shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible to recut a 2ct OEC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
I am looking at Antique Cut diamonds, and I''''ve found a 2.10 carat that isn''''t really cut well for 2600.00. It has a chip, too, and the girdle is too thin. I was wondering if those if you who know much about diamond cutting could tell me if I could get such a stone re-cut? If so, how much does that usually run (ballpark)? And, would it be worth it? I don''''t know much about this stuff, so I figured I''''d put it to the experts!:)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask DiaGem (offline) for his opinion.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 5:14:19 PM
Author:Fox2009
I am looking at Antique Cut diamonds, and I've found a 2.10 carat that isn't really cut well for 2600.00. It has a chip, too, and the girdle is too thin. I was wondering if those if you who know much about diamond cutting could tell me if I could get such a stone re-cut? If so, how much does that usually run (ballpark)? And, would it be worth it? I don't know much about this stuff, so I figured I'd put it to the experts!:)
Yes it is certainly possible to have it recut, although there are no guarantees and cutting isn't without risk. But I would suggest you contact an expert such as -

Bill Bray - www.brayscore.com

Brian Gavin at www.brianthecutter.com

initially to see what could be done. You might have various options of cutting styles, to have the existing cut tidied up down to having a modern round brilliant cut, but this is pure speculation - you really want an expert to examine the diamond and tell you what your choices are.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good advice!
I can tell you that there are cases where a re-cut is not viable.
It may be possible to repair certain aspects.

Were you thinking of buying the stone and ending up with an OMC- or trying to re-cut to modern?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, are you recutting into a modern RB or remaining as an OEC?
Next, what is the clarity of the stone? Depending on the location and type of inclusions, it may not be possible or you will lose a lot of carat weight.
I'm not sure of the cost. That will vary depending on the cut quallity, inclusions to be worked around, graining of the diamond, etc.
Will it be worth it? That depends on the stone itself. If you end up with a significantly smaller stone, no, it's not worth it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 5:32:28 PM
Author: Lorelei

Yes it is certainly possible to have it recut, although there are no guarantees and cutting isn't without risk. But I would suggest you contact an expert such as -

Bill Bray - www.brayscore.com

Brian Gavin at www.brianthecutter.com

initially to see what could be done. You might have various options of cutting styles, to have the existing cut tidied up down to having a modern round brilliant cut, but this is pure speculation - you really want an expert to examine the diamond and tell you what your choices are.
ditto; here is Isabelle's recut from Brian Gavin https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-incredible-newly-recut-rb-thank-you-brian-gavin-and-wf.86854/ I would just call him up and ask him his thoughts.

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input--

It has inclusions along the edge, but not horrible (mostly white/gray). I would rather end up with an OEC or OMC cut than a MB, but, I am not sure if you can do that? In other words, I am not sure if many people do those cuts anymore...

I''d only want to do it if I could end up with a pretty good sized stone in the end. A 2ct for 2600 is really good, though really flawed, and if it ended up being a 1.5 with a good cut, that would be much better! And, very worth it.

I guess I should just have it evaluated. How much do re-cuttings usually run (ballpark, I know it won''t be EXACT).

Thanks again, this is all really interesting to me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 11:16:02 PM
Author: Fox2009
Thanks for the input--

It has inclusions along the edge, but not horrible (mostly white/gray). I would rather end up with an OEC or OMC cut than a MB, but, I am not sure if you can do that? In other words, I am not sure if many people do those cuts anymore...

I''d only want to do it if I could end up with a pretty good sized stone in the end. A 2ct for 2600 is really good, though really flawed, and if it ended up being a 1.5 with a good cut, that would be much better! And, very worth it.

I guess I should just have it evaluated. How much do re-cuttings usually run (ballpark, I know it won''t be EXACT).

Thanks again, this is all really interesting to me.
I think a recut runs from a few hundred dollars but I am not totally sure and you would need to ask. Regrettably the info we can give you here is so limited and is pure speculation - yes you could have it done, but not all are suitable candidates for a recut as David mentions so there is that to consider. Diamonds can break or shatter, this is rare but can happen while recutting. And if it is suitable you could lose a lot of weight in the process. So it is difficult to advise really, but I would talk to one of the cutters above to see how to proceed.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fox- as a rough estimate, figure $200 per carat to recut.
There are cutters in NYC who are doing older cuts right now.

We recently got an OMC that had been totally gone over- the cutter did not change the cut but rather he cleaned up all the facet lines, and totally polished the girdle- when he was done the stone looked like a brand new Old Mine stone.

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the pricing "rough estimate." It seems like it would be pretty affordable and not that difficult to get it recut--and it sounds like I could get a pretty size-able stone for a good price...especially if I could just get the OEC cut cleaned up...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/29/2009 12:10:36 PM
Thanks for the pricing ''rough estimate.'' It seems like it would be pretty affordable and not that difficult to get it recut--and it sounds like I could get a pretty size-able stone for a good price...especially if I could just get the OEC cut cleaned up...
Fox- It is possible, but not necessarily likely.
For example, some girdle damage will require enough polishing to really affect the entire cut of the diamond.

Is this stone being sold by a private individual?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also if there are many inclusions near the edge those might need to be entirely "cut off" meaning the diamond might become a lot smaller. If it''s a 2ct for $2600 there are probably some serious things wrong with it (unless it is a lucky find from someone who doesn''t know what they have), so it is prudent to make SURE you can get recut before you buy it if that is your goal.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are considering going forward with this I would make the sale contingent on an appraiser''s estimate or a re-cutter''s estimate. And make sure the place you are buying from documents everything in writing-- including all the current damage and inclusions in the stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 12:10:36 PM
Thanks for the pricing 'rough estimate.' It seems like it would be pretty affordable and not that difficult to get it recut--and it sounds like I could get a pretty size-able stone for a good price...especially if I could just get the OEC cut cleaned up...
It is possible you might be able to work out an 'on approval' basis with the seller ( and get the details in writing) which could give you time to send it to an expert who could recut the diamond for you, and stipulate that you could return it if it was deemed unsuitable for a recut - IF the seller will work with you in this way ( they might not), otherwise you will have to take the chance or walk away. Also it could be that the diamond might end up considerably smaller depending on condition and what type of cut you want, but really an expert who can inspect the diamond is your best bet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 1:27:36 PM
Author: neatfreak
Also if there are many inclusions near the edge those might need to be entirely ''cut off'' meaning the diamond might become a lot smaller. If it''s a 2ct for $2600 there are probably some serious things wrong with it (unless it is a lucky find from someone who doesn''t know what they have), so it is prudent to make SURE you can get recut before you buy it if that is your goal.
Agreed. Even with a low colour, it''s very inexpensive for a 2 ct OEC. I''m concerned the inclusions might be quite bad or something else is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results