd see a difference if you held them side by side, but otherwise, who would notice 2.64% in each direction? To me it's way too much money for an incremental change. Save your money up for a really big one, or perhaps for another beautiful piece of jewelry.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
I think your ring is the perfect size...but what matters most is if you are happy. Maybe go try on some 3 ct rings and see if you notice the size difference? to me, it would not be worth it.
 

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
12,673
That's about half a carat size increase for double the price? I'd really have to think twice about that one - your stone is beautiful and you have a Leon setting. Would you have Leon make another setting?

Some folks are really set on having a 3 carat stone and if that's the goal, perhaps the price is worth it to you. Double the $$ though is a huge price increase!

Do you have specs on the new stone?
 

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
6,574
I agree with the majority. Your ring is so new, and prices have increased so much, I'm not sure I'd want to pay double for a ring that would appear negligibly larger than what you already have.
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,125
I am in the camp with most everyone else. I would not pay that much money for less than a carat upgrade.
 

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
11,614
marcy|1310691666|2969263 said:
I am in the camp with most everyone else. I would not pay that much money for less than a carat upgrade.
I wouldn't either.

Psst....halo! :naughty: I don't know if you like halos, but if you do, a halo will give you a huge size boost.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,407
will you need a new setting?
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,407
kenny|1310665955|2968919 said:
The vendor only gives you what you paid back when prices are much lower, but they are charging you TODAY's prices for the new one.
yep,IMO..it is never worth upgrading unless the diamond market tanks.instead, i'd prefer to buy another stone.
 

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 7, 2010
Messages
606
Wow, I knew it wasn't the most financially sound decision, but the responses on here really have me backtracking.

I do intend to upgrade to over 3 carats within a couple years, but I thought it was unlikely that diamond prices would come back down significantly. If this AGS000, VS1, H stone is only going to get more expensive, I figured what better time than the present to get the size I want. Am I wrong with this line of thinking? I have an upgrade policy and want to use it, so would it actually be prudent to wait?

To answer a few other questions: Yes, I would get a new Leon (or possibly Steven Kirsch) setting made, and it would probably be the same one since I'm a solitaire girl. Halos are not my thing, so it's either I get a new stone or I stick with what I have for a couple years.

I will say that my fiance thinks it's not a big enough difference to spend the money, but he also thought that 2.5 carats was big enough so what does he know (joking!). At this point, I'm thinking of waiting until I can find a 3.5 carat that suits my fancy, but I would love to hear more thoughts about cashing in on my upgrade policy (DF's suggestion of simply buying another stone doesn't work for me since I don't really have another use for my 2.66 and it would just sit in my safe).
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
A jump of 0.70mm *is* noticeable yes. But like others have said, is it worth it to pay double what you paid originally for the 2.66ct stone for this jump, I'd say no. I personally wouldn't do it. As someone has pointed out, what you paid originally is way below current market price and in this instance, an upgrade is not worth it...only worthwhile to upgrade in a declining or stable market, not in this wildly upswing one.

How about a 3-stone ring? That'd give you more coverage without so much more additonal cost. I used to love halo's myself but am finding myself getting a bit less and less enamoured with the style these days. I've just had a 3-stone ring done and *love* it for the finger coverage.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,407
calibali|1310699252|2969375 said:
I will say that my fiance thinks it's not a big enough difference to spend the money, but he also thought that 2.5 carats was big enough so what does he know (joking!). At this point, I'm thinking of waiting until I can find a 3.5 carat that suits my fancy, but I would love to hear more thoughts about cashing in on my upgrade policy (DF's suggestion of simply buying another stone doesn't work for me since I don't really have another use for my 2.66 and it would just sit in my safe).
happy birthday to me??..that stone would look so nice on my finger.. :naughty:
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,407
Phoenix|1310701617|2969395 said:
A jump of 0.70mm *is* noticeable yes. But like others have said, is it worth it to pay double what you paid originally for the 2.66ct stone for this jump, I'd say no. I personally wouldn't do it. As someone has pointed out, what you paid originally is way below current market price and in this instance, an upgrade is not worth it...only worthwhile to upgrade in a declining or stable market, not in this wildly upswing one.
no upgrade??.. :o look who's talking...the Shanghai diamond queen!!.. :lol:
 

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
2,975
If you're absolutely, definitely going to do it in the future to get over 3 cts, then just do it. Waiting probably wouldn't make it cheaper in the future and could more likely make it even worse of a deal. I mean, that's a LOT of money for not a whole lot more diamond visibly, but if that's your plan and always has been and your FI is on board, sometimes logic isn't always the way we decide stuff, haha! :rodent:

However- will you be done forever at 3.16 cts? Or are you ultimately hoping for an even larger size? If that's the plan- maybe keep looking and just do it all at once, because upgrade plans have gotten to be worse and worse deals for consumers recently, and the fewer times you use it the less of a bath you'll take using it.

Logically, I'd say no it's not a great deal of size and it's a lot more money. But you do say that you had always intended to upgrade over 3 cts, and still do, so maybe it's not worth sitting on much longer hoping for prices to come down (which they haven't in past years as far as I know!)
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
Dancing Fire|1310705912|2969423 said:
Phoenix|1310701617|2969395 said:
A jump of 0.70mm *is* noticeable yes. But like others have said, is it worth it to pay double what you paid originally for the 2.66ct stone for this jump, I'd say no. I personally wouldn't do it. As someone has pointed out, what you paid originally is way below current market price and in this instance, an upgrade is not worth it...only worthwhile to upgrade in a declining or stable market, not in this wildly upswing one.
no upgrade??.. :o look who's talking...the Shanghai diamond queen!!.. :lol:
DF, you're not right on two counts. See if you can guess what they are? :wink2: :cheeky:
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
oh, i didn't realize that you were planning to upgrade to a 3.5 carat. maybe contact the vendor of your stone to see if they can find any in that size range for the final upgrade? or you could do it in stages...

personally I think your ring is the perfect size which is why I voted against upgrading.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Twice the price. Um, I'm in the no camp as well.
 

cl600500

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 11, 2011
Messages
33
You have too much time and money on your hands to spend double on a ring that is already big as heck.............UNLESS your diamond is a SI or low color grade and you want a VVS and colorless.....then i understand but if your just switching up a carat thats not worth it sorry
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
sarahharris|1310667479|2968951 said:
I can imagine the 2.66 carat diamond was expensive enough, so I don't see the point in paying double that again on another ring. You will see a slight difference, but not enough to justify that price.

Stick with the one you have. It's not worth paying double for all over again.

I have to agree with this. I do not think that I would pay double the price of your 2.66ct to jump up .70 in carat size.
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Not worth it unless you will be getting the diamond of your dream size. Can you swing that switch? If not, wait a bit and upgrade when you can. I think that is a better plan and will save you money in the long run.

Whether it is "worth it" depends on your own financial situation and whether the money spent is equal to the joy you will get from the new diamond.
 

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
5,532
Amys Bling|1310988279|2971284 said:
sarahharris|1310667479|2968951 said:
I can imagine the 2.66 carat diamond was expensive enough, so I don't see the point in paying double that again on another ring. You will see a slight difference, but not enough to justify that price.

Stick with the one you have. It's not worth paying double for all over again.

I have to agree with this. I do not think that I would pay double the price of your 2.66ct to jump up .70 in carat size.
I am also in agreement. Doing this doesn't make any sense. And you mention that your fiance thinks your current diamond is big enough and wouldn't you want him to be on board with something like this?
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?
    Scorpio Style
    Scorpio Style
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top