shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible emerald purchase?

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
To start- I have learned immense amounts from all of you and wanted to say how grateful I am for the knowledge and your expertise. So, thank you!
Next- I have been casually looking for an emerald for some time now (I am a spinel girl at heart but the more neon greens of some emeralds make my heart happy.)
This is one I am strongly considering. It is being sold by a vendor I have bought from in the past and I trust.
It apparently came from an antique ring from Japan in case that helps with provenance and history; it is being sold as minor oil. It does not have a certificate but the vendor will refund if it comes back not as described.
Normally I would not consider buying an emerald without a report, but this one really grabbed me in terms of color and glow. It is 2.04ct, ~7.4 x 7.7mm (I didn’t measure depth but it is fairly deep.)
These are unfortunately the only photos I have, but I know there is quite a bit of jardin (which I like.)
I am just wondering if the price I was offered ($1750) was fair (and I know there are so many variables for this, not looking for anything specific)- but if it is as stated, is that reasonable? 00620FF8-6B9D-467F-B3C1-7C5A81497EF8.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C63F56D-093A-485A-8CBB-82FE6DB4A7E0.jpeg
    8C63F56D-093A-485A-8CBB-82FE6DB4A7E0.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 19

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photos are pretty -- but are they representative? Photos tend to undersell emerald color. This looks quite vibrant but maybe a tad in the yellow-green rather than the blue-green direction.

Clarity is an issue and this is quite included -- perhaps beyond the charm and glow of jardin and heading into undesirable territory. I can not tell from those few photos and it would help to see it in the sun, etc.

The outline is wonky and is a bit of a red flag -- unless the stone is tilted relative to the image plane. The lack of a depth dimension is troubling (I have never known a reliable vendor to not share that). You can impute the depth by trial-and-error with a carat-weight estimator like Dendritics online -- just plugging in the data you know plus some depth guess until you "achieve" this carat-weight.

I would need confirmation from an excellent lab that it is "minor oil." Minor oil is terrific in my book. A lot of things are passed off as minor oil, just like a lot of corundum is described as unheated because "they weren't doing that back in the '60s" and other fictions.

The price-point for minor oil in that size range and for an appealing stone looks excellent. I just can't tell how appealing a stone it would be in person.

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your thoughts- I suppose I forgot to mention that these are my hands in the photos - this is a stone I looked at in person.
I would say the color in the photos is accurate- it does lean more yellow-green than blue. I certainly did have a little bit of a tough time photographing this stone in that I had to take a few photos before I got close to what it looked like in person. I also noticed that the photos make the stone look more included than it is.. but I couldn’t get the photos to look accurate in that respect so I posted these. I suspect that’s a lot of where the glow is coming from.
I would submit this for a report (wherever you guys think is best for evaluating emeralds.)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you love it? Is the stone as glowy in real life as in the pics?

It does lean more yellow green but if you love it, I think it’s a ok price, if it checks out as minor oil.

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
The stone is absolutely as glowy as is appears here. I do love it, but just want to be sure I’m not blinded by my knee-jerk reactions.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I’d say you have a decent price there. If that same stone was more bluish and closer to ideal colour, and with Colombian origin, it would cost at least twice as much, from what I’ve observed in terms of price. So the fact that it doesn’t fall into these sought after parameters works in your favour.

While technically yellow leaning green in an emerald is considered to be less desirable, I really like it. It’s a very fresh type of green, and on my screen pops up with almost neon like colour.

Since you’ve made arrangements and planned to have it tested to confirm the treatment level, I only have two pieces of advice not yet mentioned. First, make sure to have the conditions of the sale in writing so that the vendor can’t go back on their word. Second, keep in mind that a number of labs, GIA included, do not specify type of treatment on the report, only quantity. So if you insist on traditional oil and modern resins are a deal breaker for you, go for a lab which will determine what exactly the treatment is.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
I was also looking for emeralds on my phone, and found these two pics from my local shop here. Both F1s.
The trilogy was 2.5k and the other one was a loose stone that I was trying for a setting. I don't remember exactly the origin, but it came with gia cert. I think he wanted $500 for it. The setting needed an 8 mm stone. With emeralds you need to see them IRL to determine what you like in terms of color and intensity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240518_232643_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_232643_Photos.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240518_232508_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_232508_Photos.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 8
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results