Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible to find a truly one of a kind cut/setting

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
travist223|1397086236|3650812 said:
Thanks...just throwing ideas out there!

I contacted Erica about the 1.2 ct...not sure yet, but looking better and better...
Just ask her if her bench can polish it off for you to get it nice and shiny, and ask her if it needs re-shanking (if so you'll want to get that done now). And make sure the sizing is right.
 

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
138
One more out of the box thought....she has an interest in frilly dresses, proper etiquette, English accents, Jane Austen, all that stuff. Says it relaxes her, seems to be a more appealing time period.

What at your thoughts on a Victorian ring?
 

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 30, 2013
Messages
140
Many Victorian rings are colorful and intricate with a lot of this and that. This may be something you could consider if she mentioned a great liking to this style of jewelry?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
travist223|1397090841|3650856 said:
One more out of the box thought....she has an interest in frilly dresses, proper etiquette, English accents, Jane Austen, all that stuff. Says it relaxes her, seems to be a more appealing time period.

What at your thoughts on a Victorian ring?

Victorian Styles were more yellow gold designs. Edwardian might be a better choice.

Something like this: http://eragem.com/antique-edwardian-era-old-european-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-solid-platinum-filigree.html would be lovely. Except it is sold.

But we can help you find something of that style.

Another option is to get an old european cut from Grace and set it in an Edwardian Reproduction setting. Which would be easier.

This one would be a nice choice: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/erika-winters-bridal/thea-halo-engagement-ring-333.html#.U0YI5VewWhE
With this stone: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/97ct-old-european-cut-diamond-egl-i-vs2.html#.U0YI_VewWhE maybe.

I'll look for options for you.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
travist223|1397099240|3650921 said:
http://trumpetandhorn.com/duncan.html

Interesting
that setting is gorgeous. The stone in it isn't vintage though. Wonder if they'd sell it without the stone. We could find a you lovely old cut for it.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
travist223|1397099824|3650928 said:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/179144759/edwardian-gorgeous-106ctw-old-european?ref=br_feed_2&br_feed_tlp=fine-jewelry
Has potential.
 

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
138
Sorry, Gypsy....not trying to waste your time....there are just infinite options...hope I'm not aggravating you by bouncing from one thought to another!!
 

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 25, 2013
Messages
109
Howdy to a fellow South Carolinian! I'm a studio jeweler and offer to you an observation, and a bit of advice. I live in Pickens County (rural, but with Clemson in the mix to make things interesting), and I don't see many women around wearing enormous engagement rings with fussy details and rows of pave. South Carolina isn't LA, and when I see someone here with a huge ring I assume it's fake. Others have suggested vintage rings, and I think that's a great idea. You'll have the uniqueness and history of an antique, and vintage rings can be a good value. I'd purchase from a reliable vendor with a return policy, and I'd make sure that the mounting is sturdy enough for daily wear. Older rings also tend to sit lower on the finger and therefore won't get caught on things as much. I'm liking the links that others on this thread have provided, and they merit further research. Good luck, and keep us posted.
 

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
138
patricias|1397100610|3650943 said:
Howdy to a fellow South Carolinian! I'm a studio jeweler and offer to you an observation, and a bit of advice. I live in Pickens County (rural, but with Clemson in the mix to make things interesting), and I don't see many women around wearing enormous engagement rings with fussy details and rows of pave. South Carolina isn't LA, and when I see someone here with a huge ring I assume it's fake. Others have suggested vintage rings, and I think that's a great idea. You'll have the uniqueness and history of an antique, and vintage rings can be a good value. I'd purchase from a reliable vendor with a return policy, and I'd make sure that the mounting is sturdy enough for daily wear. Older rings also tend to sit lower on the finger and therefore won't get caught on things as much. I'm liking the links that others on this thread have provided, and they merit further research. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Thanks Patricia! We're actually in your neck of the woods....potential for collaboration?
 

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Messages
2,990
travist223|1397090841|3650856 said:
One more out of the box thought....she has an interest in frilly dresses, proper etiquette, English accents, Jane Austen, all that stuff. Says it relaxes her, seems to be a more appealing time period.

What at your thoughts on a Victorian ring?
My e-ring dates back to the 1860's -- it's 2 emeralds with diamond accent stones set in rose gold -- and I love it [not surprising since I picked it out]. BUT there is no one-type-suits-all in jewelry, and antique-vintage rings are no exception. The "crude" cut of any old diamonds were not at all pleasing to my father-in-law, who was in the jewelry trade, so it's a good thing his son didn't surprise me with one of the rings his dad was suggesting ;))

Lang Antique & Estate Jewelry, in San Francisco, offers a wealth of information on their Antique Jewelry University web site & you might find it interesting fun to spend some time there. Here's the portal page, for example, for further pages on Jewelry History & Design Periods, but there's lots more:
http://www.langantiques.com/university/index.php/Category:Jewelry_History_&_Design_Periods

A couple of cautions:
* Many vendors know little about antique-vintage jewelry (or know more than they let on & are simply eager to cash in on this market). So you'll find items -- especially on eBay, but that's far from the only place -- being touted as, e.g., "Art Deco" when in fact the item is not of that provenance, or even faithfully reminiscent. That need not be a deal breaker -- unless age/history are important to you. After all, if you like something, you like it!

