shape
carat
color
clarity

Popping question? Don''t break bank

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
Did anybody else see this article in the paper today? Love the part about the tattoo on the finger. And clarity enhanced diamonds are a great deal!! Who knew?

"Popping question doesn’t have to break bank

By MEGAN K. SCOTT
Associated Press Writer

Published: Wednesday, February 8, 2009

Don’t despair if two months’ salary won’t buy your sweetie that diamond solitaire she’s been eyeing. Here are some engagement ring trends that won’t break the budget.

CHOOSE AN ALTERNATIVE METAL

Platinum has certainly come down in price, but palladium and white gold are much cheaper.

Palladium costs 75 percent less and white gold is 45 percent less than platinum, said Summer Krecke, deputy editor of WeddingChannel.com.

“If you are wearing the ring, no one’s going to be able to tell the difference,” she said.

CONSIDER ONE RING

Many women are choosing a ring that can serve as an engagement ring and wedding ring, regardless of budget constraints, said Harry Glinberg, a graduate jeweler gemologist in Wauwatosa, Wisc.

“Initially it’s going to cost you more because you’re paying for more,” said Krecke. “You’re really saving money in the end.”

If you insist on a separate wedding band, consider purchasing everything from one store, said Denise O’Donoghue, jewelry director for Brides. Purchasing an engagement ring and two wedding bands from one place may get you a better deal, she said.

CONSIDER A CLARITY ENHANCED DIAMOND

There’s no such thing as a completely flawless diamond, but a clarity-enhanced diamond is 50 to 60 percent cheaper than a natural, nice looking diamond, said Glinberg. On a clarity-enhanced diamond, the fractures or inclusions are filled.

Make sure a graduate gemologist looks at whatever diamond you are purchasing, says Glinberg. Unfortunately, not all jewelers are honest and they may try to pass a clarity-enhanced diamond as natural.

UPGRADE LATER

If you’re really short on funds, purchase a cubic zirconia ring and upgrade later, said Glinberg. He advises against Mossainite, a mineral that looks similar to a diamond.

“It’s less expensive than a natural diamond but still pricey for a fake diamond,” he said.

He said it’s better to wait and spend money on the real thing.

GO FOR A COLORED STONE

Spend 10 percent of the cost of a diamond and purchase a colored stone, such as a ruby, emerald or sapphire, said Glinberg.

Princess Diana chose an oval blue sapphire engagement ring, though hers was surrounded with 14 small diamonds. (It also was 18 carats.)

“They have that sparkle,” said Krecke about colored stones. “If you’re looking at yellow sapphires, it looks like a canary diamond.”

CONSIDER NONTRADITIONAL DIAMONDS

Krecke said she has seen a lot of brides opting for halo diamond engagement rings, with small diamonds circling a larger stone.

“It’s more cost-efficient. It’s timeless and it’s still just as beautiful,” she said.

She said raw or uncut diamonds are a great option for an individualist. A small rough cut diamond ring costs as little as $600, she said.

“They have this really beautiful brown tone, that ranges from champagne to light cognac,” she said. “It really falls under this whole organic trend we’re seeing.”

GO FOR A SMALLER CARAT

There are some brides who won’t be happy unless a ring is one or two carats, said Krecke. But even a slightly smaller carat can save you money at the register.

Purchasing a .90-carat diamond over a 1-carat diamond can save you $1,000, she said.

“And who’s going to know the difference other than your jeweler?”

GO FOR THE SENTIMENT

Cynthia Sliwa, co-author of “Jewelry Savvy: What Every Jewelry Wearer Should Know,” said she has heard of couples going with something other than a ring, such as a bracelet or necklace. There is usually a rational sentiment behind it.

The downside with a necklace is the wearer can’t actually see it, adds Sliwa.

Some couples find a beautiful antique ring or use a ring that has been passed down through the family.

“It could be just about anything,” she said. “What’s important is the sentiment behind it.”

TATTOO THE RING ON

A tattooed wedding ring is definitely a cheaper option, said Krecke, listing several celebrities who have done it.

“This is really for the couple that bucks tradition and is looking for a way to solidify commitment,” she said.

But she said a tattooed rings can be problematic. You can’t take it off like a wedding ring. It can take a long time to heal, especially if you use your hands a lot, and it may be frowned upon in a professional working environment, she said."

