shape
carat
color
clarity

Popped into a Kay’s today & why I’ll never buy a diamond there!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy all those things online :lol:

Ditto! According to the WSJ, we’re missing out on ‘the experience’. But we aren’t missing out on saving money and/or getting better quality, so I am in camp ‘buy online’ when it makes cents. :lol:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I buy all those things online :lol:

Ditto! According to the WSJ, we’re missing out on ‘the experience’. But we aren’t missing out on saving money and/or getting better quality, so I am in camp ‘buy online’ when it makes cents. :lol:

Ditto X2! Except bespoke clothing. I get that from custom tailors on trips back to Vietnam. But jewelry/watches, sunglasses/prescription eyeglasses, and other bespoke items I've bought online and will continue to buy online in the future. As long as you do your homework beforehand and go with trustworthy E-tailers that have good return policies, all of the "pros" of buying in person mentioned in the article are moot.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I know! Doesn’t address the stuff you are touching is (hate to use the word) crap! Online vendors just give more information!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP, that is a hilarious story - I am cringing for that store manager and I wasn't even there to experience it!

@Austina - That sounds terrible, I can't believe you had to experience that!

Nymeria

Rough_Rock
I popped into a Kay's last year just for fun. Their diamonds looked very sparkly. . . under the jewelry store lights. When I inquired about color/clarity/cut of one of the rings, the sales rep (I think he was the manager) was surprised that I could speak to those elements. It seemed obvious that his goal was to push their Leo line on people without any diamond education. Plus, the rings were horribly overpriced.

Nymeria

Rough_Rock
My husband doesn't understand why I buy online when there's such deals at the Jewelry Exchange.

Ah, The Jewelry Exchange. Where to begin? That's where we bought my first engagement ring because we were in a rush and knew absolutely *nothing* about diamonds. Thankfully @lioness steered me to PS once I started thinking about upgrading, and the rest is history. :)

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Ah, The Jewelry Exchange. Where to begin? That's where we bought my first engagement ring because we were in a rush and knew absolutely *nothing* about diamonds. Thankfully @lioness steered me to PS once I started thinking about upgrading, and the rest is history. :)

We bought my fiancé’s alternate wedding band (daily wear) at Jewelry Exchange, but would never consider a diamond piece mainly because their grading reports are old (some are over 5 years old) and I think they sell “pre-loved” diamonds at the same price you could get a newly cut one. Nor do they disclose if a diamond is “pre-worn”, which I think is shady. I’d rather get a “used” piece on Loupe Troop.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the ‘custom jewelry design’ and diamond event ‘show’ that the Kay’s manager was promoting, and suggested I make an appointment for this “once in a lifetime opportunity to pick my diamond AND have it set in my own custom ring right before my eyes!” :appl:

https://www.danaaugustineinc.com/

:roll:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Was this at a maul jewelry store? That's a pretty BOLD statement to make to any customer. Pretty hilarious - but super rude!

@Austina That was rude as hell! If the manager yesterday had directly dissed my diamond like that, I’d have sent her home early for the day crying, in front of her other customers.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was a mall store that was hosting a valuation day. The valuations were carried out by Safeguard who are affiliated with the Assay Office here in the UK, so very reputable.

I had the last laugh because the appraiser commented how well cut and what good quality my tanzanite was, and valued them at over twice what I paid for them. I had them reappraised recently as it’d been some time, and again, the valuations were extremely good.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be amazing if jewellery stores required employees to qualify as “Shiny Rock” status on Pricescope! Would save everyone so much heartache.

RIGHT! Instead they just focus on sales ... which just tells me they are the #1 BS artist in their district/region.

Nymeria

Rough_Rock
We bought my fiancé’s alternate wedding band (daily wear) at Jewelry Exchange, but would never consider a diamond piece mainly because their grading reports are old (some are over 5 years old) and I think they sell “pre-loved” diamonds at the same price you could get a newly cut one. Nor do they disclose if a diamond is “pre-worn”, which I think is shady. I’d rather get a “used” piece on Loupe Troop.
Bands are about the only thing that place might be good for. Agreed, that is indeed shady.

Nymeria

Rough_Rock
Here is the ‘custom jewelry design’ and diamond event ‘show’ that the Kay’s manager was promoting, and suggested I make an appointment for this “once in a lifetime opportunity to pick my diamond AND have it set in my own custom ring right before my eyes!” :appl:

Don't keep us in suspense! Did you make the appointment??