* Replica rings are not inevitably of fine caliber & replica merchandise from even the same vendor can vary. When I visited Leigh Jay Nacht (antiqueengagementrings.com) about 7 years ago, many of the replicas shown me were fine, others I would not have considered purchasing, usually because of uneven detailing. Based on the Yelp reviews, however, it does sound as if quality control there has improved. I live in NYC, so would be happy to pop back in there, if you'd like.

But all this brings me to my last, heartfelt suggestion:
* Do not have a ring sized, re-shanked or whatever before it is sent to you -- unless the vendor has an uncommonly generous return policy. In most instances, having such work done will mean it is a final sale or you will pay a restocking fee should you return it. E.g.,
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/policies/
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopcontent.asp?type=FAQ#Return_Policy

You're (understandably enough) not familiar with old cuts, and although many of us here adore them when well done (there are lots of poor ones still kicking around),they may not grab you. Plus, you might like a good OEC but still not care for an old rose or mine cut. And even if you know the size of the yellow gold ring she wears (I'm guessing on her right hand), that may not be the true size for the e-ring. Last but not least, pics can never be a wholly satisfactory substitute for seeing any stone -- of any vintage, be it a diamond or a colored gem -- in real life.
Bottom line: it really is best that you have the option of returning the ring (or stone).

*
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Rings to consider:

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-2409

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-6580

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-4403

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-4830

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-6557 I like this one.

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-6360


I understand what you are trying to do and why. I think it's smart to consider all the options in order to make the best decision you can. And I'm happy to help with that. :wavey:


For your reference, this is what a Victorian ring looks like: http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-4778 as you can see it's yellow gold. BEAUTIFUL. But might not be her taste.
 

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
138
Gypsy|1397110250|3651012 said:
Rings to consider:

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-2409

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-6580

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-4403

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-4830

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-6557 I like this one.

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-6360


I understand what you are trying to do and why. I think it's smart to consider all the options in order to make the best decision you can. And I'm happy to help with that. :wavey:


For your reference, this is what a Victorian ring looks like: http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-4778 as you can see it's yellow gold. BEAUTIFUL. But might not be her taste.

Wow that Victorian is beautiful.
 

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 1, 2014
Messages
138
Gypsy|1397099870|3650929 said:
travist223|1397099240|3650921 said:
http://trumpetandhorn.com/duncan.html

Interesting
that setting is gorgeous. The stone in it isn't vintage though. Wonder if they'd sell it without the stone. We could find a you lovely old cut for it.
They said the stone is vintage...gia I vs2.....83ct. Oec but gia wouldn't call it that because of proportions...what do you think?
 

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
3,517
travist223|1397153059|3651261 said:
Gypsy|1397099870|3650929 said:
travist223|1397099240|3650921 said:
http://trumpetandhorn.com/duncan.html

Interesting
that setting is gorgeous. The stone in it isn't vintage though. Wonder if they'd sell it without the stone. We could find a you lovely old cut for it.
They said the stone is vintage...gia I vs2.....83ct. Oec but gia wouldn't call it that because of proportions...what do you think?

IMO that stone isn't a good one at all. If they'd sell it w/o the stone the setting is nice. If not this is pretty similar

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2358
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
travist223|1397153059|3651261 said:
Gypsy|1397099870|3650929 said:
travist223|1397099240|3650921 said:
http://trumpetandhorn.com/duncan.html

Interesting
that setting is gorgeous. The stone in it isn't vintage though. Wonder if they'd sell it without the stone. We could find a you lovely old cut for it.
They said the stone is vintage...gia I vs2.....83ct. Oec but gia wouldn't call it that because of proportions...what do you think?
GIA's weird when it comes to old cut. So for me that's irrelevant. But the stone doesn't have OEC faceting. Can you ask them if they have any loose stones they can trade out this stone for? Or if they will sell it without the stone?
 

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
3,517
Gypsy|1397155642|3651291 said:
vintagelover229|1397153344|3651268 said:
I like this option. We can find a nice stone for it.

Depending on his budget there have been quite a few really nice OEC's on the pre-loved forums recently. I've been dying to see someone buy that setting for quite a few years now so I could get hand shots. :naughty:

I know of at least 2 of the top of my head (one I haven't seen info on but in my ISO thread on preloved I had 2 replies)

here is one
http://diamondbistro.com/category/215/Loose-natural-Diamonds/listings/37833/Reduced-TransitionalOEC-136ct.html

Here is another nice one
http://diamondbistro.com/category/215/Loose-natural-Diamonds/listings/37077/95ct-H-VS1-OECTransitional.html
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top