color
clarity

Possible to find a truly one of a kind cut/setting

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
hahahhaha :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops. I attached the wrong picture (sorry, I didn't mean it to be comedic, I'm not mocking your concern, and totally understand it). This is what I mean to post.

es1055-1.jpg

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
I also truely did not mean to cause offense, that picture was quite literal though. :)

travist223

Shiny_Rock
No worries...thick skin zone here!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want a truly uniquely cut diamond, going vintage is the way to go. Vintage stones are one of a kind, are like owning a piece of historical art, and are conflict free. If you care about keeping color on the whiter side, I'd look for a GIA certed J or up. (You could even go to K but it would show a beautiful tint). An EGL certed diamond might be a couple color grades lower. An uncerted diamond might be off by numerous color grades, so get a return policy.

I vote for the Bella Halo from Love Affair Diamonds with one of the OECs Gypsy mentioned. The Bella Halo is a truly exquisite and unique setting. You cannot go wrong working with either Jewels by Grace or Erica of Love Affair Diamonds to find an OEC or Transitional cut for this setting.

OR

The 1.20 J from Love Affaire Diamonds that Gypsy mentioned is a complete ring with a very pretty, generously sized OEC.
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-20ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ring-egl-j-si1/

OR

The OEC from Ruby Lane that Niel posted is a very rare color and pretty cut (make sure the ring is returnable in case the color grade is too far off since it's uncerted.) This particular setting is one of the prettiest simple antique settings I've seen. It is a very delicate ring.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/1039971-Ring-683/Perfect-1-18ctw-European-Cut

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been years since I've lived there, but I slightly disagree about the not having a halo because of the work she does. I was in a Southern state, rural GA, and worked for child protection. A high set solitaire drew attention, a cluster style diamond ring that was very low to the finger did not. Sure, it sparkles, more so than a solitaire in my opinion, and sure, it's can be attention getting, but it can also be very subdued. Assumptions are made about clusters that can benefit her in this situation. It's hard to pick out any single stone in a well-made cluster and the assumption is normally that it was purchased because it was less expensive than a larger individual stone. At least that's what I found with my clients. I think a bigger diamond with smaller diamonds around it, assuming it's not over the top, could easily without garnering too much negative attention.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're in very good hands travist, but I just wanted to say that I'm still smiling after reading your comment about needing to make her cry and your answers to Gypsy's questionnaire ::) You just... very clearly adore her, and I wish you both the best of luck :bigsmile:

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1396994887|3650041 said:
You're in very good hands travist, but I just wanted to say that I'm still smiling after reading your comment about needing to make her cry and your answers to Gypsy's questionnaire ::) You just... very clearly adore her, and I wish you both the best of luck :bigsmile:

I appreciate the kind words! Please feel free to put your $.02 in the mix...

I'm starting to come back to this one.....http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-20ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ring-egl-j-si1/#PhotoSwipe1396994758707

Just not sure about the stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
travist223|1396995583|3650052 said:

I'm starting to come back to this one.....http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-20ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ring-egl-j-si1/#PhotoSwipe1396994758707

The stone is a great size at just shy of 7mm and the faceting is beautiful. I would ask Grace to tell you what the GIA color would likely be, and ask her to either compare it to GIA masters herself, or have an appraiser/gemologist do so.

Old cuts tend to face up whiter than their stated color.

And I do think this one is a good fit, as you said she likes shopping in consignment and antique shops, so she would probably appreciate the history and craftsmanship of a nice older piece ... and the value.

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Help me understand....is this ring "used"? Is that what antique/vintage normally means?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
travist223|1396998977|3650083 said:
Help me understand....is this ring "used"? Is that what antique/vintage normally means?

Yes that's part of it. But it's more than that.

Used is just used. Like used furniture. Think about antique furniture -- the defining characteristic isn't that it was owned previously. It's the workmanship and the age.

Same with this. That diamond was cut before modern cutting. It was cut by an artisan to bring out the best in the stone. No two of these are identical. There are similarities, but each stone is unique. And they are really lovely. They have individual personalities as a result.