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of that "reasearch", and not one mention about shopping online.
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ixnay on the clarity enhanced diamonds! YIKES! They are not "a great deal" IMHO. You have to warn a jeweler every time they''re cleaned or worked on ... the treatment doesn''t last over time ... depending on what''s filled the stone can be much more susceptible to cracks & damage ... OOOOOFFFF.
No thanks!

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Clarity enhanced?

Holy smokes, not a good idea – EVER!

Something other than a ring?

Nope, that isn’t going to work.

A tattoo?

You have got to be kidding!

Buy the nicest ring that you can that fits your budget. That is always the answer. But that would make this article one sentence long and wouldn’t sell many papers.
2.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
How is this for a top tip:

Instead of ''traditional'' wedding bands. Why not draw your wedding set on your finger with a biro!!!! It is cheap and you can change your set anytime you want - for free!

32.gif
26.gif
20.gif
19.gif
23.gif

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Oh dear. This article is going to cause a few spats I am guessing.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 3:53:55 PM
Author: Steel

Instead of ''traditional'' wedding bands. Why not draw your wedding set on your finger with a biro!!!! It is cheap and you can change your set anytime you want - for free!
32.gif
26.gif
20.gif
19.gif
23.gif
LOL

MORE THRIFTY & ROMANTICAL TIPS!!!!

DON''T DISMISS GROCERY STORE CANDY/TOY DISPENSERS
Some lovely ring-like things can be purchased for mere quarters. Adjustable, visible, and fragile! She''ll be eating out of your (also be"jeweled") hand.

WHAT ABOUT THE RINGS OFF OF PLASTIC MILK JUGS
A dab of the super glue of your choice and that amazingly lovely open loop of blue or red plastic is re-secured in a jiffy!

RING POPS AREN''T JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE
They are the ultimate symbol of love + sweetness + unbelievable cheapness! Throw in a pair of edible undies for a night of passion you won''t soon forget.

ARE YOU FORGETTING ABOUT PAPER CLIPS?
Say you''re just sitting around, stressing about proposing -- what? What''s that? You''ve undone a perfectly good paper clip with your anxious fiddling? Just wrap that sucker around your pinkie and VOILA! No more pesky internet shopping! No postponing that big screen TV purchase! You''re ready for hot proposal action!

20.gif

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Author: Steel

LOL Steel.

Your option is not only highly economical, but allows everyone to design their own diamond, without limitations. So, for example, we can draw a HUGE 5 ct. diamond and tell everyone that it is a color D, flawless, ACA hearts & arrows from WF!

I think you are on to something, Steel.
2.gif

We should write a letter to the author of the article and let her know about this!
16.gif

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 4:04:59 PM
Author: decodelighted

MORE THRIFTY & ROMANTICAL TIPS!!!!

DON'T DISMISS GROCERY STORE CANDY/TOY DISPENSERS

Some lovely ring-like things can be purchased for mere quarters. Adjustable, visible, and fragile! She'll be eating out of your (also be'jeweled') hand.

WHAT ABOUT THE RINGS OFF OF PLASTIC MILK JUGS

A dab of the super glue of your choice and that amazingly lovely open loop of blue or red plastic is re-secured in a jiffy!

RING POPS AREN'T JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE

They are the ultimate symbol of love + sweetness + unbelievable cheapness! Throw in a pair of edible undies for a night of passion you won't soon forget.

ARE YOU FORGETTING ABOUT PAPER CLIPS?

Say you're just sitting around, stressing about proposing -- what? What's that? You've undone a perfectly good paper clip with your anxious fiddling? Just wrap that sucker around your pinkie and VOILA! No more pesky internet shopping! No postponing that big screen TV purchase! You're ready for hot proposal action!
ROFL decodelighted. That is absolutely hilarious.

And I think that these are all very practical ideas. I like the idea of making the ring edible, because you never know when you may need a snack, and while you are EATING your engagement ring, you will be reminded of how much you love your fiancé.

I think that paperclips would work well also, and your sales pitch would be perfect for an TV infomercial:

“So, you're just sitting around, stressing about proposing -- Well, you need some decodelighted proposal paper clips. Just wrap these suckers around your pinkie and VOILA! You're ready for hot proposal action!”

