shape
carat
color
clarity

Popped into a Kay’s today & why I’ll never buy a diamond there!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Like @TreeScientist and @OoohShiny I too love having clothes that actually fit me made when I am in the appropriate locals. Suits with vests and great looking shirts, usually with cuffs for my cufflinks.

My best experiences were in Hong Kong and Bangkok. I tried flying to San Francisco once to visit the travel team from my Bangkok tailor, but the cost was more than double what I paid in Bangkok.

Those travel expenses add up and it had been less than a year, so my original suits were still in excellent shape. Resa and I had a great dinner and flew back to Boise the next day.

Wink

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you have any recommendations? Do you order online after they've got your measurements??

Go to Hội An. It's the tailoring/shoemaking capital of Vietnam. There's plenty of people that go to Hội An solely to do exactly what you said: Spend loads of money on bespoke clothing/shoes. But the town and surrounding area is absolutely beautiful as well.

I personally don't order online because we're back in Vietnam at least once a year anyway, but there's a few of the slightly higher end (Not better quality. Just better English and thus more expensive :lol-2:) tailors in Saigon that will ship abroad if you send them your measurements. But similar to what @Wink experienced with the Traveling Tailors of Thailand, the prices will be much higher for a shipped order as opposed to an in-person order... and then there's of course the shipping costs. It would probably still be cheaper when comparing apples to apples with a tailor of similar quality stateside. For example, a suit from Saigon that costs $400-500 shipped would be of similar quality with a suit in the $1000-2000 range from a U.S. tailor. But it's not the ridiculously cheap prices that you would get if buying a suit in Hội An (we're talking nice quality, full canvas, Italian wool 3-piece custom suits for $150, beautiful custom dress shirts for $15-20, etc) and the tailoring won't be quite as good, as they're not taking the measurements themselves and doing the minor touch-ups/alterations that they do at the follow-up appointment prior to final pick-up.

If you ever plan a trip to Hội An, let me know. I can give you recommendations on places to stay and good tailors there. :)

Last edited:

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to continue the hijack, but what is the typical turnaround time from measurements to having the suit in hand in Hội An?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to continue the hijack, but what is the typical turnaround time from measurements to having the suit in hand in Hội An?

4 days is adequate if you want a few different items (3 for initial production. 1 for any necessary touch-up alterations). They can do it quicker (some places can make a single suit overnight) but it's generally better to give them time. You'll get a better final product if you don't rush them. Plus, there's so much to see in the Hội An/Da Nang/Huế area that you could easily stay there a week to 10 days. :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the detailed info, @TreeScientist! :))

At some point I will try to get over there and deal with my fear of going to new places where I don't speak the language! lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results