My smileys refuse to load, so imagine three ROTFLMAO emojis here.

L

lydial

Those are some really really really dated pieces. Not classic... dated. Not to disparage anyone’s favorite jewelry. But I bet they are also also quite expensive.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
legally I’d have to get their permission which would ruin the fun.

What state is this in? Typically, the legality of recording video or audio has to do with violating a person's "reasonable expectation of privacy". What people do/say in a public setting is considered done/said outside their reasonable expectation of privacy, so usually no issues with recording.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Some states require that exactly one person has knowledge of the recording (which can be the recorder!). But no matter what the legality of it is, it would be entertaining! But don’t actually do it!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He thought I was just being extra when I started talking about upgrading. Now? He cannot stop talking about the difference between the old ring and the one from IDJ. :D

OMGGGGG :lol::lol::lol::lol:

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
My husband knows I’d only buy at online trusted vendors. We recently went to Tiffany’s together and he was disgusted at the few questions they were able to answer about a 50k plus piece. How big are the diamonds? I don’t know. They range from D to G. Which are which? I don’t know. And on and on. My husband said, and they can’t tell us which were the B! D honey, D.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, Kay's - well, all those chain "maul" stores - are just awful. The very worst combination of ignorance and deliberately preying on people.

I do own a Leo diamond that I found in a local pawnshop. Based on what I've seen and read, it's one of the better examples. It didn't come with certs, but I was able to find them online after louping and finding the inscribed number. It was D SI1 on the cert, and I'm guessing that's not too far off. It's certainly eye-clean; under a loupe, it has a scattering of what look like tiny, tiny bubbles. It's also definitely colorless when compared to my GIA G engagement ring stone, although I don't know that it would make GIA D. It's quite brilliant - total edge-to-edge white light return - but doesn't, in my eyes, measure up in the fire or scintillation department compared to my engagement stone, which is a GIA "triple good". (Ugh - I know; we didn't know any better at the time.) I honestly don't have any idea how much of that is due to the nature of the Leo cut with all the extra facets, the quality of the cut of that particular stone, and/or other clarity characteristics that I'm not knowledgeable enough to identify. I'm definitely a fire/scintillation nut over brilliance, so it's my least favorite stone of all I own, but it's not terrible. I go back and forth all the time as to whether to keep it or sell it. I know some people just love Leos - I've kinda assumed they're folks that prize brilliance over fire. Not sure. :think:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OboeGal You may have lucked out and gotten a good/nice one.

I’ve personally not seen a lot of Leo diamonds to have a frame of reference, but I surely hope the one the manager showed me the other day wasn’t the best or ‘norm’ for them, as I didn’t see any fire/scintillation/brilliance that would have me think it’s anything special worth close to what they are asking for them. She talked up the extra facets in the cut, but all I saw in that particular example was a lot of carbon and cloudiness which likely diminished any potential good qualities the cut may have.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think I must have lucked out. I definitely don't see carbon or cloudiness. The faceting is reasonably crisp, but very splintery-looking with the extra facets - somewhat reminiscent of non-H&A round brilliant moissanites, but without all the lovely colorful fire they have! And it is definitely brilliant, but the fire is much more "pinfire" than in a normal modern round brilliant cut diamond. It performs a little like the narrow end of a pear or the two ends of an oval. The facets don't actually look mushy the way those can, but the fire has the same "pinfire" quality. When it's freshly cleaned, it's still basically pretty, but it's convinced me that, for my tastes, more facets are not better. I MUCH prefer the fewer facets and the on/off flashes and colorful fire of MRB and especially antique cuts! :love:

That one she showed you sounds just awful. And that was the one she picked to "show off" with! Sad.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Hi, @OboeGal ! I play the oboe, too. :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto X2! Except bespoke clothing. I get that from custom tailors on trips back to Vietnam.
I've always wanted to take a trip to the eastern side of the planet and spend a whole load of money on bespoke clothing - I've only got one Made To Measure suit so far and it is very nice :) but I would like to get more options!

I am a weird shape and struggle to find suits and shirts and trousers that fit me properly :( lol

Do you have any recommendations? Do you order online after they've got your measurements??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results