(And if you order in the next 15 minutes, you will receive a FREE food chopper!)

I’m sold, decodelighted. Please send me a box of those ring-making paper clips today!
2.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
What genius ideas.
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

mryan

Rough_Rock
of sure, now this info gets out there! think of all the $$$ i could have saved!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 2:42:17 PM
Author:allowingtoo
Did anybody else see this article in the paper today? Love the part about the tattoo on the finger. And clarity enhanced diamonds are a great deal!! Who knew?

'Popping question doesn’t have to break bank

GO FOR A COLORED STONE

Spend 10 percent of the cost of a diamond and purchase a colored stone, such as a ruby, emerald or sapphire, said Glinberg.

Princess Diana chose an oval blue sapphire engagement ring, though hers was surrounded with 14 small diamonds. (It also was 18 carats.)

“They have that sparkle,” said Krecke about colored stones. “If you’re looking at yellow sapphires, it looks like a canary diamond.”
**SNARK** Such broad generalizations make me nuts.

Pandora? MissGotRocks? CatMom? Harriet? Linda? (I'm sure I forgot a lot of people!) When you look down at your coloured stones do you think: "hmmmm, good to know it's only worth 10% of a diamond??!!!!"

LS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 4:57:57 PM
Author: LostSapphire

''Popping question doesn’t have to break bank

GO FOR A COLORED STONE

Pandora? MissGotRocks? CatMom? Harriet? Linda? (I''m sure I forgot a lot of people!) When you look down at your coloured stones do you think: ''hmmmm, good to know it''s only worth 10% of a diamond??!!!!''

LS
I think he meant the cloudy rubies and black sapphires at the mall.
9.gif

Deco, Steel and the rest gave me a good chuckle. Yeah, if you really wanna go cheap, how about a ring pop. It''s the thought that counts, right?
11.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 5:07:53 PM
Author: Chrono

GO FOR A COLORED STONE

Pandora? MissGotRocks? CatMom? Harriet? Linda? (I''m sure I forgot a lot of people!) When you look down at your coloured stones do you think: ''hmmmm, good to know it''s only worth 10% of a diamond??!!!!''

LS
I think he meant the cloudy rubies and black sapphires at the mall.
9.gif

Deco, Steel and the rest gave me a good chuckle. Yeah, if you really wanna go cheap, how about a ring pop. It''s the thought that counts, right?
11.gif

OOOHH, I get it!
31.gif

LS

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
I was kidding about the clarity enhanced. I did see on Good Morning America or Today Show during Christmas that they recommended you buy your diamond earrings on eBay and save a lot of $$ - I guess on those clarity enhanced diamonds!

As for saving money on that buying that emerald over that diamond? Good luck with that. (Emerald is my stone)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
33.gif
20.gif

....Whatever....

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
At least it wasn''t ALL bad... there were a few good tips in there (though you''d have to know the difference between the good and the bad, so there wouldn''t be a point to the article at that point...).

Date: 2/8/2009 3:40:16 PM
Author: DiamondsDiamonds
Something other than a ring?

Nope, that isn''t going to work.
I would''ve said yes to anything, or nothing at all!
30.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock

GO FOR A COLORED STONE

LS
That is really funny. Too bad the colored stone vendors on PS dont seem to know about this!!!!!
8.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plain gold rings???????

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
I''m partial to Cracker Jacks myself.
18.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 10:32:37 PM
Author: motownmama
Plain gold rings???????
Exactly. Skip the e-ring, and use plain gold wedding bands. Nothing says "married" better than these!

adrienneg

Shiny_Rock
From my own personal experience, clarity enhanced diamonds are BAD BAD BAD!! No matter what type of lifetime warranty the store or jeweler gives you, the filling comes out and the stone looks like crap after. They claim the filling doesn''t come out unless it is exposed to high heat, well that is total BS. I swear the filling on my stone came out when I was taking something out of the oven! One thing I never understood is why they would even bother to certify the stone after it was clarity enhanced knowing that the stone won''t match the inclusion plot if even a small part of the filling comes out.

Anyway, I''d rather have a plain silver band than a clarity enhanced diamond. Lesson learned! This was pre-PS days by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results