Old cuts is what we call them. And they are just lovely.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say that you're not sure about the stone, do you mean Old European Cuts in general or this particular stone? (as an aside, the setting is very typical of the vintage era, but I think it's nice when a OEC is not in a squared setting that disguises its contours.)
But please think of it as pre-loved, not "used"! :))

When fashioned for a ~1 ct. diamond, I honestly don't think the Bella Halo (which seems to be the one that you've been most drawn to) would be too much for her. It's a far cry from a ballerina ring

& the halo is slender, scalloped, with that lovely millegraine detailing between the accent stones; plus, you could have it made without the pave underneath, on the basket, which would also reduce the cost.

fyi re the Dogwood because it doesn't show in most depictions of that mounting -- there are additional, floral nubs on the lower shank, at the 4, 6, and 8:00 positions :

They bothered me (I had a loose, lavender sapphire that needed a home & tried the ring on in early 2009), but the staff at Greenwich Jewelers (they are a great team) assured me that Van Craeynest would be willing to eliminate those. If that would be a preference of yours as well, I assume that's still possible even tho' Van Craeynest has since been sold to new owners.

ballerina_0.jpg

van_craeynest_dogwood.jpg

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1396998768|3650082 said:

The stone is a great size at just shy of 7mm and the faceting is beautiful. I would ask Grace to tell you what the GIA color would likely be, and ask her to either compare it to GIA masters herself, or have an appraiser/gemologist do so.

Old cuts tend to face up whiter than their stated color.

And I do think this one is a good fit, as you said she likes shopping in consignment and antique shops, so she would probably appreciate the history and craftsmanship of a nice older piece ... and the value.

She said it was equivalent to K/L Gia

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's about what I expected. Lovely stone faceting.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
No suggestions to add, given you're getting plenty of help from some experts! Just wanted to say that your taco comment was awesome and I think she'll be so thrilled when she learns how much thought you're putting into this for her. Good luck!!

Also, some of the diamonds you're looking at are lower in color. While the old cuts are fantastic, not everyone likes tint in their diamonds. I chose an antique cut pear which I absolutely adore and it's icy white. I realized that I don't like low-color diamonds, even though I saw a KILLER antique asscher cut in an M.

Sorry if this makes your decision harder!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is her ring size, travist? How much of a size difference there is between a vintage ring and her size & the nature of resizing (up or down --neither is totally carefree) can have a bearing on the decision-making.

For example, everything about this lovely ring listed on Ruby Lane that Niel found for you
http://www.rubylane.com/item/1039971-Ring-683/Perfect-1-18ctw-European-Cut
is perfectly proportioned. But if you'd need to have it sized down by much from its current 7.25 ring size, that could be problematic because of the greater curvature required; plus, you'd lose the visual effect of all the detail now seen from on top/the full face view.

But no need to worry about how perilously thin the bottom shank (the back section of the band) has become from years of wear in that ring and, e.g., the Edwardian one you've just seen on Ruby Lane.. A skilled jewelry restorer can re-shank a ring where needed; retip the prongs to ensure that the stones are safely secured; discretely recapture the engraving that's been worn away as in portions of the Edwardian ring. I've had that kind of work done on a couple of antique rings & it's nothing to fear, provided the job is entrusted to the right hands... the rings were refreshed, and sturdier, but it's certainly not obvious that they've undergone "surgery."

travist223

Shiny_Rock
I know I want a vintage element..whether that be the entire ring, it just an old cut, not quite sure yet.

travist223

Shiny_Rock
1st and 3rd are nice

toaster

Rough_Rock
i just LOVE the bella halo! so pretty, old fashioned and modern at the same time and just GORGEOUS!

as a second pick.... i'd go with the 3 stone that gypsy posted

travist223

Shiny_Rock
I just had a flash of inspiration. But tell me if it's silly.

A ring with a stone or element from every continent...because I "want to give her the world".

Not sure how much that could cost though...

And also maybe it's too sappy. Just thinking outside the box...

CymoneD

Shiny_Rock
I think that the thought is VERY sweet! ::)

You may end up with a rainbow ring if you do the stone from every continent lol but maybe if you refine the thought and do an eternity band? (Just trying to help you brian storm hah :lol: )

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
travist223|1397076101|3650712 said:
I just had a flash of inspiration. But tell me if it's silly.

A ring with a stone or element from every continent...because I "want to give her the world".

Not sure how much that could cost though...

And also maybe it's too sappy. Just thinking outside the box...

It is outside the box. But I do think it's going to be expensive. And probably colorful. Maybe for a wedding day present you can get her a necklace with a stone from each continent? An Aussie stone A stone from North America, A stone from Asia, A stone from Europe and a Stone from South America and another from Africa?

Like a diamond by the yard, with 7 stations from each of the 7 continents? You could do small stones then and get a stock setting, so that would keep the price down. It would be much less expensive and a much nicer piece than a ring.

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Thanks...just throwing ideas out there!

I contacted Erica about the 1.2 ct...not sure yet, but looking better and better...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results